Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What Could Have Been; Feel free to share your abandoned ideas
Topic Started: Mar 24 2011, 09:49 AM (7,245 Views)
Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
Paige/EP/Plush, they/them pronouns pls thanks :3
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
One thing I thought might be fun to throw up here, after the fact, is Garrett's notes, both coding the pamphlet and some of his killer coding stuff. Gonna spoiler it because some of it is massive, may expand on it a bit later.

Pamphlet coding

Shorthand killer coding

Hansel In-Depth Killer Coding
SotF Characters

the highest honor i'll ever achieve

Plush Wants To Read Your Dead Things and your Living Things! As of 8/14/2017, the Living Queue is Closed, and the Dead Queue is Open!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
Southern motherfuckin' democratic republicans.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So, since Endgame's upon us, I think it's time to kind of 'show my hand' as it were with things I've done with my more popular (or at least, more publicised) character throughout V5. It's absolutely crazy how many ideas I had - fully fleshed out and partially mused upon alike - and I've been nearly bursting to tell people. I know endgame isn't over yet, and Hansel's fate is still not disclosed, but I can sit on the pandora's box no longer.

-- Natali becomes a super hero.

This was the best of my ideas by far in terms of theme. Natali's story is one of taking the backseat, masterfully woven by backslash, and I felt that the best way to capitalize on the seeds she'd sown during her original (albeit mournfully undershadowed by my own writing with Natali) run of the character by crafting a narrative in which Natali would burst out of her shell and become the hard-bitten, tough as nails girl that looks up to Vasquez and any lead played by Michelle Rodriguez. It largely fell through when Natali was rolled, though, and when backslash wrote her death three months before I adopted her.

-- Natali's Family Runs a Wake

The Greers were such a well-fleshed out and remarkably nuanced family that backslash was able to craft a vivid image of them without a single word written from their perspective, leaving the reader to basically imagine literally everything about her home life. This made them the perfect outlet to write a mass funeral for all of the V5 kids' parents, where Natali's mother with perfect hair and a kind soul who's well liked by everyone would write a moving speech read by her sensitive but strong father who wore glasses (not because he needed them, but to make him more approachable to people) who would cry during it. It was a nice bit, but I had to scrap most of it when I discovered that Natali was black, and I'm not comfortable writing black people.

-- Natali Buys A Horse In The Afterlife

This idea was fucking dumb and I hated it the second I thought it up.

-- Natali Gets Her Period

I was finally going to show my chops writing a female character by having her paint her nails, watch The O.C, and run out of tampons. This sequence of events would really highlight how I have grown as a writer from 2013 to now by showing how diverse I could truly be. It was scrapped, though, when I couldn't fit the sentence "Scarlet Moist Secret Napkins" into the story without re-working the entire concept.
A list of the dying, a list of the damned.

V6
V5
Future

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
NotAFlyingToy
Dec 12 2014, 07:53 AM
So, since Endgame's upon us, I think it's time to kind of 'show my hand' as it were with things I've done with my more popular (or at least, more publicised) character throughout V5. It's absolutely crazy how many ideas I had - fully fleshed out and partially mused upon alike - and I've been nearly bursting to tell people. I know endgame isn't over yet, and Hansel's fate is still not disclosed, but I can sit on the pandora's box no longer.

-- Natali becomes a super hero.

This was the best of my ideas by far in terms of theme. Natali's story is one of taking the backseat, masterfully woven by backslash, and I felt that the best way to capitalize on the seeds she'd sown during her original (albeit mournfully undershadowed by my own writing with Natali) run of the character by crafting a narrative in which Natali would burst out of her shell and become the hard-bitten, tough as nails girl that looks up to Vasquez and any lead played by Michelle Rodriguez. It largely fell through when Natali was rolled, though, and when backslash wrote her death three months before I adopted her.

-- Natali's Family Runs a Wake

The Greers were such a well-fleshed out and remarkably nuanced family that backslash was able to craft a vivid image of them without a single word written from their perspective, leaving the reader to basically imagine literally everything about her home life. This made them the perfect outlet to write a mass funeral for all of the V5 kids' parents, where Natali's mother with perfect hair and a kind soul who's well liked by everyone would write a moving speech read by her sensitive but strong father who wore glasses (not because he needed them, but to make him more approachable to people) who would cry during it. It was a nice bit, but I had to scrap most of it when I discovered that Natali was black, and I'm not comfortable writing black people.

