Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
V5 Concepts Thread; Let 'em loose here
Topic Started: May 8 2011, 04:08 PM (28,081 Views)
MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hi, all! I just want to throw out some general advice. This is stuff from the V4 concepts thread, where I made a fool of myself when I was a newbie.

First off, listen to what karsk says. He is wise. He and Lily gave the same advice back in the V4 planning stages, and the best characters belonged to the people who listened to them.

But here's my personal entry here:

There are a few concepts that are really easy to grab when starting with SOTF. They are the foreign exchange student and the student with the missing limb/sense/strange diseases/psychological condition. These are easily the two most common "unique" concepts. They are also not all that original, and tend to lead to less interesting characters if they are the primary focus of the concept.

What makes a great character is an interesting concept, a cool personality, and, above all else, good writing. What makes a unique character is usually the writing. If you read the really famous, big name characters from past versions, you'll find most of them to be the most realistic, grounded characters in the game. So... write well, and you'll get more attention than you will by having a weird character.

Also, on ethnicities: it'd be super awesome if we actually had something close to reasonable demographics for the V5 school. I mean, nothing that can be done there until the staff says where it'll be, but yeah, something to consider.

Also, remember that the grade of the class hasn't been announced yet, and the per-handler cap has also not been set.

I guess what I'm saying is, have fun, but be flexible!

PS I see "tall" in about half of these descriptions. Remember, average heights can be your friend! We don't need Bayview V2.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Also, a helpful rule of thumb that served me well in V4:

We're really looking for realism here. Realism does not mean boring or generic. It does mean possible and not so rare as to be unfeasible (this is because we have to hold everyone to the same standards, and a school full of strange, one-off people would make no sense).

When you make a character, ask yourself this:

Does someone like this probably exist? Could they function in a normal high school? Would they have been possible in my high school? Is this a once-in-the-history-of-the-earth event?

Also, check out our V4 characters for a good look at the sorts of characters that get accepted.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Also, another warning for everyone: do not count on a four character cap for V5. I'm not going to say it for sure won't happen, but we've seen quite a member influx lately, and we won't want things too huge.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Basically, the rule is to be respectful and appropriate in your handling of things. There are racist/sexist people in real life, but remember that nobody is a complete caricature. Also remember that any character needs to be able to function in a realistic school environment without getting expelled. We've had a couple well-handled characters of the sort in the past. Specifically, Robert Jenkins is worth a look.

Also, please note that profanities and racist/sexist terminology in your profile will get it denied on tonal issues.

So... basically, make absolutely positively sure you know what you're doing if you approach that sort of character, and that, while the character may be offensive, you as the writer are not being so.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So... can't believe I forgot this for the past nine pages.

I see we've got a lot of new folks, and I actually threw together a guide designed to help new folks, especially with the character approval process. So, yeah, just throwing it in here in case it helps anyone.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Fan's advice is absolutely wonderful, not just for character with gender identity issues, but for all characters. So, yeah, I highly recommend following it. Naturally, some things will shape a character pretty significantly, but everyone is multifaceted, and it's important to remember that.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hiya, Vandal! This thread is actually a bit out of date (it was just revived for a bunch of April Fool's Day jokes about terrible concepts). Registration is already open, here.

Hope this helps! :)
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Not at all! If you want to chat concepts before actually drafting up/submitting a profile, here is a fine place to do so. :)
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · V5 Pregame Planning · Next Topic »
Add Reply