Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Youngest Was The Most Loved
Topic Started: Mar 21 2011, 07:04 PM (2,091 Views)
Hollyquin
Member Avatar
A friendly clown welcomes you to LOCAH. It seems he would like to be your guide.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
[[Hayley Kelly continued from The Guilty Ones]]

"Wait...up..." Hayley moaned weakly, dragging her bare feet through sand that was getting hotter by the second. This was so freaking out of character for her, dragging her ass up and after the person she'd slept with the night before- usually she was heading off in the opposite direction. But of course, these were extenuating and possibly life-threatening circumstances. Sure, Ema had a gun, and sure, Ema could probably take care of herself, and sure, Ema was probably going off to be alone so she could, just maybe, be alone. But Hayley wasn't taking chances anymore. Besides, I swear to god Ema has a fucking raygun, god knows if that thing can even do shit...

Of course, the real question here was how the fuck Ema was up and walking in the first place. Hayley's brain felt like something was eating it from the inside out, and she was having a hard time putting one foot in front of the other. Not that she was usually the cuddling type, but if she could drag Ema back to their makeshift bed type thing and sleep for a bit longer- well, that would be just dandy. But Ema was quite satisfied to walk way-too-fucking-fast in a direction that was decidedly not conducive to sleeping, and here Hayley was running after her in a t-shirt and underwear.

That bit's pretty in character, actually.

Ah, well. One hangover cure she actually had available to her- inhale. Exhale. Nicotine cures all ailments. Except, like, lung cancer.

She considered calling out, but decided against it- if Ema really wanted to be alone, she'd probably resent Hayley for following, and last thing she wanted right now was a confrontation. She could barely think, let alone argue in an intelligent/non-retarded fashion. If trouble came to find them (and it was so fucking good at doing that!) she could pop out of the damn woodwork and shoot at it. But for the moment...

For the moment, everything was okay, in that bizarre way where really nothing was.
Edited by Hollyquin, Mar 29 2011, 12:33 AM.
being meguca is suffering

[V5] ALIVE:
[x] Aidan Flynn [B???] // Passing slowly though the vector, damp with fog, the bog that grows the former business sector...
[x] Chitose Saionji [G???] // 公園に千歳は本を読む!

[V5] CONCEPTS:
Winston Evans aced the last English test and would like to point out how gorgeous your shoes are.

Those Who've Known - V4
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Hollyquin
Member Avatar
A friendly clown welcomes you to LOCAH. It seems he would like to be your guide.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
"Oh shit."

Should've seen it coming. Really should've seen it coming. Well, she did see it coming, sort of, but fuck if that had helped her at the end of the day.

She'd seen the figure approaching, yeah. But she was still a distance back from Ema, and said figure was further forward still, so she had no clue who it was, or if they were armed, or any of those important tidbits. Of course, that was why she was here, to prevent shadowy figures from wandering out of the fog/trees/other places shadowy figures wander from and popping a cap in her girlfriend's head. Ex-girlfriend. ...Best friend. Urgh, whatever, fucking semantics. Yeah, whatever, so here was this shadowy figure, and here was Hayley's gun arm, moving up, automatically, seeking its target, but she didn't shoot. Not yet. Cause her target was really frickin' far away and this was a pistol not a fucking sniper rifle and besides, the person- the girl, she realized, looking a bit closer, moving a bit closer- looked scared out of her damn wits. Looked like she might be running from something herself. Not that being scared meant anything at all, here, but it did make her want to look towards the tree line, look for a pursuer, see if someone more dangerous was close at hand.

(Okay, honest, it was mostly the distance thing that stopped her. Oh god, shooting innocent people, because that's so not anything I've done before-WOW. Okay. That's awful. Stop thinking things.)

So she wasn't looking at the shadowy figure when it happened. She was looking at the space where sand became trees, looking for some imaginary gunman that was doing a brilliant job of not appearing, when she heard the gunshot, which did a good job of distracting her from her search. For a moment- a split second, really, though it felt much longer, that distraction was pure panic, suddenly convincing her that shadowy-figure-girl was pulling some wounded gazelle gambit bullshit and Ema'd fallen for it and gotten her ass shot. But no, Ema wasn't stupid, and Ema had a gun-

Oh.

Right.

That made a lot more sense.

Okay. She'd figured it out before she actually turned back to Ema and shadowy-figure-girl, before she got her paralyzed feet to start moving towards them again, definitely before she saw the bloody spot on the other girl's back that proved that she'd been right. Ema seemed as turned to stone, at least for a moment, and Hayley tried to take advantage of that, to actually catch up. This might have worked if Hayley was still so incapable of walking like something other than a retarded toddler. Good deal I didn't try shooting at her. Probably would've shot Ema. Or myself. Or, like, a seagull. Ema was walking again before Hayley could get to her, but she was close enough to witness.

God, it was creepy how you could get used to gunshots. That shouldn't be possible, but it was becoming easier every fucking day. Blood too. Bone...brain? Eugh. Okay, that's still gross. Less gross if she didn't get any closer. She recognized the girl, in death, weirdly enough- from where she didn't know, from a class, or maybe she'd been a friend of Madelyn's or something, but her name was Sapphire. That only stuck to her now because she remembered thinking that's a stupid fucking name. What kind of parent names their kid Sapphire? Unless, like, you have a family tradition of strippers. Whatever. That was her name, and now she was dead, and that fact seemed to be affecting Ema way more than it was affecting her.

"I killed her?"

She was talking to herself. She was talking to herself and she obviously hadn't even noticed that Hayley was there and she would've been a horrible bitch for answering particularly given that her reflex reaction was to say something in the realm of "Er, yeah." Or maybe some crack about how the raygun did apparently shoot bullets. Somehow I think she's noticed.

Hayley barely remembered what it was like. Honestly, it'd been five days, five days of hell, five days of displaced heads and bullet wounds and screaming and loss and love, and her first kill on day two felt like an eternity ago. Which was good. She wanted to forget about that, that panicked, pathetic moment that'd turned her friends against her, if only for a moment. Every kill got easier...that was a horrifying thought, every kill got easier, but it did, it really, honestly did, and that first one still stuck with her the way that traumatic experiences often do. And that was what Ema was going through right now, and now she had to figure out what to say to make it easier.

No pressure, girly.

She took a few more tentative steps forward. Ema's words had a sobering effect, pushing the pain to the back of her mind. Time to prioritize. She could deal with the hangover later. And oh, would she deal with it later.

"Er...Ema..."

Her words trailed off into nothing, because her mind had suddenly failed her in the realm of "things to say". What was there to say, though? What would help?

What would've helped me...?

[V5] ALIVE:
[x] Aidan Flynn [B???] // Passing slowly though the vector, damp with fog, the bog that grows the former business sector...

[V5] CONCEPTS:
Winston Evans aced the last English test and would like to point out how gorgeous your shoes are.

Those Who've Known - V4

Hollyquin
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
What...what am I supposed to do...?

Hayley was not particularly sensitive. In fact, Hayley was kind of a bitch. There were a lot of probable reasons for that, like her having been friends with dudes for most of her life, and her best friend espousing a lifetime philosophy of "feelings are for losers" (like that ever worked out for him), and her having long ago sent as many emotions as she could into some repressed corner of her brain after that whole suicide-attempt thing, way back when. Point was Hayley was not good at consolation, particularly consolation for recently-committed murder. Not that that came up often, even here, given that I've been the one killing everything. Nice one.

What did I do? Back with what's-his-face, that metalhead kid...Steve, right, when I killed h- shit, Hayley, don't be too torn up thinking about it now. Right, when that shit happened, what did I do? I...I passed out. Like a boss. Right, but that was like, day two, who could blame me for losing my shit? It's been a week now, Ema's seen a lot of shit, she has to have, being with me this whole time...Back then, I mean, I hadn't seen much yet, just-

Urgh. She felt sick for a moment. Funny how of all the corpses she'd seen, the only one that really stuck was the first. Of course the first one was also easily the worst, a fucking slab of shredded meat eviscerated by who-fucking-knows not Steve, whatever I thought at the time. Whatever, mental image delete button, brain bleach, anyway, right, I passed out. I passed out and I woke up...and I made excuses. Went into denial. All the good stuff. I mean...I mean, I had to, it was day two, no one knew the score yet. I figured they'd HATE me. I'll be amazed if Alex ever forgives me, really, boy's too good for his own good...but Ema doesn't have to worry, she's got me and I'm not gonna bitch her out, that would be the highest form of hypocrisy, even for me. She...she'll be okay, yeah? I mean...I mean, I was okay. I got okay. I'm better. I'm...fine.

Define fine.

Shut up, you.

Yeah...yeah, Ema would be fine, totally fine, so why was she smiling like that, like there was something broken behind it? Hayley didn't like it, it was not okay, it made her want to hug Ema and tell her everything was alright and maybe cry a little. But Hayley wasn't that kind of girl, and really, neither was Ema, and it didn't seem like there'd be anything to do. This wasn't in the plan, not at all, Ema wasn't supposed to kill anyone cause she wasn't supposed to have to cause Hayley was supposed to be the moral sacrifice. Hayley was supposed to kill people. That was her job, practically, and she'd failed, again. Failed to protect Kyle's body, failed to protect Ema's soul, or whatever.

But she wasn't gonna think about it.

She wasn't gonna think about it.

This BSOD bullshit really had to end eventually. She was a pathetic fucking failure of a human, if she admitted that enough times would it stop bothering her? If she remembered that, would she feel better? She'd beaten herself over the whole Kyle thing, the whole letting her ex?boyfriend die due to her incompetence thing, and yeah, that was shitty. Yeah, she was stupid. Yeah it was gonna haunt her for the few days she had remaining in her way-too-short life but what the fuck was she supposed to do? She wasn't a goddamn necromancer and she didn't have a goddamn TARDIS and she couldn't fix this. Couldn't put Kyle together again. Couldn't fix Ema, either, Ema'd have to fix herself, just like she fixed herself, because she had fixed herself. Kyle had witnessed, but he couldn't do a damn thing but kiss her and okay, maybe that helped a little, but...

Something to keep in mind, though.

But you couldn't solve all your problems with kisses, not here, anyway, that was more of a Bayview-party method of problem solving and fuck if she wouldn't rather be at one of those but that wasn't a choice, was it?

She took a few steps forwards instead, flicking her long-dead cigarette away, transferring her dear Vera to her left hand, reaching out with her right, doing what she could.

"Come on, yeah? We shouldn't be here."

I need sensitivity training.

"I...fuck, Ema, I'm sorry, but...I know it feels like shit. It gets...better."

That's real reassuring, girly. Not psychopathic in the least.

SHUT UP.

[V5] ALIVE:

[V5] CONCEPTS:

Those Who've Known - V4

Hollyquin
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
"So what do we do now? I... I don't really want to be here."

Yeah, that was the funny thing about dead bodies, they made most places much less fun to be. Like, she could be in the coolest place in the fucking universe- Disney World, lets go with Disney World, it was so obvious but Hayley didn't give a shit, Disney World was awesome- and if you saw a dead body, well, you were gonna get the fuck outta there at top speed. Though it'd be extra creepy, seeing a dead body at Disney World. On Survival of the Fittest at least you kind of had to expect it, dead bodies everywhere and shit, but at Disney World you'd be like...did Mickey flip a shit on someone? And then your childhood would be ruined forever, and you'd have to go to therapy and shit, crying about how you saw Donald Duck with a bloody fucking-

Hayley. Hayley. Shut the fuck up.

Focus back on Ema, her voice monotone. Urgh. This was not okay, this was not something Hayley approved of, this needed to stop, immediately. There was something broken in Ema right now, something that may or may not have time to be fixed before they were both dead. How long had it taken her? Not long, but she was a horrible person, she was beginning to learn, the kind of person who could be okay after something like this, not that anything but trauma and need was holding her together right now. Maybe Ema wasn't that kind of person. Maybe Ema would be in shock for the rest of the game, and honestly, if it was anyone else, Hayley wasn't sure she'd have been able to handle that. She didn't want to spend the rest of her life with a PTSD case.

But there came that 'love' word again.

"We should go get our stuff. I...should probably get some clothes on."

Survival of the Fittest was having this weird effect on Hayley's ability to keep a pair of pants on. Not that she was really good at that in the best of times, but this was getting kind of ridiculous.

"And then we'll go...somewhere. Anywhere. Find Maddy and Alex and whoever else, yeah? Just..."

She trailed off, because suddenly she was lacking in things to say. There wasn't really a plan, how could there be a plan? She had no idea where anyone was or even if they were alive; what were they supposed to do? Hayley had really never hated not having a cell phone so much as she did here. It was so hard, waiting for the morning announcements to know whether the people she cared about were alive or dead, let alone where they were. They'd have to just go back to wandering aimlessly.

And stop...stop killing people. Stop picking off random faces in the crowd. I can handle it, somehow, but Ema...I want to protect her, not traumatize her. Unless...unless I have to, no more. Just cause I can, doesn't mean I have to, yeah?

What did I say about making promises you can't keep?

Hayley ignored that. Instead, she took Ema's hand, and led her away from this place. Back to their things, stopping only for Hayley to pull her damn skirt and shoes back on, to pack up their things, to leave this godforsaken beach behind. Too much had happened here, now and then, and honestly she'd be quite happy to never see another fucking ocean.

How many times do I have to say it? I fucking HATE the beach.

[[Hayley Kelly continued in Everyday is like Sunday]]

[V5] ALIVE:

[V5] CONCEPTS:

Those Who've Known - V4

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Beach: East · Next Topic »
Add Reply