Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Even the Best Fall Down Sometimes; Evening of day 5.
Topic Started: Jan 23 2011, 12:32 AM (1,331 Views)
Dr. Nic
Member Avatar
How cute.
[ *  * ]
[Girl #48 - Kaitlin Anderheim. Continued from Better to Have Lived and Lost.]

"It's alright, Peter."

Kaitlin smiled with reassuring brightness as Peter looked on at her, downtrodden with the revelation that he managed to get them lost in the mountains. Well, mountain. But to Kaitlin, where they were didn't matter. The only thing that mattered was that they were together, wherever they were. She absolutely dreaded being alone on this island and couldn't imagine being on her own, without Peter there by her side holding her hand and protecting her. She had spent most of their trek with her nose buried in Peter's notebook, but she always pulled her focus away from the pages long enough to take her place right next to Peter.

"It's not like we're on a deadline. We'll just try again tomorrow. That's it."

She always held that smile when she looked at Peter. That reassuring, exuberant smile no matter what they were running in to or what they were dealing with. The same one she put on whenever Peter turned around to comment on something, good or bad. It was her job to keep his spirits up and that smile was the best she could muster in this place. She was no cheerleader.

"Um, thanks for letting me read this."

She held the notebook out to Peter as he took a seat there on the rock. It didn't look like distracting him was a good thing to do, but if he was just going to stare at the map and mope, then Kaitlin wasn't doing a very good job of keeping his spirits high. It didn't look like it was going to work though, getting the two of them lost seemed to hit Peter pretty hard. This wouldn't be easy.

"So, um... do you want to show me how to make a trap? Maybe we could catch dinner. Or breakfast."

A chill went down Kaitlin's spine as she thought about that. It was true that she was hungry and would kill for a trip to the mall's food court right about now, forgetting how bad that sounded when the thought came to mind, but capturing some little critter up there on the mountain to be cooked for their dinner just didn't sit well in her stomach. But they did need to eat something other than bread and crackers and what little junk food remained. Kaitlin certainly didn't bring a cheeseburger with her on the trip. Like everyone else, she thought food would be provided, so she only brought something to munch on during the bus ride. Nothing more, nothing less. So right about now, squirrel stew sounded very appetizing. No matter how squeamish she would likely be.

"I could help set up camp, if you need it. That notebook really had a lot of useful stuff in it."

Without prompting from Peter, Kaitlin started to look around for wood perfect for a fire and decent sized rocks that she could actually lift, ones to surround the fire and keep it from burning down everything around them. She wanted to help and she wanted to be as useful as she possibly could. When she finally did spot some goo things to use for camp, she scurried off to pick them up and bring them back. Like a puppy with the newspaper, she hurried off to pick up old, dead wood and decent sized rocks as fast as she could, bringing them back to where Peter was and setting them down.

Perhaps she shouldn't have read Peter's notebook.

"Don't be sorry. Come on, let's get to work. We've got a while yet, right?"

Kaitlin just kept smiling.
Boy #??? - Joshua Edwards
Hanging out somewhere, playing his heart out.
Writer and local retail slave at the comic book store.

Girl #??? - Viktoriya "Vika" Starikova
Floating in the void, unfinished and half-formed.
Hot headed member of the soft ball team, secretly wishing she could fly.

Those who were
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dr. Nic
Member Avatar
How cute.
[ *  * ]
Kaitlin was absolutely thrilled to see Peter getting back into the swing of things. Seeing him so down again was depressing, especially after she worked to pick his spirits up the first time. Thankfully, it was easier to get his mind back on the task at hand this time. He just needs a good kick in the pants every now and then it seemed, and as long as he was going to stay with her, Kaitlin was willing to give him that kick whenever he needed it. Or at least, whenever she thought that he needed it.

"Sounds like a plan."

She beamed a smile his way and watched patiently as he struck up a fire for their little campsite, watching closely as he worked, making sure she got a good view and understood how he did it. After all, she would need to remember these things if she wanted to be of more help to him. Gathering sticks and stones was all well and good but if that was all she could do, she wasn't going to be much of any help. But she still had a lot to learn and watching Peter was the best way to learn, so that is what she would do for quite some time. She'd help whenever she could, but she spent a great deal of time just watching.

Well, watching and talking.

"Hey, um... Peter? Do you mind if I ask about what you were holding earlier?"

She nodded her head for a second to motion toward Peter's neck.

"You seemed lost in thought then, so I was sort of curious."

But asking about someone's personal possessions might have seemed rude, especially if it was something precious and close to their heart, so Kaitlin thought to offer up a little information of her own. She unzipped the top of the jacket and slipped her fingers just into the top of her shirt to pull out the locket.

"This and Theodore are the only things I have left of my dad. My mother... she..."

Kaitlin had to bite her lip for a second before the words would come back to her. She swallowed and forced them to come out. This was one of the first times she'd ever actually told anyone about her locket, or Theodore for that matter. Hell, it probably was the first time. But... but she trusted Peter, and more than anything, she wanted him to trust her too.

"She doesn't like that I keep these. We got in to a fight before prom."

Thinking back on what her mother had done... Kaitlin idly rubbed her cheek.

"But I still love him, y'know? He's still my daddy."

Even if her eyes had begun to water and her vision had started to blur, she looked back to Peter and smiled as brightly as she could. Everything was going to be okay, and when they made it out of here, she was going to find him. She was on television, after all! Everyone seemed to watch this show, so maybe, just maybe, he would be watching. Maybe he was trying to find her. Maybe he was trying to save her.

"When we get out of here... would you like to meet him? I'm going to find him. Television shows always bring families together!"

She nodded and tried her best to keep that smile on her face.

"We'll find my dad and... and we'll get ice cream. Sundaes, right?"

Who was she trying to convince... herself, or Peter?

Those who were

Dr. Nic
Member Avatar
How cute.
[ *  * ]
Kaitlin sniffled and wiped her eyes with the sleeve of the jacket Peter had been so kind to give her the day before. It was warm and so soft, she couldn't help but feel safe wearing it. As long as Peter was by her side, Kaitlin knew they would get through anything. They would survive despite the killers, they would escape despite Danya, and they would find her Dad despite her Mother. They just had to. It was just how things were going to happen. They would survive and they would live happily ever after, exactly how it was supposed to be.

"Yeah. Thank you, Peter. For everything. If it weren't for you, I don't know if I would have survived so long. No... I know I wouldn't have survived so long."

Kaitlin put on her brightest smile once again, always trying to keep it going no matter what she was thinking about or what was happening. Smiling always helped. It made people feel better and no matter what, she would smile for Peter so long as it kept him going. As long as Peter was by her side, Kaitlin could take on the world. And she would stay by his to help him up should he ever falter and fall. She knew she wasn't very strong or very brave, and she knew she was all but completely useless when it came to survival, but she was going to help him whenever and however she could. Even if he had to teach her how.

Peter was one hell of a teacher.

Kaitlin watched as Peter assembled the trap, trying to help out whenever she could. Setting up as many traps as they could was a good idea, but by the end of their trip away from the campsite, Kaitlin had a number of little scraps and bruises on her hands. Those deadfall traps were hard to set without getting hurt, and Kaitlin could attest to that. But they had plenty of traps set and all they would have to do is wait.

And wait.

And wait..

And wait...

By the time it was dark, Kaitlin was already starting to nod off. Peter was wide awake and ever vigilant, but Kaitlin wasn't a camping kind of girl. Or even a late night kind of girl. When Peter shouted and sprang to life, Kaitlin damn near fell over, her heart racing. It took Kaitlin a little longer to spring to life than Peter, but soon enough she was right behind him, following him out to one of the traps. Still rubbing her eyes, she felt her stomach flip and drop inside her when she saw the rabbit. There was no way in hell she would be able to watch what came next and she was quick to run back to their campsite, covering her ears and burying her face in her backpack.

She cried alone for the poor bunny.

When Peter came back with it, she tried hard to ignore him. Despite wanting to help him and always be ready with a smile for him, she just... just couldn't watch that. She couldn't stand to watch or think about anything that came after they had caught that poor little bunny. She almost couldn't bear even the thought of eating when it was finally cooked, but her stomach won out and she gave in. No matter how cute bunnies were, she still needed to eat something other than bread and crackers. So, reluctantly, she ate with Peter, trying hard not to think about what they were eating or what they had to do in order to have such a meal.

But Kaitlin had to admit...

Poor little roasted bunny was delicious.

They spent a little more time sitting up, finishing their meal and downing the last of that days ration of water. Kaitlin was still sniffling, once in a great while, but she tried not to bring much attention to that fact. She tried to ignore it and forget about it, and certainly didn't want Peter to be worried. But when everything was said and done, and they were getting ready to curl up and go to sleep, Kaitlin just couldn't close her eyes without seeing that bunny. And with that image stuck in her mind, she just couldn't sleep there alone.

"Peter?"

Kaitlin sat up and looked over at Peter as he was lying on the other side of the fire. Close enough for the warmth but not so close that you could be burned. That's what he'd mentioned before, but it was a little hazy in her mind right about now. She had more depressing things to keep her mind on, like dead bunnies and the families of those dead bunnies coming to take her away in her sleep.

"Peter? Can I... um... I mean, if you're not comfortable with it that's okay. But, um, could I... sleep with you tonight?"

When he gave her the go-ahead, Kaitlin flashed a little smile and picked up her things, Theodore held in her arms tight as she scooted on over to lie with Peter. She didn't think anything of it, cuddling up with Peter and staying close to him. It may not help a lot, but it would help just enough to let her feel safer. Let her feel comfortable. Right now, she wanted to feel as safe as she possibly could and Peter perfect for that. So, she cuddled up with him and held Theodore tight in her arms, smiling softly.

"Goodnight Peter. Sweet dreams."

Kaitlin drifted off next to Peter. Safe and sound.

Those who were

Dr. Nic
Member Avatar
How cute.
[ *  * ]
Well now, that was certainly a pleasant night of sleep. If not for Peter then at least for Kaitlin. Being able to cuddle up with someone and stay warm and safe, with Theodore in her arms and a smile on her face, it was one of the greatest luxuries they had here on the island. There were a few others that Peter was able to afford them, like the hot meal they had the night before or the warmth of a fire every night. But the best would have to be the safe and comfortable, that was most important of all, safe and comfortable nights sleep they were able to have. It put Kaitlin's mind at ease after the events of the previous night to know that when she woke up, Peter would be by her side. He would always be there if Kaitlin had her way.

Then again, if she had her way they wouldn't even be on this island.

She could feel Peter moving behind her, but she tried to keep her eyes closed, tried to keep as still as she would be while she slept. It wasn't a matter of wanting to go back to sleep, as Kaitlin was probably more awake than Peter was, but she didn't want him to know that. Didn't want him to think that he woke her up with his moving. Didn't want him to know that she noticed that poking. When she realized what it had been, she buried her face in to Theodore to hide the blush and tried to forget about it, shrugging it off as reflex. Just something that happened in the morning. But that was the first time she'd slept so close to Peter, so it was the first time she'd noticed.

The announcements were a welcome distraction.

Clio, huh? I wonder what Peter thinks of that.

Kaitlin just continued to lie where she was and hold Theodore tight as more and more names were called out. She hated that voice, hated the inevitability of the announcements. She hated being woken up by them early on but now, she was awake before they even started. Fear. Anticipation. She didn't know which drove her to wake up and listen to them every morning, but she did it. Reluctantly, she kept a list. All the names she could write down in time, all the names she could hear. The list was getting longer every day.

Without Peter by her side, Kaitlin sighed softly.

"Peter?"

She turned over now, looking at him as he stood there, smile on his face, looking down at her from beside the remains of the fire.

"Are you... happy? That Clio is dead, I mean."

Pushing herself up to sit up and hold Theodore in her lap, Kaitlin stared up at Peter expectantly, awaiting his answer yet not quite staying quiet enough for his answers to register to the smiling girl in his bed. Makeshift bed, but his bed none-the-less.

"What I'm getting at is... Well, she killed Luke, and now someone killed her. I was kind of wondering... how you felt. How you were handling it."

She trailed off for a moment, yawning and rubbing the sleep from her eyes. Seemed she was sleepier than she thought. And a lot more forward and blunt with her questions that she probably realized, at that. But she had her questions and her concerns and she wanted to voice them, and she hoped and believed that Peter would be honest with her. That he would be forthcoming with the answers. But taking her mind off of the answers, Kaitlin noticed the clothes that Peter held and realized that he was going to go off and change, and that she could probably afford to do the same. If Peter were another girl, it probably wouldn't be an issue changing there at their camp. But, Peter being Peter, Kaitlin saw the issue. And blushed at it, if only for a moment.

"Oh, um... I'll uh, turn around."

As she spun round where she sat and tried to focus on something far off in the distance, she mulled over her thoughts. Over their situation. Over her dirty, messy hair.

Where did I put my comb?

Those who were

Dr. Nic
Member Avatar
How cute.
[ *  * ]
Staring off at something in the distance as if it was the most interesting thing ever, Kaitlin waited. She fiddled with the jacket and continued to focus on something other than the boy behind her stripping. Where should they be going? What should they be doing? She knew where they were going, but she wanted to think more about where they should be instead of where they were going to be. The things they were going to do... she didn't want to think about it. She wanted to think of something nicer. But she still hoped that when they did do what they had to do that it would turn out alright. Maybe Peter could put her mind at ease.

She turned to say something.

Oh. Wow.

Snapping back in to position, Kaitlin tried to hide her face and the building blush. She really wasn't supposed to look. She should have remembered that. But it slipped her mind. Yeah, that's what happened. That's how she would explain it, if he asked. If he noticed. Oh god, she hoped he didn't notice. That would be the worst. Shaking her head for a moment, she tried to forget about it. He didn't notice. And as long as she didn't bring it up, he wouldn't know she saw. So, she started to hum. Silently at first, just playing out the song in her head, but as she sat there and stared off into the distance, her silent humming became less silent. It was an odd little tune, but it was nice. Some song she heard a long time ago. She wasn't quite sure where she heard it, but she liked it.

Peter's voice snapped her out of her little world.

With a smile, she turned back to face him. He looked nice. A little different, and maybe a little strange, but nice. She didn't quite expect that bundle of clothes to have turned out to be some sort of uniform. But he looked good in it.

"You look nice."

Plain and simple statements. It was certainly an improvement from the last things she said. She should really apologize for that, but bringing it up again might bum him out. But what if not apologizing made him mad? But then, bringing it up might make him mad too...

Kaitlin sighed heavily, tried to focus on something else.

Breakfast was a good choice.

"Thank you."

Taking her hands away from their task of fiddling with her jacket, Kaitlin went about getting the food he mentioned. To go with it, she also got out some of her own bread and a couple crackers, and managed to assemble what she decided was a sandwich. Hey, it wasn't perfect, but it was the best sandwich to ever made.

At least, in her opinion.

"Here."

Kaitlin held half of her creation out to Peter. Wouldn't exactly be fair to eat the food he saved and not share it with him, now would it? No, it wouldn't. So, with that always soft and sweet smile, Kaitlin ate with Peter. It was a meager breakfast, but it was still nice. A nice view and good company would make even break and water seem like a feast. Which was good. They'd have a lot of that ahead of them.

"Well then, I suppose we should get going. Y'know, I never went hiking before I met you. It's... kind of fun, despite the situation. It's nice up here."

Gathering up her bags, Kaitlin scurried over to join Peter while he put out the fire. She'd have to remember that. She couldn't let Peter handle everything when it came to making camp. He'd taught her a lot already, but she still had so much more to learn. But she tried not to think about that for now. Right now, her focus was on him.

Even though nothing in this place was certain, Kaitlin was still happy. Happy to have someone by her side. Happy to have someone protecting her and teaching her. Happy to have someone who cared about her. And most importantly, happy to have someone she cared about by her side.

Maybe it was more than simple caring...

"You ready?"

Always smiling. Always by his side.

When she held his hand, she was happy. She was content. She was safe.

When she held his hand.

[Girl #48 - Kaitlin Anderheim. Continued in Endings & Beginnings.]

Those who were

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Mountain · Next Topic »
Add Reply