Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Instinct; Semi-Private
Topic Started: Dec 20 2010, 10:42 PM (5,543 Views)
Arscapi
Member Avatar
Anonymous Capybara
[ *  *  *  * ]
((Alex Jackson continued from Not What I Was Expecting ))

Alex Jackson had no idea why she was retracing her steps yet again, but something told her that she needed to get back to the forest. Well, what was left of the forest, she decided it must be hope for finding more information about Roman. She had no idea whether Simon would still be hanging around, but she had to try something. At least thats what she kept telling Jessica. The truth was she had no idea why exactly she needed to go back there, but something was telling her too. Shed learned a long time ago not to ignore the sense, but it seemed silly to try to explain.

She made her way across the remains of the forest, and flopped down on one of the stumps. There was nobody here. She let out an exasperated sigh. So much for hunches, apparently they didnt do well in life or death situations. Well regardless she was finally going to have a bite to eat. She rummaged through her bag; looking through the remains she selected a few more pieces of bread.

You know we really should think about seeing if we cant hunt up some meat. All this bread and crackers is really starting to wear on me, Alex mentioned to Jessica. She dug out a bottle of water. We should also see if we cant find some more water. Ive been spending so long worrying about finding Roman and running away from our crazier classmates that I havent thought much about it.
V5 characters
Kaliska Day
Kathryn Nguyen G61 - deceased Start
Bianca Howard G45 - deceased Start
Logan Cadagon B16 - deceased Start

V4 Characters:
Thea Kairos - G067 - deceased
Alexandria "Alex" Jackson - G046 - rescued
Marion Summers - G074 - deceased
Gracie Wainwright - G081 - deceased
Samaya Boen-Hilstrand - G064-deceased
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

BetaKnight
Member Avatar
In some cultures, what I do is considered normal.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Roman Jackson continued from Living In the Aftermath))

Roman plodded along, absently humming to himself in a droning monotone. The humming abruptly stopped as he realized what he was doing. It was an old habit, one that soothed him in times of stress or mind-numbing boredom. Besides making him feel better, it had the added bonus of driving Alex absolutely crazy. With stiff movements, he glanced at the others in his party. "Sorry," he sheepishly apologized, wondering why no one had commented on it sooner. He had probably been doing it for a while for him to have noticed it himself.

Actually, if he was being honest, Roman was amazed that his new friends had stuck with him for as long as they had. He didn't know if he would have followed Jojo or Simon if they had started aimlessly wandering the island. Granted, his wandering wasn't exactly aimless. He had an aim. He just wasn't a hundred percent sure how to achieve it. Or even 90 percent sure.

One thought had driven him all morning. When you lose something, retrace your steps to the last place you had it. In his pain-muddled mind, that meant that he needed to return to the beginning. For Roman, that meant a return to the clear-cut remains of the forest.

The steep, uneven terrain had proven almost too challenging for his condition. His movements had been punctuated with deep, gutteral grunts as he fought to keep moving forward while favoring his left side. The injured shoulder and side throbbed and pulled with each step. He could feel that the bandages were no longer dry, that he was still bleeding at a steady pace. That thought alone should have alarmed him into stopping and asking one of the others to check, but the need to find Alex had brought him this far. Some nagging instinct drove him, assuring him that he was heading in the right direction. That it wasn't much farther now if he would only press on.

An miscalculated step caught his foot in a small rut, causing him to stumble and fall to his knees. Without thinking, he threw both hands out to brace himself. He bit back a scream as his injured shoulder was ruthlessly jarred by the momentum of the short fall and his own weight. Fighting back pained tears, Roman braced himself with his good arm to try and alleviate the pressure on the other.

Huffing and blowing, he slowly worked to shift himself from his kneeling position into something more upright. But he couldn't do it. He simply didn't have the energy.

He spotted a nearby tree stump and awkardly scooted himself towards it. Placing his right palm on the stump, he managed to push, lever, and drag himself up until he could sit. The muscles in his right arm burned and screamed their protest, unaccustomed to have to do so much of the work all alone. However, that was nothing compared to the bone-deep ache coming from his left side. Hanging his head, Roman was content to simply sit for a moment as his body labored to get enough air.

God help him, he was tired. He wasn't sure how much more of this he could stand. He wanted to lay down. Just lay down and let this whole nightmare be over. But he couldn't do that until he was sure Alex was okay. He had to find Alex first. She had to be close. He could feel it. If he would only get up and keep walking, he would find her.

Roman willed himself to his feet but his traitorous body refused to budge. Silently cursing the situation, he allowed his head to roll backwards so that the open sky of the clear-cut forest filled his vision. Now that his breathing had returned to normal, he inhaled as deeply as he could before bellowing, "ALEX! WHERE ARE YOU?"
Version 5

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
((Acacia Salinger continued from Living In The Aftermath))

It had taken her nearly half an hour after the announcements were up that she'd actually thought about them. Mostly she'd been trying to make sure Roman didn't keel over and fall to pieces, and she was immensely grateful to have Jojo and Simon there to help out. Especially after her brain kicked into gear and she actually listened to the day four announcements. Names had floated through her head as they had done for the past three days and stuck there like velcro, tiny obituaries that she couldn't shake off, no matter how hard she tried. She'd always had a rubbish memory, conceptually she wasn't all that unintelligent, she understood everything that she was told, how ox bow lakes were formed or whatever. She just couldn't remember it twenty minutes later, which was probably why she'd been marked out as a ditz all her life.

Except, apparently, she could remember names if those concerned were recently deceased.

Most from that morning had been people she knew in that very specific high school way: she knew their name, they hopefully knew hers, they might say hi if they saw each other at the Mall, depending on who else they were with. In a normal situation she would probably mourn their untimely death. But Max had died too, and that sort of ruled the rest of them out. What had they been? Their relationship had still been at that strange stage where they weren't entirely sure if they were officially going out or not, and there had been a part of her that wanted to see him, say... something. But there was no chance of that now.

She tried to conceal what she was feeling from the others, especially Roman. Fortunately he was in a lot of pain and clearly determined to find his sister, she was fairly sure she managed to hide it from him, ducking back a little if emotion took over. Jojo and Simon, she wasn't so sure about, certainly she was hiding it less from them. Sniffing, and rubbing her eyes in irritation at the unfairness of it all, she took a few steps to catch up with Roman. Distract your mind. She consulted her map, which she had been following studiously for the entirety of the journey, mainly because it was something she could conceal her face behind if needs be. Also, Roman seemed to be going on instinct, and there were danger zones afoot.

"Hey," she said, her voice steady, after they'd been walking in the South Felled Forest for a couple of minutes. "We're back where we started!" They'd done a neat little loop of the island and now they were back at the beginning again. It gave her an ominuous feeling, like they were coming to the end of something. She glanced up and Roman was struggling to a tree stump, calling out for his sister. She stepped towards him, unsure of how best to respond. "Hey," she added, in a clipped yet comforting tone.
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

shiny shiny V5 concepts (now with clickies)
Phoebe Cho - I shall be playing Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor. Wizard!
Harry Hanley - I've got Hershey's at half price today! Get 'em quick before I have rehearsal!
Lor Van Diepen - I'm gonna make a video later. About running. Does that sum me up enough?

Whirlpool531
Member Avatar
Lets play hide and Seaking!
[ *  *  * ]
((Joss Joiner continued from Living In The Aftermath.))

Jojo looked around at the area around the foursome as their journey continued. He considered it a pity that so much lumber would be cut down and then left unused. It made him wonder how long ago it was that this island was inhabited and what had happened to the previous residents. Considering everything else including the town, sawmill, and other establishments shown on the map, how could it all be deserted and then taken over by Danya and his men without a question? His train of thought was interrupted as Acacia remarked upon the fact she had returned here with Roman. He assumed Roman since they were together since he first saw them. It made him think how much he wanted to say those words when he got off this island with Jay. Jojo was beginning to wonder if finding Jay would be possible when he heard a loud thump ahead of him.

Roman had fallen and before any of them could help him he had climbed over to a stump before making a loud cry asking where someone named Alex was. Jojo would guess that was his sister but now was not the time to think of that when Roman was like this. Jojo rushed over to him, trying to check his wounds when he saw the fresh stains on the bandages.

"You're bleeding again!? Roman we should have kept you in bed for another day at least! Just stay down, you need to rest." He put down his bags and the sledgehammer as he searched for a new shirt for bandages.
V5 Characters

22:41 Caligulove (Ruggahissy) STOP SOLICITING STRANGERS FOR GAY TUBE SEX
23:50 Elena Ebay doesn't seem like it'd work. Ebay is for like, seocnd hand stuff and virginity can't really be second hand.
21:14 bacon THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T BRING YOUR PENIS INTO THE CHATROOM
16:07 Dom Sizzler is an american straight house
19:54 DomienSandow I'm gary oak
19:54 DomienSandow you can't ignore my girth
12:59 GeneralGoose MY NIPPLES ARE EXPLODING WITH DELIGHT

Arscapi
Member Avatar
Anonymous Capybara
[ *  *  *  * ]
Alex sat on the stump swinging her feet lightly when suddenly she could have sworn she heard a familiar noise. She jumped up and took a few steps trying to figure out if she really heard it.

Do you hear that, she asked Jessica.

She stopped talking hoping for the noise to continue, but let out a sigh of frustration when she no longer heard it. She bit her lip, and then she heard it. She shrieked and headed towards the shouting.

Roman, she whispered almost daring not to believe it. She took off at a run, overjoyed.

She skidded to a halt as she saw him sitting on a stump a few feet from her, surrounded by two others. She barely looked at the other two as she launched herself at him, wrapping him in a fierce hug. ROMAN! Where have you been? Ive been looking all over for you? What happened? Youll never believe whats been going on with me. I found Jess, but like the very first thing I stumbled on was a dead body. Can you believe it? And then I got a bunch of grief cuz I wanted to bury him. Then Jess and I wandered into the beach, just as it got declared a danger zone and ended up here, but earlier, and got caught in a shoot out. She took a breath and then glanced down at him.

