Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What Could Have Been; Feel free to share your abandoned ideas
Topic Started: Mar 24 2011, 09:49 AM (7,583 Views)
Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
Paige/EP/Plush, they/them pronouns pls thanks :3
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I can't weigh in much yet since Garrett's still alive and Alda's just beginning for me, but I do have some conceptual things that I wrote waaaaaaayyyy back before V5 even started pre-game.

Garrett as legitimately emotionless: This was a big dumb thing that I'm really glad I didn't go with, but instead of having Garrett's emphasis on emotional control be an ethical/philosophical thing, I was going to have Garrett develop a pronounced case of ASD that would essentially render him emotionless. He'd be a much more selfish character, and a lot of his conflict would have resided around genuine confusion over how people felt or why they were acting the way they did.

In short? Really dumb. I'm glad I went a different direction, because this basically strips out everything that makes Garrett Garrett.

Garrett as the Island Shrink: There's a nod to this in Garrett's original profile when it mentions his interest in developmental psychology. That was kind of a hanger-on note that I'm not proud of, though it was part of a bigger picture. At one stage, Garrett became super-into psychology instead of philosophy. This would have accented his analytical side, but also made him a bit more compassionate. This Garrett was genuinely interested in helping everyone instead of the more morally grey Garrett I'm attempting to write now. He never would have ended up in Garrett's current story-line. All in all, I actually really like this concept and hope to refurbish it some version, especially since I'm somewhat unhappy with a lot of Garrett's core aspects.

A snap shot of what this sort of character would have entailed includes hunting down players and hysterical classmates to try and talk them down. A lot of the notes Garrett's taken probably would have been made as well, but with a different tone and with deeper psychological influence. He'd also have stayed with groups more and spent less time on his own. In some respects, he would have been similar to what Imehal ended up doing with Carlon Wheeler, though with the religious overtones replaced with more secular therapeutic ones.

Garrett Who Never Got Help: This concept went on to become a portion of Gabriel Munez. One potential avenue for Garrett's development as a character was to simply leave him angry and unloved. Removing the intervention from his grandfather, Garrett could have grown up to be very impulsive, rebellious, and all around nasty. I wanted to try and write a very mean, angry character whose internal monologue was just as hateful to himself as he was to everyone else. I don't think it would have been executed well, and on reflection he was rather flat. I like that I shelved the idea and let Gabriel grow into it rather than forcing it on Garrett.

Garrett Without An Accident: This one's probably my biggest regret. I toyed with the idea of having Garrett grow into his problems organically, but I got frustrated with the process and I wanted to be done with the profile, so I lazily wrote in what is really a ham-fisted excuse for him to feel negatively about his emotions. Tragedy is a crutch at times, and I think that shines really brightly in his profile. I wish I'd gone for a more natural process that gave him more development, and this regret extends in some ways towards his pre-game relationship with Mirabella as well, since looking back my side of things there is also more than a bit hammy and cliche. Organics is something I've tried to emphasize with the rest of my characters since, to varying degrees of success, but I don't think I'll ever stop regretting taking the easy way out with Garrett. It's a tough lesson to look back on.
SotF Characters

the highest honor i'll ever achieve

Plush Wants To Read Your Dead Things and your Living Things! As of 8/14/2017, the Living Queue is Closed, and the Dead Queue is Open!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
Paige/EP/Plush, they/them pronouns pls thanks :3
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
One thing I thought might be fun to throw up here, after the fact, is Garrett's notes, both coding the pamphlet and some of his killer coding stuff. Gonna spoiler it because some of it is massive, may expand on it a bit later.

Pamphlet coding

Shorthand killer coding

Hansel In-Depth Killer Coding
SotF Characters

the highest honor i'll ever achieve

Plush Wants To Read Your Dead Things and your Living Things! As of 8/14/2017, the Living Queue is Closed, and the Dead Queue is Open!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply