Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What Could Have Been; Feel free to share your abandoned ideas
Topic Started: Mar 24 2011, 09:49 AM (7,598 Views)
backslash
Member Avatar
Who is this sassy lost child
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh, this looks fun. I really only have stuff for Natali, since Marcus was adopted and is still alive and all.

Natali wakes up in Deep Breath, Deep Breath: Yes, this very nearly happened. I almost had Natali wake up in the clearing while Theo and Hansel were fighting, and hide in the bushes until Theo left, whereupon she would have popped out of the bushes to offer Hansel some first aid. Obviously, this would have changed both her and Hansel's early game pretty drastically and it's still fun to think about.

The many deaths of Natali: I bounced around a lot of ideas before settling on the death I went with when Natali was rolled. One was that she would commit suicide by drowning herself in the Dead Man's Grotto, another was that she would accidentally run into Adam or Maynard's weapon and bleed out (probably Maynard's, since I can't seem to stop traumatizing the poor guy).

Natali takes a weapon and runs: This was just a brief thought, since it didn't really fit with her character, but I considered having Natali try to steal Adam or Maynard's weapon and abandon them. I never pitched the idea to Toben or Sansa, and abandoned it pretty quickly.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Characters

Others
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

backslash
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
NotAFlyingToy
Dec 12 2014, 07:53 AM
So, since Endgame's upon us, I think it's time to kind of 'show my hand' as it were with things I've done with my more popular (or at least, more publicised) character throughout V5. It's absolutely crazy how many ideas I had - fully fleshed out and partially mused upon alike - and I've been nearly bursting to tell people. I know endgame isn't over yet, and Hansel's fate is still not disclosed, but I can sit on the pandora's box no longer.

-- Natali becomes a super hero.

This was the best of my ideas by far in terms of theme. Natali's story is one of taking the backseat, masterfully woven by backslash, and I felt that the best way to capitalize on the seeds she'd sown during her original (albeit mournfully undershadowed by my own writing with Natali) run of the character by crafting a narrative in which Natali would burst out of her shell and become the hard-bitten, tough as nails girl that looks up to Vasquez and any lead played by Michelle Rodriguez. It largely fell through when Natali was rolled, though, and when backslash wrote her death three months before I adopted her.

-- Natali's Family Runs a Wake

The Greers were such a well-fleshed out and remarkably nuanced family that backslash was able to craft a vivid image of them without a single word written from their perspective, leaving the reader to basically imagine literally everything about her home life. This made them the perfect outlet to write a mass funeral for all of the V5 kids' parents, where Natali's mother with perfect hair and a kind soul who's well liked by everyone would write a moving speech read by her sensitive but strong father who wore glasses (not because he needed them, but to make him more approachable to people) who would cry during it. It was a nice bit, but I had to scrap most of it when I discovered that Natali was black, and I'm not comfortable writing black people.

-- Natali Buys A Horse In The Afterlife

This idea was fucking dumb and I hated it the second I thought it up.

-- Natali Gets Her Period

I was finally going to show my chops writing a female character by having her paint her nails, watch The O.C, and run out of tampons. This sequence of events would really highlight how I have grown as a writer from 2013 to now by showing how diverse I could truly be. It was scrapped, though, when I couldn't fit the sentence "Scarlet Moist Secret Napkins" into the story without re-working the entire concept.
I am fully supportive of the horse idea.

Anyway, I had some ideas for Marcus before I kind of stalled out with him and handed him off to Persy, but they were pretty vague. Mostly I'm sad that he and Phoebe split up and then she died before him because I didn't get the opportunity to have his last words be "This marriage is killing me, Phoebe".
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Since all but one of my characters are dead now and we're into the top 20(!) I figured I might as well post here.

1. Cristo doesn't get swapped for Raina. I will probably never be certain that swapping Cristo on the first rolls was the best idea, and I guess the fact that I'm unsure about that and that I still have ideas for what I could have done with him speaks to the fact that I could get mileage out of him in a Second Chances Three or something. If he didn't die on the first day I was going to have him stick with Abby for moral support for a while (also Abby would have lived, sorry Paige) before deciding whether he was going to have a freak out and hurt somebody else or just self-destruct under pressure.

2. The other side of that, Raina dies early.

3. Raina does an escape plot that is actually kind of successful or at least gets herself/her allies blown up. This didn't end up working because I'm not knowledgeable enough about the necessary mechanics and once I joined staff it wasn't doable anyway because that would be cheating.

4. Raina blows somebody else up. Probably Darius or Johnny or something and quite possibly blowing a hand off and mortally wounding herself in the process.

5. Bridgette does something. When I initially took Bridgette over, I was planning to have her attempt to play, eventually throwing Bryony under the bus when she needed to distract a threat or score what she thought of as an easy kill. But then Astrid got rolled, soz.

6. GLD gets killed by Fiyori. This was my initial plan from before she was even rolled, but the in-character timing would have made it awkward and implausible.

7. GLD kills Fiyori. Riki made a suggestion to this effect after I first adopted GLD, though it probably never would have come to fruition even if Fiyori had gotten rolled since Frogue's basically only instruction was that he didn't want GLD to kill.

8. Min-jae kills like... a bunch of other people besides the ones he has actually killed. I've gotten rejected for several death offers this version (and no hard feelings, I don't want anyone to think I'm calling them out), which I imagine would have altered the course of his story a fair bit depending on who and when, if they had happened. Probably for the better that they didn't happen, since I didn't want him to become a straight player.

9. Min-jae meets Henry and probably has sad makeouts with him or something before Henry dies. Not being able to be there for Henry's death is a regret of mine from this version, though I'm happy with what it led to.

10. Min-jae-Brendan-Ty three way showdown. An idea I pitched to Paige and Primrosette before both Ty and Brendan got rolled, which we were unfortunately not able to carry out. The basic idea was for Jae and Ty to get into it before Jae spots Brendan and promptly throws him under the bus so Ty won't turn his face into hamburger.

11. Nathan (remember him?) goes to the island instead of Cristo. This was my initial plan during pregame before I decided I was having more fun writing Cristo and then I killed him on Day 1 anyway. Nathan being there might have led to a more cohesive Ballet Death Squad™ had I been able to put my plans for him into motion.

That's all I can think of right now but there's probably stuff I'm forgetting.
Characters

Others

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply