Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Kindness of Strangers; Open
Topic Started: Feb 24 2011, 11:09 PM (3,750 Views)
Randomness
Member Avatar
Is in some state of existence
[ *  *  *  * ]
((Adrian Staib continued from Where Was My Brain))

The past two days hadn't been good for Adrian.

The first problem would be the lack of food and water. He was on his last bit of bread and his water was going the same way.

The second problem for most on this island would normally be crazy people with guns. Though he hadn't seen any of those, but then again, he hadn't seen anyone in days.

But being alone wasn't so bad. At least he was still alive.

If Danya could be trusted, just about every person that he had met on this island had died. Simon, Ben, Jacob, even Isaiah. All dead. Those who were still alive weren't much better. He remembered Rob and Sarah. Especially Sarah. Not for the first time, he wondered if all this could have been stopped if he had caught up with her. Of course not. But he couldn't help but think that way.

As he reached a hilly area, he took out his pack of tarot cards once more. Picking out a single card, he sighed. The Seven of Coins. Failure. No matter what divining method he used, it always gave the same answer. Defeat, Pain, Loss. He knew all these cards had a bright side to them, but it didn't stop him from feeling down.

The path began to meander around the hills. He wondered to himself what he was doing. He was just going to survive right? But how was he to do that? Thinking of the pistol stashed in his bag, he wondered if it would be better to take it out.

But these thought were soon banished as there was a loud scream of pain mixed in with a few curses from over one of the hills shortly followed by cries for help. Adrian began to run.

Reaching the top of the hill, he saw a girl sitting on the grass frantically trying to get a log off of her leg

"Are you OK?" he asked, before realizing that she obviously wasn't. "Um... let's try to get this thing off"

Adrian was on the verge of panicking. "Okay. Um, what to do, what to do? Maybe we push it on the count of three." he said more to himself than anything.

"Yeah, let's go with that. Um, ready? One, two, three." Adrian pushed against the log as hard as he could. It was much heavier than it looked. For a moment he thought it wouldn't budge but suddenly it moved, rolling off her leg and coming to a stop a little bit away.

"Um, are you alright?" he asked.
"I have the heart of a young boy. I keep it in a jar on my desk" -- Stephen King

Those no longer with us

It's the Grand Map of Doom! v6
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Randomness
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
The girl was in all certainty fine.

Or at least close enough to it. It was good enough for Adrian. A little bit of bruising, but nothing that would last. Besides, he knew nothing about first aid; he would be just about useless if she had sprained her ankle. The way things were, there was no need to pull out a first aid kit.

Standing up, he looked around. "A place to rest, huh?" It was mostly hills around here, with the occasional tree breaking the monotony. Could have been a great place for a picnic. You know, if it weren't on an island in the middle of nowhere.

Deciding upon a large tree on top of the nearby hill would be a good spot to rest, he extended his hand out towards her.

"Um, you asked for my name?" he asked. "It's Adrian. Yours?"
"I have the heart of a young boy. I keep it in a jar on my desk" -- Stephen King

Those no longer with us

Randomness
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
"Just over there," he said, pointing at the chosen hill, pulling Sam up. Ah, this wouldn't be as easy as he thought. Why were people so heavy?

Their progress was slow, giving Adrian a lot of time to think. Sam. He had definitely heard that name many times before.

Was she a killer? He wouldn't know. It wasn't like he could remember every name from the announcements anyway. Well, even if she was, she wouldn't kill someone who had just helped her, right?

When he finally reached the tree, he let her down as gently as he could. And with that done, he just slumped against the tree, weary.

Those no longer with us

Randomness
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Adrian was just getting comfortable when Sam had pointed out the person walking below.

With a sigh he turned to look. It was a girl. He definitely recognized her from somewhere. And yet, he couldn't seem to place a name to that face.

Sam called out to her. He wasn't actually sure if it'd be better to be seen. Then again she had probably already seen them. Atop a hill was not the stealthiest place to be. So the whole thing didn't matter, did it?

Well, guess there's nothing better to do than to wait and see right?

Those no longer with us

Randomness
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
The girl had called back with a simple hello.

On the other hand, Adrian was at a complete loss for words. Should he shout back at all? Luckily for him, the decision was quickly put aside as Sam called out to the girl again, this time to ask her to come over here.

