Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
V5 Concepts Thread; Let 'em loose here
Topic Started: May 8 2011, 04:08 PM (28,040 Views)
xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
@Chib I would like to confuse James Ford who doesnt watch much TV with numerous Lost references. Perhaps people call him Sawyer sometimes but he doesn't know why?

In other news, I have two ideas, plus a whole host of more abstract ones.

1. Phoebe Cho, second generation Korean, born and raised in whatever area we go for. Pretty, quiet, plays piano and violin. Works hard, so gets good grades despite not being that naturally intelligent. Always wears a flower in her hair corresponding to whether she is in a relationship or not (over right ear means single, over left means taken), even if nobody gets the reference. I like the idea of her having a boyfriend (a nice boy that her grandparents would approve of), then if he dies, she moves the flower to the other side. DRAMATIC.

2. Ava Tunney. Kind of tough looking, I'm thinking that there were rumours around that she was a lesbian for most of her life due to her tomboy nature and lack of desire for a boyfriend. Not decided if she is one or not yet, maybe she hasn't decided either. I think she was born in the nearest big city, like a really big city. Chicago or Detroit, someplace kind of tough sounding, if you get what I mean. I also have this vague idea that her Mom got shot (maybe she was a cop or something) when she was in middle school, causing her to be sent to live with her Dad, who's in whatever place v5 intends on coming from. And this means that she's determined to join the police to find whoever killed her mother. But I'm thinking this storyline might be a bit overly dramatic so it might end up going. Not sure. Also, I like the idea that she set up a women's rubgy club at the school and bullied people into joining it.

As for others, I have vague plans for a Del Boy type character, selling sweets at school, buying dodgy stuff and trying to sell it on, maybe dabbling a little in drugs. He needs a name, I'm leaning towards Alistair - shortening it to Ali, Sean or Shane. He's of Irish or Scottish origin.
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

shiny shiny V5 concepts (now with clickies)
Phoebe Cho - I shall be playing Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor. Wizard!
Harry Hanley - I've got Hershey's at half price today! Get 'em quick before I have rehearsal!
Lor Van Diepen - I'm gonna make a video later. About running. Does that sum me up enough?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
Couple of thoughts I had while rereading this thread

@ Acidic - I would LOVE to see synthaesthesia in a character, because people always look at me like I'm mad when I tell them that a H is brown and an A is red while O is white and I'm like "noo! It's a real thing, other people do it too!". I didn't even realise that this was an unusual way to think until I saw an episode of QI that mentioned it, the "what colour is Monday?" section (it's blue). What struck me in your description was the comment about her reporting that she was hearing colours. To her, hearing colours is a totally ordinary thing, not one that she would mention in a state of surprise, until they find out it's something unusual, the vast majority of synthaesates will think they're normal until they hear otherwise (on a TV programme - psh)

But reiterating what someone else has said, it's a cool little quirk of nature, but it doesn't really define a person. I'm barely aware of it most of the time, it helps me to spell and remember things, and the vast majority of people don't know I have it. Quite a good topic for small talk though.

Okay, I had more, but in typing that out I've forgotten them (multitasking fail), I'll edit when I have time to reread the thread again and remember what I was thinking of.

Edit - ok, while pretending to drum along to Snow Patrol, I decided that I want to make a female drummer.
Edited by xylophonefairy, May 11 2011, 06:22 PM.
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

Phoebe Cho - I shall be playing Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor. Wizard!
Harry Hanley - I've got Hershey's at half price today! Get 'em quick before I have rehearsal!
Lor Van Diepen - I'm gonna make a video later. About running. Does that sum me up enough?

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
@Acidic - feel free!

I got around to doing some reviews. Just started at the beginning so apologies for anyone who posted later. If I develop more boredom I'll do more! Not that any of them are in any massive detail!

@ Un67 - I really like the concept, especially her working hard at school and trying to avoid arguments between her parents, you could possibly tie these two together, so she works hard at school to stop her parents fighting. Also, make sure you look into chronic stress, it causes a TON of physical symptoms click me!, some of which she might suffer with. Just sometrhing to think about!

@ storyspoiler - someone with a pet monkey that they sneak along on the trip. That probably wouldn't even be allowed. OH, it should be a weapon - trained monkey! That would be beyond awesome.

@ T-Fox - Ooh, a female drummer. I want to make a female drummer too (see above post about air drumming), we should have bitchfights over who is better at it. They could throw drumsticks at each other. The other two seem to be pretty good starts, obviously they aren't fleshed out much so there's only so much I can say, but I like the beginnings.

@CondorTalon - I'm just wondering, with the nationalities, are they like their parent's or do they come from those countries? As in, were they born and raised in the USA? Because if so (and it's the whole American perception of nationality that I'm only just starting to get my head around) then that's great, if not then you have a lot of very exotic characters! Other than that, I love how contrasting they all are so you shouldn't get too much overlap between them. That's a good thing, means you get to RP with lots of other people rather than just yourself!

@Renard - I like Darren. I'm assuming that as he's a self insert you must have a bit of knowledge of Aspergers which is good, because personally there's nothing that breaks my heart more than a badly portrayed medical condition. Also, obsessively making lists is a FUN trait, I had a character once that did that. If he ends up going a bit crazy in game he could start making lists of people he needs to get revenge on and the such. Endless hours of fun. The class disappearance thing is very interesting, and I'm curious to hear more about it. Was anything ever found out or was it a true Mary Celeste situation? Or were they an early trial run of SOTF? Intruiging, and I like how you said how this affected her character. I love Sandra's double bluff, and OOH baby.

@Goose - A short male! Otherwise, he's an interesting paradox, when you say "mess with his friends" is that in a fun, teasing kind of way or in a "I want to screw with your mind because it's fun to see you confused" kind of way? Because the first works better with the second part of his character, and vice versa. In other words, I am very confused by him. As for Michael, I love rebellious politicians children (I only know 1 child of a politician in real life, and he's like a walking spokesperson for that party, it's really dull). You should really play up him fanning his ego, that's a great trait. Kiziah is an interesting concept, one that I know I wouldn't have the guts to do! I like the gullability trait, one of my concepts is a bit of a joker that would love to mess with her a bit!
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
@ Slayer

He should be the opposite in every way possible. Except maybe one similarity that people point out to him all the time...
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
If we want a more traditional band then Phoebe'll be in it.

Also, I remembered that when I first thought of her months ago, she played the electric violin alongside her traditional one. Looking like this or this. There was a guy at my school with an electric violin and I remember just thinking it was the coolest thing ever...
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
DocBalance
Jun 30 2011, 05:05 PM
Edith West:

Again, very strong concept. I would caution you about the Synesthesia, though, it's going to have to be a constant factor in every situation. It's a big undertaking, and while I'm certain you are up to the task, it's going to require a lot of fore-thought and may make things complicated for her how you've described her. Shouting matches and bursts of color triggered by loud noises don't generally lend well to each other, but that may be something you can incorporate as well. All in all, I wish you the best of luck, because if done well this could be a fascinating character.
I don't know about people who have it more strongly, but I'm quite able to ignore it.
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
Do you reckon Naomi would be convinced into joining Ava's Women's Rugby team? After all there are similarities between rugby and American football (though I am required to say by national default that rugby is obvs. better). Basically she decides she wants to start one some time before pre game and tries to get as many people as she can to join it. I'm open for her plan to fail miserably.

Also, I have new concept. Woo. His name is Harry Hanley, which may have to change as I'm imagining it being said in a cockney accent, which he wouldn't have. But for now, Harry. He's a bit of a businessman, he drives out to large out of town stores and bulk buys chocolate to sell at a markup on school campus in lessons and such. He also sells calculators and pens just before exams, buys in anything that's popular at that time, he's very responsive to his crowd. He's charming, a little bit dodgy. He would probably be described as 'cute', but in the 6 year old sense, with fluffy brown hair, bright blue eyes, a roundish face with a mischevious expression and freckles. His parents are divorced and he lives with his Mum and sister, but they have a good relationship with his Dad, who owns a popular second hand car dealership. Harry promotes this business and offers to source people cars for a slight discount (maybe 0.5%) for being his school friends. I reckon he works there a lot too, though he dreams of bigger things...

He could well have a dramatic streak as well, and I'm not averse to giving him a singing ability so he could be in this Les Mis production that's milling around this thread somewhere. Maybe as Thernardier? I can see him singing Master of the House, it would fit his slightly unscrupulous nature. Also, being in the musical would take up time and possibly harm the relationship with his Dad (less time to help at the dealership and all) which would provide good drama.
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
Slayer
Jul 23 2011, 06:55 PM
xylophonefairy
Jul 23 2011, 06:28 PM
Do you reckon Naomi would be convinced into joining Ava's Women's Rugby team? After all there are similarities between rugby and American football (though I am required to say by national default that rugby is obvs. better). Basically she decides she wants to start one some time before pre game and tries to get as many people as she can to join it. I'm open for her plan to fail miserably.
Would they even have anyone to play against? Or is that why it fails miserably? :P
Ha, yes, good point. They train themselves up and decidde to organise their first match.....

Depending on location, there might be some college teams they can play against. From my 3 second research into this just now, there do appear to be a fair number of college women's rugby teams. Penn State and Stanford (oh, Stanford) seem to be quite successful.
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
« Previous Topic · V5 Pregame Planning · Next Topic »
Add Reply