Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
V4 BKA/BDA Voting February 2011
Topic Started: Feb 26 2011, 01:47 AM (3,493 Views)
MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Here's this month's BKA/BDA. If you weren't in by the deadline, or by your extension deadline, you've been disqualified. I'm very sorry, but we've been pretty clear and given a running deadline countdown, so we really can't compromise. If there's a mistake, hit up one of the admins/other staffers, 'cause I'm gone for the next 24 hours, mostly.

This will run through whenever on the 1st the announcement goes up.

Anyone with an extension is getting bumped to next month's contest so that we stay on schedule.

That said, here you go:

Best Kill:
Fiona Sparki for killing Staffan Kronwall
Simon Telamon for killing Tyler Franklin
Liam Brooks for killing Colin Falcone
Felecia Carmichael for killing Sebastian Descartes
Maxwell Lombardi for killing Cassidy Wakemore
Quincy Jones for killing Joshua Krakowski
Charlene Norris for killing Kyle Portman
Rhory Anne Broderick for killing William Davis
Nick LeMonde for killing Mike Jeffries
Kimberly Nguyen for killing Aislyn McCreery
Hayley Kelly for killing Andrew Mitchell
Kris Hartmann for killing Janet Claymont
Maxwell Lombardi for killing Kevin Harding

Best Death:
Lord_Shadow for the death of Alexander Seymour
Anderson for the death of Tyler Franklin
T-Fox for the death of Colin Falcone
Super Llama for the death of Sebastian Descartes
Fioriboy for the death of Joshua Krakowski
Ciel for the death of Johnny McDowell
Serpentis.Deteramot for the death of Kyle Portman
Chib for the death of Logan Reynolds
arscapi for the death of Marion Summers
BetaKnight for the death of Aislyn McCreery
Tythanin for the death of Andrew Mitchell
Dom for the death of Courtney Bradley
Slamexo for the death of Janet Claymont
ET.Requiem for the death of Kevin Harding
Solitair for the death of Cassidy Wakemore
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley
Offline Profile Goto Top

Unregistered

Oh, boy. Here we go.

BKA: Maxwell, for killing Kevin Harding. I'll admit that, when it's done right, I'm a sucker for playing around with the interface and painting the fourth wall, and this was definitely an example of doing it right. When you know the death is coming, it takes a lot to surprise you, and I'll admit to not seeing this coming until it actually happened, so there's also bonus points for that as well.

BDA: T-Fox, for Colin Falcone. It wasn't a big month for deaths, unfortunately, with a lot seeming a bit more rushed than we're used to, but to every rule, there's an exception. The whole twoshot emanated a beautiful sort of bro energy that just, like, really moved me, man. Touched me in a very special place. And I like that. Excellently written overall.
Goto Top

Unregistered

BKA to Rhory Anne Broderick for killing William Davis
As mentioned before Maxwell's killing Kevin was very impressive. But I'm going to give it to Rhory. Watching the tension build and finally being released by Rory in the kill was great. It was gory too which is always a big plus.

BDA to Serpentis.Deteramot for the death of Kyle Portman
Fist of all you gotta love the Valentines related symbolism of Kyle drawing the heart. And the theme stayed for the entire post with Kyle caring about Hayley until he died. Also his death will probably bring some interesting changes in Hayley.
Goto Top

Unregistered

For the BKA, Rhory Anne Broderick for her killing of Bill Davis.
Why? Because it was intense as fuck. Reading it, the words flowed with perfect timing with regards to what was happening, and the description thereof was almost painfully real. I've nothing against the more poetic ways of explaining scenes, but this in particular was so viscerally literal that I, at points, (figuratively) felt it. Bonus points for her palm's condition afterwards, everything above applies doubly to that one part.

