Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
No Crying Allowed; Day Four
Topic Started: Jan 4 2011, 06:46 AM (3,585 Views)
Super Llama
Member Avatar
STILL THE BEST 1973
[ *  *  *  * ]
{{continued from Final Third Foul}}

Is there was something to describe how Maria felt at this moment, it would probably be this:

Posted Image

Note the sad blue background of depression, the broken vase of guilt, the annoying douchebag who just stole the last piece of cake of frustration. Also, that Phanto is probably up to no good as well.

Maria really wanted to stop feeling like this. Crack a few jokes, talk about some silly things and make this horrible feeling vanish into the ether, and then she could just forget about it for a while. But it was damn persistent, pressing down on her and keeping her from even making an attempt. So she went along with Duncan and Cass in silence, only speaking when spoken to, and only with a simple nod or a grunt in response.

As they continued, Maria saw a familiar collection of buildings, and realized that they were right back at the Residential District. Frustration began to well up inside her. How the hell were they going to find people trying to escape if they were just going to go around in circles!? But she was answered by a sudden blurring of her vision and a bit of wobbling, reminding her that it was getting late, and that she hadn't slept since yesterday.

"Uh...we should probably get some sleep once we get there."

"Huh? Oh, okay." Duncan said in response, looking at Maria with concern. After all, she looked awfully pale ever since they left the docks, and he was starting to worry that she might pass out.

As they caught up with the residential district the three of them headed to a nearby grocery store, sadly already stripped of anything useful. Sitting down near the frozen food aisle, the three of them dug out their rations and ate, Maria looking up at the shelves and at the price tags of various flavors of ice cream, taunting her.

"Hmm...Rocky Road..." Maria said suddenly

"Huh?" Duncan replied, looking up from his loaf of bread.

"I could really go for some Rocky Road right now."

Duncan stared at Maria with a confused look on his face, before his gaze moved over to the shelves and he saw what Maria was talking about.

"Oooh, right. I always preferred sherbet myself."

"Oh yeah, that rainbow stuff, right?"

"Yeah."

The bout of conversation gave way to a long silence before Maria spoke up again.

"I wonder if the others at the rec center are okay."

"Others?" Duncan wracked his brain for a moment before he remembered that there was a bunch of people pouring out of the rec center before he came in and found Maria and Cass. "Oh yeah..." Remember it also reminded him of Trent and that timid girl, and he found himself wondering if the two of them were okay, too.

"I...other than Zach and Dustin, I don't know any of their names, so even if they came up on the announcements, I wouldn't even recognize them." Maria said, letting out a sigh.

The silence returned, and once the three of them finished their meals they decided to hit the sack, the three of them propped up against one of the glass doors, leaning against each other. Just before she drifted off to sleep, Maria found that she'd finally forgotten about her troubles for that moment, and as she nuzzled up against an already asleep Duncan and put an arm around Cass she wished that morning didn't have to come.

----------

"Hey."

Maria woke up to a girl leaning in, inches away from her face and staring at her intently. She didn't say anything else, though. Just stared, as if she were expecting her to reply.

"Uh...hey."

"Come on." The girl said, extending an arm to her. "I've got something I want to show you, and there isn't a lot of time."

Maria was understandably confused as she stared back at this girl, with shoulder-length blonde hair and blue eyes, dressed in a sky blue t-shirt with a picture of a crab on the front and blue jeans. There was something...off about her. Well, more than what was already apparent. After a moment's hesitation, she removed her arm from around Cass, careful not to disturb her and Duncan as she took the girl's hand and was helped to her feet.

"Hey, wait a minute..." She said, looking out towards the entrance. "It's still dark o-"

"Let's go." The girl cut her off and yanked on her arm as she walked out, pulling her along as the two of them walked out of the store and down the street, the moon out in full force and illuminating the street well enough to see clearly. Maria kept staring at the girl intently, trying to figure something out, and once she did, she came to a stop, feeling the yank on her arm as the girl was stopped as well, looking back at her with confusion and a look of annoyance on her face, and as she saw her face Maria knew for sure.

"This is a dream, isn't it?"

The girl's expression changed to surprise. "How did you know?"

"Your face...you're me, aren't you?" Maria answered, looking the girl up and down. "You look a lot like how I imagined I would now if I didn't start dressing like...well, this."

The girl nodded. "Yeah, that's right." And tried to keep walking, as if she were in a hurry.

"You know..." Maria said, keeping still and looking around at the scenery. "I don't think I've ever really been aware I was in a dream before." She said. "It...doesn't really seem like one I'd have though."

The other Maria looked back at Maria with an annoyed look on her face. "Alright, fine." With a snap of her fingers, Maria heard a battle cry in the distance. Turning around, she saw Robo-Bear 5000 and Nicolas Cage in The Wicker Man in a bear costume running down the street at each other, until they met in the middle and punched each other in the face at the same time. Then they exploded.

"There. You happy now?"

"Well, there's a lot more to them than that." Maria said as she watched the smoldering wreckage.

"Oh come on, just keep going already!" The other Maria huffed and yanked on Maria's arm until she was moving again, traveling just a bit farther until they turned the corner and saw...

"...Jimmy?" Maria was taken by surprise when she saw Jimmy Brennan right in the middle of the road, bound and gagged in a chair. The other Maria pulled her over until she was right in front of her, and Jimmy let out what was, knowing Jimmy, probably a series of profanities and general shit talk.

"Alright, let's get started." The other Maria said.

"W-wait, started with what? What is he doing here? What am I doing here?"

Suddenly, Maria felt something heavy in her hand, and as she looked she let out a gasp of surprise and dropped the gun like it was a grenade with the pin pulled. "W-what the hell!?"

The other Maria sighed. "Look, I went through all this effort to set this up, so will you hurry up and shoot him already?"

"W-wha...s-s-shoot him!??" Maria said, stepping away from the gun. "What the hell is wrong with you!? Why would I do that!?"

"Because he's a killer." The other Maria gave a shrug. "You saw him, didn't you? He beat the ever-loving shit out of Phil. He was gloating the whole time, so you know he wasn't panicking or anything. He was getting a huge kick out of it. Don't you think that kind of attitude should be punished? Why should someone like him get to win the game?"

"But..." The other Maria had a point. Jimmy Brennan was a cold-blooded killer. He didn't have the excuse of self-defense, or acting in a blind panic, or anything like that. He was hurling insults at Phil the whole time. He was loving it. Even though Phil had nearly killed her, seeing something like that made her so angry."

But...

"...but I'm a killer, too." She said. "And Phil was a huge jerkface, but the person I killed was completely innocent. She didn't do anything, but I ended up killing her anyway. I don't have any right to pass judgment like that."

The other Maria let out another sigh of annoyance. "Then how about this? If you don't kill him, who's to say he won't come back and kill your friends?"

Maria froze.

"He got his first taste of blood, and he obviously loves it. Who's to say he won't end up coming back and killing them? And it's Jimmy Brennan, so you know he'll be talking shit and gloating about it the whole time."

Maria looked back at the other Maria, and then back at the gun, suddenly finding herself drawn towards it as she got the mental image of Cass, Duncan and Max on the ground, dead, with Jimmy standing over their bodies, gloating about how they didn't stand a chance, because he's Jimmy Fucking Brennan.

"And he's not the only one. There are other players too, and they'll be gunning for them as well. Are you just gonna stand back and let them get cut down just because you killed someone by accident so you don't deserve to do the same? Even if it's to protect them?"

It...it made sense. Maria reached down and picked up the gun. It wasn't a flare gun this time; it was the real deal. Some kind of automatic. She looked it over in her hand, and then back at Jimmy, who hurled another onslaught of muffled insults, and even when she couldn't understand them they were still annoying as all hell and JESUS CHRIST JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP JIMMY BRENNAN!

Maria aimed the gun at Jimmy, her aim wavering as the smell of barbecued pork came back to mind, and she began to feel nauseous again. She remembered the anguish she felt at Francine's death, and how it almost consumed her. Could she really go through all that again?

Maria closed her eyes, her hands shaking, and...

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH!

Maria woke up in a cold sweat to the sound of Danya speaking, and suddenly realized that she didn't give a shit who died yesterday, she REALLY didn't want to hear the announcements. She pulled away from Cass and a rather confused-looking Duncan and bolted out the door, ignoring Duncan's calls for her to come back. She walked briskly down the street, trying to think of something, anything to drown out Danya's voice. Finally she decided to just start blaring Number of the Beast in her head.

"Anyways, first to die was-"
I lived alone
my mind was blank
I needed time to think to get the memories from my mind

"Maxwell Lombardi termina-"
What did I see?
Could I believe?
That what I saw that night was real and not just fantasy

Maria continued like this for a while, before she suddenly tripped over the sidewalk, landing with a loud "Oof!" in front of a house where a certain boy was currently sitting.

"After a day of inactivity, Reiko Ishida re-"

"Shut up..." Maria growled. "Shut up shut up shut up SHUT UP I'M NOT GONNA PLAY YOUR STUPID GAME!"
Edited by Super Llama, Jan 4 2011, 08:57 PM.
Posted Image
Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men! And ladies! And ladies who dress like men! For Gilgamesh...it is MORPHIN' TIME!

V5 hopefuls:
Hiro Fukuyama: "N-n-no, I-I'm not scared."
Lucy Rosenberg: "If you're looking for friends, I don't think I can help you with that."
Angus McDonald: "To hell with you! If anyone here deserves to live, it's me!"

The Dead

banthesun

She wanted those horrible metal balls to stop banging against her legs

ZombiexCreame

But would Celeste even want help from a guy that whips out his pistol without a second thought?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Super Llama
Member Avatar
STILL THE BEST 1973
[ *  *  *  * ]
Maria looked up from her internal conflict to see somebody standing in the doorway with a very mean expression on his face. Come to think of it, hadn't she seen him somewhere before?

"You again..." She said. "...uh, also."

As he brought up where Duncan was, the realization came to her that she just stormed out of the grocery store and left Cass and Duncan behind. Panic quickly started to overcome her as she turned around to where she came...to find Cass quickly approaching, letting out a sigh of relief as she said that Duncan wasn't too far behind.

"Oh!" She exclaimed. "I remember! You were at the rec center before." She said, looking towards the boy. "Did you find who you were looking for? This place has gotten pretty crazy. It's like you can't even turn around anymore without seeing somebody go crazy and beat somebody else in the face with a stick." She said, cringing a bit as she remembered what happened to Phil.

------------

Duncan was indeed not far behind, having woken up with the announcements, just in time to catch Maria hurrying out the door.

"Wha-hey! Maria!" Duncan said, following after her and Cass, though on the way, he started thinking about the dream he had. Not anything fanciful or weird; instead his brain had decided to play back what had happened at the docks, before they ran into that killing. His pace slowed a bit as she remembered her words.

"Thanks, Duncan...If it wasn't for you and Cass, I would've lost my mind by now."

Duncan couldn't help but feel guilty. Even if just being there was helping, it still wasn't enough. Maria was still suffering, and it was clear it was just getting worse. But hell, what was he supposed to do? Get everyone on the island to stop killing each other? Yeah right. Duncan just felt more and more helpless the more he thought about it. He had come to a decision that he'd do what he could to get Maria off the island, as well as her friends if he could somehow manage it, but even then, what the hell could he do? He got completely screwed on the weapon front, and had to make due with a sharp stick, but even Cass had him outclassed on the sharp stick department. He couldn't come up with a decent escape plan to (literally) save his life. He had been looking forward to finding Maria again, but now that he did he was feeling like more and more of a load.

As Maria came into sight, he stood back, letting out a sigh as it appeared that she was okay. Even still, he had to try. Even if he WAS a useless load, he still had to put forth the effort. If just being there was enough, then goddammit he'd be there. That would be his legacy on this island.

"Duncan...I...I lo-"

Duncan's face flushed a bit. He already knew what she was trying to say. He remembered back to what had happened when Zach broke up with her. Back then, he rejected her because she was on the rebound, and he was sure that if the two of them tried anything they'd just wind up regretting it later. Even now, he was still worried that this was something like that. That she was just scared from everything that had happened. But there was no denying that he didn't feel the same way.

Dammit, why the hell did all this have to be so complicated?

"Hey, Maria!" Duncan called out as he started to approach her. "Are you alr
Posted Image
Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men! And ladies! And ladies who dress like men! For Gilgamesh...it is MORPHIN' TIME!

V5 hopefuls:
Lucy Rosenberg: "If you're looking for friends, I don't think I can help you with that."

The Dead

banthesun

ZombiexCreame

But would Celeste even want help from a guy that whips out his pistol without a second thought?

Super Llama
Member Avatar
STILL THE BEST 1973
[ *  *  *  * ]
{GMing approved}

The next few seconds got rather confusing for Maria. She spotted Duncan, who started asking if she was alr, before he was suddenly interrupted by several load popping sounds, a couple somethings skipping off the ground beside her as Duncan stumbled forward, landing on top of her and knocking them both to the ground. She looked rather confused, the reality of what was going on taking time to click in her mind. Looking over Duncan's shoulder, she noticed a boy standing nearby, a gun in hand and an evil grin on his face. Wait...isn't that that British guy? The one who keeps showing up in the announcements?

The boy aimed his gun one more time at the two of them, pulling the trigger, only for a click to come from the gun. Maria felt as Duncan shifted his weight, as if trying to shield her, and she watched as the boy looked up, noticing the other two people there, and quickly ran for it, making tracks away from the group.

Well...that was close. Maria tried to get up, giving Duncan a nudge to signal him to get off, when...

Huh? She suddenly noticed that it was unusually warm between the two of them. She tried to push Duncan up enough to look down and...red. That...that's a lot of red. Maria reached around, brushing her hands against Duncan's back, and Duncan let out a sharp, ragged gasp as she did. Her hands came up red, too.

"D...Duncan?"

It sounded like Duncan was trying to say something, but she couldn't really make it out. Suddenly, he coughed loudly, and Maria's cheek was splashed with more red. She felt as Duncan's breathing got slower...

And slower...

And slower...

And then...

Then...

Murderer.

You were supposed to protect him.

He just walked up and shot him for no reason

If you hadn't freaked out, he'd still be alive

Duncan, I...I lo...

You couldn't protect him. You can't protect anyone.

Monster.

Worthless.

You should just kill him.

You should just die.

KILL HIM JUST DIE HE DESERVES NOTHING LESS HE'S DEAD AND IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT the smell of barbecued pork NO WONDER ZACH DUMPED YOU if it wasn't for you and Cass I would've lost my mind by now KILL HIM KILL HIM KILL HIM NO WONDER YOUR MOTHER CARES MORE ABOUT HER JOB THAN YOU KILL HIM WORTHLESS HE'S A MONSTER AND HE DESERVES TO DIE YOU ARE A WORTHLESS HUMAN BEING the only thing she was good for was digging this grave Maria Graham showed some real flair in taking out Francine Moreau KILL THE BASTARD JUST DIE KILL HIM AND JIMMY BRENNAN AND EVERYBODY ELSE WHO DARES TO FUCK WITH YOU NOBODY WILL MISS YOUhelpKILL HIM DIE KILL HIM DIE JUST FUCKING KILL HIM EVERYONE WOULD BE BETTER OFF WITHOUT YOUhelp meKILL HIM KILL HIM AND THEN DANCE ON HIS FUCKING CORPSE JUST DIE AND SAVE SOMEBODY ELSE THE TROUBLE OF KILLING YOUpleaseKILL DIE KILL DIE KILL DIE KILL DIE
KILL
DIE

help me...

"Maria?"

Maria blinked in surprise as she heard Duncan speak, looking over at him. "D...Duncan?"

"It's okay, I'm fine."

"You...you mean you aren't..."

"No, I'm alright."

Maria let out a sigh of relief. "Dammit, don't scare me like that!" She scolded in a noticeably upset tone, feeling a great weight lift from her shoulders. Of course, there was still the great weight on top of her. "So, uh, could you get off? You're kind of heavy."

"Uh...sorry. I'm feeling kind of tired all of a sudden."

"Oh." It made sense, strangely enough. With some exertion, she slid out from underneath Duncan. Looking down at him. "Should I go get my first aid kid, or..."

"No, it's alright. I just need some rest."

"Oh, alright." She said. "Man, that was pretty scary, wasn't it? That guy just came out of nowhere and started shooting. What an asshole. Good thing no one was hurt, right?"

"Yeah..." Duncan said. "Listen, I need you to do something for me."

"Hmm? What is it?"

"It's probably gonna be a while before I can move around again, but we still have to look for people getting off the island, right?"

"Uh...that's right." Maria said, wonder where he was going with this.

"So, I want you to leave me here, okay? You go look for a group, and then when you find one, you can come back for me, okay?"

"W-what!? I can't do that! What if somebody finds you?"

"Don't worry. I'll be fine. Just help me into one of those houses, okay?"

"Uh...o-okay. If you say so." Maria said, still not sure about Duncan's idea. Still, she felt like she had to oblige him. Reaching down, she grunted with exertion as she pulled Duncan up, helping him towards the nearby house she saw George coming out of, not really paying attention to if he was still standing there or not. At the moment, all she was really paying attention to was Duncan.

"Geez, Duncan, quit dragging your feet..." She said, straining to get him into the house, spotting the bedroom right away and heading straight there.

"This should be a good spot." She said, laying Duncan down onto the bed. "This good for you?"

"Yeah, this'll work."

"Lucky bastard. You get to rest in a comfy bed while the rest of us have to go run around the island some more." Maria laughed a bit, and then the room was filled with an awkward silence for a moment.

"...Duncan?"

"Hmm?"

"There's...there's something I have to tell you." She says, carefully sitting down at the edge of the bed.

"What is it?"

"Remember back at the docks, before all that crazy murder stuff happened? I...I was saying something before I got cut off. I..." Maria hesitated for a second. "...I love you, Duncan."

"Huh?"

"What? Don't 'huh' me! I just said I love you, and that's all you have to say?" Maria sighed with annoyance. "I...what happened after Zach dumped me. I thought it was just because I was rattled. But...I thought about it a lot after that, and...that's how I really feel. With Zach...well, I guess I kind of got sidetracked. I can't really remember why we hooked up in the first place, come to think of it. But you..." Maria blushed a little bit. "Remember when we were kids, and I tore the skin off my elbow on that crappy tire swing? God, I was just bawling and making so much noise. I thought it was the most painful thing in the world. But you were there the whole time to make sure I was okay. Hell, your parents had to drag you away even after I was all patched up. I mean, I know I've always acted all weird and hyper and stuff, but you were always there to try and rein me in. You were always there. Even when I moved away, you were still always there, as well as you could be. I...I can't imagine my life without you." She smiled a bit, looking down at Duncan. It felt good finally getting it all out after all this time. She felt so relieved.

"...Duncan. Do you mind if I...?" Maria fidgeted a bit on the bed, and then finally decided to go for it. Leaning in, she closed her eyes and planted a soft kiss on Duncan. It held for a moment, before she finally pulled back. "Uh...s-sorry." She said, before noticing something strange, reaching up to touch her face. Was she...crying? She finally had the chance to tell Duncan her true feelings about him. What did she have to cry about? Huh...that's so weird.

So why couldn't she stop?

"Uh, well..." Maria got up off the bed. "I-I guess I b-better get going then." She said, suddenly finding her voice shaking. "D-don't worry. When I find out how to get out of here, I'll come back for you, a-and then we can all get off this island together." She started towards the door, now finding her hands shaking as she reached for the doorknob. For some reason, she found that she really, REALLY didn't want to leave the room. She wanted so badly to just stay behind with Duncan. But she couldn't. She had to find a way off the island, and she couldn't do something like that here.

"S...s-see ya." Maria said as she stepped through the door, closing the door behind her.

"Bye." She heard just before the door closed.

B76: DUNCAN MCMAHON - JUST RESTING
Posted Image

V5 hopefuls:

The Dead

banthesun

ZombiexCreame

Super Llama
Member Avatar
STILL THE BEST 1973
[ *  *  *  * ]
"That, uh, wouldn't have been you shooting, would it? I mean, no judgments here if it was, but, you know, if it was, could you maybe possibly not shoot at me?"

"Hmm?"

Maria looked over as George was yelling something at Lord British, spotting somebody else nearby and offering a big friendly smile.

"Who, me? Nah, some asshole ran up and just started shooting at us. I don't even have a gun!" She blinks as she remembers something. "Oh wait, I DO, don't I?" She says, reaching back and pulling out the flare gun. "But it's not even loaded, is it? Oh but it's pretty crazy when it is. You just pull the trigger and everything's like FWOOOOOOOOSH!" She spread her arms out really wide as she FWOOOSHed and smacked her hand against the wall. "Ow..."

Outside of Maria's happy little world, she wasn't exactly the nicest thing to look at at this moment. She was a disheveled mess, covered in fresh blood, and with little something in her eyes that told that the cuckoo had just left the nest, so to speak.

"Oh, crap. I should probably keep it down." Maria realized, looking back to the door. "Sorry, Duncan!" She said in his direction before looking back to George as he waved a chair around. "Weapon? Hmm...well, there's that stick." She said, peeking back out the door and spotting the sharpened stick in question. "Oh there it is!" She started back out the door before anyone could stop her, reaching down and picking it up before looking over at Cass. "Oh, there you are." She said, smiling again and walking over. "Come on, we gotta go find someone to get us out of here. We'll come back for him later."
Edited by Super Llama, Jan 25 2011, 05:30 PM.
Posted Image

V5 hopefuls:

The Dead

banthesun

ZombiexCreame

Super Llama
Member Avatar
STILL THE BEST 1973
[ *  *  *  * ]
And then everyone left.

Well, everyone except Cass, that is.

George said something about her being crazy before he took his leave, and that other boy seemed to just up and disappear. Maria didn't really think anything of it, though, as she and Cass walked back where they came, arriving back at the grocery store. Going back to the frozen food aisle where they spent the night, she dug into her pack, doing something she had put off doing for a while.

Reloading her flare gun.

The smell of ba

Maria blinked as a thought in her head seemed to be cut short. It was something familiar. Something she'd thought plenty of times. She shook it off after a brief moment, though as she snapped the flare gun shut again before looking to Duncan's pack. Come to think of it, shouldn't she get it back to hi-

No need.

Hmm? Wait, why not? Isn't he gonna nee-

No need.

Maria felt rather confused, but went for Duncan's pack and opened it, finding herself compelled to dig through it and pull out all the food and water, transferring it to her pack. But she still didn't get it. Wouldn't he be needing this fo-

No need.

Maria put a hand to her head. Her thoughts were getting all muddled, like her brain was getting drowned in happy thoughts and she was missing something really important but she couldn't think of what it was and you let him diHAPPY THOUGHTS.

Ugh. Her head was starting to hurt. Maybe she just didn't get as much rest as she needed. Zipping up her pack, sticking the flare gun back down her pants and grabbing the stick she struck off with Cass down the road again, on her search for an escape attempt for her and Cass and Max and Duncan too because he's still alive and if you say otherwise then you're a GODDAMN LIAR

{{continued in Fatal Fury}}

{{thread closed}
Edited by Super Llama, Feb 4 2011, 03:18 AM.
Posted Image

V5 hopefuls:

The Dead

banthesun

ZombiexCreame

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Residential Area · Next Topic »
Add Reply