Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Make Your Own Kind of Music
Topic Started: Feb 14 2011, 07:01 PM (5,020 Views)
Sister Grimm
Member Avatar
I am a great biotic wind that will sweep all before me like a... a great wind! A great biotic wind!
[ *  * ]
((Alice Blake continued from Stay Frosty))

Fucking danger zones. Fucking death island. Fucking Danya. Fucking Tim. Fucking Vic, running off, leaving her alone. Fucking everything. Alice was one stubbed toe from falling to her knees and cursing the heavens. She was bitter and angry, hurt, betrayed, and feeling more then a little hopeless. If it wasn't for Bounce urging her onward, God, she didn't know what she'd do.

If wasn't that Vic was gone, not really. It was how she had left. If she was killed, show down at Alice's side, that would be one thing. No doubt Alice would be wracked with guilt and horrible sorrow, but she could accept that. Maybe even learn to cope with it. Something. But this, Vic making a conscious choice to leave her behind? That was worse by far. That at some point in her thought process, Vic decided that Alice was dead weight and she'd be better of on her own. Alice would put on a brave face for Bounce, but it was killing her.

Trying to figure out the why, the reason, whatever it was that compelled Vic to strike of on her own. Was it something Alice had done? Some example of an incapability to protect Vic? Or did Vic just get tired of her? Maybe this was just a long time coming, and Vic was just seizing the opportunity presented to her.

There were enough scenarios or imagined reasons that Alice would have gone mad trying to cover them all. They all boiled down to the fact that it was just her and Bounce. All alone on a big island, effectively unarmed and defenseless. If Alice could put aside her personal problems for a second, she could try and think of a way around that. Bounce has a gas can, but that would hardly ward of an assailant. She had six bullets and no gun to fire them. Once again, she wished she were Macgyver.

If they were being optimistic when taking stock of any assets, they could mention that she was a fit and athletic young woman. Which might have been a boon, if she didn't have a concussion and a gunshot wound. As it was, her abilities were diminished somewhat. At the very least, Bounce still had her smarts. Now they just needed someone with a rapier and they could have the trifecta of brains strength and steel. As it was, well, let's hope Bounce had some diplomatic skills to fall back on.

Back in the town square, Bounce had mentioned the sawmill. Being the muscle in the outfit, Bounce's wish was her command. Being the sick bastard in charge of the island, Danya decided that it wouldn't be that easy and made the quickest route go through a danger zone. Which was how they found themselves in the felled forest to the south of the sawmill. It was her idea that they loop around, clearing the danger zone and heading up to the sawmill.

So, that was what they did. There was a period of preparation and they set off. They hadn't been moving long before the announcements started up. For a heart-stopping second, she thought she had heard Vic's name. During that second, she froze, her ears straining, as if she'd be able to hear some secret message hidden under Danya's voice. After another second, Alice decided that it was just a mistake. The result of a tire iron to the head, if you will. Just to save Bounce the possible trouble of thinking the same thing, she glanced over her shoulder. "Wasn't Vic." She said simply, confidently. Putting that moment of terror of mind, they kept going. She half-listened to the names rattled off, back after her scare, she didn't listen too closely.

And she kept right on going until she spied two figures ahead. Once was sitting, the other standing. Judging by the bit where neither had moved, she would have guessed that they hadn't seen them. Alice looked at Bounce, before nodding at the pair. "They haven't seen us. What do you want to do?"

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who, when presented with a glass that is exactly half full, say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass" -Terry Pratchett, The Truth

Lost To the Ages
Spoiler: click to toggle

Coming soon, to a V5 near you
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sister Grimm
Member Avatar
I am a great biotic wind that will sweep all before me like a... a great wind! A great biotic wind!
[ *  * ]
((Okay, really short and really temporary place-holder post so Alice doesn't get put on the inactive chopping block. I will expand and improve upon this at a later time. But not now.))

Alice watches Andrea and Allen carefully but doesn't move, on account of Bounce's advice. She murmurs her consent to Bounce to follow what she says, saying something along the lines of, "We'll wait and see what they do, then." She looks grim and suspicious, like a female Punisher.

Before anyone else can do anything that involves walking anywhere, Roland calls out and grabs their attention. Alice goes all Mama Bear and quickly steps in front of Bounce. She's tense and distrusting, eying the opposite pair carefully. On one hand, they know Bounce. On the other hand, one of them had a harpoon. Admittedly, a dropped harpoon, but it was still a threat.

Alice doesn't look away from the Dutchy and Roland, but she tilts her head enough so that Bounce could hear her and other group couldn't. "What do you want to do? Remember the other group as well. We could potentially be trapped here if this is some sort of trick." Not that she thought it was a trick, she just wanted to be prudent. She wished she still had her gun.
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who, when presented with a glass that is exactly half full, say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass" -Terry Pratchett, The Truth

Lost To the Ages

Sister Grimm
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Now this was how you did a negotiation. Silence, lots of staring and making really serious faces at each other. It was probably how they did it at the UN too. They would probably talk to each other at some point or something maybe, but right now the most important part was the grim staring. But no problem there, Alice had that down pat. She was practically the master of looking grim and/or moody. She guessed that it didn't really expedite the sharing of information or pleasantries, but whatever. It all boiled down to whichever side didn't have all day to stand around. Alice didn't know about those other two, but she wasn't exactly eager to meet up with Aaron and his group.

She would just wait for Bounce to do the talking. If it was mediation, it was on Bounce. If it was dissuading conflict, it was Alice. They had a system. Of course, judging by the rock, someone didn't want to wait for the talking to start. Her first instinct was to protect Bounce. That was, after all, her number 1 priority. Considering Vic was gone, Bounce was all she had left. That meant that Bounce was all that mattered. Alice shifted, so that she more facing the direction the rock had come from than Roland and Dutchy. It was possible that this was all a trick to divert attention and let Roland get close with that harpoon of his, but it wasn't very likely

Considering that, her eyes scanned the direction the rock had come from. Chances were good that whoever had thrown it was hiding in the bushes. Not that she could see anyone, but there hadn't been a flurry of movement to accompany someone retreating. She wished she had her revolver. Then Roland wouldn't be an issue, nor would whoever was hiding up in the bushes.

Roland was talking, angry and annoyed, but Alice didn't pay him much attention. Instead, her eyes didn't leave the location she thought was the rocks origin. She nodded toward the spot she thought was the right one. "Up there." She glanced at Roland and Dutchy, pausing on the latter as he started to panic. She felt a quick pang of sympathy for the guy, but just as quickly ignored it. It conjured to mind unfortunate comparisons between the two groups, of Alice and Roland, Bounce and Dutchy, But Bounce was uninjured, nor was she any type of weak link. Any other musing would have to wait, of course. Someone was still out there, watching them. She looked back to the bushes, her eyes straining for the slightest movement.

Lost To the Ages

Sister Grimm
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
((Ditto here. ducking under inactivity.))

Maybe it was just her, but she didn’t think it was quite the time to relax and start talking. Maybe Roland knew something she didn’t. Maybe it was a good idea to share information when someone was clearly gunning, so to speak, for Dutchy. Maybe instill the mysterious stranger with a false sense of security? Offer a distraction before rushing forward in a grand and glorious blitzkrieg? Just, personally, she thought maybe they should at least go check out the brush. Something. Anything, really, beside this.

But to each his own. Roland could talk while his charge was pelted with rocks. Alice wouldn’t make the same mistake.

If Bounce wanted to discuss tactics or whatever it was Roland wanted to discuss, that was fine. Alice was going to keep an eye on the bushes. Whoever had thrown the rock was still around. She couldn’t understand why Roland wasn’t focusing more on that. Talking like nothing was wrong just seemed so, so stupid. She could understand not rushing up there. After all, maybe it was a trap or something, maybe a lure to get someone alone. But at least acknowledge it, you know?

Well, she guessed he did, eventually. Only after Dutchy took off, though. She guessed Roland might not have been the best sense for ordering priorities. But better later than never, right? As Roland belatedly took off after his friend, it struck Alice how suddenly exposed and alone they were. They were suddenly surrounded, with at least 2 on one side and God knows how many on the other, and no one even pretending to be friendly.

She didn’t want to look away from the brush, but she quickly glanced over her shoulder at the original group, all the while edging closer to Bounce. The first group, being Andrea and Allen, hadn’t suggested hostility, but she wasn’t going to gamble on that. And there was still the possibility that the unknown attacker had more then a rock. They were suddenly alone, and more importantly, still unarmed. It hadn’t become more of an issue then it had been before, but it seemed even more glaring now that Roland and Dutchy had run off.

