Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
V5 Concepts Thread; Let 'em loose here
Topic Started: May 8 2011, 04:08 PM (28,080 Views)
decoy73
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Okay. Here are my concepts, also known as the "Real People" (i.e. they are named and modeled after people that exist):

BENJAMIN BRADLEY: A friend of mine in the Navy. Gamer geek, but still athletic and friendly
STEVEN REID: One of my friends from high school. I'm going to make him an All-American sort of guy: intelligent, sports star, takes part in politics, both school and regarding the nation, popular, etc. Best friend of Mike Whaley (see below).
ROXANNE WADIA: The sister of Zubin Wadia (see below). Based off of my actual sister, whom I will almost definitely consult with before creating her profile. I'm not going to be playing her myself (because it would be RPing with myself, and I will already have best friends Steve and Mike), so I'll be looking for someone to RP her.
ZUBIN WADIA: The blatant self-insert. He's going to be me as of my senior year in high school. I'm afraid that I may have some trouble getting this guy passed because my experiences would give me some edge (when I turned 18, I had taken self-defense, and I had learned basic gun and survival skills from Boy Scouts)
MICHAEL WHALEY: Another friend of mine from high school. The only thing I'm going to tweak is I'm going to have him be adopted by a deaf couple (aunt and uncle), even though Mike and his biological mother are/were not deaf, respectively. Best friend of Steve Reid (see above).
Female #16: Jaime Schanbacher; Status: ACTIVE 0
Female #42: Sabrina Luz; Status: ACTIVE 0

V5 Characters

V4 Characters

Survivor: The Cursed Islands

Mass Effect Mafia - PLAY AND WIN

SOTF Survivor 2 - PLAY AND WIN
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

decoy73
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'd also like some critiques on my characters.

V5 Characters

V4 Characters

decoy73
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
@Fiori - About Donovan, it seems that he's going to be the school's outcast, based on what you've stated about him. I'm simply wondering - how self-aware will Donovan be? What I mean is that if he's unpopular, will he not even realize that he's unpopular, or will he know exactly what the problem is and simply not care, or will it be something in between? Less of a suggestion, more of a request for clarification if you've gone that far.

V5 Characters

V4 Characters

decoy73
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Three things:

• First, I've been doing some thinking, and I'm taking Ben Bradley off the table. Simply put, he is much too similar to Zubin Wadia to really be a viable character, and Zubin is a self-insert, so Ben's leaving. I do have a different concept though, everybody meet:

NICOLINA "NICK" CLEMENTE (Name pending): Her concept is that of "the beautiful tomboy." She's essentially a female jock, likely captain or star player of three varsity teams, and she would be the single hottest girl in school, if she wasn't one of the guys. She dresses in T-shirts and jeans or sweats, ties her hair back, plays "Detonator" at parties, and even goes by "Nick," as opposed to "Nicole" or "Nicki." This nickname was given to her by her male friends with no insult meant - she does recognize she's a female and would score a 67 on the scale in the next item.

Her beauty will only really come out in the following four circumstances: sex, showering, swimming, formal events, as they are the only time when she would ever expose herself or make any effort to improve her looks (She knows she can be pretty, she just doesn't recognize herself as the type to "doll herself up").

• Second, I found a scale on TVTropes (user created, not official) for sexuality (gay v. straight). It's from 0 to 100, with asexuality being undefined. The scale works as such:

100: A purely heterosexual person who is incapable of noticing attractiveness in their own sex, or even actively dislikes/considers them repellent. These people are extremely rare, though they do exist. (Often called Raging Homophobes, though they aren't always.)
    90: A purely heterosexual person who is capable of recognizing attractiveness in their own sex, though purely in the aesthetic sense.
    80: A purely heterosexual person who recognizes attractiveness in their own sex in more than the aesthetic sense, but is not personally attracted to them.
    70: A heterosexual person who recognizes attractiveness in their own sex, aesthetically and otherwise, and may even be attracted to members of their own sex, but strongly prefers the opposite sex.
    60: A bisexual person who recognizes and acknowledges attractiveness in both sexes, and is attracted to both, but has a slight preference towards the opposite sex.
    50: A purely bisexual person who finds both sexes equally attractive.
    40:A bisexual person who recognizes and acknowledges attractiveness in both sexes, and is attracted to both, but has a slight preference towards the same sex.
    30: A homosexual person who recognizes attractiveness in the opposite sex, aesthetically and otherwise, and may even be attracted to members of the opposite sex, but strongly prefers their own sex.
    20: A purely homosexual person who recognizes attractiveness in the opposite sex in more than the aesthetic sense, but is not personally attracted to them.
    10: A purely homosexual person who is capable of recognizing attractiveness in the opposite sex, though purely in the aesthetic sense.
    0: A purely homosexual person who is incapable of noticing attractiveness in the opposite sex, or even actively dislikes/considers them repellent. These people are extremely rare, though they do exist.

What do you guys think?

• Last, I've been thinking about the prohibitions on pre-made players. I'm wondering: does this work the other way around? What I mean to ask is, can I have a character for whom from the profile is clearly intended to be for a heroic, rather than villainous, character?

V5 Characters

V4 Characters

decoy73
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
@Tre and Kami: I should probably clear some things up regarding Nicolina (my mistake)

Regarding the sexuality, that was honestly my mistake. I was going to go all into how much of a bisexual she was and which gender she favored, but the answer is, since I didn't aim to have sexuality mentioned in the profile, she was and still is going to be straight. My bad.

Regarding her appearance, I may have made too much of a big deal regarding it. Nicolina is going to be a tomboy and athlete who simply happens to be attractive - maybe not among the top, but attractive nonetheless. Should she appear in a Prom thread, this will become more apparent, as it is the one of the few times in-universe that she will put an effort into looking "classically" attractive. In the other pre-game threads, and quite possibly during v5 proper, this attractiveness will likely by heavily downplayed, if mentioned at all.

ADDITION THROUGH EDIT: If anything, I am going to deliberately invoke the trope "Informed Attractiveness," if doing such a thing is even possible.

The whole thing about playing "Detonator" was an example - one that probably will be alluded to and have happened, but I'm not aiming to make Nick a constant partier - I simply haven't figured out what else she will be doing outside of sports (probably field hockey, basketball and lacrosse). A couple examples of what she will probably be like are v3's Evelyn Richinson and v4's Alex Jackson.

ADDITION THROUGH EDIT: Regarding Zubin (my self insert), I'm thinking of having him be somewhat savvy on how to play (having watched SOTF), and even having his own rules on how to play with the objective of survival (as opposed to playing to win), which is justified as being scared that he would be picked, although this would only work with a major timeskip to justify him going on any trip. I'm just wondering if this can work in-game

Also, one of my characters, Mike, is going to be in an unusual situation - he will be adopted by deaf parents even though neither Mike nor his biological mother are deaf (mother died in childbirth or when very young, and his maternal aunt and uncle took him in). He's going to be relatively normal, although he was a bit late in learning how to speak vocally and still is slightly uncomfortable with it (a sign of when he is stressed will be when he starts signing instead of speaking). I'm just wondering how much sense this would make, and if any tweaks should be made.

Lastly, so I don't seem like a leeching shitbag (pardon my language), here are some questions regarding the concepts I've seen:

@Rose - Regarding Rory Barton, I'm just wondering how his injuries still affect him today, in the physical sense?

@Sophie - Regarding Terra, is her condition of obsessive habitual rumination going to be treated in any way? I ask because you do seem to note that this condition is creating some severe negative consequences for her in general.

V5 Characters

V4 Characters

decoy73
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Okay, I haven't been able to give any real meat to Nick Clemente, so I'm dropping her for another pair of characters: everybody meet, from the 3.5 D&D "Exemplars of Evil:"

EDGAR TOLSTOFF and KATARIN "KAT" TOLSTOFF: Fraternal twins, Russian descent, very loyal to each other (as I'm thinking).

I'm probably going to play Kat, as if I play Edgar, I'd have four guys, and if he ends up a jock, I'd have three athletes, and I'd end up playing the same guy three times if I'm not careful. With that being said, this means that there are the concepts of Edgar Tolstoff (with whom you will have free reign over the profile, although we can work together) and Roxanne Wadia (whose profile I will be writing and handing off as described in this post). Also, since I may likely end up playing Kat, I have some framework for her:
  • Blonde hair, blue eyes.
  • Family is well off.
  • A little manipulative
  • Might be in the Bitch Squad, pending approval
  • Loyal to Edgar and her friends, but not a sheep.
  • Attractive cheerleader.
  • Heterochromatic - this will probably be due to a colored contact lens to correct vision difficulties, if done at all. She would also wear glasses as well, so people would know that both her eyes are blue
Any advice?

V5 Characters

V4 Characters

decoy73
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Couple things to add to that:
  • I will agree with Slayer on the firearms and survival training. It is a HUGE advantage, even in its most basic form, and without proper in-game justification, would lead to a swift denial. On this front, some good examples to follow are Ethan Kent, Peter McCue, and Simons Telamon and Grey.
  • The whole schizophrenia thing is also very shaky - in this case, I would say unless is is residual schizophrenia (as noted here) that is being regulated, it would be denied, and even then, it would be a bit of a long shot, simply because it is hard to realistically portray this type of medical condition.
  • The characters in v5 will likely be seniors, just so you know.
  • Last, his height and weight - 120 pounds at 6' 6" is just not realistic. I'm that same weight at 5' 5", and I think myself skinny. Someone who is six and a half feet tall at 120 pounds would not be attending school from school - s/he would be in the hospital for being dangerously underweight. You'll have to make Allen much shorter or much heavier. This BMI calculator could be of some assistance.

V5 Characters

V4 Characters

decoy73
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey, RadicalD. Looking over your profile, there's some good points and some improvements that need to be made. The good thing is that the appearance and hobbies and interests are nice and detailed (although you do not need to write the hobbies and interests in complete sentences), and I can get a decent idea of what he would be doing pre-game.

On the other hand, the biography needs some meat to it. The two questions I would like to see answered are "How did Charlie spend his childhood?" and "How did he pick up his interests?" The other problem is that Charlie seems to have some of the markers leaning towards that of a "pre-made player," someone who would have very little problem playing the game from the start - the big ones are that he quickly cuts ties with those who bother him, his coldness, and his ability to lie. Also, his smattering of general knowledge and source of his breathing problems should be mentioned in the biography.

Good to see some ideas coming around, and I can't wait to see Charlie develop.

V5 Characters

V4 Characters

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · V5 Pregame Planning · Next Topic »
Add Reply