Hey, you okay? Youre not saying much, she asked.
V5 characters
Kaliska Day

V4 Characters:

BetaKnight
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Roman feebly tried to wave Jojos concerns off, limply flapping his good right hand at him. As well meaning as the others were, they didnt seem to understand the need to find Alex right *now*. He had to find her, never mind what his body was doing. Alex could be in even worse shape and who would take care of her if he didnt find her?

As he gathered his waning strength for one more attempt to stand, he was nearly knocked off his impromptu seat by a force of nature. But even better than a force of nature, it was the force of Alex. He bit back a whimper of pain as she wrapped him in a tight but brief embrace. He had never been more glad to see her in his whole life. He smiled indulgently as she chattered away a mile a minute in typical Alex fashion. He allowed the sounds to wash over him, reassuring him that it really was his twin, safe and whole and healthy.

Hey, you okay? Youre not saying much.

A perfectly innocent question but more than he could deal with. He was hurt and exhausted but none of that was important anymore. Shakily reaching out, Roman tucked an errant strand of hair behind Alexs ear before briefly touching her face. She felt so wonderfully warm and alive to his cold, clammy hand. She was here and she was okay.

The first tear slipped from his eye as fine tremors wracked his body. Learning forward, he grabbed Alex in a one-armed bear hug, burying his face in the crook of her neck and clinging to his sister as he began to cry.

Thank you, God. Shes here and shes okay. I was so afraid Id never see her again. Nothing else matters, as long as she's okay. Oh, thank you. Thank you.
Version 5

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
It had worked. Acacia had spent a fair portion of their day long journey wondering how she was going to break it to Roman that twin senses weren't real, it was just a series of coincidences and knowing someone really well that led people to believe in it. But somehow, from across the island, through all the death and war, there was a moment of peace. Sort of. Acacia winced as Alex practically jumped her twin back to the ground, then felt a need to step away as he pulled her into the most obvious display of love that she'd seen in days. He'd given her privacy during her imaginary phone call, now she would give him privacy in his moment too.

Chewing on her lip she walked back towards Jojo, scanning the barren landscape. According to the map this was the southern felled forest, but they weren't in the exact bit of it that they had started out in. There was no headless body of Dallas Reynolds for a start, also none of the possessions that she'd cast aside as being useless when she'd first woken up. Four days later she couldn't even remember what she'd tossed. Casting a glance back to the embracing twins, Acacia felt a slight twinge of jealousy towards Alex. She'd enjoyed the little partnership that she and Roman had gotten going, and that was going to come to an end now. Not that she could blame him for it, it was just sad. Also, she felt more lost than ever. Before they had had their little mission. Find Alex. Now that mission was completed she wasn't sure what she was supposed to do. She needed a new objective, a new task. Acacia knew that she wasn't clever enough to come up with a way to escape, she was going on the basis that they would eventually get rescued. Thinking about the alternative was too... Too much.

"Where the fuck is Simon?" she said irritably to Jojo. He'd disappeared for a bathroom break, and Acacia had barely acknowledged him leaving as he said something about catching them up. She'd been too lost in a reverie. But that had been almost an hour ago now, and she was starting to think he might have gotten lost. Twaisting her foot into the ground, she created a tiny sandstorm of dust that coated her sneakers. Sneakers which had been brand new for the trip, and yet the additional dust made no change. She didn't care. Glancing up at sky, which was turning to dusk, she looked around again for somewhere sheltered. A small half circle of stumps sat in a shallow dip, trees that had once been a cluster, seemed to be their best bet. "Well, whatever," she said with a shrug, figuring that Simon would either show up or he wouldn't, but he could look after himself. He'd managed to track them from the Hall of Mirrors to the Sawmill pretty effectively anyhow. "We should set up a camp," she added, pointing towards the stump circle and raising her voice so that Roman and Alex might hear. Then she pointed half heartedly to the sky. "It's getting dark," she said by means of pointless explanation.
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

Phoebe Cho - I shall be playing Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor. Wizard!
Harry Hanley - I've got Hershey's at half price today! Get 'em quick before I have rehearsal!
Lor Van Diepen - I'm gonna make a video later. About running. Does that sum me up enough?

Whirlpool531
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
He picked up his things and followed Acacia's lead to give the twins some privacy in their reunion. After agreeing in his mind that setting up camp would be a good idea, he saw the same site she did and layed his load down as he sat on a stump and looked towards the cheerleader.

"So, what do you do now that those two have reunited? Gonna hide out for the hope of rescue? Start playing and hoping Danya will let three off the island for once? Now that I know he'll likely rest after finding his sister, I think I can leave Roman in your hands." He pulls out the map and a pencil, tracing his path around the island, trying to examine where Jay may or may not be.
V5 Characters

23:50 Elena Ebay doesn't seem like it'd work. Ebay is for like, seocnd hand stuff and virginity can't really be second hand.

Arscapi
Member Avatar
Anonymous Capybara
[ *  *  *  * ]
((Jessicas movements approved by Ciel. Time jumping to better facilitate deadlines.))

Alex studied her brother as he brushed hair behind her ear and then touched her face. She gave him a puzzled expression and then realized that he was really cold. Before she could demand an answer she suddenly had an armful of crying Roman. Alexs eyes widened and she stiffened at the unexpected emotional display from her normally reserved brother. The moment passed and she wrapped her arms around him again, rubbing circles into his back and whispering nonsense comfort words, like Mom had for her.

She glared at Acacia and Jojo, they hadnt kept him safe. Hed been gone for four days and just look at the state he was in. And he has the nerve to criticize my choice in friends. Alex mused. She wasnt sure how long theyd stay that way, and she didnt care, knowing that her brother was here with her made everything okay. For a long while it was just her and her twin and nothing else mattered.

Sometime later she looked up to see that Jessica had joined the group and she flashed her friend a wide I found him smile. Then she heard Acacia mention something about making camp and she nodded her approval hoping the others would start without her.

Gently, she pried Roman from her shoulder. She waited until his eyes were focused on hers. Its okay, were together now, she said seriously. What did you manage to do to yourself? I mean you were without me for three days and just look at the state you're in. I can just hear Mom now. You know its your job to watch out for your brother, hes not as tough as us Jackson women. I mean what were you thinking wandering into danger? It was said mostly to see if she could get him to smile. Alex, like one of her favorite TV characters, wasnt a big fan of chick flick moments.

She turned serious again. You going to be okay if I go help the others, or do you want me to stay here, she asked searching his face.

By the time she'd gotten an answer Jojo, Acacia, and Jessica had managed to set up a fairly nice camp.
V5 characters
Kaliska Day

V4 Characters:

BetaKnight
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Time skipping again. Wee, time skips! Apologizing in advance for any GMing. If anybody involved has an issue with what Ive written, let me know and Ill fix it.))

As he watched the stars twinkling in the night sky, Roman contemplated what was left of his future. He was fairly certain that short of some miracle rescue, there wasnt anything anyone could do for him. But at least he had found Alex. She was safe and healthy.

He could see how concerned she was about his currentcondition but there was nothing he could do except try and downplay the severity of his injuries. If she was distracted by him, she wouldnt be able to keep watching out for herself. As loathe as he was to think it, he knew he was more of a hindrance to his sisters continued chances than he was a help.

Hot tears of frustration gathered at the corners of his eyes. Assuming he even managed to climb to his feet when it was time to set out in the morning, he knew that he would be the focus of attention. No one would want to overtax him, not push him too hard. God forbid, if they actually ran into someone who wanted to hurt them, Alex would probably try and shield him. He couldnt let that happen. He couldnt let her throw away her chance to go home to their parents on him, not when he was already a lost cause.

Gritting his teeth to keep from sobbing out loud in despair, he fixated on trying to clench his left hand into a fist. He hadnt told any of the others that he had lost all feeling in his left arm not long after they had run into Alex. Or that the pins-and-needles sensation he had experienced since the shooting had spread over most of his lower body. It was just another one of those things that would worry his sister. His head swam and the stars overhead blurred.

Squeezing his eyes tight, his words came out in a harsh whisper. God, I know you and I havent talked in a really long time. I was really angry after Grandpa George died. I was pretty sure you werent listening to me anymore. Im not even a hundred percent sure youre listening to me right now. But I know that given the situation were all in, I cant be the only person trying to get your attention.

Turning his head as best he could, Roman glanced over at Alex to make sure she was still asleep before he continued. So heres the deal, God. I know Im dying. I can feel it. Unlike some of the others whove met their ends here, mine is in inches and feet rather than all at once. And Im okay with that. I really am. But I know Alex wont be. I need you to take care of my sister, or send someone else to take care of her, and get her back to my parents. Its not fair that they should lose both of us. Theyre good people and theyre going to be devastated.

Taking a deep breath, he slowly exhaled. So if you could just do that for me, Ill be totally good with whatever happens to me. I found Alex. I did what I could. Now, Im leaving it all up to you.

He heard the watch approach to check on him. He tried to remember who it was. He could see Alex and who he thought was Jojo sleeping nearby. Taking a wild guess and taking care to keep his voice low, he spoke. Hey Acacia. You, ummyou heard all that didnt you?
Version 5

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
"Hey Acacia. You, um... you heard all that didnt you?"

Nodding imperceptibly in the darkness, Acacia sat down, cross-legged, on the floor to Roman's left. The moon was behind her, casting her face into shadow, and she watched her own profile flit across him before she settled back against a stump. The harsh, colourless light reflected off his features, and Acacia fought to steady her voice before answering.

"Yes."

There was agony written across his features, so much pain that it hurt just to look at him. So instead she stared up at the sky, and for a while they were silent, each lost to their own thoughts. She was supposed to have awoken Jojo for his shift ten minutes ago, but she didn't want to. Didn't want to fall asleep where her thoughts could take her anywhere and her dreams were becoming more vivid and unsettling with each passing night. All around them was peaceful; the nearby scuffling of a rodent in the dust, the chatter of an insect, the far off call of a bird. A faint smell of gunpower in the air tingled with excitement like fireworks on the Fourth of July. A few shots ripped through the air from far away. Acacia turned her own gun over in her hand. It was still loaded from the first day, not a single shot had been fired from it. It was probably the only virginal gun still on the island, she didn't know what it was she was hanging on to. She looked from the gun to Roman. Back to the gun. Back to Roman. Back to the gun.

She could end it. She could end it right now. There was nothing they could do to save him, and Acacia wasn't sure how much longer she could go on watching him die. Her heart thudded as she realised what she was thinking. Murder? Euthanasia? They're they same thing. The gun seemed to gain a hundred pounds, it was trapping her hand against her knee, she couldn't move it. Acacia looked at Alex's sleeping form on Roman's other side, to Jessica just beyond her, to Jojo, who was sleeping perpendicular at their feet. If they knew what she was thinking... But it was only a thought. Nobody ever got killed by a thought. It was when they acted on those transient ideas: that was when people ended up dead.

It was just a thought! Acacia glanced at the gun in her hand. There was no way she could use that, the other three would awaken in an instant, and at any rate she didn't know where to point it. Didn't know where would kill and where wouldn't, where might end up just making the pain worse and the death no faster. She released the gun from her grip, dropping it into the dust, and bringing scuffed knees together, she hugged them as she had often done as a child. It's only an idea. No, if she were going to do this, which she wasn't, the best thing would be to wait for him to fall asleep, and then smother him with a pillow. But it didn't matter, because she wasn't going to.

Roman took a few rasping breaths, and the idea grew in her mind like a disease. Preparatory guilt wrapped around her stomach and clenched it in an iron grip, griping as her mind ebbed back and forth like the tides. It drifted in as she looked at Alex, the such little time that the twins had managed to spend together. As she looked at Roman and how she had come to make such a great friend in a few short days, he was almost a brother to her now. The brother that had shown her how to load her gun, the brother that had provided her with a purpose, which was the only thing that had stopped her from going crazy three days ago. He had, essentially, been her world, and she didn't want her world to end so soon.

It ebbed away as she looked closer at him, at the eyebrows that were scrunched up in concentration from trying to stop himself from crying out. That prayer she had just overheard. That ever so slight... plead? in his voice when he asked her if she had been listening. The relief that death would bring him now. The closure that it would bring her. And, in a way, it would seem right that she could end it peacefully for him, while he still had some dignity. That was what people always wanted, wasn't it? To die with a little dignity. Slowly, little by little, the tide was going out, and what had been an idea was becoming a reality.

Acacia turned around and lay down next to Roman, turning onto her side so her mouth was close to his ear.
"You've been brilliant," she whispered, allowing a few tears to fall freely, they were immediately wicked away by the earth. "Just brilliant. I couldn't have asked for a better person to spend the last four days with." She remembered the prayer. "I'll- I'll see you in Heaven, okay?"

From her duffel, she found a plastic bag that had once upon a time contained her packed lunch for the coach trip. Into it she put a jumper, and with great care placed it across his face making sure that his eyes were covered. She didn't want to see his last moments, didn't want to see exactly what she was doing. As she pressed, she closed her eyes, putting one hand on his shoulder as by default he started to fight. He was weak. "Sssh," Acacia soothed as best she could, her heart thudding fast and deep.

Her brain was screaming at her to let go, to stop. To let nature take its course. To remember what she was here for. Why am I here? What am I doing? But there was a deep, animalistic part of her that took over, pressing gradually harder and harder until her arms ached with maintaining the pressure and her head throbbed with emotions, until he stopped moving and the crash of drums that had been crescendoing around her suddenly fell away with a great anticlimax and she let go. She put two shaking fingertips to his neck, and felt nothing. No perceptible heartbeat, no rise and fall of his chest, no expression on his comforting features. No occasional tiny moans that for two nights now had been comforting her that he was still alive.

Acacia scrambled to her feet and in a few short steps got as far away as she could, her natural grace making little noise in the night that was now even more still. She looked with horror at Roman, he looked so alive, yet at the same time so very dead. Her hands tingled as the blood returned to them, a reminder of what she had just done, the life that she had just ended.

She had never felt so powerful simply for being alive.

There was no way she could stay here. There were a few short hours until the announcement that would probably serve to wake Jojo, Jessica and Alex up, and once her name was read out... she would never be forgiven. Alex Jackson would put a price on her head, and Acacia wasn't ready to die just yet. It could so easily have been her that had been shot, could so easily be her that had been dying, it might have been Roman who had just had to make the most agonising decision of either of their lives. Her that would have to come to the realisation that she was going to die, and wanting it to come sooner.

She needed to cling on to the second chance at life that his death had given her.

As she was leaving she looked back at the four bodies on the ground, one was still, three rising and falling with each breath they took. Whatever might had happened tonight, she still owed them a chance for their lives. Heck, she owed Alex more than one. Gently, she knelt down beside Jojo, shaking him awake by the shoulder.

"It- it's your turn," she said in a broken voice. "I have to go, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Look after Alex. Tell her- tell her I'm sorry," she professed her guilt to Jojo without looking at him, her eyes fixed firmly on the ground, on the sky, on the dead stumps of trees that looked remarkably, beautifully, melancholy in the moonlight. Standing up, Acacia slung her bag over her shoulder, and ran into the darkness, needing to put as many miles between her and the body as she could.

((Acacia Salinger continued in Fairytale of New York))

B51: ROMAN JACKSON - DECEASED
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

Whirlpool531
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Jojo had sat on a stump for a few minutes now, trying to make sense of everything that happened. By the time he had gotten up, he was left with Alex, some friend of her's, and the body of Roman laying as if he was still sleeping. But he was dead, there was no breaths entering and exiting his body, no signs of a pulse, no reaction as he silently shook the boy he tried so hard to save. He finally understood what she meant when Acacia apologized, she had killed her friend to save him from a more painful and drawn out death.

Tears slid down Jojo's face as he took out his carpentry book from his bag next to the stump and wrote on one of the blank papers inside of it. He just wrote down what he figured had happened, that he was sorry he couldn't protect her brother or her and that he had someone to find, that he had to go, had to make sure he didn't have to do the same for his own friend. He finished the note and taped it on Roman, he had found the first aid kit in the daypack too late to do anything else with it. As he gathered his things and started walking away, Jojo looked back at Roman and the two girls one last time. He wanted to protect Alex, but he couldn't right now. Without Jay being safe in front of his eyes Jojo's worry would cause him to make a mistake that he couldn't afford to make on this island. He looked at the compass he held in his hand and headed east.

((Joss Joiner continued elsewhere.))
Edited by Whirlpool531, Jan 16 2011, 04:55 AM.
V5 Characters

Arscapi
Member Avatar
Anonymous Capybara
[ *  *  *  * ]
Alex rolled over and looked up at the sky with a sigh. She could have sworn shed just fallen asleep, but the lightening of the sky told her otherwise. Alex frowned as she realized that shed been asleep the whole time. Theyd agreed before everyone had gone to sleep that they would switch off the watch. She sat up rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. Jess lay close by still sleeping and Roman lay a few feet from her. However, Acacia and Jojo were now nowhere to be seen.

Excellent choice in friends youve got there dear brother, she thought pushing herself to her feet. She stretched, reaching her hands up above her head, to work some of the kinks out from a night spent on the ground. She looked around once more for Acacia and Jojo and shrugged. Weird.

She glanced back over to Jess and Roman and decided to let them sleep longer, when she noticed something stuck to Romans shirt. She frowned and moved closer, realizing that now that she really looked he didnt seem to be breathing.

Roman, she called quickening her pace. She dropped to her knees beside her brother and knew even before she reached out and gently shook him that he was gone. Tears flowed down her face as she sat back on her heels and stared at his body.

HowHow could you leave me, she asked softly.
V5 characters
Kaliska Day

V4 Characters:

decoy73
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Jason Clarke continued from Revenge is Best Served Cold))

"Hello, everybody. It's day five since I've woken up in this hell hole known as SOTF. I'm starving, I'm miserable, and I'm deathly afraid that I've only got about six seconds to live.

Since I started, I've attempted to join a group, failed utterly, joined another group, blew up at said group, cut a guy's arm off, and got yelled at because I was the last person to be with someone before she decided to leave unannounced. So, yeah, I'm doing just great."

Jason continued through the woods where he had just spoken to a camera. He was hating his life right then: he was essentially hanging on to a group that hated him, he was tired, hungry, and scared, and he hadn't seen anyone to whom he could call a friend in days. Acquaintances, yes. Friends, no. No David, no Kale, no Alex or Roman (well, he and Roman had met, but Jason hadn't partnered up with him - stupid idea if there was one), nobody. He looked around the cleared forest that he was in. Aside from him and the cameras, completely deser ... wait. Jason squinted. About a hundred and fifty yards ahead and to his right was somebody. He strode closer, as quickly and quietly as possible, trying to take a closer look.

Son of a bitch. Jason smiled. He could recognize the blue streaks anywhere. Alex Jackson. If he couldn't partner up with her (or at least not alienate her), he should be shot right there. He strode forward and called out:

"ALEX! OI! Over here!" Jason practically laughed. He looked closer. Roman. Thank you God. "Is everything okay, well, relatively?"
Female #16: Jaime Schanbacher; Status: ACTIVE 0
Female #42: Sabrina Luz; Status: ACTIVE 0

V5 Characters

V4 Characters

Survivor: The Cursed Islands

Mass Effect Mafia - PLAY AND WIN

SOTF Survivor 2 - PLAY AND WIN

Ciel
Member Avatar
"Thats not a prediction, thats a spoiler.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(Thanks for being so patient Arscapi, I'll get back with Jessica. I'm not quite sure what's happening here though.)

The next day was a blur to Jessica. Things just happened, the announcements came on, no sign of Nick. They had stumbled across Roman and Jessica had helped set up for the night. That was about all she could remember. The rest of the memories were foggy and Jessica couldn't pin a thing. Perhaps it was the daze that she felt as she was waking up - it would all come back to her eventually. She sighed and rubbed her eyes. Her mind felt so amazingly empty. At that very moment, not a single thought fluttered. It was all blank. Not a single worry. It felt very peaceful.