-- Natali Buys A Horse In The Afterlife

This idea was fucking dumb and I hated it the second I thought it up.

-- Natali Gets Her Period

I was finally going to show my chops writing a female character by having her paint her nails, watch The O.C, and run out of tampons. This sequence of events would really highlight how I have grown as a writer from 2013 to now by showing how diverse I could truly be. It was scrapped, though, when I couldn't fit the sentence "Scarlet Moist Secret Napkins" into the story without re-working the entire concept.
I am fully supportive of the horse idea.

Anyway, I had some ideas for Marcus before I kind of stalled out with him and handed him off to Persy, but they were pretty vague. Mostly I'm sad that he and Phoebe split up and then she died before him because I didn't get the opportunity to have his last words be "This marriage is killing me, Phoebe".
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Characters

Others
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So, is this still a thing? Because now that my peeps are all dead and metaphorically buried (two of these are only really conceptual things but):

- Mallory was designed to be a player killer: This didn't even last into the main game, but that was the original intent when making her character. Hence the bully-disliking and such. First character made, hadn't really figured out how to write subtle yet.

- Naomi's character was originally going to be a guy: This is irrelevant except in the fact that it likely would have resulted in an extra Miles Strickland wandering around. And this is pretty much the only change that ever happened where Naomi was concerned.

- The Joe-Travis brief alliance was meant to start a lot sooner, and on a more benign note. However, the time it took to start (we'd been about to have them meet literally right as the crash happened) and the obvious crazy-murderer vibe of Travis' announced kills/continuous encounters with people that Travis had pissed off drove the alliance out of benign 'yay friend' territory before it even started.

- Possible 'If Joe Had Won' scenarios: Had Joe won V5 (though it probably couldn't have been done convincingly given his mindset) he likely would have either a) tried to join STAR in an attempt to make up for his murders, or b) not been able to deal with regular life after everything and eventually committed suicide. I'm not quite sure which, it likely would have partially depended on how endgame went, but I think it probably would have been the latter.
V6 Characters

V5 Characters

Cicada Days
Member Avatar
keep running yoshi
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Blow of two years of dust and ARISE.

- Florentina Luz was not intended to suck -

RIP. The crux of my Tina concept was a character whose character was the environment more than it was her thoughts or actions, but this proved exceedingly difficult to execute in practice and I was sort of scrambling to make something out her by the end. I mean I maybe could have even executed a half-baked, wishy-washy concept, but...

I just didn't plan well. Every single post was off the cuff and thus a clusterfuck of ideas I could remember and half ass, and days after the fact I'd be like 'shit I forgot [x] motif'. When a character is this purely prosaic the repeating motifs and symbols are probably key, but I just didn't keep track of them. Tina's mess of a story is the end result.

Long story short, Tina needs to be revisited in a Second Chances. I fucked up in a big way, and I'm not about to go back and edit all her stuff! What's done is done. Tina was an experiment, Tina was a failure, Tina was a lesson.

- The original plan was not for Tina to die to Isabel -

Isabel wasn't originally going to grab first blood. The plan I tentatively had was a sort of cheap twist where the girls would fight and then swap bags in the chaos as Tina escaped. Key to this is the scarf in the bag (at least if people can even figure out that it's a scarf given the dumbass prose), it was supposed to be like Tina's 'heart' or her 'ark of the covanent' or something else really important. Tina would never meet another Luz, and she would die shortly after and only in death realize she'd lost the scarf, the final blow to her that she wasn't ever able to protect her beloved Lily or ultimately even the sole token of her existence. Isabel would later casually notice the scarf while sifting through her own inventory and acknowledge it after the fact.

Note that Tina was originally not supposed to use religious imagery for describing Lily, I have no idea how or why that happened.

Ultimately this plan fell through because Alvania had the gall to go and get rolled and I decided Tina could just as easily die now as later. I think this turned out for the better! The original plan was probably less potent than what ended up happening. I think the scarf might still have a minor, relevant role.

- Florentina Luz would have had a brief, positive encounter before dying -

I was mulling over a transitional thread post-bag swap and pre-death, one where Tina's lack of speech would work in her favor for a change and let us see her in a more positive light (and more ridiculously awful prose!). Like, kind of as a solid seeming figure who's listening or the like. I don't know who I'd have put her with, just someone or another who needed a bit of calm/a sounding board? This was a really nebulous concept, but all the extra I had for Tina. She was intended to die early, even prior to me realizing I had failed with her.
The Dies Before First Rolls Squad

The Nights

CondorTalon
Member Avatar
Banki Assembly Line
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well, since we're reviving this...

Jennifer doesn't die.

Oops. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Let's show that private threads still aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on the island in V6. If I started a thread in-game, you are welcome to join it.

In the past...

In the future...

Ciel
Member Avatar
"That’s not a prediction, that’s a spoiler.”
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'll do you one better.

Justice Armstrong

April 6, 2014 - August 13, 2016
V6

G052 - Reed, Jasmine - 0% - Falchion - START END
G060 - Pfeiffer, Scout - 100% - Sawlaska Thunderfuck 5000 - START
G025 - Reyes, Audrey - 0% - Nunchaku - START END

releases greatest hits album, is an one-hit wonder

Espi
Member Avatar
Death By Truth
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hello friends, since we're past halfway, I thought we could bring this back.

Henry actually finds Jae: So Henry was originally going to have a touching final moment with Jae shortly before dying. It was going to be sad and cute and all sorts of fun things, but unfortunately circumstances meant there wasn't enough time before deadline to finish the scene. So Henry died alone and Jae found his body later. How tragic! (Also this is why Henry's death thread was named as it was)

Henry as a quirky protagonist: Henry was a little messy during his experience in the midgame. My initial plan was for him to find a group to stick to and be the moral support/heart. I was thinking that he'd sort of play on Maria Graham, where he's very silly and out-of-touch, but with a more serious center, which was referenced in his opening denial of the situation. I wasn't sure who I was keeping around at the time, so I thought Henry might make it far this way. Didn't work out because I didn't keep Henry around long enough and was too flighty with him to stick to a group. Ideally, this plan would have led into...

Henry is literally/metaphorically backstabbed: Exactly how it sounds. My hope was that Henry and his last companion would be together, and the friend would kill Henry, leaving him in despair as he is betrayed. Didn't happen because none of his friends ended up in a position to do so.

Alice actually does what her first oneshot said she'd do: So remember how Alice had the first post in the chapel? How she declared she wanted to avoid human contact for as long as possible? That was a fun idea, but for a couple reasons it never worked out and she ended up buddying. I like her current iteration, but I think someday I'd like to do something like that. Maybe.

That's what I've got for now, may update it later on.
V5: Cut Short

V6: Broken Down

V7: Unprepared

Cicada Days
Member Avatar
keep running yoshi
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Checked through old Google Docs and I found the Ben document I'd written up that probably would have allowed me to have executed his arc more competently had I remembered it existed. Had some future hypotheticals plans for his island path on there too.

Increase Minimalism - Ben's tone was planned to become more and more sparse and minimalist as he continued to lose hope and self-agency. I actually think this was my general intention no matter what path he ended up taking on island. This would probably have fit the role he ended up playing alongside Raina, Penelope, Kizi, and Lili better than what I actually elected to do.

Nate, Matt, Henry... Astrid?? - I think this document was made around the time of the months Day 2 OOCly occurred in, so a lot of my musing seems to have centered around potential paths the group would have built up and broken down along. Henry stealing was the plan ultimately executed but there were other factors I never brought into the equation. But I think no matter what my long term goal was for Ben to end up apart from Matt and Nate, I just think the routes leading there were unclear for a while. Something I wanted was Ben mindlessly running off from the group to chase after Henry, and I think I proposed a scene where Ben roughed up Henry a bit as morally dubious retribution but Espi didn't like it or something like that.

I dunno if I ever properly opened negotiations with Pippin but I think I considered the idea of Astrid joining that group, which I might have proposed along the lines of her bluffing her way into temporary safety until she had the right circumstances to score her kill. I was intrigued by the idea of the dynamics that would form between the members of the group, one treacherous, one point five frothing player killers in the making, the sort of conversations/arguments that could arise... I made some provisions that the group could have lasted long, Ben either scoring a player hunter kill that kicked off other aspects of his arc, or having naturally grown restless to start fighting back to the point where he'd abandon the group. Of course in the end the group barely lasted a day and the scene with Alvaro was the consequence of a bunch of people including myself rejecting my various ideas, I believe.

One PK - My main idea all along was that Ben would get one player kill but then his will to fight would evaporate as he couldn't handle the moral and emotional difficulty of coming to terms with murder. In short the path he did take in the post Penelope half of what actually happened, but with the added guilt and weight of having properly murdered and such. Meeting Penelope was a bit of a spontaneous decision on my hand, he could easily have stayed on this 'get one kill' route I had planned if Turtle hadn't posted Haunted Reality when she had. I think I was hoping to make Alex or Alvaro the kill, but in hindsight neither Grim Wolf or Yugi would likely have approved, so I suppose I should be glad I was diverted when I was.

Very unlikely that he'd have ever gone a full PK route.

An Amputation Scene - Came up with this one when Ben was shot in the arm by Alvacuum. The wound goes gangrenous despite Ben's attempts to keep it clean and take care of it. I was interested in this because it's not the sort of scene I'm aware of kicking in during a version of SOTF (it probably has happened I'm just aware of it), it was gritty and brutal and visceral and something I was just very down for doing for a while. Ben would need to 127 Hours his own arm in a desperate attempt to contain the rapidly spreading infection. Chances that it would have worked were very low, this was essentially a guaranteed transition into a slow, painful, full of regrets death with all kinds of potential, especially if I could have roped people into helping him with the scene.

I just forgot about it over time. Even if I had recalled I probably would not have proposed it to backslash and Turtle, they were too busy with other stuff more pertinent to their characters and this was more a scene on my own behalf. Bit too dramatic for Ben's arc as it devolved.

Pulling a Jerry Fury (not what it sounds like) - At some point I made a note to myself that Ben had to fail to find words to comfort someone, or rant at someone, get a few words in and then fall into a silence. Internally he would have called this his Jerry Fury moment, in deference to Jerry's opening moments on island. I regret totally forgetting about this little idea.
The Dies Before First Rolls Squad

The Nights

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Since all but one of my characters are dead now and we're into the top 20(!) I figured I might as well post here.

1. Cristo doesn't get swapped for Raina. I will probably never be certain that swapping Cristo on the first rolls was the best idea, and I guess the fact that I'm unsure about that and that I still have ideas for what I could have done with him speaks to the fact that I could get mileage out of him in a Second Chances Three or something. If he didn't die on the first day I was going to have him stick with Abby for moral support for a while (also Abby would have lived, sorry Paige) before deciding whether he was going to have a freak out and hurt somebody else or just self-destruct under pressure.

2. The other side of that, Raina dies early.

3. Raina does an escape plot that is actually kind of successful or at least gets herself/her allies blown up. This didn't end up working because I'm not knowledgeable enough about the necessary mechanics and once I joined staff it wasn't doable anyway because that would be cheating.

4. Raina blows somebody else up. Probably Darius or Johnny or something and quite possibly blowing a hand off and mortally wounding herself in the process.

5. Bridgette does something. When I initially took Bridgette over, I was planning to have her attempt to play, eventually throwing Bryony under the bus when she needed to distract a threat or score what she thought of as an easy kill. But then Astrid got rolled, soz.

6. GLD gets killed by Fiyori. This was my initial plan from before she was even rolled, but the in-character timing would have made it awkward and implausible.

7. GLD kills Fiyori. Riki made a suggestion to this effect after I first adopted GLD, though it probably never would have come to fruition even if Fiyori had gotten rolled since Frogue's basically only instruction was that he didn't want GLD to kill.

8. Min-jae kills like... a bunch of other people besides the ones he has actually killed. I've gotten rejected for several death offers this version (and no hard feelings, I don't want anyone to think I'm calling them out), which I imagine would have altered the course of his story a fair bit depending on who and when, if they had happened. Probably for the better that they didn't happen, since I didn't want him to become a straight player.

9. Min-jae meets Henry and probably has sad makeouts with him or something before Henry dies. Not being able to be there for Henry's death is a regret of mine from this version, though I'm happy with what it led to.

10. Min-jae-Brendan-Ty three way showdown. An idea I pitched to Paige and Primrosette before both Ty and Brendan got rolled, which we were unfortunately not able to carry out. The basic idea was for Jae and Ty to get into it before Jae spots Brendan and promptly throws him under the bus so Ty won't turn his face into hamburger.

11. Nathan (remember him?) goes to the island instead of Cristo. This was my initial plan during pregame before I decided I was having more fun writing Cristo and then I killed him on Day 1 anyway. Nathan being there might have led to a more cohesive Ballet Death Squad™ had I been able to put my plans for him into motion.

That's all I can think of right now but there's probably stuff I'm forgetting.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Characters

Others
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
Tryhard
[ *  *  * ]
A Long Time Ago...

CrossBowPig - 07/25/2017
Right now I'm concerned with something a little more immediate:
Post 300

Cicada - 07/25/2017
u coming in for the kill
damn
milestonez

CrossBowPig - 07/25/2017
I'm gonna do a long-ass "What Could Have Been" post
Post mortem

Cicada - 07/25/2017
oh huh this'll be cool

CrossBowPig - 07/25/2017
Yeeeeeeee

Cresting Broken Plains: The V6 CBP Self-Indulgent Postmortem-y Thing

Introduction:
I've been feeling kind of navel-gazey recently. A good wallow in your own feelings can't really hurt you, as long as it isn't what you spend most of your time doing, but lately a lot of this introspection has been directed towards several of my missed opportunities during my first version on SOTF Main. A lot of these won't exactly be plans that fell through entirely, but missed opportunities, or points where my experience could have really, truly, changed, for better or for worse. Some of these will be reaches, and others will be what I hope are interesting insights into my process writing Arthur Bernstein and Lili Williams. I'll start with the most speculative and work my way up to an actual error I made that I'm pretty sure not many people (if any) have spotted on their own. Let's begin, shall we?

Arthur Could Have Gone With Henry Spencer And/Or Jasper Bustamante:
Writing the dynamic between Arthur and Coleen Reagan with Kilmarnock was one of my favorite parts of V6. Without that dynamic, I don't know if I would have been able to shape Arthur's narrative into the focused, pointed work that it turned out to be otherwise. However, the impact of this decision on the rest of both his and Henry and/or Jasper's stories would have butterfly-affected so many that I feel that, despite the reach-y nature of this hypothetical, it's worth including here. Speaking of Arthur, something else I lose sleep over is his death.

Lili Could Have Died Earlier If I Didn't Swap In Arthur:
Arthur's death was, admittedly, pretty damn well timed. Building the trust between Coleen and Arthur, from stressful situation to stressful situation, went on long enough for the absence of Arthur from Coleen's life to be emphasized in her behavior, and yet didn't drag so long that Arthur's dying first became a foregone conclusion. At the same time, Lili was in-between story threads at this point in time, having just decided she was completely done with Darius Van Dyke's escape plan. I don't know exactly how I would have killed her off at this point (I had vague visions at some point of a harrowing encounter between Lili and the Isabel Ramirez/Lily Caldwell duo). At the very least, it would have prevented one of her more egregious errors from spreading too badly later on, but we'll get to that later on. On Arthur's side, this could have squeezed a few more drops of real tension out of him and Coleen's strange friendship. I'm happy that things turned out the way they did, though.

Lili Could Have Not Left Benjamin Lichter and Maxim Kehlenbrink:
This one ultimately came out of my own impatience. This early on in my SOTF career, I still had not learned how to wait patiently for others to post. So, when I thought that Ben and Maxim were taking too long to wake up, I had Lili go and throw her shoes into the ocean. I probably intended for her to go back to Ben and Maxim, but eventually decided that if they did wind up meeting again Lili would have wanted to leave for real and that would just wind up being redundant. We're getting close to the big, big redundancy now, but I think there's just one thing I want to touch on before I get to that career-ruining revelation.

Lili's Death Could Have Been Planned Better:
I won't say much here, because a lot of this isn't mine to say. I primarily want to apologize for how much of a dick I was when it finally came time to kill of Lili and I still hadn't learned how to be patient yet. Her actual suicide was fine, but the thread prior had a lot of stress going on behind the scenes, and I'll leave it at that.

Which, finally, brings me to-

The Sports Strap:
Here we go.

Let's set the scene a little before I jump into the big fuck-up. In the thread My Human Gets Me Blues, Lili takes off her glasses and puts them in her pocket. She does this because, over the past few days, they've become so scratched up and smudgy that she's been unable to clean them in any meaningful capacity. Darius enters the room, and asks Lili if she's willing to help him carry the body of Jasmine King, which was lying in the middle of the room, for his escape plan attempt. She agrees, and the two carry the body out onto the bridge. While on the bridge in God In Three Persons, the subsequent thread, the glasses fall out of her pocket and are never seen again. Lili's sight problems get a little worse over the next few days, and factor into quite a few of her more hasty decisions, including, in some part, her catastrophic inability to sympathize with Asuka Takahara in Ship's A Goin' Down, the blurriness of Asuka's face matching the blurry line in Lili's mind between friend and foe.