Adrian sighed. Sam was definitely friendly. Calling out to a stranger like that. Would he actually have done it? Or would he have just waited there?

But now that she had called out to her, all Adrian needed to do is sit there waiting for the girl's reply.

That was a good thing, right?

Those no longer with us

Randomness
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
((Skipping TDS))

Waiting wasn’t so bad. She was already walking up the hill. The whole thing was surreally normal. Watching her climb up the slope, it was obvious how unstable the footing was. Choosing this hill was definitely no the best decision he had made.

“Sorry she called you up like that.” Was that apology even necessary? He didn’t even know either of them. “So, what are you doing around here? Are you looking for someone?”

Those no longer with us

Randomness
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Sarah Xu? The name was familiar but that didn't come as much of a surprise.

"I'm sorry, but I don't know her either," Adrian said. "I only met a few friends and well, lets just say it didn't go quite so brilliantly."

"By the way, I'm Adrian, you are?"

Those no longer with us

Randomness
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
"R...Reiko? No you can't be..."

Even though he said that, he knew that the person standing before him was Reiko. Who would be stupid enough to say that they were her? He had heard her name every morning announcement. Had heard the names of those she killed. Everyone would be out to get her.

And now, she stood right before him.

He had to do something. Run, hide, fight. Any of those things would be fine. Why did he have to leave the gun at the bottom of his bag?

"Sam, please calm down." He knew it wouldn't be enough but he continued anyway, "We don't have to start a fight."

Those no longer with us

Randomness
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
The two of them completely ignored him, deciding to focus on staring each other down.

He wasn't going to be changing anything by saying anything more. It was time to do something. Reiko was standing right in front of him. He said he didn't want a fight, but he had to stop her somehow.

He took a step back and grabbed his bag which was lying on the floor.He could only hope that the two of them wouldn't notice him.

Those no longer with us

Randomness
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Adrian grabbed his bag. But now that he had it, he had no idea what to do. Trying to get his gun would be suicide.

He stood there for a moment. He had to do something, and fighting wasn't the answer.

He took the only other choice.

He ran.

Those no longer with us

Randomness
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
((Skipping TDS))

Adrian was halfway down the hill when it happened. The slope gave way. He had no time to react.

He reached the bottom of the hill with a loud thud ,a crack and a cry of pain.

Maybe he was bleeding. He wouldn't know. His arms wouldn't move. Neither would his legs. He lay there for a moment before trying to move again. No luck. Adrian began to panic. Here he was, on an island with god knows how many murderers running about, and here he was lying at the foot of a hill, unable to do anything.

"H...Help!" he cried out feebly. Maybe the two were still up there. Maybe they would hear him. Maybe.

Those no longer with us

Randomness
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hearing footsteps next to him, Adrian knew that help was near.

"I... I can't move!" Adrian was way beyond panicking at this point. "I think I snapped something!"

Sam was standing next to him. Though he couldn't see her face ,he guessed that she was in shock too.

"Please... do something... It hurts!" he shouted. Then as soft as a whisper, "Please... help..."

Those no longer with us

Randomness
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
((GMing approved))

The pain was starting to fade but the memory of it was still sharp in his mind.

The contents of his bag lay scattered around him, probably flung out during the fall. The pistol lay there next to him. He hadn’t packed his cards back into his bag properly and they too were strewn across the ground.

"I'm sorry... Just stop the pain." Adrian tried to compose himself but found it impossible. Thinking over the past eighteen years of his life, he sadly realized that this was the end.

All that he did in his life, gone, taken away from him. All his practice in dance, all the years of fortune telling, all wiped away.
Adrian took a breath and said, "Kill me."

She just looked at him in shock, "What?"

"Just kill me! Please, don't leave me lying here." Taking a look at one of the cards on the ground, he almost laughed, as it was Death staring back at him. "I'd rather die a quick death."

Though Sam seemed to have agreed with him, she seemed hesitant in picking up the pistol.

But in the end, she flicked the safety off and pointed it at him. She held it there for a few uneasy seconds . But at last the gun was fired and Sam could have sworn she had heard him say thanks as she pulled the trigger.

There was a loud bang.

And thus Adrian was gone, his body lying limp on the hillside.

Death continued to lie there, covered in his blood.

B005 - ADRIAN STAIB: DECEASED

Those no longer with us

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Felled Forest: South · Next Topic »
Add Reply