Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What Could Have Been; Feel free to share your abandoned ideas
Topic Started: Mar 24 2011, 09:49 AM (7,260 Views)
MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This looks fun. I'll go ahead and keep living characters off of this except for two particular things.

Everett becomes a player: Soooo... embarassing as it is, all my characters were originally designed to snap and play (I had to do that with each new one I made because I kept realizing how dumb the ideas were and jettisoning them). Everett had a big inferiority complex, was pretty scared, and just generally was going to lose it and decide that, for once, he could be the best at something. It was fairly bare-bones and boring, so I'd ditched it by halfway through pregame. I sort of lost track of where I was going with Everett in the end, so I killed him off in the first rolls. This leads nicely to...

Aaron dies in the first rolls: When Aaron came up in the first set of rolls, I was originally just going to let him die. Sol and I even had a scene planned, where, while handing over her gun, Lily practiced poor gun safety and accidentally fatally shot Aaron. I figured it'd be interesting to see a character who'd had a pretty long pregame and a lot of connections go out early and anticlimactically. Aaron was actually going to basically freak out as he realized that he wasn't even special enough to last a day.

Luckily, Mimi, Jonny, and Ricky all came to me and went, "Stop being dumb about this." I decided that I actually did have some things to do with Aaron, and resolved to save him. I swapped immediately because it seemed really unfair to potentially catch a Hero by having stated that I wouldn't Swap when I had, in fact, become willing to do so.

Isaiah meets Liz Polanski: This one actually got bounced around quite a lot. Isaiah was going to stumble across a wounded Liz, attempt to help her back to health, and quite likely die horribly for his efforts. Thread timelines didn't mesh well, though, so a different group ended up performing that function, and Isaiah ended up catching a golf club to the skull when RJ got rolled.

Kimberly dies in D-Day: I actually did consider killing Kimberly off in her first thread. I wasn't happy with her in the slightest, couldn't find her voice, and had no clue where to go with her, so I had her do something really dumb and get shot for her troubles. Suddenly, she was fun to write again, so I decided not to any pre-roll deaths (or Swap/Hero her, as I had originally intended).
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Okay, sweet. I just remembered this thread, and, well, since V4's over now and there's a bunch of stuff I have to share, I figured I'd bump it up again.

Here we go:

Aaron:

*Aaron is a legit protagonist:

This one was abandoned fairly completely by the time V4 had started, but for a while I was going to take Aaron's delusions of grandeur the other way and make him a real good guy, albeit an insufferable and less-than-competent one. Basically, he'd've tried the same sort of stuff except without the edge of malice or the scheming contingencies. The problem was, by the end of pregame, I'd realized just how much of a selfish jerk Aaron was, and making him be decent and altruistic would've been derailing him. Instead, I moved on to:

*Aaron goes paranoid, holes up with guns and tries to outlast people by keeping a low profile:

Basically, Aaron was never supposed to be a leader. At the start of the game, I was gonna have him alienate a bunch of people, try for a weapon, then go off to set up a base camp somewhere. At that point, he'd basically try to scare people out/set himself up a little improvised fortress, and devolve further and further into paranoia as the game went on. In practice, this idea lasted maybe three posts, because Aaron got a group dumped on him who were willing to follow him, and someone (I think Tom?) planted the idea of forming a squad in his head. Again, refusing would've been derailing his character, so I rolled with it and ended up where stuff ended up.

*Aaron captures a player, holds a kangaroo court:

I really, really liked this one and regret it not happening. Basically, Aaron was fairly judgmental about players at several points. I wanted him to get one down, then basically run them through a horribly half-baked faux-legal proceeding before coaxing one of his allies into executing the captive (keeping his own name off the announcements, of course). The problem here was that the group moved slowly, players were popular targets, and we had a bunch of other scenes to get through. I don't think I ever even raised this one with more than a couple of the other handlers of Aaron's group.

*Aaron dies early/unrolled/in some way he didn't:

Aaron was never supposed to live until the final ten. Originally, I'd planned to kill him before the last couple members of his group. I don't know how many people know this, but Aaron's basically my least favorite character I wrote during V4. I kept looking for good times/places to kill him, but didn't end up doing anything for a few reasons.

First off, he had a group, and I really loved working with the handlers in it. His plotline and theirs were intertwined pretty majorly, and I didn't want to screw anyone over by dropping the bottom out of that. I also just liked writing with them, even if I wasn't such a fan of my own stuff. I basically decided to keep Aaron around until he got rolled or it helped someone else in the group's plotline for him to die.

Then, though, the group's plans kept shifting and evolving and Aaron just stubbornly refused to get rolled. I'd already used my cards earlier in the game, too, so I couldn't kill him off in a way that really meant anything or got anywhere satisfactory. I figured maybe when his group got down to one other person, I'd let them take him out.

I was actually discussing killing him, um, the second time Kimberly was rolled. Jonny talked me out of it, though. I think Jonny talked me out of killing Aaron at least four times, and he made the right call in the end, because I was pretty pleased with the ending I actually found him. But yeah, I kept getting frustrated and almost killing Aaron, but it never quite shaped up.

*Aaron goes completely bonkers, believes the island is D&D and he is a wizard or something dumb like that:

This is, um, what I was thinking when I wrote Aaron's profile. He was going to assess strategy in terms of Dungeons and Dragons modifiers and Detect Evil on his classmates and all kids of phenomenally idiotic stuff like that. Thankfully, pregame dragged on for ages and some handlers clubbed some taste into me.

Jennifer:

*Jennifer gets shanghaied into being a killer's assistant:

Basically, Jennifer was originally supposed to get bullied into working with a killer, and either helping them or maybe doing the brunt of their dirty work for them. She's not very assertive, so the theory was she'd maybe just go along with it and fall deeper and deeper into things until it was too late to get free. Eventually, she'd either get manipulated into taking a bullet for her ally or would grow a spine just in time to get gunned down for it.

I actually kinda like the concept, still, and was super pleased to see something similar go down with Sarah and Alice. For Jennifer, it got dropped because, by the end of pregame, she hadn't become any more assertive but it had become clear that her personality and coping strategies wouldn't accommodate that sort of thing.

*Jennifer kills to save someone:

This was Jennifer-as-villain plan #2. Basically, the thought was, as the game goes on, one of her friends gets badly injured or falls ill. Giving up hope, she figures the best way to save them is to end the game as quickly as possible, which basically amounts to actually playing. Again, this one was pretty much totally discarded by the time V4 proper rolled around, except as an extremely unlikely possibility.

*Jennifer dies trying to save someone:

One of the deaths I'd thought of for Jennifer involved her basically trying to intervene to save someone from a player. Basically, she'd try to walk up and talk the player down/coax them into letting their intended victim go, almost certainly with fatal consequences. This was one of the two deaths I'd loosely come up with for Jennifer, and would've maybe even worked with the other. I'm not gonna list the other here, 'cause I like it enough to use it someday (in fact, I made a character on Mini specifically to die it, but she went and avoided getting killed too. ><)

*Jennifer stays on the island:

Jennifer was one of my favorite characters to write. I had a ton of fun with her, and, when some handlers pulled the stuff that ended up resulting in the rescue and when the staff figured out that was coming, I decided to toss her in its way. I actually considered leaving her behind pretty seriously, though. In the end, everyone she had to interact with except Maf got rolled in one fell swoop, and I was pretty sure she didn't have the momentum or storyline to go far, and I suspected the rolls were gonna bite me, and I basically just thought she'd be more interesting as a survivor. So... yeah, she ended up on the boats.

Gonna leave it there for now. Had a boatload of stuff for Kimberly, but I think that'll have to wait for another time when I'm more focused.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ares
Feb 9 2014, 06:12 PM
Everyone pretty much knows what my original plan with Riz was
Actually, I'm drawing a blank and would be really interested if you're up for sharing!
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply