Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
V5 Concepts Thread; Let 'em loose here
Topic Started: May 8 2011, 04:08 PM (28,755 Views)
Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Whilst it's still some way off, V5 is looming somewhere on the horizon. We've less than 100 characters left alive in V4 after we started with 276. That's quite something. I'd like to take a moment to extend a congratulations to everybody that participated and helped make version four so great.

Much as I don't want to take away from V4's rightfully deserved thunder, and of course I in no way want to diminish our focus on it, I thought that it would be high time for us to reopen that old favourite: A concepts thread. We've seen them talked about in the chat, we've seen the vaguest of hints in signatures. Treat this as a good old fashioned place to brainstorm ideas, bounce concepts off one another, and even construct rudimentary relationships.

Planning has to start somehwere, let's set the ball rolling, shall we?

Share your concepts, no matter how basic. Get input on your ideas from other members, request critique on your potential future characters.

One word of warning though: If it's never been done before, then there's probably a good reason for it. A quirk doesn't make a character. Think before you come in here raving about your voodoo practitioning transfer student hailing from Fiji who likes to wear a paper bag over his head, okay?
Posted Image
SotF: Mini - SCdoes a-rolling! - PV3 Prologue ongoing!
Draw Thread! - Pathfinder! - Writing Thread!

Adequate summary of my personality
V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
No need to take that kind of attitude. Somebody already told him, and more politely, at that.

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Personally I think that people should focus a little less on critique and a little more on development of the ideas, right now.

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
D/N
May 23 2011, 02:27 PM
Just a couple observations.

1) Yes, there are already way too many bands/musicians being thought up.

2) That doesn't mean we should work the entire v5 school around that. This is the CONCEPT thread. Half these students won't make it to pregame, let alone v5. Anyone remember the ten million drama students and great drama program and big school play that Bayview was supposed to have?
There's no such thing as 'way too many' people with the same hobby or interest.

Also, whilst we listen to suggestions about themes for future schools, we as a staff team design it ourselves. There is no need to be that way about things. Especially since said school play was entirely off the backs of members and not the staff.

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
KillerVole
May 24 2011, 04:06 PM
So... can't believe I forgot this for the past nine pages.

I see we've got a lot of new folks, and I actually threw together a guide designed to help new folks, especially with the character approval process. So, yeah, just throwing it in here in case it helps anyone.
This is written gold-dust. Pay close mind to it.

Quote:

With this talk of racism and sexism, I have to admit, I'm kicking around the idea of making a Caucasian male who has whole-heartedly embraced "urban" culture. I'm thinking everyone thinks he's a joke but hopefully tolerate his behavior on the grounds that it's mostly amusing. I'm having trouble moving him from solely caricature to fleshed out person so I'm open to some suggestions.

Clarify - do you mean the Ali G stereotype?

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hm, well my advice would be to try and delve deeper Inception - the why of him, effectively. In my opinion I think it's acceptable to use the stereotype (if toned down a little), so long as you explore what's behind all of that.

- Why is he so into the 'urban' culture?
- Why doesn't he care/doesn't he notice that he's annoying/he's making a fool of himself?
- If people bring it up with him, what makes him brush it off?

Maybe just some questions to mull over and help you build him up.

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
How early is too early? That's subjective. Determine relationships when you want to.

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I find Violetta a needlessly unrealistic name. Nobody's really called that. Denied.

Anyway, let us get back from the sillyness with this. Vague and probably not all that set in stone, one or two I might combine (If I have a concept that isn't here that I've discussed with you, see above):

* Smart girl with very limited social-nicities. Seems oblivious/unaware that she's quite rude/unpleasant, obsessive studier, but is not arrogant (intentionally) about her intelligence. Probably without too many friends because she's just plain hard to get along with, though if anybody were willing to put up with her, she'd likely take them for granted.

* Brash loudmouth who is good-looking and knows it, not a sleazeball or particularly flirty for all that, but runs his mouth a lot. Paradoxically, has a great sense of humour and is able to laugh most things off. Daft as a brush and should probably think before he speaks, but never manages it.

* The character known mostly as 'Michelle's girlfriend', who has little set in stone about her other than being quite frilly/girly. Will probably talk to Ruggs some more before deciding anything for sure.

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Nadir
May 31 2011, 08:03 AM
2) Gary Hannover: A German-American boy, who is a martial arts expert. He is a practicing Buddhist. He has made a vow to never take a life. He has tried mastering with his teacher a technique to try and lower his heartbeat so his rivals think he is dead and then re-activate it after one minute has passed (and, yeah, as you have guessed, this feature could be used to try and make an escape attempt, I would like to have him stopping his heart, then reanimated by another character of his party, and then going all "Liz Polanski" on Danya´s ass...).

So, what do you think of them? :P Too ambitious, maybe?
I can say right now that this is very, very unlikely to be allowed to fly or happen.

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Michelle's girlfriend's name is Keira.

I have other stuff, but that's all you're getting for now. ^^

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
^ When the time comes up, I'm going to critique that profile personally.

Consider your writing very carefully.

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Naomi -blank-maybe-Harper-

Pretty loose concept right now but one I'm a fan of. Need to work on fleshing her out some more, but so far I have a reasonable enough amount to call her a concept. She is an African-American footballer who is on the school's team. - It's not one of those 'I'm as good as the guys' deals, Naomi just really loves the sport because of having a couple of big fans in her family and so she sort of grew up with it, found she was quite good at playing it, and things just got more serious from there. She's very intense about her sport and working out and training, and probably a lot bigger than most girls. Otherwise Naomi is a very chilled out kind of person when she isn't completely zeroed in on football, pretty easy-going 'let the world come to her' type of person (so overall it can be pretty surprising when people see Naomi go from how she is regularly to how she treats football, at least the first few times). Naomi's proud of herself for making the team but her gender doesn't really come into it - she's proud because she's good at something she really loves.

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
xylophonefairy
Jul 23 2011, 06:28 PM
Do you reckon Naomi would be convinced into joining Ava's Women's Rugby team? After all there are similarities between rugby and American football (though I am required to say by national default that rugby is obvs. better). Basically she decides she wants to start one some time before pre game and tries to get as many people as she can to join it. I'm open for her plan to fail miserably.
Naomi might get involved but her interest would be pretty passing by comparison to how much she likes football. Since it's such a passion for her, she doesn't really care about a lot of other sports. If she were on the team, it would be very casually, I think.

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Okay, I've updated one of my concepts some.

Keira So'oialo

* Girl of Western Samoan descent (probably second generation). (She's the school's 0.4% Pacific Islander in Seattle's demographic, xD)
* She is an aspiring actress, and has a knack for remembering lines and is definitely good at it, but she often struggles for leading roles because she's quite chubby.
* She is dating Rugga's Michelle, and they've been together for a while.
* Since homosexuality is illegal in Western Samoan, Keira has had a bit of a culture clash with her parents over it, even though one was born in America and the other moved there when they were fairly young. Angstmobile!
* As such Keira is probably quite active in LGBT circles, since she's experienced some of the difficulties first hand.

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Slamexo
Jul 30 2011, 05:42 AM
Alex King
(Do people use King as a surname?)
Yup.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · V5 Pregame Planning · Next Topic »
Add Reply