Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Back in St. Paul, if Just for an Evening...; Minor Content Warning. PM for permission before Joining.
Topic Started: May 2 2011, 02:16 PM (1,590 Views)
D/N
Member Avatar
Guy Maddin's favorite A.D.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
(Imraan Al-Hariq continued from You Always Get What's Coming)

Imraan wasn't enjoying himself. He supposed that was a good thing.

What he was going to do shouldn't be joyful. It should not, would not be fun. The right thing to do wasn't always clean, or comfortable, or enjoyable. But that didn't matter.

Because it was right.

He'd already said goodbye to his mother. He'd forced Nisreen Al-Hariq out of his mind, knowing that it would do no good to let her memory try to dissuade him. She would survive on her own without him, and Imraan would have to do the same. He'd taken a moment to think of his father and brother one last time, to wonder fleetingly if they knew what was going on a half a world away from Palestine, and then he had set them aside as well. His family, after all, was still alive. His classmates were not.

He was prepared now, prepared for what he had to do. Days before, Imraan had thought he had been ready to act, but he had been wrong. He had still been hopeful then, still optimistic that maybe they could get out of here without bloodshed. That had clouded his vision before, when he had been given the chance to kill and not acted on it. Now that he knew there would be no escape, he didn't have to worry about that anymore. He didn't need to worry about anything except making sure that a killer would not win.

God's will. Jessie's will. His will.

So, once he'd arrived to this line of houses, Imraan had knocked on doors. It seemed grotesquely comical to him, like he was a traveling salesman or something ("Hello Avon calling! Would you like some death today?), but it would, eventually, bring him into contact with people. Maybe killers, maybe innocents. That wasn't for Imraan to know. He'd entered several, only to find them either empty of people or empty of LIVING people, and with each barren house, each dead body, his frustration only grew.

One had been locked, and after knocking and receiving no answer Imraan had finally kicked the door down, ready to stride in and confront whoever had been hiding there, whoever had dared not answer, whoever had dared to try to avoid him, only to find the bodies of Jacob Charles and Victoria Logan by the staircase. He'd stared, grown angrier still, and then left.

Finally, he came to the end of the street. A house with movement inside, he was sure of it. Well, he'd just see who was there. And if someone came out shooting?

Let them try.

He rapped his fist against the door several times.

"Knock knock."

Yes, definitely movement. Imraan readied his shotgun.

"It's Imraan Al-Hariq. Who's in there?"
v6!
G058: Kaitlyn Greene aka Katy Buried - Horse Tranquilizer and Syringe
She Knew She'd Found Freedom - Questions - Fools - Barons - Opportunities - Sideshows - Dawns - Gulches

v5!
G038: Deanna Hull - Replica Freddy Glove - DECEASED
From Sea to Sky -Smoke--Sun--Tiki--Nine--Repeat--Talk--Now--Drift--Hunger--Valley--Fall--Rust--Paper--Heart--Sky-
B023: Jesse Jennings - Riz Action Figure - DECEASED
From Vision to Glory -Vision--Summon--Time--Plan--Length--Sleep--Cause-

v4!
B006: Ricky Fortino - Trowel - DECEASED
B022: Imraan Al-Hariq - Remington 870 - DECEASED
G036: Carly Jean Dooley - VASE D: - DECEASED
G077: Andrea Raymer - Gunpowder - ?????
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

D/N
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Imraan kept his finger by the triggers, ready to shoot if he needed to, ready so that he could bring the shotgun up quickly if he had to, willing and able and totally committed to doing what he needed to do. He waited for an answer from inside.

It came.

"Kaitlin?"

That hadn't been what he was expecting.

She opened the door and Imraan just stared down at the girl for a moment, letting the shotgun lower until it was pointed straight down at the floor.

"Hey."

The he smiled. This was good, after all. What else was a girl like Kaitlin except proof of the types he must protect.

"Hey Kaitlin. I'm glad you're OK."

Imraan stepped into the room, glancing at the other boy, Peter McCue. He didn't know Peter that well, but that didn't really matter, did it? Peter McCue had never been so much as mentioned on the announcements.

"Hey man, don't worry. I'm not... well you don't have to worry about me."

Yet, at least.

"I probably can't stay too long. Got stuff to do. But it's good to see you Kaitlin. I know you don't deserve this, and I'm sorry for that. Peter, don't know you too much, but I haven't heard your name comin' from the sky either. That's good."

He sat down on the couch, feeling weary.

v6!
She Knew She'd Found Freedom - Questions - Fools - Barons - Opportunities - Sideshows - Dawns - Gulches

v5!
From Sea to Sky -Smoke--Sun--Tiki--Nine--Repeat--Talk--Now--Drift--Hunger--Valley--Fall--Rust--Paper--Heart--Sky-

v4!

D/N
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]

"...What do you mean you have stuff to do?"

Imraan could see Peter was apprehensive. That was OK. That was natural. There was no shame in being scared, and Peter and Kaitlin were obviously both scared. Imraan just hoped that they wouldn't think he could stay with them. Before Jessie, before everything else, Imraan would have welcomed them, Kaitlin especially. But now? No. No chance. He'd tell Peter what he was doing, and hopefully Peter and Kaitlin would understand. Hopefully.

He was about to speak when Kaitlin began stammering about food, trying to defuse any tension. Imraan couldn't help but smile again, but only for a moment. Food wasn't exactly on his mind right now, but still.... heck, he needed sustenance. God wasn't going to send a raven down from heaven to feed him if he didn't eat something.

Imraan let go of the shotgun, leaving it on the couch.

"Don't worry, Peter. I got stuff to do yeah, I got people I want to see, don't know if I will because that's not in my hands, but it can wait just a bit. You don't need to worry about it yet."

Yet.

Yet. That word gnawed at Imraan's mind. It troubled him, flitting in and out of his thoughts like a speck of dust in his eye. He'd find those killers, he just hadn't done so YET. Peter and Kaitlin didn't need to worry about him, not YET. What happened later? They couldn't both survive. Surely they had to know that. Maybe they just hadn't thought about that, just not YET.

He got up, taking a few steps into the kitchen.

"Well, who knows? There might be something left over in here. Canned stuff, or something like that. You guys want to help me look? Heck, I'd eat just about anything. Haven't had anything since..."

When had he last eaten, anyway? Hadn't it been...

He was opening a cabinet door, and the memory came again with such force that he slammed it shut with an audible crash, the glassware rattling inside.

Jessie...

"...yeah, since that. Sorry, bad memory. You guys find anything?"
v6!

v5!

v4!

D/N
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
After a week surviving on carbs and water, the sudden influx of protein was like manna from heaven, and it was everything Imraan could do to not wolf down the canned meat as fast as humanly possible. He'd have never thought that Spam was something that could actually be savored, but clearly, he'd been spoiled beforehand. The three of them ate together, and Imraan hoped that Kaitlin and Peter were also relishing the moment, but eventually, he knew that it was coming to an end.

Post-meal, Peter broke the silence with a question he seemed pained to ask. Imraan drank some water and just looked at his two companions for a minute. He was thinking. Trying to choose his words without getting angry.

"Me? Yeah, not that well. You know Peter, I think you and Kaitlin actually have the right idea here. You only gotta look after each other. Me? What did I do, I tried to look after everyone. Course I did. What was I expecting to happen?" He shrugged, folding his long arms over his chest.

Kaitlin spoke up then, and Imraan looked at her. Ah, hell. This was tough. What could he say? He wished he could do that. He wished he could be like Kaitlin. But could he? Could he not follow through on his promise? On his will? On His will?

No. No, to do that, to back down now, THAT would be unforgivable. To all of them. God. Jessie. Himself. The Holy Trinity of Imraan demanded he do what needed to be done.

"Kaitlin... the first two, I can't promise that. I'm sorry, girl. I really am, but you have to know I can't. The third one... I'll try."

Imraan didn't know if that was a lie or not. But it was the only answer he could give. He got up, and moved to Kaitlin, wrapping her arms around her in a brief, awkward hug.

"People like you deserve to live. You don't deserve to die... like Jessie did. Like all the other kids out there did. But... well, only one of us is gonna be alive at the end. I don't know who."

He gathered his shotgun and bag.

"Just stay good, Kaitlin. You take care of her, Peter. Don't get any blood on your hands. I've got stuff to do out there. Make sure that someone like you gets to get out of here alive."

Yes. He was staying strong. Staying true. The will was there. And when he found the killers, the players, the will would not desert him.

"Bye, Kaitlin."

He left them behind, and never saw them again.

(Imraan Al-Hariq continued in Maria Graham's Series of Unfortunate Events)
v6!

v5!

v4!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Residential Area · Next Topic »
Add Reply