Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Character-per-handler Discussion; Purely hypothetical, of course.
Topic Started: Apr 2 2011, 08:58 AM (3,282 Views)
nope
Member Avatar
throw that pussy like i'm famous
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Dom
Apr 2 2011, 08:15 PM
KillerVole
Apr 2 2011, 07:44 PM
As I see it, there is a simple fix: if people are foddering adopted characters, we just add a clause that says you can't swap or hero with adopted characters.
Which'd be a shame for the people who wrote their adoptees just as well as their other characters, and wanted to swap them out for their other characters due to plot reasons. It's a tough situation, really.
It could be something timed. Like, you can't immediately swap or hero out an adoptee, but after a certain period (a month or two maybe?) they're free game.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, James has a great idea. I'd push for a slightly longer window (say, three rolls?). That way, at least there is no immediate foddering.
V7:
Juliette Sargent drawn by Mimi and Ryuki
Alton Gerow drawn by Mimi
Lavender Ripley drawn by Mimi
Phillip Olivares drawn by Ryuki
Library Vee
Misty Browder

Stark
Member Avatar
Nuts.
[ *  *  * ]
Am I really the only person who's perfectly fine with the limit as it stands? I've said it in chat, but if it dips below four, I may just skip V5 on principle. Obviously no great loss, of course, but still, those are my two cents and it's not a point I'm wavering on.
<Mimi>: You are much nicer than I thought you'd be!
<Stark>: Shut up, fatty.

D/N
Member Avatar
Guy Maddin's favorite A.D.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Speaking as someone who's actually been around for two separate versions :P , here's my POV.

1) While there's going to be a lot of turnover from one version to the next (a lot of us who were here for v4 won't be for v5), the thing is... SOTF isn't going to be getting any smaller. There are already new people popping up for the Mini and in preparation for v5, and once pre-game is even hinted at (through a concepts thread or the like), you'll get them coming out of the woodwork and posting their character ideas. Sure, a lot of these characters won't make it to pre-game, let alone the island, but we had an enormous influx of newbies for v4, to the point that it became obvious that the cap would be reached straight away and anyone who was planning to have more than four characters was deluding themselves (yes, once upon a time, people actually had MORE than four characters, and were able to introduce new students during the game itself as their other ones died). And I expect v5 to be pretty much the same. So unless you want 400 students next time, I think that cap limits of less than four characters are going to be a reality.

2) With that said, dropping all the way down to one student per handler just seems wrong to me.

3) Speaking as someone who didn't post responsibly and held other handlers and characters back with his inability to write, I *personally* don't ascribe that to having too many characters to focus on. My not posting was the result of various issues that don't have much to do with my actual ability to post, and moreover, I don't think that other handlers should feel punished because some people didn't get their posts in. Obviously, if people have several characters there are going to be ones they devote more time and development to than others, but that would happen whether they have two characters or two dozen. And having less characters doesn't even mean that you'll like the ones you DO have any more. People have designed characters as their flagships only to kill them off in disgust on day 2, while their supposed fodder characters last until the end.
v6!
G058: Kaitlyn Greene aka Katy Buried - Horse Tranquilizer and Syringe
She Knew She'd Found Freedom - Questions - Fools - Barons - Opportunities - Sideshows - Dawns - Gulches

v5!
G038: Deanna Hull - Replica Freddy Glove - DECEASED
From Sea to Sky -Smoke--Sun--Tiki--Nine--Repeat--Talk--Now--Drift--Hunger--Valley--Fall--Rust--Paper--Heart--Sky-
B023: Jesse Jennings - Riz Action Figure - DECEASED
From Vision to Glory -Vision--Summon--Time--Plan--Length--Sleep--Cause-

v4!
B006: Ricky Fortino - Trowel - DECEASED
B022: Imraan Al-Hariq - Remington 870 - DECEASED
G036: Carly Jean Dooley - VASE D: - DECEASED
G077: Andrea Raymer - Gunpowder - ?????

Stark
Member Avatar
Nuts.
[ *  *  * ]
First of all, I'm well aware of how V3 was handled, and I don't appreciate being condescended to because I wasn't directly involved in it.

Second, stop and think for a minute about something. Newbies will come, sure, but how many handlers will carry over from V4 with them? I can think of a dozen currently active people off the top of my head who I fully expect to disappear before V5 begins. Yes, there will be an influx of new handlers, but there's turnover to consider. I think it's safe to say that there'll be no more than a ten percent increase in the gross number of handlers between V4 and V5. That massive wave of new handlers won't be anything more than there was for V4, and enough handlers won't carry over that that'll be mitigated significantly. If you don't believe me, count up everyone who's still here from V3. From V2. V1.

nope
Member Avatar
throw that pussy like i'm famous
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Dom
Apr 2 2011, 08:58 AM
I really shouldn't have to stress civility, but if we could keep this from getting heated it would be much appreciated.
Seriously, guys. Of all the things to get snippy over, this is kind of a lame choice. Just keep it calm & polite please

Dropbear
Member Avatar
Actually a cat.
[ *  *  *  * ]
With only skimming the discussions, my thoughts are either have a cap of 3 characters with 1 adoption or use current system in V5. Any lower than 3 could end in a bit of problems.

The other thing is that you don't HAVE to make 4 characters because that's the cap. Make 2-3 characters and write them really well if you want (or in my case really badly, :-/ ). It's a MAXIMUM, not a MINIMUM.
B069 Ben Powell: That's a bout. Salute. Shake hands.
G052 Sapphire McLeod: The Youngest Was The Most Loved
G084 Eve Walker-Luther: The Prime Time Of Your Life

Game Over. Continue?
> y

Jamie Snicket

Stark
Member Avatar
Nuts.
[ *  *  * ]
To Drop, I just have two things to say. One: I feel it goes without saying that you don't have to write four characters, and that not everyone will. Personally, however, I'd write forty if the rules allowed it, but since they don't, four seems like a perfectly okay compromise. Again, that's just my two cents.

Second, don't be a moron. Your writing is fantastic.

D/N
Member Avatar
Guy Maddin's favorite A.D.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Er, it wasn't my intention in the slightest to be condescending. If my post came off that way, I'm sorry. That said, obviously we can't predict the future, but I really do think there'll be a significant increase in net handlers from v4 to v5 (probably not to the extent we saw from v3 to v4, but still...). And when you add that to an overall feeling (at least so far as I've seen) that 275 characters in v4 was too many, I don't see any way that the board will be able to avoid setting stricter character caps.
v6!
G058: Kaitlyn Greene aka Katy Buried - Horse Tranquilizer and Syringe
She Knew She'd Found Freedom - Questions - Fools - Barons - Opportunities - Sideshows - Dawns - Gulches

v5!
G038: Deanna Hull - Replica Freddy Glove - DECEASED
From Sea to Sky -Smoke--Sun--Tiki--Nine--Repeat--Talk--Now--Drift--Hunger--Valley--Fall--Rust--Paper--Heart--Sky-
B023: Jesse Jennings - Riz Action Figure - DECEASED
From Vision to Glory -Vision--Summon--Time--Plan--Length--Sleep--Cause-

v4!
B006: Ricky Fortino - Trowel - DECEASED
B022: Imraan Al-Hariq - Remington 870 - DECEASED
G036: Carly Jean Dooley - VASE D: - DECEASED
G077: Andrea Raymer - Gunpowder - ?????

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Here is my proposal. I think it is the best of both worlds.

There is an overall cap. What it is, we don't know yet. Could be 200. Could be 300, though I strongly doubt it. Could be something else entirely (we are floating ideas around).

We handle registrations like we did on the Mini. That is:

First week (or ten days, whatever) of registration, everyone gets to submit one and only one character.

Next week, everyone can submit another character (or, if they missed the first week, two, though only one at a time).

Next week, same but three.

Next week, same but four.

If, at any point in there, the overall cap is reached, then that's it, and registration closes.

This way, we don't set hard per-handler caps. They do that for themselves through registration.

I would like to say that the current number of characters is mildly absurd. From an administrative perspective, we have to keep track of all these characters, and we have to kill a lot of them when handlers disappear. 28.4% of the handlers active at the start of V4 went terminally inactive with at least one character. If it wasn't for adoptions, we'd still be killing them.

Similarly, large number of characters cause issues with setting up areas and such, as we saw at the start of V4. They also make the game somewhat more sprawling and hard to keep track of. As someone who has read everything posted in V4, I can say that keeping up has taken.... maybe 1.5-2 hours daily since August (Granted, that includes mod stuff, too).

Large amounts of characters also lengthen the game overall, meaning people sit out longer. I know we have Mini for that, but a lot of handlers are, for whatever reason, not interested in Mini. I, personally, would encourage anyone who has spare character concepts to throw them in over there. I've been running up to eight characters at once these past few months because I'm in every Mini game, too.
V7:
Juliette Sargent drawn by Mimi and Ryuki
Alton Gerow drawn by Mimi
Lavender Ripley drawn by Mimi
Phillip Olivares drawn by Ryuki
Library Vee
Misty Browder

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Support/Suggestions · Next Topic »
Add Reply