Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
V5 Concepts Thread; Let 'em loose here
Topic Started: May 8 2011, 04:08 PM (28,037 Views)
storyspoiler
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Hey, so I'm looking for ways to challenge myself re: characters. This is sometimes hard because all my character ideas come from, well, myself. So I'm hitting up the board here--hey, guys, what characters would you like to see Storyspoiler try to write?

Caveat: if you give an answer like "a normal person", pls define what you consider to be in the bounds of normality ;)

I wink at you, but I mean this in all seriousness.
--------

Alice Boucher was a liar.
Liz Polanski played with fire.

And who the hell is Radio Asuka?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

storyspoiler
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
I have to say, as the Person Who Loves Weird Characters, I love Cheshire’s “Fairy”. I think I may make a fencer (tall, dark-haired, female, epee fencer training for the Nationals, don’t know much else about her) who could be friends with him (she would offer him food).
--------

storyspoiler
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Mallory V:

Daughter of a professor, semi-serious fencer, GM of many RPGs at the back of the library. I envision her as the unofficial leader of a tribe of eccentric friends who also hang out and RPG in the back of the library. She's also fairly obsessed with the Renaissance and Medieval periods and tends to know a lot of random stuff about them, can make acceptable arguments in terms of, say, Aristotilian Scholasticism. Very academic-smart, would be a know-it-all but mostly oblivious and eccentric enough that people not in her crowd tend to take her actions as cute rather than threatening. Within her group, she is fairly charismatic, and often surprisingly insightful, despite couching things in archaic terms.

Yelena R:

Snarky, depressive high-schooler from dysfunctional Italian family with too many kids and too little love or money; self-medicates with pot. Mostly comes to school spunky and stoned, but is badly depressed about her life; thinks she's too dysfunctional to ever rise above her horrible family. Secretly obsessed with travel, the idea of "getting out of here", spends what money she has on magazines like Conde Naste Traveler and National Geographic, and writes mental fanfic of traveling to exotic locales. Also a fairly good photographer, although since no one's actually told her of her talent, thinks she's mediocre and mostly does it for fun.
--------

storyspoiler
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
@DocBalance--I like Lee. I'd put him at hacktivist over law nut--hacktivist sounds more exciting, and more likely to lead to cool pregame plot (though I'm one of those handlers who'll pick excitement over realism any day--just ask anyone else).
--------

storyspoiler
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Re-upped character concepts. Ended up grabbing Edgar Tolstoff, twin of decoy73's Katarin Tolstoff, and at around the same time, dropping Yelena, whose headspace was too close to the then-nascent Edgar's. Characters I currently have are:

Mallory Vandevere ~

Keywords: Delightful, Brilliant, Bizarre.
Activities: RPG, Cooking, Fencing, Choir.

Summary: Homeschooled by an eccentric professor father until high school; came into school knowing how to bind books and play the ocarina, but knowing nothing about either popular culture or how to deal with other people her own age. Luckily, she's wildly charismatic, and mostly makes up for her own oddities (Neoplatonic argument, knowledge of dead languages) by cultivating a reputation as an extroverted, honest eccentric. She's known for excellent pranks, enjoyable tangents, and running an intrigueful RPG set in the 16th century in the back of the library. She's the leader of her close circle of nerd-friends, and tends to be pretty well-liked even outside of her own circles; quickness and humor count for a lot, even in high school. Outside of school, she fences saber, adding to her outlandish in-school reputation.

Edgar Tolstoff ~

Keywords: Quiet, Talented, Perfectionist.
Activities: School Play, Choir, Quiz Bowl.

Summary: Twin brother to the popular Katarin Tolstoff, Edgar has, until late, been happy to live in his sister's shadow. Introverted, disciplined and shy, his own anti-social traits were compounded, in elementary school, by severe OCD that got him frequently pulled from school. Therapy and medication have largely cured the OCD; what remains is a nitpicky perfectionism and a tendency to repeatedly organize and hoard possessions. Childhood got him into solitary pursuits: books and music, chess and piano, and when his parents pushed him toward a sport, rock climbing. An interest in vocal music caused him to take up singing, first through voice lessons, then in his school's chorus. Only very lately has he started to get more extroverted: trying out for James Ford's production of Les Miserables got him surprise-cast as Jean Valjean, during which he found out he was a fairly talented actor, and enjoyed acting. Still quiet, thoughtful, and a little spacey in social interactions, he's nonetheless attempting to branch out his friendships.

PS Meems, I like Kara ;)
--------

storyspoiler
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Quick note: probably dropping Mallory's fencing/athleticism because, really, what fun is it to play a character who's too well-rounded? She's still brilliant, but now she's just a nerd ;)

I think I'm also going to put Yelene back on my roster, and end up with three characters--my full complement. So my snarky stoner is back. I also need more ways to develop Edgar's personality, and may mess around and change him dramatically before pre-game starts (boys are hard).
Edited by storyspoiler, Oct 23 2011, 08:05 PM.
--------

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Register for Free
« Previous Topic · V5 Pregame Planning · Next Topic »
Add Reply