Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Make Your Own Kind of Music
Topic Started: Feb 14 2011, 07:01 PM (5,015 Views)
ET.Requiem
Confused Writer
[ *  * ]
((Ash Morrison continued from Darken Your Clothes and Strike a Violent Pose))

This was.... terrible. No, more like the usual. She had to get used to this situation. Ash had nearly run out of supplies again, and people were milling about. All she needed was a distraction before she could swoop in and grab their stuff.

Was that what she wanted to do, though? Ash could just try and bargain with them.

The thought put a slight smile on her face, although the amusement faded quickly. That was a silly idea. There was no way that she could make a peaceful trade in these times. It was unfortunate, but depending on people to not kill her during the 'game' wasn't a smart idea.

She wasn't going to question her decisions, not if the issue was one of morality. At least, that's what she resolved to do. It was a fact that she had already stolen from a corpse, and she wasn't about to quit any time soon. As soon as she finished justifying her crimes to herself, a calm expression spread over her face.

The endlessly looping thought of survival at the expense of dignity repeated itself once more, moving her focus back towards thievery. Ash wouldn't figure her plight out, not even if she took the time to try and think about it.

Like a broken machine, she could only repeat the same functions over and over until she was jarred out of it. Even back when she was hiding from Reiko, the loop was there in a more prolonged fashion. Hide, scavenge, consume, sleep, repeat. Those were the five steps that she would take no matter what she thought about or how she decided to change her behaviour.

Now, step one would be take place. Crawling on her belly to try and avoid detection, Ash watched over the group with cold eyes and waited for her chance to take what she needed.
V3 Character
B88: Jeff Thorne - Dead from gunshot wounds.

V4 Characters
B103 - Kevin Harding - Killed by a javelin.
G035 - Ash Morrison - Tumbled down a hill.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ET.Requiem
Confused Writer
[ *  * ]
Ash looked with a vague feeling of curiosity at the two groups, temporarily snapping out of her trance to evaluate the situation. One boy was calling out to a girl nicknamed Bounce, dropping his harpoon for some reason. Was he trying to be non-threatening? Maybe the two knew each other back in school. She recognized the second boy, however. Dutchy was his name, if she recalled correctly. He was quivering in fear, as far as she could tell.

He is a burden to his friend. Nothing but useless weight.

She couldn't ignore him, though. One pair of eyes was all that was needed to spot her. A carbide lamp wouldn't be able to match against a harpoon, no matter how much strength she had. With Bounce's companion stepping in front of her as a shield, the opportunity Ash had to sneak down vanished. Without a word, she sunk even lower into the foliage. Those two were- Wait, something was off here. Didn't she see another two walk around earlier?

Am I sure that there are only four people standing there?

She briefly glanced around. As far as she could see, there weren't any extras. But a feeling of unease crept its way into her stomach. If she was caught, she would die. What could she do to make her job possible? What could she do to distract them? She was more than ten feet away from them. If there was another group, then she couldn't get away without being chased. She couldn't afford to waste energy like that.

Then I will just have to play them.

Joining them was out of the option. She couldn't trust them to not turn on each other, as she found out with Samya's betrayal. However, she learned that groups tended to fracture along emotional lines. Her target was clear. The unfortunate one would be Dutchy, whose weakness was evident and easily exploitable.

The only question was how she would do this. How would she split the harpoon boy and Dutchy? She didn't have an established method or a clearly thought out answer. So, Ash chose the only option she could see: Improvise. If she failed, she would just retreat to a safe distance and harass them again later.

Picking up a small rock, she took aim and threw it at Dutchy's legs.
V3 Character

V4 Characters

ET.Requiem
Confused Writer
[ *  * ]
With the rock thrown, Ash waited patiently in the bushes. If she made another move, everything would be ruined. Dutchy was going to cave in under the stress and his own weakness very soon. When he moved to the tree and started crying, she knew that the first part of her small plan was complete. She didn't feel relieved or triumphant, though. She only felt a hint of disappointment at herself for going through with it.

Now came the hardest part. Taking his supplies was going to require more finesse, if only because she wanted to use the least amount of energy possible. She needed to conserve her strength for the days to come, if she survived that long.

Survive.... I am harming Dutchy's chances by taking what he needs to live.

She was killing him indirectly with this plan. Was this really what she wanted to do? His blood would be on her hands.

I can't go back now. He will run from his partner no matter what. Better to take his belongings before somebody else claims them.

A bitter taste filled her mouth. This was not right. That kind of half-assed rationalization wasn't convincing her that she was doing something defensible. Even her mother wouldn't try to argue for her in this case.

No. I don't want to do this. But I have to. I.... I'm scared.

She clenched her teeth. Ash wanted to live so badly it scared her. Forgiveness was not possible for her now. She was willing to condemn Dutchy so that she could live just a little longer. That thought alone was something too terrible to be understood by her family.

No more. I just don't want any more. Leave me alone, damn it!

She clenched her teeth. Futile. Fighting to stay human was futile, for death would claim her soon. So, why not leave her sanity behind? Why not play the game with the others? Why not do what it took to survive like she should have from the beginning? It would be so much easier. She would have a shot at surviving if she was willing to go beyond the role of a common scavenger.

Because.... because I'm not the girl they see me as. I'm better than that. I'm not as cold as they think I am. I'm a human. Not a damned monster. And I won't give in just because I'm scared.

Was the truth, though? Was she really so strong that she could let herself die for the sake of a timid little fool? Ash already knew the answer. No, she didn't have the strength of character to be that saintly. She wouldn't be able to go through with it. Her fear was simply too great to be overcome.

She closed her eyes briefly. So, this was it. She would really do this. Ash didn't have what it took to simply walk away and stop herself from robbing Dutchy. No apology could make up for this crime. She would have to bear it for whatever time she had left.

If only I had considered this earlier.... this could have been avoided. Please, let something go wrong now. Stop me from doing this, God.

Ash had never prayed before. This was probably the first and last time she would do such a thing.
V3 Character

V4 Characters

ET.Requiem
Confused Writer
[ *  * ]
(Have to break post order to avoid inactivity)

What have I done?

Dutchy was gone, and so was his partner. The supplies Ash was waiting for was finally within her grasp. All that was left was to take what she came here for and leave.

The feeling that she had done something unforgivable lingered in her mind. There was no way that Dutchy could survive on his own. Sure, chances were that he was going to be killed soon anyways. It still wasn't a good reason to shorten his remaining time, anyways.

She almost left the scene in disgust, but she chose to stay at the last moment. If she didn't take the pack, then she would have essentially damned the boy for nothing. Such a pointlessly cruel action would've made her feel even worse than she did now.

Fuck this 'game'. I don't want any part of it!

Ash covered her blank face with her hands. No tears, as she expected. What was wrong with her? Was she just deluding herself into thinking that she actually felt regret for screwing Dutchy over? No, that couldn't be. She was thinking clearly now. The guilt was real. It was there. She wasn't making believe.

That was a small relief. She was still human. But for how long? If this continued, she was going to crack. Once that happened, she didn't know what she would do.

Focus. Focus on the task at hand. Don't stray from your goal. You're going to get through this day somehow.

With a slow movement, she looked back up through the foliage. Ash would have to wait until they cleared out before she could go retrieve the bag. She didn't know if somebody was waiting with a gun in ambush, but it was a chance she would have to take.
V3 Character

V4 Characters

ET.Requiem
Confused Writer
[ *  * ]
Ash glanced at the two girls still standing around in the forest. As much as she wanted to wait and let them leave before she tried to get Dutchy's bag, her hunger finally won out over her determination. The two were looking pretty beat up, and they didn't appear to be armed. As far as she was concerned, they wouldn't be able to stop her if she made an appearance.

With that decision made, Ash prepared herself for the small raid. She took a deep breath. This was it. She would have to do this properly. She started to rise out of the foliage when she realized something. The bag might not have enough supplies to last her for the next day. She had to think about the future here. With a hesitant glance at the girls, she sunk back down.

If she wanted more, she would have to take their bags as well. Although it wasn't something she liked to consider, she was too desperate to think of an alternate solution. She would do it, and feel bad later. She opened her own bag and took out her carbide lamp. It wasn't a good tool to be used as a weapon, but it could serve as a handy bludgeon if she needed it.

20 feet? 30 feet? The two were around that distance. They would spot her long before she even got close to them. With any luck, she would be able to get to them before they pulled out any guns or weapons. She took another deep breath, rose from the foliage, and burst forward. With her carbide lantern in her hands, she rushed at Bounce and Alice. They seemed to be aware of her, but it was too late now.

This was it. It was time for her to take what she needed. Maybe now, she would get enough to survive.

Hopefully, she wouldn't have to hurt them much before she could escape with their supplies.
V3 Character

V4 Characters

ET.Requiem
Confused Writer
[ *  * ]
Ash let out a strangled cry as she fell. This was justice, wasn't it? This was what her fate was, ever since she decided to live by taking from others-

SNAP

What? She had lost all sensation below her neck. What she could feel was mind-numbing pain above it. She tumbled down the hill, gasping for breath the entire way down. Her lantern flew out of her hands and was lost to the bushes. It wouldn't work properly again, just like her body. When she finally stopped rolling, she knew she was going to die. Her fading vision was skewed at an unnatural angle. Her neck had been broken, hadn't it? Oh dear god, it had.

Damn it all. She couldn't be saved now. Death was coming for her now. The short, short time she had left would be filled with agony....

All just a mistake, a damned terrible mistake.

Ash couldn't even groan any longer. Something was dripping onto her blouse, but she couldn't tell what it was. Her eyes and ears were shutting down so quickly that she could barely sense anything at this point. She struggled to see through the darkness, but it was futile.

Why fight? I didn't deserve to go back, anyways.

She never did believe that she would die cleanly. A death as embarassing and stupid like this was the only thing she was entitled to, and now she had received it. This was how she would go out, and she would just have to accept that.

Go on without me. I wasn't good. You didn't need me. Don't cry, it was always supposed to end like this-

She would've sighed if she could. It was time to give up and die. Time for her to leave this 'game' in such a terrible and undignified way. She was just another student eliminated from the register now.

Ash took her regrets with her as her body and brain shut down completely, her face as empty as her mind was in the final seconds of her wasted life.

G135: Ash Morrison - ELIMINATED
V3 Character

V4 Characters

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Felled Forest: South · Next Topic »
Add Reply