And for the BDA, Anderson with Tyler Franklin's death.
The deaths were hard to call, but I felt Tyler's won it for me because it was so beautifully simple. He'd had a good fight, lost, but instead of the many kinds of begging, parent-apology-making, or adrenaline-fuelled last stands there have been, he was just grateful it was a relatively quick and easy way to go. Not sure what it was about that which appealed to me, but something did, and it was an interesting change from the norm.
Goto Top

Unregistered

BKA: Kimberly Nguyen for killing Aislyn McCreery. This scene was also a heavy contender for my BDA, but I felt that there was something just a little bit more deserving as you'll likely see very soon. Kimberly's been trying to play the role of a manipulative bitch, and this kill is delightfully twisted in that she sees it as a mistake. No matter how bad Kimberly's been trying to be, harming people through words and psychological warfare, she is still harmed by killing somebody, which makes me wonder just how far the ripple will go to adversely effect her.

BDA: T-Fox's writing of the death of Colin Falcone. This was another 'bleed out' death, much like Aislyn, where the victim doesn't die instantly. Instead, Colin gets to suffer over a very long period of time. It's not the agony of this death that does it for me, though... in fact, that's probably its least powerful aspect. I don't want to spoil too much for those who haven't read it, but the way T-Fox decides to revisit Colin's pregame is just... really, soul-crushingly tragic. You'll have to read it to figure out what I'm talking about.
Goto Top

Unregistered

BKA: Throwing this one in for Kris Hartmann. There were some nice kills this round, but Kris strikes me not so much for the violence or the manner, but what it represents. I feel like we're seeing Kris's change from an accidental killer whose lost her mind to completely being a cold-blooded murderer, state of mind or not. The well-done disjointed format of the post adds to our belief we're really taking a look into a shattered mind, and the fact that not a bit of it makes sense is chilling

BDA: I'm a fan of Aislyn McReery this go around, for the opposite reasons from Kris. Here we're seeing a character remain defiant to the end, even while she's hoping for her dad., The fact that she basically told a character to man up while she was bleeding out shows a strength of character I enjoyed.
Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Cassidy Wakemore's death accidentally got left off the list, despite being on time. If anyone who voted previously wishes to change their vote to Cassidy, post noting such, along with your rationale and the number of your original post, and we'll get things corrected.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley
Offline Profile Goto Top

Unregistered

I'm giving the BDA to Tyler Franklin. This was a very well written thread that may not have been the most emotional, but it did show a somewhat new side to each of them that was actually quite interesting.

On Simon's side, we saw him lose himself to the game, and realize what he had done. The whole thing with the cremation was probably his way of showing regret for what he had done and respect for Tyler.

Tyler fought and lost. Did he regret it? Probably. But he also recognized that once he was beaten into submission, he was screwed, and he accepted it.

BKA: Liam Brooks. This guy is clearly showing his chops as a killer, and a crazy one at that. Reading Brook slashing his way through Ridley, then Raine, and now Colin for Tiffany (or so he believes) is showing just how Brook reacts to pressure.
Edited by SOTF_Help, Feb 28 2011, 12:21 AM.
Goto Top

SOTF_Help
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Just a reminder that, by the rules, you may not vote for yourself in BKA/BDA. If you have done so, your vote will be disqualified. If you want to change it, please PM Help ASAP to get it edited. We do check IP addresses on these things.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Unregistered

BKA: Rhory Anne Broderick for killing William Davis.
Probably the most intense death on the list. This one literally had me on the edge of my seat, waiting for me, and when the actual death finally happened, it was awesomely written. A great job on both parts, and one of my favorite deaths so far in the game.

BDA: BetaKnight for Aislyn McCreery.
Because this was completely awesome. Aislyn stood strong until her last moment, and had one of the most honorable deaths. She didn't go out in an overdramatic or out of character way, she didn't go out overly tragic way. It was really tearjerking and moving, but completely in character and just brilliant. Beta did a fantastic job with this death.
Goto Top

Unregistered

This was a tough month. There were several very good kills and deaths. In the end, though, I have to give the BKA to Nick LeMonde for his killing of Mike Jeffries. Nick's kill was something we haven't seen much of in V4. He acted friendly, got his target's back turned, then murdered him in the quickest manner possible. Really,w hat impressed me here was the efficiency and simple viciousness. I think Nick fairly well solidified his status as an awful person with this one action, and I think it's the sort of thing Danya would appreciate.

I'm going to toss my vote for BDA to BetaKnight for the death of Aislyn McCreery. There were some very good, very emotional deaths this round, but Aislyn's just had a few things that placed it above the rest. It was truly wonderful to see a character who had been dancing right on the edge of being sympathetic stay that way to the end. Aislyn remained completely in character throughout her death. The connections with her father were also incredibly touching, particularly given the role he has played in Aislyn's story and motivations on the island. Overall, this is my favorite death of this round, and possibly even V4 so far.
Goto Top

The Guest
Unregistered

Best Kill - Kris Hartmann

Good god, that was brutal. Impaling poor Janet Claymont on the twisted metal of the cell tower? God damn. Slamexo wrote Janet's death extremely well, fitting for the send off of his last character. But my vote for that scene would have to go to Kris for the shear brutality of the kill. A little disjointed, but it's Kris, so it fits perfectly. I loved that Kris has gone from accidental kills to cold blooded murder in a very nice scene. Again, amazing writing from both parties involved but my vote would definitely have to go for Kris.

Best Death - Aislyn McCreery

There were many great deaths this time around and it almost came down to a toss up between Aislyn and Colin, but in the end I had to put my vote in for Aislyn. Defiant right up until the end and always believing that her dad was coming for her. Hell, she told Steve to man the fuck up while she was bleeding out and I just loved that. I thoroughly enjoyed this death and BetaKnight's writing of it was just great. I'll definitely be following BetaKnight's last remaining character right up until the end and I'll be looking forward to another great death. All in all, a great scene and a great death.
Goto Top

Unregistered

BKA: Rhory Broderick

The attention to detail that karsk writes with is second to almost nobody. I loved all the nuances of the death written by both him and his partner, and as previously mentioned, the buildup of tension sold this scene to me entirely. A job very well done.

BDA: Aislyn McCreery

BetaKnight is fantastic, and often under-recognized as a writer. The strength of character in not just Aislyn's death, but the entirety of her story arc, painted magnificent undertones in her death. It was really a work of a mastered craft.
Goto Top

Unregistered

BKA: This time around, it was a three way tie between Nick for clever trickery and Brook and Kris for sheer brutality. In the end, I'm gonna go with Kris Hartmann, because she seemed a bit more subtly creepy during the kill, subtlety that I kind of missed with Brook. Nick's kill was a great idea in theory, but I don't think it was used to its full potential.

BDA: In this category, there were a few appealing entries, too. Sebastian's death was good for a laugh, once I understood what happened with him, and I was surprisingly moved by Logan's death, too. For a while, I was going to give this to Aislyn, but Colin Falcone edged her out at the last minute. It was a heartwarming scene that dovetailed into pregame in a great way, and I'm glad to see that all the text was worth it.
Goto Top

c: <3
Unregistered

BKA: Kimberly Nguyen

The quality of kills this month was pretty strong all around, but Toben just blew everyone out of the water this time around. As fun as a lot of this version's players are, I really feel like directing everyone who's trying to write one (myself included) to this scene with a big flashing sign saying THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT. I hesitate to call Kimberly a "villain", but she's entirely selfish, her actions are completely unjustifiable, and yet Toben still manages to have her come off as human and sympathetic. That's a balance a lot of us are failing to strike, but Kimberly has it in spades.

BDA: Aislyn McCreery

This whole scene was ridiculously quality. I couldn't agree more with the comment up there that Tre is too often overlooked. Since her praises are thankfully being sung all over this thread, I'm going to point out something specific I really loved about this death: Tre made sure to involve the rest of the characters around her as much as possible. Too often on here, deaths become self-contained little shows that cast the dying character as the main star. It was really refreshing to see something with a little more group participation. Telling Steven he was a pussy was brilliant in its own right, but calling Kimberly out just before she went was a great touch. This is a death that's going to impact the characters in that scene massively going forward, & it'll be fun to see how it affects them. In the meantime, Tre needs a damn null for being so fantastic.
Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Contest Voting · Next Topic »
Locked Topic