Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
In Honesty, We Didn't Plan This Far; Open, just let us all get in first.
Topic Started: Mar 13 2011, 04:38 PM (2,324 Views)
xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
((Helen Wilson continued from ---,,-,-, somethingorother))

It had been pandemonium. Minutes after they had succeeded shapes had come out the the mist and they had been attacked, seemingly without provocation, though Roland hadn't seemed all that surprised by their presence. Still, to give him credit, he had distracted them all enough to give Helen and Dave time to heave Leila out of there. And from then they had moved as fast as they could, Dave taking the brunt of the work.

Still, she was relieved when he suggested a break.

"Fortunately for you," Helen said, dropping her bag obviously on the floor. "I managed to pick mine up." Looking around, she selected a flattish looking tree stump and perched herself upon it, taking a moment to survey her surroundings. This was the furthest north she had come on this island so far, and by the looks of it, she hadn't been missing out on much. She'd left Isabel's first aid kit back in the swamp, seeing as that was the one that had been thrown at her initially, but hers was still in good condition. She got it out and opened it, feeling like a doctor already. It's your only chance to be one... No! Shut up brain! Helen stood up and walked over to where Dave had set Leila down, looking critically at her patient. She was actually looking marginally better, either that, or Helen was just getting more used to it. There was only so much she could do about setting a broken elbow.

This was the point in the first aid books where they all said 'put affected arm in a sling and await medical attention'. Which was fine if some old lady fell over at the Mall, but here, she was the extent of medical attention as far as their group was concerned. And, well, she knew a lot less than she was lettting on. Helen chewed her lip nervously, looking at Leila and trying to read her face, before standing up, turning round, and walking a short way off, surveying their surroundings. They weren't too badly exposed here, if they all sat down they might manage to disguise themselves among the trees, Helen knew that her dull brown hair at least was pretty similar to that of the mutilated trunks. This place was creepy.

Turning back to face the others, she tried to keep the anxious expression off her face as she sat back down on her original stump. She looked briefly at Leila, then looked away, unnerved by the responsibility that had befell her, but not wanting anyone else to know how she felt. She needed to create a persona of being in control, partly so that she would continue to have a sort of protected status in the group as the one who might save their lives, and that in turn might help her to stay alive longer. By day seven, her own self centered thoughts were barely even causing her any disgust any more. Secondly, she looked at Dave without a bag, and her thoughts turned to food. She still had a fair bit, it had always been a characteristic of hers to not eat when stressed, and the last days had certainly been stressful. But she didn't have enough to feed both of them, and Dave was a boy, he presumably ate a lot.

Don't worry about that yet. You can... pick berries... or something...

"How is everyone else feeling?" Helen said, looking around the group, conveying a persona of calm that surprised even herself.
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

shiny shiny V5 concepts (now with clickies)
Phoebe Cho - I shall be playing Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor. Wizard!
Harry Hanley - I've got Hershey's at half price today! Get 'em quick before I have rehearsal!
Lor Van Diepen - I'm gonna make a video later. About running. Does that sum me up enough?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
Helen shrugged at Dave's sarcastic response, lacking the energy to feel offended, and accepting that she'd probably had said something similar if the roles were reversed. She couldn't help but whisper under her breath, out of earshot of Dave and Kitty at the very least, "at least we're still alive..." When she was younger, Helen would sometimes lie at night, staring at her ceiling, the same thought running through her mind that would gain momentumm every time she thought it until she was able to distract herself from it. I am a real, living, breathing person. I can make decisions. I'm alive! A real, breathing person. I mave a mind, it is thinking this. If I want to raise my right hand and wave it about in the air, I can. Because I am a real, living, breathing person, and I have control over her body. The waving her arms about in the air thing had sometimes confused her sister when they were younger and still shared a bedroom. But the point was, that Helen had never failed to appreciate the miraculousness that was being alive.

What are the odds of me existing? she would often think to herself. The answer was probably unimaginably small, no matter what parameters she went by. The right sperm, the right egg. The right month. The same office offering both her parents a job back in the eighties. Her parents both being born from the union of the right sperm and the right egg of the two sets of grandparents. Then, once she'd gone through all her ancestors and back to the single celled organisms they all came from, what were the odds of Earth existing the right distance away from a docile sun for water to form. The odds of the bg bang happening in the way it did so that all the bits went to the right places.

And as she sat and watched Kitty and Dave argue about Roland and his relative contributions to the group, she found that she simply couldn't be bothered. She hadn't gotten the chance to get to know Roland well, didn't feel like she had the authority to comment unless specifically asked, and in fact, felt like having a nap, right here on her tree stump. Suddenly, acutely, she became aware of the collar nestled around her neck, could feel her carotid pulse quicken against it. Was there someone watching her now, watching her pulse get fast as she stared at the ground. For all they knew she might have just figured out a way to escape. Actually she had just had a development on those years of idle thought.

What are the odds of me not existing? Well I'm here, so it must be zero. So the odds of me existing are a resounding, absolute, one. I am supposed to be here. Helen frowned at that thought, it was getting a bit too close to admitting that Genesis was true; that God created the world in seven days for her atheist leaning agnostic mind to accept. Instead she glanced up to look at the others, worrying where Winnie might have gotten to.

"This is all there is," Helen said dully in response to Kitty, not quite getting the correct understanding of her question, interpreting it more as a philosophical query. "At least three of us, probably four, are going to die in the next few days, and after that there is nothing. These are our last fucking days on Earth, and I don't even have the energy to enjoy them. All the things I never did..." Helen trailed off, looking at the floor again, feeling shamed by her sudden outburst and the fact that the only thing that popped into her mind was the fact that she'd never had sex. Stealing a glance at Dave, that thought of asking him flitted into her mind like a disease she couldn't control, and she immediately suppressed it with a blush. Dying a virgin, how very angelic...
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

Phoebe Cho - I shall be playing Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor. Wizard!
Harry Hanley - I've got Hershey's at half price today! Get 'em quick before I have rehearsal!
Lor Van Diepen - I'm gonna make a video later. About running. Does that sum me up enough?

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
Dave left. Then Kitty left. When Kitty left, Helen got up and started to follow her, taking two steps before guilt took over, and she looked back at Leila. She couldn't leave her, not after leaving Liz. Somewhere inside her brain, she suspected that they wouldn't be coming back. People didn't come back in this came. They went away, and they died, and every goodbye was actually a goodbye. There was no offhand "see you tomorrow" the way they used to at school.

How had she said goodbye to her Mom when they'd set off on the trip? Helen could barely remember, it had been an offhand farewell, any hug or any "I love you's" would make her cry, even if it was just a week. She had no idea how she was going to move to California come Fall. How could she possibly be away from them for so long? Suddenly, acutely, she became aware that she was never going to see her Mom again. Never. Never feel those arms that were so familiar, the ones she used to stroke when she was younger and was unable to sleep, and even now, at eighteen, when she got ill there was nothing quite so comforting as clinging on to her mother's forearm, pressing her cheek against it until she fell asleep, like she was a baby again. Alone, with only the semi-conscious Leila for company, she sat on the floor, forehead resting on an arm propped on her bent knees. Her other hand rubbed her stomach gently. And below her, a couple of shoots of grass were watered with the first tears she had allowed herself to spill.

This was what she had been afraid of, getting time to think. Back in the Ranger station, even though there was slince, there was betting on Isabel and Dave's noughts and crosses games, there was riding on the exercise bike and reading her book. Things to keep busy. But she'd finished her book and all of a sudden she was there, alone with her thoughts. And thinking was a dangerous acticity right now, it made her think of home, and her Mom, her Dad and her sister. The apple tree they spent their entire childhood trying to climb, and Helen being angry when Jenna succeeded first. The little wooden house in the garden that was full of spiders, but had names written all over the walls in chalk. Every time a friend visited the house when they were younger, and it was warm enough to play out, they would write their name inside the little wooden house. It was a chronicle of their childhood, and accidental guest book, a memory. She didn't even know half those kids now, they went to different schools, moved away, some were still in her grade now but they didn't even smile when they passed in the corridors.

Leila stirred, and Helen jumped as the girl made the briefest second of eye contact, and smiled. Helen wiped tears away from under her eyes furiously with her forearm, sniffing and trying to shine her torch into the girl's eyes. That was the sort of thing they did in TV shows, she was never quite sure why. Something about the pupils reacting, them not reacting was a sign of brain damage. Helen didn't know what she would do if they didn't; she could barely fix an arm, let alone a brain injury.

Her abdomen twinged, and Helen winced. That had been happening, on and off, since just after Kitty left. Hunger pains. Or anxiety. Or emotional pain. Nothing serious. She had much bigger things to think about than a bit of an ache in the middle of her abdomen. Like not dying, and trying to stop Leila dying as well. Trying to make it home without having to kill anyone. That message, with the trumpet, it wasn't enough. They needed to do it another way as well.

"Hey," she said softly, putting a hand on Leila's shoulder and hoping her tired eyes didn't look too conspicuous as she peered into the girl's face. Diagnostics 101: face's reveal a lot. Eyes for jaundice, mouth for cyanosis. As do hands. All sorts of things show up on the hands. "How're you doing?" That question might have provoked scorn from Dave and Kitty, and Helen bit her lip anxiously, feeling that any response would be a good thing.

The pain was getting worse.
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
Gently stroking her abdomen, Helen nodded along to what Leila was saying, playing along to her role as nurse. In reality, she had very little idea what she was doing. This was all alien to her, it was supposed to be years and years before she was looking after patients of her own. She glanced up, the sky was rapidly darkening.

"I assure you, I'm completely real," Helen said, fighting off her brain as it tried to go down the philosophical route. She was tempted to say but if I was a dream I'd say that anyway, deciding that amusing as it would be, confusing your already slightly confused patients was looked down upon. Helen looked at the arm, which appeared to be causing her some pain, and jumped at the chance of producing pills. "Ooh, yes!" Helen said, a little excitedly, scrambling painfully to her feet and managed to walk, doubled over, to her bag which she rifled through enthusiastically. Eventually she produced a packet of Tylenol and a bottle of water, which she brought back over to Leila. She popped two pills out and uncapped the bottle of water, handing them to the girl to manouvre how she preferred.

"I think we should sleep for a bit. You need to rest, and I think I ate some dirt or something as my stomach is playing up," she tried to rationalise her own pain, which was nothing like any acid she'd ever experienced. Helen made herself a rudimentary bed; she was getting very good at sleeping on the floor, or just not sleeping at all. She'd barely slept since they had left the Ranger station two days (was that it? She was starting to lose track) previously.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~T~I~M~E~~~S~K~I~P~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The announcement woke her up. Helen moaned as she stirred from the worst nights sleep she had experienced in her life. It had taken her hours to drop off, as her abdomen throbbed and the pain oh so slowly started to localise to what she was fairly sure was called the right iliac fossa. That was bad. Very, very bad. Her heart began to thud painfully, as the announcement washed over her.

But then, names. Specifically, in an inconspicuous part towards the end of the list, Dave's name.

"David Morrison just toppled over dead. Reviewing the footage, it seems he hadn't eaten in a while, so we'll put this down to dehydration. Or AIDS."

"No, no, nononono," Helen said, sitting up. That was Dave dead. Winnie and Roland had died the previous day (she had been sitting here longer than she realised). Of all of them that had been there, all of them that knew what they had done, they were dropping like flies. There had been eight of them; herself, Isabel, Dave, Winnie, Charlie, Feo, Roland and Kitty. Half of them had died. "No, Dave, I had food. We had enough for a couple of days. Stupid, stupid, stupid," Helen said, slowly rocking herself. Gently, she closed her eyes, and then the pain came back. For a moment, it had been dulled by the shock of Dave's death.

She hoped that the others were still doing okay. They had to be, right? If you weren't dead, then you were alive. If you were alive, you were either healthy or sick. If you were healthy, there was no need to worry. If you were sick, it could be one of two things. It could be serious or not serious. If not serious, then there was no need to worry. If serious, you were either dead or alive. If alive, there was no need to worry. If you were dead, you couldn't worry.

And by this theory, a soldier never worries.

But... I'm not a soldier! I'm a wannabe pre-med student who more likely than not has developed appendicitis on an island where, as far as she is aware, she is the most highly trained person. Or in the top few, at least. Treatment for appendicitis; surgery. I am going to have to perform my first every surgery. On myself. On an island where everyone wants to kill me.

Where is the only place to do surgery? A hospital.
Helen checked her map, her finger tracing from where she estimated they were to the infirmary. It really wasn't all that far at all. We need to go to the infirmary.

Looking over at Leila, she appeared to be better after her night's sleep. Or, perhaps, that was just her mind wanting to believe that. Standing up in a hurried gesture, Helen clutched at her belly and let out a moan before she had time to try and supress it. Squeezing her eyes shut until the moment passed, she started to collect together her belongings; the book that she had started to reread, her low battery iPod (she had been wearing the headphones and trying to imagine the sings, it wasn't very effective).

"We have to go," Helen said abruptly, folding the jumper she had been using as a pillow and putting it neatly into her bag. She scrunched her eyes against the morning light, scrutinising Leila. "I need to go to the infirmary, get something for this stomach bug," why can't you say it out loud? She stood up and with a sudden, overwhelminf rush of pain, she winced and squeezed her eyes closed, waiting for the wave to pass. Once it had, she turned towards Leila, and nodded, before starting off slowly, breaking into a run before the first ten metres were out.

((Helen Wilson continued in Surgical Interventions))
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
« Previous Topic · The Felled Forest: North · Next Topic »
Add Reply