Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Character-per-handler Discussion; Purely hypothetical, of course.
Topic Started: Apr 2 2011, 08:58 AM (3,252 Views)
Badb
Member Avatar
Trained for combat by a cabal of hacktivists.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Okay, since this has been a big topic for discussion on the chat, I kinda wanted to get other people's input on this question.

Do you think smaller character limits, or even One-character-per-handler games such as SotF: Evolution could ever work on the larger scale of the main board?

Personally, I believe that a one-character-limit, provided we have enough active handlers, would hopefully produce more focused writing, with people being able to invest more time in their individual characters and be able to have, at the end of the day, more focused writing and better posts. However, I really do understand why someone would dislike a system such as this, due to not wanting to be limited in their characters, but there's my view.

I really shouldn't have to stress civility, but if we could keep this from getting heated it would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Sorry, if the thread title could be changed to "Character per Handler Discussion" that'd be great, naming it one-character-per-handler is false advertising on the severity.
V5:
B035 - Ray Gilbert - DECEASED - Guy Fawkes Mask - Too Far Gone
G029 - Zoe Leverett - DECEASED - Machete - To Really Be Alone, To Pick At All the Bones
[/spoiler]
Quote:

[18:10] <Laurels> WWJD? Fuck corpses, apparently

Quote:

[15:16] <Naft> My college once nearly burned down because someone tried to make a bong out of dollar bills and the fire alarm didn't work
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Gwbiii
~~PCH0000~~
[ *  *  * ]
My opinion is that we should have a 1 character per handler policy only if there are 'enough' handlers to fill out a game. Personally I think versions do well with 150-200 characters, so if we had 150+ handlers we should make it 1 character per handler. More people writing less is better than less people writing more.

Of course, if that /doesn't/ happen, and we have anything less than 120 or so, i think we should definitely go for a 2 or 3 character policy combined with a roll-per-character system because:

a) It will mean all handlers have a good chance of making it to mid-game, unlike in a 1-character system where half of the handlers will necessarily be out by halfway.

b) letting people have two (or three) characters means they can have some variety while not stretching themselves too thinly like seems to happen atm

c) to make up for not having 4 characters to start with, we can introduce a roll-by-character system to make sure handlers stay in the game longer after they've lost their first character.

((I was going to put specific percentages in here for the roll by handlers vs roll by character system, but then i realised it involved too many series and things so i'm not going to bother.))

In general though:

Spoiler: click to toggle

d) seriously V4 was a clusterfuck let's not have 4 characters per handler again my gog.

G003 - Sarah Xu -"Th-then I-I'll stitch you up."---> 開始
G049 - Mia Kuiper - "lada didi dada di dum dum."---> Anfang
B040 - Richard Han - "YOU WIN THIS TIME, GRAAAVIIIIITYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY"
G094 - Raina Morales
-*snort* pretty cows...---> Began: Bump in the Night || Ended: A New Day
""-Mandarin ""-Cantonese ""-German ""-Spanish

Blastinus
Member Avatar
That's Just Crazy Talk
[ *  *  *  * ]
First, I do acknowledge that people do seem to have a hard time keeping all of their characters updated. In my case, keeping four characters updated and on the move was a small chore, especially since a couple of them were harder to write for. However, your proposal for a single character limit goes too far in the other direction, as most people would start to get bored waiting for their one character to advance in his or her storyline. A healthier balance between work and fun would probably be something along the lines of three characters.

Another thing to keep in consideration is the use of cards. At present, handlers have a card that sacrifices a character for the sake of another, and a card that switches out another character for one who is rolled. Obviously then, if handlers are to use their cards, you would have to have a minimum of three characters. One to Hero, one to Swap, and one to be swapped at a certain time. Granted, it is fully possible that handlers may not wish to use their cards, but if they only have two or one characters, then one of their cards will be absolutely useless.

Why? It's a matter of behavior. In my personal experience watching people use Hero cards, they are more likely to Hero someone if they have an option to continue playing the game afterwards. Forcing people to use only one or two characters would potentially result in a Hero not being used at all or, in the case of two characters, result in a Hero being used, thus rendering the Swap card absolutely moot. However, if people have three characters, they would be more confident about using their Hero cards, and would still have a character to spare if they wanted to use their Swap.

In summary: it's probably better to just reduce it to three characters, not one.
V7 Kids

Outfoxd
Contender
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Not an advocate of the one-character per handler rule but if it was implemented I figure you'd give everybody a Hero and a Null so they wouldn't necessarily have to drop themselves.
V5 Characters:

Leona Van Kamp
Current Thread: Arcadia

General Goose
Member Avatar
Don't cast aspersions on my asparagus.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Three characters per handler and a slightly tougher maximum cap are what I'd support. Quite frankly, one-character-per-handler would be overtly restrictive and boring.
V6 peeps:
Kiziah Saraki
Bradley Floyd

Fanatic
Member Avatar
A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other.
[ *  *  *  * ]
I would suggest staged applications.

For example when apps open the 'cap' is 100 and each person can submit one character.

After whatever period of time, say a month the cap is raised to 150, whereupon you can submit a second character.

This is done again to whatever number : say 200 / 3 chars each. This would mean the mods wouldn't get flooded and people have a better chance of getting in and then additionally if people want to have more chars they can up to the maximum: so that the 4th char handlers are only allowed after everyone else had an opp to have 1 2 or 3.

I hope this makes sense. It's late and I'm confused.
Sickness: Partially suicidal... very slightly because of my report, but mostly because Jason is dead. All of my personal issues stem from the fact that Jason Harris did not win SotF v4

William 'Woozie' Wu - "Hey Pheebs, you're amazing babe."

V4

Casey the Undead
Member Avatar
Let's go where eagles dare
[ *  *  * ]
As a person who only had one character in v4, I can say that it's not that bad. However, it did get boring at times waiting for Rena to advance in her story, as Blast said. But, at the same time, I never really had to worry about being inactive, I only ever had to watch one thread at a time, and it was incredibly easy staying active. Then again, I'm also a bad case because I'm pretty neurotic about my activity, so take that as you will.

However, I think that having one character did, at times, get boring, and there were many moments in v4 where I wanted to change up what I was doing with Rena, but couldn't because of the constraints of her character and the way I was developing. That being said, v4 was a clusterfuck of characters with enough inactive deaths to make me think that we really ought to lower the cap.

So my suggestion is a cap of two (maybe three if we don't have enough handlers) characters, which gives each handler enough characters to keep the game interesting, and to let them have some more free time, but also allows everyone to be more focused and to maybe help prevent the slew of inactive deaths.

Now, onto to the point of character rolling. I frankly don't really care about the rolling handlers vs rolling characters argument, as either way you're still gonna have characters who are repeatedly rolled, and either way there will still be some unfortunate handler who's out early. However, we have trouble getting deaths done with only one character per handler getting rolled a month. If two or three characters belonging to the same handler get rolled at once...deaths are gonna be even later than this round.

So yeah. Those are my points.
It's hard to get ahead when half your friends are dead!

V4 Characters:

V5 Characters

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hiya, folks!

I love the one character per handler thing in Evo. I don't want to see it on the main board, simply due to scale. It means we lose handlers every roll. Two or three would be acceptable.

I hear everyone on the rolling system. Ideas are being floated there. In my opinion, the ideal fairest system would be rolling by characters but each handler still can be rolled only once per roll.

Blast: I actually disagree on your Hero Card predictions, submitting Evo as evidence. We had a lot of heroes going around, though everyone who played one was eliminated from the game.

I also want to see less fodder in the future. I'm going to be blunt: a lot of people (myself included) came into the game with characters they were less interested in, then swapped or heroed them out. Characters handlers are bored with result in a more boring game. Ideally, in V5, everyone will have casts they like entirely. Swap cards retty much exist so you can tweak death order for story purposes, in my opinion. Of course, folks will still have flags and such; I just hope the non-flag characters are all very well thought-out and people their handlers actually like.

Fan: Staged applications have been pitched, approved, and tested on the Mini. I'm pushing for them for V4, as they worked great in SOTF-TV. We didn't have a fluctuating total cap, just a final max, and let people join bit by bit. That way, if we fill early, the per-handler cap is lower evenly across the board.

V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

nope
Member Avatar
throw that pussy like i'm famous
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
As much as I absolutely love Evo & think that the one-character system was perfect there, there are a ton of issues I'd have with a lower personal cap:

I. SOTF is intended to be a long game. Mini can impose harsher caps without issues: the games only run a few months, & there are always other games to jump into. The main board is nothing like that. Games tend to run over a year & handlers go in expecting to be in for the long run, for the most part. If we restricted everyone to one character, it fucks over everyone who's rolled early horribly. That doesn't sound like it'd create a very fun environment to write in. Honestly, it just sounds stressful. A two- or three-character cap would be entirely different, but I'll get to that in a bit.

II. There are other systems that could be tweaked that would have a much larger & more effective impact than the personal cap would. We have a card & rolling system that heavily favors high-character handlers. If we reduced the benefits of having more characters, I'm sure people wouldn't be so eager to take on more than they can handle writing. The whole hero card culture we have going is a detriment to the game anyway, & rolling by characters would be so much more fair than the by-handler system we have now (& we could still protect against handlers getting rolled more than once per set; it's not an all-or-nothing deal). Honestly, there are handlers that can handle four characters & write them all well. I don't see it causing as much harm as these other systems are, & that makes me a little more hesitant to see it change

III. SOTF is always going to be a clusterfuck. We've had about a hundred separate writers involved in this version. That's going to be hell to coordinate no matter what. I'm actually impressed that staff's managed to keep the ship as tight as it is. Removing that fourth character from the couple dozen handlers that would take it isn't going to mitigate the clusterfuckiness enough to make the whole ordeal that much smoother. Like I said above, there are other systems that need tweaking first to handle the kind of strain that they frankly weren't designed to deal with originally. Harsher inactivity rules & a higher barrier of entry might also be things we have to think about

Aaaand a suggestion: I actually dig the idea of a three-character cap, honestly. But maybe we can have a bit of a hybrid system here for those who really love handling several characters? e.g. maybe that fourth slot won't be open to original characters, but could be used for adopted characters? That way four characters are still an option, & more handlers are able to adopt in early game as an added bonus

Fiori
Member Avatar
The Fiorious One
[ *  *  *  * ]
Personally, I don't see anything particularly wrong about the 4-character limit. Then again, that might just be because i've already got four character concepts in mind and I'd hate to scrap one of them for V5 :unsure:

Still, I guess limiting ourselves to three characters makes sense. But limiting ourselves to one character would just be annoying, especially if you get rolled early on in the game. Haven't really got much else to add to that...

So, yeah, thats pretty much my opinion. Might add something to it later if I come up with any significant points to make...
V5 Characters

Brian Zhdanovich - Homestead
Ruby Forrester - Shopping Mall
Jenna Rhodes - Hotel

Deceased V4 Characters

Badb
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
karsk
Apr 2 2011, 11:57 AM
maybe that fourth slot won't be open to original characters, but could be used for adopted characters? That way four characters are still an option, & more handlers are able to adopt in early game as an added bonus
I actually really like this idea, but I can see it open to abuse from people who adopt just to have a fourth character for swap fodder, not because they want to write the character.

(Also thanks to whoever changed the title)
V5:
G029 - Zoe Leverett - DECEASED - Machete - To Really Be Alone, To Pick At All the Bones
[/spoiler]
Quote:

Quote:

[15:16] <Naft> My college once nearly burned down because someone tried to make a bong out of dollar bills and the fire alarm didn't work

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I could live with a cap of three and have the fourth used for adopted characters in order to reduce fodder, but one character per handler just seems out of the question. I know it's all been said before, but again, it works for smaller-scale works, but not for the main board. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be one of the unlucky souls that gets rolled off first and is out of the game for the rest of the 1+ years the game goes on. Two also seems a bit restrictive, but three would work out just fine.

This is something for the future anyway as it seems, given what we'd like our cap to be, and the current number of handlers. Preparing for the future is nice, but this isn't something that we should jump into anytime soon.
V6 Tributes

Spoilers, Ricky didn't win V5

Things We Say

nope
Member Avatar
throw that pussy like i'm famous
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Dom
Apr 2 2011, 12:46 PM
karsk
Apr 2 2011, 11:57 AM
maybe that fourth slot won't be open to original characters, but could be used for adopted characters? That way four characters are still an option, & more handlers are able to adopt in early game as an added bonus
I actually really like this idea, but I can see it open to abuse from people who adopt just to have a fourth character for swap fodder, not because they want to write the character.

(Also thanks to whoever changed the title)
It's only as much of a problem as it is with the current system. Which is something else that def needs to be patched up if possible. But yeah, you've got a good point. Even with the little "don't fodder" clause in the adoption rules, that's going to be a big looming con with the current card system & current & future adoption systems.

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
As I see it, there is a simple fix: if people are foddering adopted characters, we just add a clause that says you can't swap or hero with adopted characters.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Badb
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
KillerVole
Apr 2 2011, 07:44 PM
As I see it, there is a simple fix: if people are foddering adopted characters, we just add a clause that says you can't swap or hero with adopted characters.
Which'd be a shame for the people who wrote their adoptees just as well as their other characters, and wanted to swap them out for their other characters due to plot reasons. It's a tough situation, really.
V5:
[/spoiler]
Quote:

Quote:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Support/Suggestions · Next Topic »
Add Reply