Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
V5 Concepts Thread; Let 'em loose here
Topic Started: May 8 2011, 04:08 PM (28,714 Views)
Mimi
Member Avatar
are you upset?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Okay so hi, justing getting back into the swing and things and getting terribly excited by all these sweet sounding kiddies!

@decoy: I think Kat could be good with a little bit of fleshing out! All I'm really seeing is a bunch of physical features with a couple shallow social standings thrown in. What I like to do ( which is just my opinion and probably not the right thing to do at all) is the take the core character traits and think about the things that could happen in the characters life that could /give/ them those traits. I firmly believe that even the smallest things in a person's life shapes them into who they are. A backstory would be nice, for one. And once you've gotten that figure out, I like to go back and /look/ at the things that happened and think about how else the events would shape him/her.

I know that probably sounds confusing and I'm sure it's not the best way to go about things, but it works for me and I hope it helps?

@Aleron: I haveta say, I'm pretty much in love with Caveman's character. I can tell already you're going to be a really promising writer just with a couple sentences! The only negative thing I can see is a lack of any super concrete events in his life/loves aside from tool shop-- but that's probably just because you had to squeeze it all into just a couple of sentences! Can't wait to see your boys in pregame though!

@Tempo: You do something I've always wished I could do and maintain a furious envy for, which is your subtle nuances and characterizing. From just your concepts, I can tell you really care a lot about giving your characters quirks (such as Milo's tapping) and that's something that /makes/ a character feel so human and natural to me. I'll be looking forward to your fellas tooo!

And now for my rushed attempt to knock out the first of my two character concepts!

---

Arielle ( ah-ree-EL) S. Graves

Sweet southern belle and cotillion queen, unfortunately frayed at the edges of morality. Very privileged thanks to her parents’ recent success founding a popular, family run print & paper company. Arielle grew up with a moderate fortune in her bloodlines, but managed to avoid the ‘curses’ of wealth under the firm, but loving hand of her parents--who whole-heartedly believed that you work for what you want. She grew up very close to her father, who introduced her to a skeet-shooting and fueled her passion for the sport, up until an unfortunate accident left him brain dead and her without the drive to continue it. Arielle changed drastically following the accident, becoming something of a ‘nurse’ to him—staying by his side and stubbornly refusing to accept that she’s talking to nothing but a glazed expression.

Arielle is something of a mystery, due in part to her uneasiness at letting people get too close. Ironically, she’s the type of person that people migrate too as a comforting shoulder and someone they can confide in due to her gentle demeanor. Arielle happily accepts the responsibility, though at times it may be for the undoubtedly selfish attempt to get whatever inner peace she can.

One person she’s not afraid to get close to, however, is one of her father’s old skeet-shooting buddies who she’s known since she was young. At times he’s the father figure she’s all but lost and at others, he’s the love of her young life—though her barely legal status has forced them to lead a life in the shadows but Arielle doesn’t complain. He’s called ‘Dad’ in public, possibly an attempt to throw off suspicion, but an observant person would without a doubt feel the undercurrents of a romance between them.

Edited by Mimi, Aug 31 2011, 06:20 AM.

Posted Image

I◄◄
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mimi
Member Avatar
are you upset?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
@Jack: Thanks for the crits, buddy<3 I'm really poor at wording things, I'm sorry ;~; Her dad is non-responsive and has a couple nurses who are hired full time to take care of him-- he does not talk back to her, though she's stubbornly refusing to believe he'll never get better. I was actually inspired by a story on the news a couple years ago about a family wanting to euthanize a brain-dead woman and it was surrounded by media coverage, but that's unfortunately the limit of my knowledge on the subject as I still need to research it quite a bit.

I didn't want to weigh the description down with all the fine details of the business, as I was gonna include it in her canon bio, but her mother did take over her father's half of the business which is co-owned by her dad's brother. Regarding her relationship with her older man, they aren't in the public with their relationship due to the taboo and the fact that she's under-aged. As for her uneasiness, I assume it'd be more of people going to her for comfort and a shoulder to cry on, with her making them feel better or listening to their problems without sharing many of hers.

@Rachel: Rachel sounds like a verrrry strong character atm, buster. The wistful characters are always ones that I really like, especially with how they react on the island. Her lack of character judgement is something new, I've yet to see something like that portrayed despite it being very prominent in real life kids. I wonder what trouble it's gotten her into though? That could be some interesting development if you decide to do something with it!

And now my other rushed character:

---

Chino ‘Beaner’ Sanchez

To contrast Arielle’s more quote-on-quote serious storyline, I decided the throw in a character I’ve had in mind since the early days of The Program, who I’m both very fond of and just so happens to be my very FIRST male character!

Chino Sanchez, or as he’s more often loving called Beaner, is a young man who lives in the shadow of his elder brother—whom he maintains a deep resent and admiration for. In his quest to surpass his brother, Beaner has dabbled in various sports, clubs, hobbies and has come to the conclusion that he was born to be mediocre, with the exception of his newfound talent of knitting—though he’d be caught dead before he told anyone about his hobby.

Beaner’s a simple dude, with a thirst for life and a face-value approach to it, though he often finds himself a magnet for trouble. He hangs with the bros, macks (poorly) on the lovely ladies, and tries his hardest not to let the shadow of his brother overpower him.

Overall, Beaner’s a pretty chill dude.

