Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
V5 Concepts Thread; Let 'em loose here
Topic Started: May 8 2011, 04:08 PM (28,110 Views)
nope
Member Avatar
throw that pussy like i'm famous
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Just to head off something that ended up being a problem v4 thread: please please please don't post full rough-drafts of profiles in here. It makes the thread a major pain in the ass to trawl through, & we don't need nearly that much info to talk about/critique a general concept. Something super-abbreviated like what Acidic's got up there is fine & dandy, but posting much more than that will just make things messy

anyway, @Acidic: I can totally appreciate wanting to play around with something as interesting as synethsesia, but I'd really strongly advise not basing a character around a disorder, esp. one you're not personally familiar with. Things like that have a nasty habit of turning into a gimmick or crutch (whether the writer means for them to or not) & there's so many other things you'd have to be careful about, like how the school system would handle the student's needs, how it would affect them in a high-stress situation like the island, how's it's shaped their lives & how they act/think/behave because of the disorder, etc etc. There's a real risk for it to turn into something that's honestly not worth the effort in this kind of setting.

If you're going to go ahead with it, just be very careful to develop a strong character that could stand out even without the disorder. If you feel like it's making them a weaker character or you might let them slip into a fodder role because they're too difficult to write, I'd def say you should drop it

@Besty: I'm looking for some challenges for v5 too. I think I've got two solid concepts already, but it'd be fun to chat about. I might PM you later or something <3
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

nope
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
@Chesh: Would you mind me giving what you've got for Fairy a quick critique? It's not so much the "weirdness" that bothers me, but I feel like there are a few things you have there that would make him a tough fit for v5 that I'd like to address (esp. since some of it applies to a few other concepts in here). Only if you're cool with it tho

nope
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Can we stop adding new rules to this thread every page, guys?

This is a concept thread. If you wanna share, post concepts (not profiles). If you want input, ask. If you want to give input, give it. That's all there is to it. Let's not overcomplicate it. We've pulled these off before, I think we can get by again just fine without rewriting the rulebook every few posts.

& while i'm here, @Cheshire: Your critique's still coming, sorry! I'm just slow as hell (ask outfoxd, he will back this up :'( )

nope
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alright, since we've now got three conflicting ideas about how this thread's supposed to be going here (& more posts about etiquette on this page than actual concept talk right now), let me try to untangle this some:

I. Dan is right that the usual forum etiquette is that you should be willing to give critiques before you request them yourself. Unlike the actual island critique threads, it's not a requirement here, but it is strongly encouraged.

II. However, if you're new/unsure about the standards around here, feel free to ask for feedback first before you start giving any yourself. We have a fantastic staff & lot of dedicated members around here that would love to help

III. Critiques are not the sole purpose of this thread. It is also meant for planning & more general feedback. You don't need to be giving or receiving critiques to participate in this thread

Everyone good now?

nope
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Write what you know. If you're going to write a handicapped character, do your homework & handle it sensitively & realistically. I'm honestly going to recommend you don't. I rarely see handicaps handled well around here (with some very notable exceptions. see: R.J. Lowe). If you're dead set on doing it, make very, very sure you're doing it right.

nope
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
@Grimm: Just make sure you do your homework. Read up on gender identity, the gender/sexuality spectrum, transgenderism, etc. Be sure to write concepts like this sensitively. We have several trans* members who would really appreciate you for it. & remember to take into account how her physical sex will come into play in what sports she participates in, & anything else you'd need to handle. & be careful with the pronouns: if she identifies as male, her gender is male & the proper pronoun would be "he", regardless of physical sex.

Same goes for you, Ian & Nadir. I can post some resources in here for you guys if you're having trouble reading up on your own.

nope
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Super Llama
Jun 15 2011, 09:39 PM
Well, Hiro's crossdressing isn't so much a case of gender identity as it is wanting to look tougher than her 5'0" looks-like-she-could-be-blown-away-by-a-strong-gust-of-wind body would allow.
The "reverse trap" talk worries me a little, then. Remember that the idea of gender binary is a big thing here. If you're not acknowledging that, she's going to come off as very anime-ish & unrealistic. If you're going to have her dress & act in a masculine way, whether she identifies as male or not, she's going to run into social issues over perceptions of her gender. Be sure to handle it respectfully.

nope
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
along with my agreement with the two lovely gents above me, i wanna throw in this fantastic article courtney showed me: http://www.calpernia.com/transsexual-cliches-and-stereotypes-in-media-2/

if you are considering a trans* character, read it

nope
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
http://books.google.com/books?id=CZS_yDoFV7AC&lpg=PA873&ots=8b_mhqV8nA&dq=degrees%20of%20synesthesia&pg=PA873#v=onepage&q=degrees%20of%20synesthesia&f=false

http://web.mit.edu/synesthesia/www/

http://www.mixsig.net/

do your homework before you critique a concept, guys.

nope
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
There's a reason I linked simple sources. You don't need to be an expert on a character's situation , but you should have the courtesy to do some quick google searches to familiarize yourself before you comment. The last two links were two of the top hits of synesthesia on google, & the first link was the first hit for "degrees of synesthesia" in google books. they all mentioned the varying degrees & types of the condition

handlers are expected to put some research into their concepts if it's needed, & the same should go for critiquers. it's fantastic that you guys are jumping in, but make sure you've got the info to back yourselves up if you're talking facts

nope
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
it's np, I wasn't trying to call you out or anything. Just something to keep in mind :)

nope
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
That scale just looks like an extended version of the Kinsey scale. & the Kinsey scale is, quite honestly, a really bad & inaccurate tool for measuring sexuality.

Sexuality isn't just gay vs. straight. There's pansexuality, asexuality, sexuality in the context of genderqueer people (pangender, agender, third gender, etc), aromantic vs. romantic sexuality, blah blah blah. For a lot of people, sexuality is fluid. Thinking about it in terms of being a linear, "a vs. b" is way too narrow & kind of misses the point entirely.

& remember, we're writing teens. Hormones are going crazy & they're only just discovering their sexual identities. Assigning a number to it & saying "this is unquestionably & definitively what my character's sexuality is" is not only unrealistic, but it's only going to limit & harm the characterization you can give them.

nope
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
xylophonefairy
Jul 23 2011, 07:06 PM
Slayer
Jul 23 2011, 06:55 PM
xylophonefairy
Jul 23 2011, 06:28 PM
Do you reckon Naomi would be convinced into joining Ava's Women's Rugby team? After all there are similarities between rugby and American football (though I am required to say by national default that rugby is obvs. better). Basically she decides she wants to start one some time before pre game and tries to get as many people as she can to join it. I'm open for her plan to fail miserably.
Would they even have anyone to play against? Or is that why it fails miserably? :P
Ha, yes, good point. They train themselves up and decidde to organise their first match.....

Depending on location, there might be some college teams they can play against. From my 3 second research into this just now, there do appear to be a fair number of college women's rugby teams. Penn State and Stanford (oh, Stanford) seem to be quite successful.
my high school had a competing womens' rugby team. They mostly played rec teams, but there were a few other high school teams as well I think

(note: i also live in a state known for flannel & gays so yeah, might be a special case)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
« Previous Topic · V5 Pregame Planning · Next Topic »
Add Reply