Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
V5 Concepts Thread; Let 'em loose here
Topic Started: May 8 2011, 04:08 PM (28,758 Views)
Arscapi
Member Avatar
Anonymous Capybara
[ *  *  *  * ]

Bianca Howard –Has black hair and hazel eyes. Her skin is pale, but she spends a lot of time out in the sun. Bianca stands 5’9” and weighs 142 pounds. Bianca jogs on a regular basis which helps her keep her figure.

Bianca lives with her mom, who works as a clerk at a small law firm. Bianca’s dad had bounced in and out of her life, since the time her parents divorced when Bianca was 4. He swings from not caring to wanting full custody. Bianca’s mom dated only occasionally and Bianca grew up surrounded by the women in her family.

When Bianca hit middle school she became intensely interested in boys, especially those on a sports team. In middle school Bianca began dating a string of players. As such she is on the outside edge of the in crowd.

((I have a couple more concepts, but I haven't had time to get them off the drawing board quite yet. I wanted to get Bianca up her because I would love to work with some other handlers to establish a series of past boyfriends and maybe an a current one.))
V5 characters
Kaliska Day
Kathryn Nguyen G61 - deceased Start
Bianca Howard G45 - deceased Start
Logan Cadagon B16 - deceased Start

V4 Characters:
Thea Kairos - G067 - deceased
Alexandria "Alex" Jackson - G046 - rescued
Marion Summers - G074 - deceased
Gracie Wainwright - G081 - deceased
Samaya Boen-Hilstrand - G064-deceased
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Arscapi
Member Avatar
Anonymous Capybara
[ *  *  *  * ]
My concepts. I'm reposting Bianca mostly so all my girls are together.

Georgia Borden is 5'11" with brown-blond hair. She has a trim fit figure. She is an excellent student maintaining a 4.0 GPA Her goal is to attend an Ivy League university. Georgia is from a middle class family. Both of her parents own their own businesses.

Her father is a mechanic and her mother is a seamstress. Her mother works from home so that she can take bare of Georgia and her four brothers. Though her parents make enough for them to live comfortably, they do not make enough to afford the school Georgia dreams of. Because of this Georgia got involved in beauty pageants when she was in middle school. Her mother is able to make most of her clothes, which cuts down on the cost. Georgia is a soprano and sings in the school choir.

Kathryn Nguyen is an excellent softball pitcher, and she knows it. She's 5'5" and has dark black curly hair which she wears short. She's a fair student, her GPA just higher the minimum requirement needed to stay in sports. Kathryn’s family is very involved in fostering and training helper dogs. As such Kathryn usually brings a puppy to her games, to socialize them. Kathryn has two younger sisters, both of which are the same age. One is her biological sister and one was adopted.

Bianca Howard has black hair and hazel eyes. Her skin is pale, but she spends a lot of time out in the sun. Bianca stands 5’9” and weighs 142 pounds. Bianca jogs on a regular basis which helps her keep her figure.

Bianca lives with her mom, who works as a clerk at a small law firm. Bianca’s dad had bounced in and out of her life, since the time her parents divorced when Bianca was 4. He swings from not caring to wanting full custody. Bianca’s mom dated only occasionally and Bianca grew up surrounded by the women in her family.

When Bianca hit middle school she became intensely interested in boys, especially those on a sports team. In middle school Bianca began dating a string of players. As such she is on the outside edge of the in crowd.
V5 characters
Kaliska Day

V4 Characters:

Arscapi
Member Avatar
Anonymous Capybara
[ *  *  *  * ]
KamiKaze
Jul 16 2011, 07:07 PM
Hmmm... about the kid with deaf parents. As I noted earlier, I do have a character in v5 who suffers from hearing loss herself, as noted. I did go into a bit of research about the topic. Actually, a bit? I've been researching on and off since v4 pre-game. I don't know about what would happen in the scenario where a kid was raised with parents with hearing loss while having good hearing themselves, but I do know that in some cases of children with hearing loss (usually from birth), they do tend to have speaking problems and may take longer to learn how to speak. So, it does vaguely make sense. However, there is a good chance he'll have influence from friends, teachers, other caretakers, and so on, so his adoptive parents wouldn't be the only one in his life. There's also a good chance that he'll know ASL as well. What are his thoughts on the topic of his parents?

Since this has come up a couple of times I thought I'd point out some facts about language development.

We learn our native language as babies by receiving positive reinforcement from our parents about the babbels all babies make. My textbook used a computer analogy. When we are born we all have the software to speak any language. As we grow we listen to the sounds around us and start to mimic them. Our parents/guardians assist in this by reacting to sounds they recognize. Think: a mom showering her baby with praise for making the "mmm" sound. After a while our brain recognizes the patterns needed for whatever language is spoken most often. Children of English speaking parents learn English.

Children who are born deaf are unable to develop formal speech, then can make grunts but can not hear the feedback given or even hear what sounds they are making.

In any other situation children can learn to speak to varying degrees. The type and degree of hearing loss will effect their speech. The older they are when they lose their hearing the more "normal" sounding their speech will be. My cousin called me Nana instead of Anna until we were in our teens because that's what he heard. It wasn't until someone caught his attention and stretched my name out that he corrected it.

Children of deaf parents will almost certainly know sign language, but unless the whole family is deaf should develop language normally. TV, radio, and other family members would help the development. Hearing children from a deaf family will often develop the habit of signing while talking to include everyone in the conversation.
V5 characters
Kaliska Day

V4 Characters:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · V5 Pregame Planning · Next Topic »
Add Reply