Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What Could Have Been; Feel free to share your abandoned ideas
Topic Started: Mar 24 2011, 09:49 AM (7,265 Views)
NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
Southern motherfuckin' democratic republicans.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I keep thinking that I've posted here before. Few of mine:

Baxter and Hansel have opposite arcs: This was my initial, very first plan when I created Brandon, other than having two characters to represent different aspects of myself in various ways. I wanted Hansel to be a villain, but a sympathetic one, one that people could look at and go "Huh, poor fella" on some level, where Baxter would go full hero mode but be a constant jackass fuckwit about it. The idea was that a murderer could still be someone you could root for and a black-and-white good-guy could still be someone you loathed.

I mostly blame Rugga for that idea, seeing as it was after reading Ethan in full that I went to work on Baxter, and that was where the idea stood.

Brandon vs. Cody: This is an idea that I didn't even run by Ricky, because Mimi and I started to chat and realized we were soul-mates. Essentially, I was going to have Baxter hang with Cody (and TBH's Mike, too) and basically be a thorn in Cody's side. Anything Cody'd suggest, Baxter would antagonize, just to get that conflicting Alpha-male story that I rarely see in these kinds of things. While I'd still love to see a competing alpha male storyline, I will never regret what Mimi and Summer brought into my life with the arc that we got to play out, and it remains one of the best things I've written.

Baxter crashes multiple threads: I joked about this in chat a bunch, but I seriously wanted to pull a Han and run through three different scenes on the island, tying them all somewhat chronologically together. Horrible idea. Do not do this.

Dogtown: This was an idea that is still fresh in my mind, and I might enact it for TV-V2 or something. I wanted to take what Kilmarnock did with Bloodgarden - that is, a long thread involving multiple characters and arcs - but flip it so that it was 'heroic' rather than villainous.
A list of the dying, a list of the damned.

V6
V5
Future
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
Southern motherfuckin' democratic republicans.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So, since Endgame's upon us, I think it's time to kind of 'show my hand' as it were with things I've done with my more popular (or at least, more publicised) character throughout V5. It's absolutely crazy how many ideas I had - fully fleshed out and partially mused upon alike - and I've been nearly bursting to tell people. I know endgame isn't over yet, and Hansel's fate is still not disclosed, but I can sit on the pandora's box no longer.

-- Natali becomes a super hero.

This was the best of my ideas by far in terms of theme. Natali's story is one of taking the backseat, masterfully woven by backslash, and I felt that the best way to capitalize on the seeds she'd sown during her original (albeit mournfully undershadowed by my own writing with Natali) run of the character by crafting a narrative in which Natali would burst out of her shell and become the hard-bitten, tough as nails girl that looks up to Vasquez and any lead played by Michelle Rodriguez. It largely fell through when Natali was rolled, though, and when backslash wrote her death three months before I adopted her.

-- Natali's Family Runs a Wake

The Greers were such a well-fleshed out and remarkably nuanced family that backslash was able to craft a vivid image of them without a single word written from their perspective, leaving the reader to basically imagine literally everything about her home life. This made them the perfect outlet to write a mass funeral for all of the V5 kids' parents, where Natali's mother with perfect hair and a kind soul who's well liked by everyone would write a moving speech read by her sensitive but strong father who wore glasses (not because he needed them, but to make him more approachable to people) who would cry during it. It was a nice bit, but I had to scrap most of it when I discovered that Natali was black, and I'm not comfortable writing black people.

-- Natali Buys A Horse In The Afterlife

This idea was fucking dumb and I hated it the second I thought it up.

-- Natali Gets Her Period

I was finally going to show my chops writing a female character by having her paint her nails, watch The O.C, and run out of tampons. This sequence of events would really highlight how I have grown as a writer from 2013 to now by showing how diverse I could truly be. It was scrapped, though, when I couldn't fit the sentence "Scarlet Moist Secret Napkins" into the story without re-working the entire concept.
A list of the dying, a list of the damned.

V6
V5
Future
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register Now
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply