Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
V5 Concepts Thread; Let 'em loose here
Topic Started: May 8 2011, 04:08 PM (28,059 Views)
BetaKnight
Member Avatar
In some cultures, what I do is considered normal.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Nothing's really concrete with her, so I'm open to suggestions on how she should be written, if at all. I have a number of questions that need answering about her disability, actually. For example, how bad does a disability have to be before she can't go to a public school? What ways of helping her would a school have? Would she be able to go on a school trip, and under what conditions? How would people react to her on the campus? Is there anything else I should know about writing someone with this condition?

@ Kami and the issue of hearing impaired students - in my state, usually students with profound hearing loss (those who are classified as completely deaf) attend special schools where the entire student body and staff are deaf or come from deaf families. This is partly because all of the services required for those students are centrally located at one school and partly to foster 'deaf culture'.

Now, students with mild to moderate hearing loss are often mainstreamed into standard public school classrooms. Accomodations for them may include preferential seating at the front of the room or a pocket amplification system that they take from class to class with them (teacher wears a mic while the student wears earpiece). They may even have an interpreter or aide who travels from class to class with them who also helps with note taking and such. The student would probably also have Resource class as an elective period to help them get their work done in a timely fashion and provide academic support.

I've had three students who are legally deaf (which means they have serious hearing loss but do hear some sounds and tones) and the other students haven't treated them any differently than they do other students. Part of that comes from the fact that they have all been in class together for years. My hearing impaired students did go on field trips and outings, but the other teachers and staff involved are usually briefed about their condition and any special needs the student would have. At least one of the teachers chaperoning is a teacher who is familiar with that student, and they generally take it upon themself to keep a closer eye on that student.

Also, thank you for asking these types of questions! They are well-thought out and show that you are working on realism rather than a dramatics factor. I much prefer to try and help people with stuff like this *now* rather than having to deny profiles for it later.
Edited by BetaKnight, May 8 2011, 09:10 PM.
Version 5
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

BetaKnight
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
@ Rocky - Well, Angelica's educational options would depend a lot on her grades prior to her overdose and her facility. I don't know a lot about rehab facilities, let alone ones that take in minors. I would imagine that a facility with lots of minors might have their own tutor/teacher to help their clients catch up and prepare for their eventual return to school.

If she only missed the end of her junior year, she might have been placed on independent
study, which would have consisted of packets of work and assignments for each teacher that would need to be turned into the school on a regular schedule. However, if she was not doing well prior to her overdose, her school would probably simply transfer her to the continuation/second chances school in order to allow her to make up her missing credits.

One small issue with your tentative timeline. The middle of second semester of schooling would be right around the middle of April. Six to eight months after April puts her getting out of rehab in the middle of October up to the middle of December. Which works, I suppose, but might hamper your pre-game envolvement.

Version 5

BetaKnight
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
D/N
May 23 2011, 02:27 PM
Just a couple observations.

1) Yes, there are already way too many bands/musicians being thought up.

2) That doesn't mean we should work the entire v5 school around that. This is the CONCEPT thread. Half these students won't make it to pregame, let alone v5. Anyone remember the ten million drama students and great drama program and big school play that Bayview was supposed to have?
While I am normally one of our more vocal complainers about trends that seem to get out of control, I don't see any issue with the bands/musicians. Personally, at my high school's talent show, we had a full ten bands competing. Some schools just run high in the music department.

And on the failed drama production of v4, that wasn't staff run and handler interest petered out. It wasn't necessarily a bad thing. It just means that people who are interested in things like that for v5 probably need to do more group planning and implementation in order to get something like that off the ground instead of just going "ooooh, it would be cool if...."
Version 5

BetaKnight
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
With this talk of racism and sexism, I have to admit, I'm kicking around the idea of making a Caucasian male who has whole-heartedly embraced "urban" culture. I'm thinking everyone thinks he's a joke but hopefully tolerate his behavior on the grounds that it's mostly amusing. I'm having trouble moving him from solely caricature to fleshed out person so I'm open to some suggestions.
Version 5

BetaKnight
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I was thinking more along the lines of Jamie Kennedy in "Malibu's Most Wanted" but I suppose Ali G is an equally acceptable example. c:
Version 5

BetaKnight
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
You know, Decoy, I don't mean to be mean, but I'm not really seeing how "Nick" is terribly different from v4's Charlene "Chuck" Norris. Both girls have "masculine" nickname give by male classmates, there's the same "she's too hot" aspect, focusing on drinking at parties (the "Detonator" and jello shots correlation), and same "star athelete" attributes.

Maybe, rather than focus on her being so incredibly hot and the phsyical aspects of a female character, you might want to consider focusing on a different aspect of her personality. Like a hobby or some other not-physically related trait. And the comment about her beauty during sex, to be honest, I find kind of disturbing. Wouldn't the person she was having sex with already think her attractive? Isn't that why they'd be having sex? And is there some kind of audience to see her having sex to decide "wow, this chick is hot as hell while getting down!" ?

Also, in all my time RPing, I've noticed that players tend to react badly when an individual tries to dictate how their characters respond to a person or situation.
Version 5

BetaKnight
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Okay, I've been watching the evolution of Rachel and her mutism. There is one thing that's really bothering me, and it's the pen and paper aspect of her communication with everyone. Many, many people in the deaf and differently abled communities have embraced technology to aid in their communication with the hearing world.

Why does Rachel rely on pad and paper when she could just use her cell phone to text message? Or even better, have a touch tablet so that she could just "write" what she is saying? You could even have a touch tablet that has the speech snythesizing software on it, like students with cerebral palsy have used for over 15 years!

This eliminates the potential of people having difficulty reading her handwriting when she's writing quickly AND the issue of the sheer number of pages she's going to go through in a day to communicate with her classmates, teachers, and the rest of the world.

Granted, on the island, she would need pen and paper or else she'll really be mute, but at school, logistically, it would be more feasible to have her use technology. And almost all computers have that "speech capable" software on them already. It doesn't need to be anything special.
Version 5

BetaKnight
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
If Rachel needs a computer for use at school in order to put her in her least restrictive learning environment, the school has to provide one. It would be provided to her at no cost by the school. And as for the breakage issue, since it would be school property, that might really deter people from breaking it as a part of her bullying.

Also, I have a real problem with the alleged severity of Rachel's bullying. No school staff at all has notice that Rachel is regularly roughed up and harassed? I can understand if people say things to her, make comments about her, and exclude her, but having her equpiment damaged constantly seems a little farfetched.
Edited by BetaKnight, Nov 11 2011, 03:51 PM.
Version 5

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
« Previous Topic · V5 Pregame Planning · Next Topic »
Add Reply