Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Our Last Days As Children; Day 6 - Morning - OPEN
Topic Started: Feb 17 2011, 10:06 PM (2,132 Views)
Hollyquin
Member Avatar
A friendly clown welcomes you to LOCAH. It seems he would like to be your guide.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
[[Jasper-Declan MacDermott continued from Revenge Is Best Served Cold]]

Time passed slowly, or quickly, as it was wont to do. Jasper-Declan was honestly not sure which adjective was more fitting. On one hand, there was nothing at all to break the monotony. As he and Alex walked from the woods, leaving behind his former, temporary allies, they encountered no one and nothing of interest or note (at least nothing of interest or note to a normal person; Jasper-Declan could find something interesting on every leaf of a tree). Certainly there was no conflict, no gunfights for them to stumble into. No corpses, either, which was a relief to Jasper-Declan, who had not yet fully recovered from the sight of the lifeless body of Carly Jean Dooley. The absolute quiet and the accompanying feeling of peace that would have certainly been present in a different setting was probably unusual on the island, and to an outsider looking in the silence that passed between the two boys would have likely seemed awkward. But Jasper-Declan himself didn't feel it, not that the boy knew the meaning of the words awkward silence. Or the word awkward on its own, for that matter.

On the other hand, the monotony rolled up every moment of time into one, and the time compressed itself in Jasper-Declan's memory, leaving the impression that perhaps an hour had passed when it had in fact been a good 36 hours since they'd left the woods.

They'd walked a long way, that much was clear and to be expected considering the amount of time they spent on their feet. They didn't do much map consulting- it wasn't like they had a destination in mind, so doing so seemed quite pointless. They did use their map to carefully steer clear of the inland woods- death by collar explosion wasn't particularly high on either of their lists of priorities. They were nearly out of the woods when they were forced to stop and camp for the night, and during the day they made their way past the swamp, across a bridge, back the way Jasper-Declan had come, through to the dead forest.

It was getting dark out, but even so, they walked through enough of the area to come across corpses. He averted his gaze from a headless...he believed it to be a girl, but it was difficult to tell considering the multitude of insects crawling over her skin. Though Jasper-Declan found the sight rather fascinating, it nonetheless made him the slightest bit...ill.

He did not eat that night. Unusually for him, he did not think much, either.

Instead he and Alex continued north, as far north as they were capable of, partially to escape those bodies and partially to escape everything else. The cliffs proved a failure in the former respect- there were corpses here too, muddying Jasper-Declan's enjoyment of the view. He was possessed by the urge to jump from the cliff, into that blue water, but it passed quickly- it wasn't a suicidal urge in the least, only an intense want to be swimming again. The bodies floating in the water served as clear warnings against that.

It was there they made camp for the night. They were unlikely to do much better.

As was usual, Jasper-Declan was awoken by the sound of the announcements. He sat up, immediately awake, and listened in a detached sort of way. He had hardly taken notice of the names on the announcements the day before- now that he had found Alex the fate of the other students was unimportant to him, given that he didn't really have any other friends. He did find it interesting that over a hundred people had been killed. Disturbing, yes, but interesting. I cannot imagine how such a massacre could have come about. It does seem quite incredible how many students found the selfish strength necessary to take a life...I wonder if I ever could. His gun had been away in his bag for a while now- he saw no reason to carry it when no threats had made themselves known. It didn't make him feel safe- it only made him feel uncomfortable. ...I suppose, likely not.

"Hayley Kelly waltzed out of nowhere and blew Jennifer Romita away before she could blink, for our hundredth death of the season..."

Jasper-Declan was suddenly snapped out of his own thoughts by the mention of a very familiar name. Ah...Hayley. The source of Alex's...troubles. Troubles seemed like a good word. He turned to his friend, focusing on his expression even as Danya continued, "Hayley Kelly continued her trend of wandering the open areas before randomly blowing someone away when she caught up to Jason Clarke..."

He didn't speak. Just waited. Perhaps now Alex would be ready to speak.

Jasper-Declan couldn't sympathize, but he could certainly listen.
being meguca is suffering

[V5] ALIVE:
[x] Aidan Flynn [B???] // Passing slowly though the vector, damp with fog, the bog that grows the former business sector...
[x] Chitose Saionji [G???] // 公園に千歳は本を読む!

[V5] CONCEPTS:
Winston Evans aced the last English test and would like to point out how gorgeous your shoes are.

Those Who've Known - V4
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Hollyquin
Member Avatar
A friendly clown welcomes you to LOCAH. It seems he would like to be your guide.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
"I'm...I'm beginning to think my judgement may be clouded...On the topic of Hayley Kelly."

Jasper-Declan did not speak, only nodded slowly in response to Alex's words, inwardly noting how oddly that particular structure of sentence sounded coming out of Alex's mouth. Odd. I would have supposed that stress would revert one to the mode of speech they feel most comfortable in...but Alexander's troubles seem to have had a very different effect on him. His words sound exceptionally...unnatural. I do wonder exactly what thoughts must be going through his head...

Admittedly Jasper-Declan agreed with Alex- it was quite clear that he was very much conflicted. He didn't personally know Hayley all that well- though she was close to both Alex and Jay and that guaranteed that he knew her, she didn't have the patience that Alex in particular had to put up with Jasper-Declan's particular way of thinking and acting. He did know that he'd prefer not to spend time in the company of a girl who had killed now 4 others. Of course, he'd stick by Alex no matter what he intended to do, so it wasn't like he'd have much choice in the matter...

"Wha-"

But whatever Alex's question was to be, it was cut off by another voice.

"So this is it Danya! You think you've got us beaten!..."

Jasper-Declan listened the entire rant without changing expression. To be honest he thought the new arrival was being a tad more dramatic than the situation called for, but he saw the smile split across Alex's face and knew at least that his friend was happy to find someone with such strong opinions.

That reminded Jasper-Declan. Alex wanted to escape.

He'd learned his lesson, way back on the beach, that expressing his concerns about an escape plan- namely that forming a successful one would be completely impossible- would not endear him to anyone. As he could not afford to lose Alex at this point, he had not yet said a word. He supposed that was how he was to die, helping Alex with an ill-fated escape attempt, but considering he would die here regardless, there was no point in complaining.

Alex spoke to the boy, who had fallen to the ground in tears, and Jasper-Declan did not speak. He was Alex's silent sentinel and would be a witness to this conversation, but he doubted he had anything worth adding.

[V5] ALIVE:
[x] Aidan Flynn [B???] // Passing slowly though the vector, damp with fog, the bog that grows the former business sector...

[V5] CONCEPTS:
Winston Evans aced the last English test and would like to point out how gorgeous your shoes are.

Those Who've Known - V4

Hollyquin
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
[[OOC: Obligatory crappy inactivity avoidance post a gogo~]]

The boy seemed scared for a moment, as the two of them came out of the bushes. A natural response, considering the surroundings, and Jasper-Declan didn't react at all to the knife the other boy was holding. He'd long since learned that his feeling at the beach, and later at the warehouse, that he was the only person with an actual functioning weapon was beyond false. And besides, after a moment of fear the boy seemed to...not calm down. Calm down was the wrong phrase, as the boy was in a passionate frenzy, but at least he didn't appear likely to stab them in the near future.

"I don't know. I don't know what I believe any more. All I know is that my best friend has been killed and all that bloody Danya does is sit and laugh."

He almost nodded before remembering that he and Carly hardly qualified as friends, let alone best friends. It disturbed him slightly, how her death still didn't sit with him.

"But he doesn't care, you can kill every kid on this island and it probably won't amount to shit. Danya doesn't feel, or care, or anything. He may as well be programmed."

I wonder. I wonder what Danya is like, outside of this game? Does he have a family, a wife and children? Do they know that it is their father, her husband who created this game? I wonder if Danya is his real name...perhaps he uses a fake one, to hide from his family, or perhaps they know all about it. Or perhaps this boy is right, and Danya does feel nothing. It seems odd to me that any man with children of his own would create a game like Survival of the Fittest. Does he not see his own children, when he looks at us? ...Yes, perhaps he is all alone.

"But there has to be some way. Some trick or plan or something that can end this. Something to bring Danya down with it..."

His reflex reaction was to speak. To yet again deny any hope. There was no way to escape. They would all die and there was no way around it. But Jasper-Declan decided to let sleeping dogs lie, and he kept his mouth closed, waiting for Alex's response.

He had that feeling one gets when one's about to be dragged into something.

Not that that mattered much. It wasn't as though he had much else to spend the rest of his life doing.

[V5] ALIVE:

[V5] CONCEPTS:

Those Who've Known - V4

Hollyquin
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Jasper-Declan listened with interest as Alex finally began recounting the long story of what had happened to him on the island so far. It had been...a very long week, to hear him tell it- he himself had gone through much of the week sleepwalking and had mentally condensed the six days into a series of important points. Alex had for the most part escaped trouble, as Jasper-Declan himself had- though he hadn't quite escaped trouble enough as evidenced by his missing arm. He was filled with an odd...what was this feeling, gratification?, at the realization that the boy who was responsible for Alex's pain was dead- he shook that feeling away, feeling slightly sickened by his own reaction.

I do not wish to kill anyone. I do not wish for anyone to die. I should not...I cannot.

He returned his attention to Alex. He gave a pretty speech, Alex did. He always had, it was just part of the boy's personality, just like it was part of Jasper-Declan's personality to wait and listen and nod. Alex's blind optimism was making him ill again, though. If anyone deserved to go home, for goodness and idealism alone, it was certainly Alexander Campbell, but Jasper-Declan had learned the hard way that goodness didn't guarantee your safety on Survival of the Fittest. Carly had been good, and now she was dead, and he was quite sure she wasn't the only one gone that way. But really, he cared too much about Alex, he was too afraid to lose him, to voice those thoughts. For now, at least, he could humor him.

"You know I am...in, Alexander," Jasper-Declan spoke quietly, emphasizing the slang that he'd never use himself with some amusement. "Though I am afraid I will not be of any more use than..." He realized he did not know the other boy's name yet, and settled for a vague gesture in his direction. "I do not know anyone that you do not know."

For maybe the first time in his life, he wished he'd bothered making more friends, back at Bayview. He felt utterly useless, even with the gun at his side, for he knew Alex would never forgive him if he used it.
Edited by Hollyquin, Mar 19 2011, 09:43 PM.

[V5] ALIVE:

[V5] CONCEPTS:

Those Who've Known - V4

Hollyquin
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
"But if you don't mind me asking... Who exactly is this... Jay person?"

Jasper-Declan couldn't help but give a small smile.

"Jay Holland is...an interesting character, to say the least. He is also a close friend of ours. And Alexander is correct in stating that he knows quite a few people that us two would not likely speak to. Hopefully we can locate him, and hopefully he can help us, assuming he's..."

He paused. Assuming he's...? Assuming he is willing to participate in a scheme doomed to failure? Assuming he is willing to spend the short remaining time in his life running around this island, searching for help that might not exist at all? Assuming he is suicidally optimistic, the way Alexander is...?

"...Disposed."

Jay is...intelligent, in his way. Certainly he isn't the quintessential idealist hero, like our Alexander. He is not a hero and I doubt he has any desire to become one. He is a very...different creature. It seems likely that he'll agree with my earlier opinions, that he'll realize this is absolutely useless, and he is more likely to say so to Alexander than I am, I would think. Though Jay might be desperate enough for company that he would throw aside his reservations and join us regardless.

As I did.

He shook his head, escaping the oppressive nature of his thoughts for the moment as he recollected his belongings from their temporary campsite and was once again shocked to note that there was still a gun in his hand. The device seemed absolutely normal, a natural extension of his arm, until those inevitable moments when he again noticed it was there and it felt like a heavy bit of deadly metal again. He considered putting it away, escaping it for the moment, before deciding against it. Though Alex likely wouldn't forgive him for killing, he didn't want Alex to die for those ideals.

Jasper-Declan slung his bag over his shoulder, looking back and forth between Alex and the boy. His smile had long since left his face, leaving the usual blank expression, concealing the usual torrent of thoughts which turned away from the escape plan and back to the ocean, as he said his farewells as to an old friend.

I will see you again, I am sure.

As he walked away, towards whatever their next adventure would be, a thought struck him. He turned to the boy, frowning.

"I apologize...I never asked your name?"

[[Jasper-Declan MacDermott continued in Inevitability]]
Edited by Hollyquin, May 2 2011, 07:11 PM.

[V5] ALIVE:

[V5] CONCEPTS:

Those Who've Known - V4

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Northern Cliffs · Next Topic »
Add Reply