---

Comments and thoughts on my kiddies are much appreciated<3

Posted Image

I◄◄

Mimi
Member Avatar
are you upset?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Back again with yet another concept, having gotten rid of my little Beaner. I may use him for a mini one day, who knows, but he will get some screen time down the line. Poor guy's slowly becoming the Susan Lucci of my line-up because I keep saying I'm gonna use him and then find something I'm more attracted to :C. Fickle, fickle woman I am.

So my newest concept is a joint project with Dom that was settled within minutes, as we both fell in love with it. The concept in question is a pair of arguably interchangeable girls whom are both slightly dim, gullible, and ever the carefree spirits. Kara and Cara (or K/Cara), as they're called, are very in tune with the school's information highway and tend to be quite the little gossip mongers, more than often becoming the driving force behind the school's rumor pool. Our goal is to create a very flexible character that can propel other character's plots and storylines, whilst still maintaining one of their own, and hopefully provide buffer where needed.

My Kara (Kara Caplan) is a pretty little cheer-leading Jewish girl who's generally always confused by the dos and don'ts of her religion. Poor baby is as gullible as they come, to the point where she's currently eating peanut butter with most everything since someone told her it increases bust size. Kara with a K has a terribly addictive personality, finding things that she likes and binging on them for quite some time. While neither of the girls are malicious (it's just poor social awareness, promise!), Kara seems the be the lesser of the two evils, often remarking with awe how mean someone is being, though she's quick to get on the bandwagon.

All in all, we're hoping to help handlers out who otherwise have no other way to get a storyline started or need a specific type of person to oo-and-awe at them. If you need that, don't be shy! K/Cara are your girls~

Posted Image

I◄◄

Mimi
Member Avatar
are you upset?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
That's because they use the other version, where things aren't as pixelated looking!

Posted Image

I◄◄

Mimi
Member Avatar
are you upset?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Acidic
Nov 19 2011, 04:45 PM
Well, my sister's best friend was in a similar situation so I'll give this a try:

The grandparents would probably have a big hand in raising him if his parents still went to school after his birth, and even more so if they went to college. If both if them were committed to the child then he'd probably have both sets raising him. So he'd probably be closer to them than his parents depending on how often they could be around. Also, he probably would be lower income unless one of his grandparents were rich. That's as far as I'm willing to go, but if there's more clarification needed feel free to pm me.
To piggy-back that, every person I've known with younger parents has always had more of a 'friendship' with their parents, rather than a parent-child relationship. Obviously that's not always the case, but it could be something interesting to keep in mind.

Posted Image

I◄◄

Mimi
Member Avatar
are you upset?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Putting in my 3 minutes of community service so my probation officer doesn't bitchslap me~~

@Jack:

While I agree that Alex needs more hobbies and interests and the like, I think you have a solid concept that could work out to be really awesome and there's no reason to re-haul , as Archemides suggested, nor do I think you should be so hung up on her being a 'cliche'. There are plenty of characters that start off as a cliche archetype and can progress so far beyond that and evolve into something truly amazing (Neil Sinclair comes to mind). It just depends on how you decide to write it, so don't focus too much on consciously trying to change things so she doesn't come off cliched.

I'm not sure how helpful I'll be-- I'm definitely no professional--, but when I make a character, I always try to think about the things that shape and mold them in life and make them the person they are. Obviously her father's abuse was a main factor in her life, but what about beforehand? Is there a reason she's cynical on relationships now? Was she close with him beforehand and felt betrayed and now has issues believing relationships can work out? Things like that give a character a sense of life, in my opinion.

There's also a glaring lack of positive attributes that weren't mention in her little bio, and while it's good to have not-so positive traits, it's also good to keep things rounded. Obviously she's not a complete tool if she's willing to apologize when she feels like she's done something wrong; it's just getting to the point where she realizes she's wrong that seems to be the problem :P. I'd definitely try to expand on that to make her less of a one-tone bitchface.

I think that's all I have for now, but I'll probably think of something later and you know I'm always on, so if this helped and you need some more, don't be afraid to hit me up, mister!

@Alex:

Hey buddy! Once again, warning of total amateur-hour, just so you know~

There are so many things that could propel someone into wanting to become a better person, it just all depends on the type of person you are and the situations around you. An accident is obviously a wake-up call in a huge way, but it could also be as simple as a little introspective thinking. From a personal standpoint, I'm the type of person who constantly wants to be a better version of herself, just because I feel like I'd have failed my parents and life in general if I ended up being a bad person. I know it's probably not super helpful and I'm sorry about that, but you're the only one who really knows how your character thinks and you're the only one who can really make the decision as to why she'd finally decide to shape up.

From a writing/plot standpoint, however, I'm really partial to the 'accident' route. Like, a family member made the same choices she did and paid the price for it or something along those lines. But I'm a sucker for drama and a little tragedy in my stories and seeing how that shapes people, so I might not be the best person to ask about that.

As far as a timeline goes, lots of kids think they have the world figured out around 13/14 and assume nothing can harm them, especially authority. That could be a decent start? For her turn around, I was initially going to suggest her senior year, as that seems to be a year that can be a wake-up call to someone, especially where grades are concerned. Life's not gonna be fun if you suck at high school; trust me :P. However, if you want her to get closer to the popular crowd, I'd suggest her junior year. It gives her time to make friends and still can serve as the kick in the butt she needs.

Hopefully you guys got at least a little help from this and I'm sorry if I rambled or anything. It's almost 5am and I suck in the morning :x

Posted Image

I◄◄

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
« Previous Topic · V5 Pregame Planning · Next Topic »
Add Reply