Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
V5 Concepts Thread; Let 'em loose here
Topic Started: May 8 2011, 04:08 PM (28,087 Views)
Stark
Member Avatar
Nuts.
[ *  *  * ]
Owing to recent developments in my personal life, and a lack of confidence in my capabilities as a writer, pretend this post doesn't exist.
Edited by Stark, May 20 2011, 12:38 PM.
<Mimi>: You are much nicer than I thought you'd be!
<Stark>: Shut up, fatty.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Stark
Member Avatar
Nuts.
[ *  *  * ]
MK Kilmarnock
May 25 2011, 10:25 PM
Ms. Violetta Christina Angelique Lazula Raven Danya McCahn
A 5'11" blonde girl with one blue eye and one green/purple eye (yes, both colors. In one eye). Her hair, while naturally blond, has streaks of blue and black in it. She wears heavy makeup and dresses up in a gothic lolita fashion which clearly violates the dresscode, but because it meshes so well with her practically perfect body, the faculty seems to let her get away with it. She's fairly admonishing and downright caustic towards many people, but has a natural flair about her that makes her beloved by nearly all. She hates sports, but is secretely good at just about any sport she tries her hand at if she can bear to lower herself down to such a level. I'm thinking she'll probably be into anime, parkour, video games of many sorts (which she'll be amazing at, of course), and she might have a natural talent in playing the Harpsichord. Because fuck pianoes.

Thoughts/comments/praise/worship?
See? I'm just not up to the standards here.

Stark
Member Avatar
Nuts.
[ *  *  * ]
Lllllet's try this again!

Posted Image

Arquimedes "Buzzsaw" Sierra

Baseball player. Has the talent to go pro, and draws attention from Major League scouts. Popular among the student body for his athleticism and charisma, which is all he really has going for him. He's a chauvinist, a player, and kind of an insensitive, self-absorbed ass, but he's all these things with such gusto that he sort of crosses the line twice and you almost admire him for it. He's three/four generations removed from his ancestors' native Puerto Rico and doesn't speak a lick of Spanish, but he likes to affect an accent because girls go crazy for guys with accents. There are a number of stories and rumors as to how his nickname came to be, many of them he helped propagate himself, none of them accounting for what "sierra" is Spanish for.

Posted Image

Caroline Quick

It wouldn't be fair to say that Caroline simply turns up her nose up at anyone she deems beneath her. She's far more charitable than that. This is sort of a good thing, considering she deems everyone to be beneath her. But to be fair, why shouldn't she? She's attractive, she gets good grades, she's on the student council. People look up to her. She is the alpha wolf in this school, and she knows it. And she lets you know she knows it. She's perfect, flawless in every way, and she can't imagine anyone thinking any different. The concept is literally alien to her.

So yeah, bit of a narcissistic bitch. Of course, when you grow up as spoiled as she has, with literally no one giving you any reason to think you're anything but God's gift to mankind, humility just doesn't come to you.

Posted Image

Lisa Grzybowski

This is the one I'm the foggiest on right now. I won't lie, the concept originally started with little more than I just wanted to use the name "Grzybowski" somewhere along the line. By and large, she's a second attempt at Logan Sorenson from The Program, but she's gonna wind up undergoing a few tweaks before I'm done with her. Hell, she's undergone a few already, if not anything significant yet. I just thought the overall character archetype (tomboy, unrepentant troll, daddy issues) deserved more of a look than it ultimately got from me the first time I tried it. I'll update this when I've got a bit more to her than just "lol expy."

Stark
Member Avatar
Nuts.
[ *  *  * ]
@Iceblock: While there wouldn't be a girls' baseball team, it's rare, but not unheard of, that a girl might make a baseball team at the high school level, and a couple have even gone on to pitch professionally in the independent leagues, albeit with limited success; Ila Borders pitched four seasons in the Northern and Western leagues, and was actually fairly effective for Madison in 1999, and 18-year-old Eri Yoshida started eight games for the Chico Outlaws just last year. My baseball nerding aside, it's HIGHLY uncommon, but if you go that route, can make for a pretty damn interesting character if the inevitable prejudices involved are handled realistically, and I for one would like to see how that plays out with one Mr. Sierra on the team with her. ;)

Stark
Member Avatar
Nuts.
[ *  *  * ]
@Nadir:

I will say this with a bit more certainty than has previously been said, if without Lily's modly authority: What you are suggesting is medically impossible. The only way to convince a heart monitor that you are clinically dead is to clinically die, which meditation fails to achieve, and if it could, would be impossible to recover from. Critiquing his characterization is, I feel, not my place, but certain things aren't covered by that particular umbrella, and when you want your dude to do bend the laws of nature to his whims, I feel that's something that should be directly addressed.

So, yeah. There's that.

Stark
Member Avatar
Nuts.
[ *  *  * ]
You'll know how old they are when the admins tell you how old they are.

Other than that, try not to plan so much for what your characters will be on the island, and focus on who they are in the time leading up to it. You're only limiting yourself by planning that far ahead, especially when there's literally no information on V5, and really, it's more fun if you don't.

Stark
Member Avatar
Nuts.
[ *  *  * ]
@Laurelena: As far as Rachael goes, I'd suggest putting a little more thought into the concept, doing the research, and moreover, not letting the disability dominate the character. But then I may be biased.

Stark
Member Avatar
Nuts.
[ *  *  * ]
As an actual mute, trust me, she will want a cellphone. Writing everything she wants to say with pen and paper is not easy on the carpals, it's impractically time consuming, and it's realistically something one would save for one or two word phrases when no electronics are available.

As a mute from the Pacific Northwest, I can also say from experience that it's not gonna be a big source of bullying, unless it's just one thing out of many she's getting picked on for. Remember that she's coming from an intensely liberal region of the U.S, after all.

Finally, as a writer, I'm going to give you one piece of advice, in case it isn't something you've already considered: From the look of things, you're building the character around the disability, when you should be doing it the other way around. Stop for a minute, work out the character and what she'd be like without it, and then apply the disability and carefully examine what exactly it changes. The same applies to any other character gimmick. Figure out who they are before you figure out what it makes them.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register for Free
« Previous Topic · V5 Pregame Planning · Next Topic »
Add Reply