“We should go.” Alice suggested, nodding in the rough direction of the sawmill. “Find Aaron, or at least get out of here.”

Lost To the Ages

Sister Grimm
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
((GM'ing approved by ET.Requiem.))

Remember that part, the one where she talked about how it would be a good idea to leave? It wasn't the craziest idea ever. No, she thought it made a fair measure of sense. Maybe even a good deal of sense, if you were feeling generous. After all, the logic was sound, right? Someone who clearly wasn't friendly was hiding just over yonder, and here they were, unarmed and defenseless. Well, maybe not defenseless, but definitely not in a position to fight off any real attack. Which brought her back to her first point. That is, not sticking around.

So, when Ash Morrison broke cover and charged toward them, she was almost relieved. Relieved, in that it wasn't some football linebacker. Not so relieved that she was about to let down her guard or take any chances. Considering that lantern in her hands, one mistake would be all it took.

At least this was hardly a surprise attack. The range between them gave Alice plenty of time to come up with something. Outside protecting Bounce, she didn't have anything special planned out. What she did have was strength and speed. Ash was attacking head-on with that lantern of hers, which limited what she could do. Alice could counter or respond accordingly. Not to say she wasn't worried. Like she said, one little slip and they could both be killed. Everything was riding on her protecting them.

Alice eased Bounce to the side before stepping forward, front and center. Despite her the spiked adrenaline and racing pulse, her voice was almost steady. "Let me take care of this. Just stand back and be careful."

Alice thought back to gymnastics. To be specific, to that moment before performing some maneuver. Just relax, go with the proverbial flow. Then, some roll or somersault. Now, some psycho with a lantern. Not too different, really. It's all a matter of circumstance. Ash was closer now, much closer, and she was making a bee-line straight for Alice.

In a not totally unexpected move, she swung with the lantern, raising it over her head and bringing it down towards Alice in a manner that most certainly not following the advised usage. Alice followed the arc and side-stepped it, moving to the right and leaving Ash stumbling forward as her momentum carried her. Alice helped her along by placing a foot in her path and a shoving hand on her back. After that, it was out of her hands, so to speak. Not the hand shoving her down the hill, the other hands. The...you know, other ones. The ones in the expression.

Lost To the Ages

Sister Grimm
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Alice watched as the girl sailed past her, heard the girls surprised and frightened cry as she stumbled down the hill. Alice looked away at the last second, turning away quickly enough to avoid seeing the girl fall. But she heard that snap as clear as day. It conjured to mind images of a dry stick being broken in half, and that was enough to cause her to grimace. Bounce was pulling her along, sounding alarmed enough for both of them.

Alice let herself be pulled along and she tried not to think of Ash screaming and falling and dying. Because thinking about it would be the same as admitting that she killed her. But that's exactly what happened, wasn't it? She killed her. She was a killer, no better then Raidon or anyone else mentioned on the announcements. But it was self-defense. It was clearly self-defense. Ash had come at them with a weapon, and there was only the one thing she could have done. It made perfect sense. She was innocent, justified even. Then why did she feel so guilty?

She let Bounce drag her along blindly, breaking out of her stupor long enough to grab the bag Dutchy dropped as they hurried past. It occurred to her to question why they were running, but she really didn't mind beating a hasty retreat. As they fled, she cast one last glance over her shoulder at the hill Ash disappeared down, but she mercifully out of sight. Alice didn't know what they were running from, but she didn't want to stick around anyhow.

Now what? She got that they were running, but running where? What would they do next? Still look for Aaron? What if he didn't want them around now, because of her? What if Bounce didn't want her around? Once she settled down and started thinking straight, she'd realize Alice was more a liability than an asset. Not only was she injured, but she was a killer. Once the announcement hit, everyone would know it, too. They could target her, and Bounce would be in the line of fire.

Why did Ash have to ruin everything? Because she was too greedy/violent/whatever, everything was screwed up. Now Bounce would leave, and she'd be on her own once again. No Vic, No Bounce, just her. Alone again, worrying herself sick about those she cared about, but not being able to do anything to protect them. Her hand tightened around Bounce's.

((Alice Blake, continued in Confessional))
Edited by Sister Grimm, May 22 2011, 02:35 AM.

Lost To the Ages

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Felled Forest: South · Next Topic »
Add Reply