Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What Could Have Been; Feel free to share your abandoned ideas
Topic Started: Mar 24 2011, 09:49 AM (7,587 Views)
Ares
Member Avatar
V3 World Heavyweight Champion
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'll do one of my characters from V2 and V3 because I'm a grizzled veteran of this site:

V2 - Rob Adams:

Rob was originally supposed to die from the first person he encountered, but after my experiment with Steven Smith was sucking majorly, I decided to keep Rob going. He was going to be an extremely cowardly person who cracked under the pressure to the point of paranoia. He was going to shoot his gun at random things along his way, before finally encountering a killer. When he tried to shoot them, the gun was going to be empty from his paranoia shooting leaving him open to get blown apart.

After deciding to keep him and linking him up with Matt, Rob was originally going to be the one who got laid and killed, but we (baby_g and I) decided to have Matt be the one to take on that personality as it was in line with the RL person Matt was based on.

V3 - Steve Digaetano

Everyone pretty much knows what my original plan with Riz was, so I'll talk about what I wanted to do with Steve. There was a brief plan to get the football team together and have them run a rampage through the island and be a power team. That was scrapped when the game went live. We were going to give it a couple threads before everyone met up, but the threads the football guys found themselves in were pretty awesome and the handlers liked the paths, so we kept them apart (for the most part).

Once the decision was made to keep them from being a villainous power team, I had Steve bail on Courtney (honestly due to the handler wanting her dead) and going on his own path.

Oh, Steve was also supposed to be part of the escape plan. He was going to stumble upon the area where the collars were being removed and find out what the plan was. He was going act as one of the leaders, before realizing that he couldn't leave Gabe behind. Steve was going to get his collar off and head back on to the island to get Gabe. Then in classic TV fashion, he was going to find Gabe (and whoever was with him at that point in time) and get them back to the escape area. It was going to be here that they were going to realize that all the fighting had started and Gabe was going to die. Steve was going to end up getting left behind with no collar on and return to the game collarless and play it out from there. This was nixed at the last minute when it was decided to keep everything ridiculously private for the escape.

Now, I really liked Steve to the point where looking back on it, I would have liked to win it with him more than with Riz. My only worry with Steve would have been how he would have handled a final four with only one villain in Lenny. I don't know what we would have done if it came down to Trish vs Lulu vs Steve. Trish and Steve were about equally armed, but it would have been a case of who fired first.
Is in...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ares
Member Avatar
V3 World Heavyweight Champion
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Well then, there were a couple main ideas with Riz.

Rizzle Idea #1: "HHH he is not."

Riz decides to play the game. This was going to be a similar path to how he was played, but this idea would have made him much more methodical, and way less over the top. Real life Riz is a very very street smart person. I wanted to originally portray JR as the villain version of RL Riz, which would be an extremely cerebral approach. The type of villain, similar in a way to what we saw with Aaron, where he talks other people into doing the dirty work. He plants the seeds of doubt. Rarely gets his hands dirty. That type of villain. What I found though in doing some practice writes was at the time, my writing wasn't very strong (still don't think it is), and I was having an insanely difficult time finding a balance to the cerebral approach that didn't make Riz seem completely and utterly cookie cutter. So the cerebral assassin idea was out, much to the sadness of myself.

Rizzle Idea #2: "Minor Adjustments"

This was the one I was the closest to going with, and damn near switched to this when Riz got the cut above his eye. This was going to be the same story as he had. Decide to play, fail at getting some kills for a while, then once he gets his first, ramp up the violence. Once I knew that the cerebral approach wasn't going to work, I decided to take an ultra-violence approach for a couple reasons. 1) I knew that RL Riz would be humour-pissed that I chose to make him a looney. 2) Ultra-violence can be entertaining in this type of format and I wanted to see if I could pull it off in an entertaining way, and maybe induce some cringes (tire iron finger breaking folks). 3) I knew that to take an ultra-violent killer approach, I would need to earn people's respect with my character. You can't have a super killer in these games be it villain, hero, anti-hero, etc. without people letting you kill their characters. To take an ultra-violent approach and make it work, I'd need other writers to WANT Riz to kill their character. (Btw: I appreciate all those who did let me kill their characters. Riz's eventual story and win wouldn't be possible with you guys). So anyways, Riz was going to racking up the kills, moving up the most-dangerous list, until his fight with Velvet. When she caused his eye cut, that was going to my way out of writing Riz.

My plan was going to have Riz keep going for a while yet. Then, when he and Eddie fought, he would have collapsed a few times. I would have been including subtle hints in the posts leading up to the fight that Riz was suffering from Sepsis from the cut above his eye. This finally would have taken its toll from the pure exhaustion of the Eddie battle, and after finally collapsing and not moving, it would have allowed Eddie to absolutely destroy him. I'm talking like Jerred would have written such a beating as it would have been every ounce of that beautifully written frustration that Eddie had going. The only thing that actually stopped this from happening was Jerred actually PMing me and saying, "I don't want to write an Endgame. I like Riz and Steve enough that I'd rather you try to win with one of them. Let's just rock the hell out of this scene." I'd like to think we did that justice.

So yeah, Riz not being finally crippled by sepsis and being savagely beaten to death is thanks to Jerred liking my characters enough to sacrifice one of the (in my opinion) Top 5 Characters of V3 and Top 10 Characters in SOTF.

Rizzle Plan #3: "Dan is an awful, awful friend."

Kyle Rizea in V2 was supposed to be my interpretation of I thought RL Riz (real name is Kyle) would act in a Battle Royale/SOTF situation. It was going to be my roleplaying him exactly as I saw him and could see him acting. Instead, he was one-threaded in a humourous scene with the wonderful Bryan Calvert.

I came very close at one point before I began Riz in V3 to doing that again, just to be a dick to my RL best friend. I knew that RL Riz read SOTF and enjoyed it, but he had always ragged on me for how "he" was killed in V2. I was actually going to have Harry Tsai kill him to keep with the theme of Cyco writing the character who kills Riz.

There you go, those were the Rizzle Plans in all their glory.
Is in...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Register Now
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply