Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Shaker; (Ask first please)
Topic Started: Jan 1 2011, 07:35 PM (1,463 Views)
Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Jessie continued from Cool Ranch))

It was a fluke, really. The biggest of all possible freak chances. Searching for one person, not finding them. Getting found instead, even. And... well, selfishly... I didn't care about Liz Polanski at that moment. She deserved the attention of every last person on the island, and for the right reasons, not the Danya reasons.

From me, in the warehouse... well, she didn't get it.

I feel guilty, but I'm not a saint. I think I can be permitted the odd lapse. Especially for...

~*~

Jessie didn't feel as if she was making very much progress. Nix that, she didn't feel like she was making any progress. Irrationally, she'd somehow been expecting to be able to do the right thing straight away, find Liz Polanski after just a little searching, stop other people from doing the selfish thing. Needless to say, it hadn't worked out like that. Jessie tried to will her frustration away. Nobody ever said that finding one person on an island of more than 200 (...less by now? Jessie didn't want to consider that) would be easy.

But it was a little disheartening, either way. Every moment was vital, so by definition, everywhere Jessie explored without finding Liz was taking valuable time off the clock. If one of her fellows didn't try to kill the girl first, then Jessie was entirely sure that Danya would have something to say in the matter. The announcement on the previous day had made that crystal clear. He'd detonated four collars over that day, just as a threat...

If Jessie were some kind of psycho, she'd be considering taking out Liz to stop herself coming up in the roulette. But no... the girl was doing the only thing she could. Rebelling. That was worth it. She wasn't causing death for the sake of herself... she was causing it for the sake of wrecking the game. Jessie hated to use the 'ends justify the means' argument... down that route lay untold evil. The ends didn't justify the means, but in the situation they were in, it was a damn sight better than the other ends.

As Jessie approached the set of buildings, she stopped dead. They looked like warehouses. Was she wandering straight into a dangerzone? The hockey captain winced and put a hand to her head. She was running on empty after a sleepless night. Not bunking down had been pretty stupid, but she'd forced herself through the tired haze to keep searching. That train of thought was interrupted by the characteristic sound of the announcements.

Jessie sagged a little. It was still happening. ...Well, she hardly had a reason to expect it all to stop, but...

Her eyes glistened slightly. Jessie bowed her head, dropped to one knee and clasped her hands.

Eyes slide shut.

"Hail Mary, full of grace, the lord is with thee..."
Posted Image
SotF: Mini - SCdoes a-rolling! - PV3 Prologue ongoing!
Draw Thread! - Pathfinder! - Writing Thread!

Adequate summary of my personality
V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Somebody said her name. Jessie tripped over the prayer's words, the voice triggering off a thousand and one alarms. But in a good way. Maybe the best way possible. ...Well, the best way possible given the situation. Never mind.

'Hail Mary' forgotten in the blink of an eye, Jessie was on her feet in an instant, whirling around so fast she was at a risk of whiplash. It was him. It was really him. Imraan. Her best friend, more or less. The guy she'd been wanting to find ever since... ever since she'd heard about DK. Earlier, even. It didn't matter.

Throwing all caution and any kind of suspicion to the wind, Jessie ran to her friend and wrapped him in a hug that was so fervant and desperate to as probably be bonecrunching. Jessie had always been strong, and given her downright muscular build, she always underestimated how powerful she actually was. Not that Jessie would ever throw a punch in anger, but it had led to some hellacious hits in hockey that had made even her wince.

"Thank the Lord, thank the Lord Almighty. Imraan I've... I've needed you so badly over the last couple of days," Jessie leaned her forehead against Imraan's chest. "Please... please don't leave me."
Posted Image

V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Jessie, for a few moments, felt the tears welling up in her eyes. For Imraan to actually be here, in the flesh... not some kind of cruel mirage or dream (and on those rare occasions she'd snatched sleep, Jessie had dreamed of seeing both Imraan and DK), it was incredible and in many ways, almost too good to be true. She wanted to cry for everything that had happened, for what had happened to DK, for just... finding her friend, at long last.

But she wouldn't let herself. It wouldn't be fair to Imraan, not in the slightest. Hadn't he gone through the same things as she'd done? Heck, Imraan was in GODspeed, half of them were already dead, and Rachel herself had apparently gone the path of so many others and degenerated into murder. Crying wouldn't be fair on him at all. Jessie couldn't let any tears out, for his sake... she had to hold it together, stay strong.

It'd just be... selfish to do otherwise.

When Jessie looked up from Imraan's chest, she was dry-eyed. She managed a smile, which dropped when she heard his request.

"Oh oh! I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking at all," she loosened up... slightly, only really to the point where she wasn't in danger of imminently crushing Imraan's ribs. She didn't want to let go for a second.

"Is it... is it wrong of me to feel like things are okay now?" Jessie ventured tentatively, after a short while. "...I feel like it should be wrong."

So many people dead... DK included. Finding a moment of happiness seemed almost criminal when everyone around her was suffering.
Posted Image

V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Not that great, just moving along I'll fill in some more tomorrow))

And ultimately, that was what they turned out doing.

~

It was a good day. Well as good, in any case, as any day on the island could really be. Jessie knew that it was self-indulgent, a little selfish, even, but... they could both be dead tomorrow. As much as Jessie didn't want to consider that or even think about the fact that Imraan could die (not that there wasn't a dose of worry for herself mixed in)... It was a possibility that was all too evident. Too real.

It had already taken DK from her... Jessie wasn't going to waste the opportunity.

What did they talk about? Everything. Nothing. Anything that wasn't here, that wasn't their situation. Back home. Stories, anecdotes, even though they'd both told one another everything there was to know about each other a long time ago. But it didn't matter, not a bit. It was escapism, to an extent... and that didn't matter either.

Just that they got a day.

~

At length, Jessie sighed and looked down to the floor. The sun was setting, the sight a welcome distraction from reality... but one that had to be cast aside.

"Imraan... we need to go. I... I want to find Liz Polanski. Protect her, in any way I can. I know we had that announcement about staying away from her, and I know that they... blew some collars. But... that just tells me that they're scared of what she's done. If there's a loophole, there must be others. Other people must be able to find a way around the system. But me? No... I'm no scientist, I can't do anything like that. So... that's why important to me that the people who can't protect the people who can. Right now, Liz is that person. I know looking for one person in this entire island is a big ask, but... we found each other, right? I'm not... actually you know what? I am. I am asking you to come with me. I don't want to get separated, I ... don't think we'd ever find each other again. So I'm asking, Imraan, I'm asking you for your help. If you... if you can't, or have somebody else to look for, or other priorities then... well, I'll trust your judgement. But... this is what I'm doing, Imraan. Come along? Please?"

Jessie picked herself up, shouldered her bag.

"Don't even say anything... just... follow or don't."

Determined, she set off.

"I don't want to say goodbye."

((Jessie concluded in May the Lord Accept This Sacrifice at Our Hands))
Edited by Namira, Feb 13 2011, 06:59 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Warehouse · Next Topic »
Add Reply