There's one problem with all of this, though.

Lili should have never lost the glasses.

Take a look at these few sentences from Lili's profile.

Appearance Section

On the day of the kidnapping, Lili was wearing a blue sweater and black jeans. Underneath her sweater she wears a red Frank Zappa T-Shirt. For footwear, she wears blue Chuck Taylor sneakers that she bought the previous summer. Her glasses are attached to her head with a sports strap, a precaution she has taken since her early schooling.

Did you catch that? Let's zoom in a little closer. Good, good, now, enhance!

ENHANCE!

Her glasses are attached to her head with a sports strap, a precaution she has taken since her early schooling.

If you don't know what a sports-strap is, it looks like this:

Sports Strap

I'm unsure if you can tell exactly from the photo, but having worn one of these myself, they're affixed pretty tightly to your head when you wear them. So tightly, in fact, that you'd want to let your glasses droop around your neck instead of take them off if you were being annoyed by just how smudgy they had started to get. If you had been wearing them since grade school, like Lili, you probably would have been used to doing this instead of leaving them in your pocket, and if you had been wearing the strap to avoid losing the glasses specifically because you're a massive ditz, then you'd definitely not just put your glasses in your pocket.

So, what happens when Lili doesn't lose her glasses? A whole lot of stuff, really. She probably wouldn't have spent so much time running in circles and getting drenched in the rain - in fact, she might have even fought Leslie Price if, I dunno, she could have seen her - she wouldn't have relied so heavily on others during the second half of her run, and she most definitely would have had a harder time shooting Asuka. Some of these changes would have played out for worse, and others for better, but the one thing tying them all together is the disappearance of Lili's Sports Strap - a glaring omission, by any measure.

It took me a good five months after she died for me to realize that I had even given her a Sports Strap. Why did I do it? Was it specifically so that I could avoid the overplayed Scooby-Doo "Oh no, my glasses!" trope? Was it so that I could give Lili something visually remarkable, something that would make her generally safe and reasonable appearance a little more notable? Or was it specifically so I forget, like a paper town on the map I had charted out in my own head, forgotten in the mess of my own amateur cartography, a repressed reminder of my own vapid meandering so well hidden that even I, its creator, would eventually pack a bunch of food and clothes into the back of a green 1982 Ford Escort and set my GPS to the city of Sports Strap, Arizona, hoping to find a place to start a new life?

More importantly, why didn't anyone else point it out to me? Was it really so forgettable of a character detail that it escaped the minds of two different artists, a good 15+ thread partners, and anyone else who happened to read her along the way?

Guh.

Conclusion:
I loved my time writing in V6. I have no idea how most of these changes, if they were what took place, would affect how Lili Williams and Arthur Bernstein's stories played out. The one thing I know for sure, though, is that the choices I did make - consciously or by mistake - led to some of the most fun I've had as a writer, both in the SOTF universe and as a writer in general. I highlight these not out of regret - well, mostly - but because they were good food for thought.

I hope you had as much fun reading my kids as I did writing them.

-CBP

tl;dr No you can't have Lili for SC3 I have unfinished business on this bitch of an Earth.
~~~~~ Sadly CBP looked at a SOTF character. It was so sad... such a sad character... like him... he only waned a normal life... was that too much to ask? was it?

NOW: V7

SOON: V7

DEAD: V6

MAYBE: V?

Espi
Member Avatar
Death By Truth
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
A few more!

Blair kills Caedyn: This had been in discussion between me and Paige for a long time, like pre-island time. It ended up going to Alba/Fiyori, though, which was a good scene but made Blair's kill on Matt way more awkward since I felt obligated to reference it quickly and that scene was a bad time for it.

Blair actually dies of pneumonia: Not much, I'd toyed with Blair becoming sick and dying, which shows most midgame where she feels worse than usual. She gets better and it never really ends up as big a deal. I like what happened better.

Alice gets Nicole Husher'd: Basically Alice would be hiding from a killer stalking her and suddenly get ripped from her safe place and murdered. Just a real brutal image I had. Did not play out, but again I like what happened in the end.
V5: Cut Short

V6: Broken Down

V7: Unprepared

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply