Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly.; OPEN after Bobby and Rachel, Day 7, 3pm
Topic Started: Mar 7 2011, 07:15 PM (3,244 Views)
xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
((Neill Robertson continued from Don't Fear The Reaper))

After the Inland Woods were downgraded from Danger Zone to Normal Zone, they decided to head there. After all, it was unlikely that there would be too many other people there, and it was a large area so if there were any, hopefully, they wouldn't run into them. Thus it was perfect for their plan of staying out of everyone else's way and thus dying later rather than sooner. The downside was that they were even less likely to find Ray if they stayed away from people. Neill felt edgy as they paused by a stream to fill up their water bottles. This was less exposed than the cliff had been, but at the same time, people could still be hiding in the trees. He looked up, there weren't any as far as he could see.

Perhaps that was the way to do it? Build a treehouse and bomb people from above? They didn't have any bombs, but heavy things would work just the same without the risk of blowing up their treehouse too. Neill took a swig from his water bottle, using the moment to regard his friend and his potential friend with curiousity, wondering what life in a treehouse with them would be like. They would probably have to have Mass on a Sunday, which Neill wasn't sure he would be able to handle as a hard and fast agnostic with atheist tendencies. He was pretty sure that the only reason he was still alive was because religion hadn't come up as a topic of conversation yet. Rachel was the crazy ass Catholic, right?

The woods were suspiciously peaceful. He knew some shit must have gone down for it to be declared a danger zone two days in a row. Looking around, it looked pristine, they must have been in to clear it up, fix the cameras that that Liz kid had apparently been smashing. That was a strange thought. Somewhere on the island there was a helicopter. They had seen it fly overhead once, heading for the mountain, the roar had stilled them for a moment, in a few short days that mechanical sound had already become something alien and exciting. They could have followed it if it hadn't been so damn fast, and if any of them had even the faintest idea how to fly a helicopter and get in it, get it going, and get it out of range before their collars were all simultaneously exploded. Add to that a lack of knowledge of where they were, and unless either of the others had a better sense of direction, he suspected they would probably end up at the South Pole just as they ran out of fuel.

Stealing the helicopter wasn't an option.

Neill sighed and threw a pebble into the water. It skipped once, to his surprise, and he immediately tried to mimic the same action to no avail. He laughed once, taking another drink of water.

"So," he said, looking at their surroundings for what must have been the billionth time. He noticed a tin can on the ground just slightly covered by a rock, and stood up slightly to reach forward and grab it. It was slightly squashed and devoid of a label, lid or any contents, but otherwise healthy looking. That was the sort of thing that might come in useful... at some point... for something. "What do you think happened here?"
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

shiny shiny V5 concepts (now with clickies)
Phoebe Cho - I shall be playing Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor. Wizard!
Harry Hanley - I've got Hershey's at half price today! Get 'em quick before I have rehearsal!
Lor Van Diepen - I'm gonna make a video later. About running. Does that sum me up enough?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
These guys sucked at speculating. Clearly, they needed more practice. Bobby waved off the idea with hopes of peace, which Neill doubted very much. If there had been nice things happening, they wouldn't have closed the whole area off for two days. And Rachel also waved off the idea by saying that it didn't matter. Which was true, admittedly, but many things in the world didn't actually matter and people talked about them anyway. Speculating about what was going to happen on LOST didn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but it was something to talk about. And in the middle of some lonely woods where murderers might be hiding in the trees, they all needed a distraction.

Looking at Rachel as she stared contemplatively into the water, Neill shook himself, trying to stop himself getting distracted. They had been wandering aimlessly for far too long, they needed to come up with a plan, they needed to do something. So far, as far as he knew, nobody had successfully escaped, nobody had made contact with the outside world, nobody had come up with that one brilliant plan. So it looked like it was all down to him. Neill Robertson was going to help him and Bobby and Ray, and maybe Rachel if she stopped acting so weird, get off the island.

All he needed now was a plan. Which he didn't have. He joined Rachel in staring at the water for a couple of seconds, then looked up, and clapped his hands together forcefully.

"Right!" he said with an authoritarian air. "This has gone on long enough. We need to start doing something," Neill indicated the general direction he thought the sea might be in, which was a cheap shot as on an island they were surrounded by sea. Nearest sea. "I have decided that we are going to escape." He paused for dramatic effect. The pause continued. Neill glanced down into his lap for a second before looking up at the others again. "I did think we might try and steal the helicopter, but it's miles away now so I don't think we're going to catch it." Plus, we'd get exploded before we were five feet in the air. I don't want Sam to see me explode. Still, appearing that you might have known how to fly it is a good move in developing island cred. He paused again.

"Anyone else got anything?" he admitted sheepishly.
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

Phoebe Cho - I shall be playing Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor. Wizard!
Harry Hanley - I've got Hershey's at half price today! Get 'em quick before I have rehearsal!
Lor Van Diepen - I'm gonna make a video later. About running. Does that sum me up enough?

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
Receiving the note from Bobby, Neill read it surreptitiously, enjoying the fact that for the first time in days something wasn't going to be broadcast to the world. He was going to have a secret, be one of only three people in the world who knew something: what was written on that little bit of paper. The thought that Rachel was conveying had crossed his mind, from what he'd learned from watching previous series was that all the good ideas had to be thought up alone. Perhaps that was why people didn't escape, human's worked best when they worked together a lot of the time, and that had effectively been taken away from them.

He pulled a pen from his pocket and scribbled a hasty addendum to Rachel's note, which he then passed back to her. This was turning into one of those games he's always seen girls playing in middle school, taking it in turns to write a little bit of the story with limited information as to what had gone before. As far as he remembered, it had always taken them a long time, produced shrieks of laughter, and from the couple of times he'd managed to snatch a copy, had been of intensely poor quality. Still, that was an idea. This game was all about hiding behind a smokescreen, and hoping that smokescreen was sufficiently opaque.

It's all about appearances! Pass to Bobby. was what he'd added to Rachel's note.

"I think we should play a game," Neill said after a pause. He rifled around in his duffel and produced a letter size notepad of his own, tearing off a single sheet. Hopefully his background as a writer would help with their smokescreen here. "You might have played it before. I write a bit of a story, then fold the page down so that only the last sentence is visible, then you have to continue the story." Neill tapped the end of his pen against his lip, thinking of how best to word it.

In the middle of the vineyard there was a gazebo that Claudette used to visit thrice monthly, when the sun was almost set and those last few rays cast a reddish glow over the white painted wood. There she would spend the only minutes she could truly alone. Write some crap and then in the last sentence write what you actually want to say and write small so that the cameras can't pick up what we're writing.

He passed the note to Bobby, unable to keep a bit of a smile off his face.
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
Neill took the paper back from Rachel, quickly scanning what the other two had written. Even if the others weren't going to write a story, he felt like he would keep it going. It would give the whole thing a bit of context. Also, if they were to lose sight of it - the bit of paper - there was a chance that someone would pick it up and only see his ramblings and discard it before they read the rest of it; the important stuff. Well, the stuff that might become important, if they could actually think of something. Neill reached into his pack and retrieved a cigarette and lit it with the lighter that he was still faintly surprised had made it to the idland. Either they hadn't noticed it or they hadn't thought it would be a problem. For once in his life, Neill found himself not really caring about the small details. Instead he took a drag from his second cigarette of the trip and stared out at the trees. More important was what he might be able to do with the lighter that he had. Burn the forest down?

He began to write as he thought.

Someone was walking up the path towards her. Claudette turned sharply, her eyes guarded until she saw the dog collar that rested at his neck. The dog collar of the vicar rang a little too close to their own collars at that point, and Neill paused, taking another drag from the cigarette that hung loosely from his left hand as he wrote with his right. Her face softened and she ran down the two steps that elevated the gazebo from the ground. The vicar smiled at her as she stopped a few steps away from him. Two children, Elise and Henri from the village appeared suddenly, as though from nowhere. They didn't seem to notice the adults as they tore between them, disappearing moments later into the vines, their shouts and a fleeting memory the only indicators of their existance. I think that we should-

Pausing, another drag. He was going to study linguistics at Cornell (was being the operative word), languages were his thing. This would be a really useful time to make up a language. Neill had no idea how he was going to acheive that; he would need to do three very difficult things. The first was coming up with the imaginary language. That was enough of a reason not to bother in itself. But this was a clumsy way of doing things. The second was communicating the language to Bobby and Rachel. The third was communicating the language to Bobby and Rachel without the language at the same time becoming apparent to Danya and company. That was the hardest of the three.

Neill suspected that idea wouldn't go down well until he'd figured out the details, so kept it to himself. Instead he wrote down something else.

I think that we should fake our own deaths. After writing it he paused. Years ago he'd read the book of Battle Royale on holiday, along with fourteen other books in the same week. He was now wishing he'd paid more attention to it, but he was sure that there was something in there about a couple of themm faking their own deaths. Do the collars of dead people work? We should find some bodies and try to make their collars explode, without appearing too suspicious. Then, we can fake our deaths... somehow. And then, once our collars don't work, we can try to escape.

There were more holes in the plan than Neill cared to think about. The first thing was how to play dead; the collars measured their pulses and all sorts and they would have to fool it somehow, without being too obvious. The next was that once they were sufficiently 'dead' they would have to then somehow get up and escape, without appearing to have risen from the dead. And then escape. Also it was possible that even if the collars were deactivated upon death, they could just get reactivated when needed once they realised they were still alive.

He started a new paragraph.

Well, it's a thought. Any better ideas? Also I'm not doing too badly for food, but are there any animals on the island? We could hunt. Or if not, don't eat the red berries.
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
((Inactivity avoidance type post))

Neill nodded at Bobby as he left the group, jumping to the conclusion that he was going to do something biological. Still, it didn't mean he was comfortable being left alone with Rachel, even if it was, as he hoped, only for a few minutes. He smiled warily at the girl, tapping his pen against his chin.
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
Neill took the note eagerly back from Rachel, becoming more and more enthusiastic as everyone else became less so. He was already seeing the problems with his plan, the main one being that the collars regulated their pulse, and also that there were cameras on them all the time, any obvious sabotage would result in them getting blown up. He had no idea how that Liz girl had managed to do hers, whatever it was she had done, without them noticing and stopping her. Although... it had happened here, in these woods. Perhaps there was a weak spot, perhaps they weren't very well manned, he didn't know. But he did know that they probably wouldn't make the same mistake again. No, if they were gonig to do something, they needed to get out of camera view. Or... something needed to happen somewhere else, to distract them. Perhaps an explosion? Or a fire. If he could set fire to these woods, maybe in the few seconds that they were distracted by that, he could run off and disable his and Bobby's and Rachel's collars.

Only, first, he needed to figure out a way to do that.

His mind went back to the playing dead idea. They needed to appear dead but without actually becoming dead, naturally. If they could fit a small piece of metal between their necks and their collars, then maybe, just maybe, that would fool the system enough. But he didn't know how it worked. That was why he needed the bodies to test it on. Then he could figure out what they were going to do next.

Claudette smiled after the children, and after a pause, the vicar did too. Tension mounted between them, until, finally, he took a couple of steps forward and stroked her cheek gently with one finger. Brushing his hand away, she shook her head. Dead people don't explode when new danger zones are announced, do they? It was something that had been bothering him. One of the main influences behind his vague idea. It's like once we're dead the collars are inactivated. I don't know if it's automatic, or if they do it themselves, what I want to know is if they're permanently inactivated, or if they can still explode. Also, what have you got against my story? He wasn't sure why he was reiterating his plan to her, even though she'd essentially agreed to it.

As he was finishing, Rachel spoke. Neill had barely been aware of time passing, but now that she mentioned it, he'd been thinking for a while, and it took him a minute or two to write everything he needed to down. Tapping the pen against his chin nervously, Neill squinted into the woods in the direction Bobby had left, as though he might suddenly jump out flamboyantly.

"I- I don't know," Neill said, failing entirely to hide the anxiiousness from his voice. He'd now lost both the people he'd started out with, Ray could be anywhere by now and the only thing that was keeping him going from that incident was that he still had Bobby. Except he didn't, he had Bobby's ex-girlfriend (sort of) whom he was fairly conviced was a little bit crazy. Also, she'd killed someone, and didn't appear to show much remorse for it, another thing that scared Neill somewhat. He scribbled another couple of sentences down. "You'll like this bit," he said, grinning, trying to keep up his act for the cameras.

The key is in the simplicity. We're all trying to avoid death, so who would want to fake it? And that sounds like a good way to head, once Bobby comes back! He passed the note back to Rachel, folding it down securely.
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
Neill pouted at her insult of his story and plan, not entirely sure which one she was referring to. If a five year old could write a story as good as that, Neill wanted to meet that kid, they would be a future Shakespeare or Austen or Rowling. Taking the unfolded paper back, he watched the progression of their plan from "we need a plan" to something that he, at least, was actually going to do. And yes, it probably wouldn't work, and was only the beginnings at best, but it was something. Reading through the three different handwritings, the three different trains of thought that weaved themselves in between his French vineyard, he noted that most of the ideas had been his, Bobby and Rachel only critiquing them, and not even adding to his story.

It was most frustrating.

Still, he couldn't help but join in Rachel's concerns as to Bobby's whereabouts. It had been a good few minutes now since the boy had vanished into the woodland, and there was no sign of him returning. There was literally no sign of him at all. In a normal forest, he wouldn't have been too concerned, but this was the forest where Liz Polanski had done something to her collar and they whole place had been shut down for days. People died here. Lots of them. Not so many people died in the forests back in Minnesota, as least not in such dense quantities. As Rachel started to collect her things together, Neill followed suit, though he hadn't spread himself out much. The plan he tucked into the back pocket of his jeans, the pen he dropped into the main section of his bag where it immediately disappeared and Neill doubted he would ever see it again. He picked up his bag and also Bobby's, the two weighing him down on either side. He felt like a pack horse as he started to follow Rachel in the direction that she reckoned Bobby had gone in.

"Aah, slow down!" Neill said, trying to pick up his pace as she marched off. He felt decidedly unsteady with the two bags, even if, overall, he was better balanced than usual. He waddled as fast as he could, keeping slightly behind Rachel; he still wasn't entirely sure if he could trust her.

((Neill Robertson continued in Bloodgarden))
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Woods: Inland · Next Topic »
Add Reply