She turned her head. The moment she saw Alex... well, she wasn't sure what to make of it. Alex was hovering over her brother. The world was still blurry and Jessica felt it hard to make out what was happening... that was when she realized Alex was crying. Crying? About what? She looked down at Roman. Alex must have not realized that Jessica was up. Jessica rose to her feet, looking down at the form of what used to be Roman. He was just laying there. He was...

Jessica gasped, and suddenly the thoughts came invading.

Alex was crying, so Jessica didn't hesitate. She knew exactly what she wanted to do. She quickly lowered herself and pulled her friend into a hug. An awkward one, but it was firm and comforting. She kept it held, just holding Alex as close as she possibly could. What could she say that would make up for what had just happened? Hell, Jessica didn't even know what happened. She just knew that Roman was dead, Alex was crying and Jessica was the only person around who didn't know.

"...Alex." Jessica said. She wanted to say it would be alright.

She didn't though. She heard a voice that she didn't recognize. She quickly pulled away from Alex.

Jessica froze. Who was this guy? His name was... Jason, right? Why was he screaming so loudly? She quickly went for her rifle, not so much aiming it at him as just pulling it out from behind her. Just in case. Even so her finger steadily wrapped around the trigger, still didn't aim at him. He... didn't mean any harm. Probably. She let out a deep breath, trying her best not to choke up. And she tried her best not to scream at Jason. It didn't matter if it was hard to tell what had happened or whatever, the mere thought that he was taking this so casually made her shrivel up. Like they were back home, and Alex had tripped and fell. It felt so clean, so nostalgic and it made Jessica mad.

"... C-Could you give her a minute?" she put it simply.
V6

G052 - Reed, Jasmine - 0% - Falchion - START END
G060 - Pfeiffer, Scout - 100% - Sawlaska Thunderfuck 5000 - START
G025 - Reyes, Audrey - 0% - Nunchaku - START END

releases greatest hits album, is an one-hit wonder

Arscapi
Member Avatar
Anonymous Capybara
[ *  *  *  * ]
Alex was only vaguely aware of what was going on around her, so it was a surprise when Jessica wrapped her arms around her. Alex let her friend fold her into a hug, sobbing against her friends shoulder.

Heshes gone. Hes really gone. Oneone of them took him from me, she thought as she tried to get her tears under control.

"ALEX! OI! Over here!" Jason practically laughed. "Is everything okay, well, relatively?"

Alex stiffened in the hug and pulled away from Jessica a little. She shook her head as Jasons enthusiastic greeting. He always seemed to have a knack for sticking his foot in his mouth. Hed managed to do it more that once when they were at the bowling alley after prom. Not that Roman had helped things along much. Roman had taken an instant dislike to Jason and they argued about it off and on for the next week.

Roman. Alexs gaze once again drifted to her brothers body and for the first time she noticed the note someone hadhad TAPED to his body.

"... C-Could you give her a minute?" she put it simply.

Alex leaned forward and ripped the note from Romans shirt, balled it up and threw it as hard as she could away from her brother. She stood and looked at her two friends. Im okay. Well no, Im not, but I can function, somewhat. Just bear with me. K, she said rambling, needing to fill the air with words.

If it got quiet shed drift back to Roman and then shed be a sitting duck once more, lost in memories and what ifs. Better to focus on what was going on now. Focus on Jessica, Jason, and Acacia. Acacia would pay for taking her brother from her. Roman had trusted her and shed killed him. Well, if thats how she was going to play this sick game, then Alex was in. And Jojo, she had a few choice words for him as well.
V5 characters
Kaliska Day

V4 Characters:

decoy73
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"... C-Could you give her a minute?" The other girl with Alex requested. What was her name, Jocelyn, Jennifer, no, wait. Jessica. That was it. What was going on ...

"I'm okay. Well no, I'm not, but I can function, somewhat. Just bear with me. 'K," Alex looked at him after shaking her head, and he noticed the tears. Wait, what? What's going on?

"Alex, what happened?" Jason's face fell as his jubilation was suddenly replaced with concern. He noted Roman's form. Funny. Roman should have woken up, what with Jason practically announcing his presence. In fact, as Jason stepped closer to Roman, he noted that Roman's shirt, it was stained red, and when he knelt down, Roman didn't seem to be doing ...

Oh, no. Jason moved back slowly. That's what had happened. Admittedly, Jason and Roman hadn't been on the best of terms, but still ...

"Oh, my ... Alex, I ... I am so sorry." Jason stammered. Now he felt like a right prick. "I'll, I'll just stay right here if you need me." He didn't risk saying anything more. No way was he going to make Alex feel any worse than she did now.

V5 Characters

V4 Characters

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It was as if Jessica had not comforted Alex at all. She really wasn't surprised - it was all understandable, she figured. Roman was... Alex was tormented, that's all that Jessica needed to know. She couldn't truly understand how Alex felt about it. Jessica was an only child after all. She turned to Jason, who seemed to have connected the dots pretty easily... not that there were many dots to connect in the first place.

Maybe... Maybe they wouldn't be alright.

Jessica stayed silent. There was nothing else for her to do at this point. She looked up at Jason, took a step away from Alex and turned away. Maybe it would be best just to leave Alex alone... she needed to be alone. That's what she said right? Bear with her?
V6

Hollyquin
Member Avatar
A friendly clown welcomes you to LOCAH. It seems he would like to be your guide.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
[[Hayley Kelly continued from Make/Break]]

No one can run forever.

Least of all Hayley Kelly.

She did pretty well though, all things considered. She didn't realize until it was way too late that she had no idea what direction she was running in, and that they could easily run afoul of the dangerzone'd Fun Fair. Of course, if their collars started beeping, they'd just turn around and run the other way, yeah? Though running away from mister-trigger-happy meant that turning around probably wasn't a good idea. Besides, passing the infirmary- which she was quite certain was north of the forest- brightened her up a bit. So they were going north.

That's new.

It was a quiet run, if only because running away from a guy with a rifle didn't seem like much of an occasion for chatter. Especially because Hayley didn't particularly want to talk. The obvious thing, the most obvious thing to think would be that she was still coming to terms with what she'd done. Still trying to grasp that she'd killed someone, Skank Jen Romita, with planning (ish) and full intent. Not an accident, not a panicked mistake, not self-defense. Murder.

But no, she was totally aware of that.

She was more trying to come to terms with exactly how few fucks she gave.

I killed someone. Killed someone. Murder, like. Without justification or reason or any of that. Killed someone! Why is this not bothering me? Aren't I supposed to freak out and start crying and be all, OH, KYLE, EMA, I'M SO SORRY, I MADE A TERRIBLE MISTAKE. I'M A HORRIBLE PERSON. YOU SHOULD LEAVE ME. OH, BOO HOO, BOO FUCKING HOO, why am I not doing that? I need to tell them, I know that, I'm not waiting again, fuck! Why don't I feel guilty? That would be normal, am I going crazy out here now? Am I gonna go all, like, Rizzolo on everyone's ass?

Were you particularly normal to begin with?

No. I know. But I didn't. Don't. Kill people.

Yes, you do.

Yes I do. Shut up. Aren't inner voices supposed to give, like, advice and shit. Helpful advice? That doesn't make me wish I could stab my own internal monologue in the head?

This really isn't a monologue, girly, it's a dialogue. Two voices, you know.

Is it still a dialogue if they're both me?

Her inner voice had no answer to that one.

Eventually they stopped running. There hadn't been a gunshot since the first, and unless the boy had been stalking them in silence (unlikely), they'd lost him. And covered quite a distance, it seemed like. Hayley kept walking, but she sighed a loud sigh of obvious relief.

But she still didn't want to talk to them. That was understandable. Just because she wasn't feeling guilty didn't mean they weren't gonna crucify her for it.

She blocked out the awkward silence, and the pressure to speak, by singing. Quietly. To herself.

Wake up on your own, and look around you, cause you're not alone...
Release your high hopes and they'll survive, cause this is the future, and you are alive...

That kind of emphasized the whole crazy thing, actually.

Also, terrible song choice on my part.

She stopped, giggled nervously, why am I giggling that is a terrible reaction to this situation oh god I sound like I'm cracking and let the awkward silence fill the air around the trio with its...awkwardness. Whatever. It was oppressive, oppressive enough to keep anyone from talking.

At least until they ran smack into another group.

Well. Ran smack into wasn't the right what is that? it's not a metaphor, not really a euphemism either, fuck if I know. Anyway, ran smack into implied that they actually collided, or at least that both groups saw the other. What actually happened was Hayley spotted another group in the near distance. Two girls and a boy, apparently freaking out over something. Hayley didn't know and she didn't really want a part in it, so she pulled the other two behind the nearest tree stump (and hell, there were plenty of those to go around) and sat down herself.

"Well," she whispered. "This has been a wonderfully eventful day so far. What should we do? They could be friendly, or, you know, probably not. I mean...it's day five."

It seemed counterproductive speaking now, but as long as they had something to talk about that wasn't the vicious murder of Jen Romita, which Hayley did not give two shits about, all was well in the world. Besides, she had to figure this out. She'd rather know what the other two were thinking before she told them that her outlook on this whole deal had gotten a hell of a lot more brutal in the last few hours.

You could always kill these guys too. They're not any different than Skank Romita.

Guess not.
Edited by Hollyquin, Jan 24 2011, 12:28 PM.
being meguca is suffering

[V5] ALIVE:
[x] Aidan Flynn [B???] // Passing slowly though the vector, damp with fog, the bog that grows the former business sector...
[x] Chitose Saionji [G???] // 公園に千歳は本を読む!

[V5] CONCEPTS:
Winston Evans aced the last English test and would like to point out how gorgeous your shoes are.

Those Who've Known - V4

Chib
Member Avatar
Oh my god you guys The Riz killed Cara what do!?
[ *  *  * ]
[Make/Break --> Ema Ryan]

Whilst running, the opportunity to think presented itself after a while. The immediate danger seemed to have passed, and being followed couldn't be easy; when none of the three of them seemed to know where they were going, how could anyone else figure it out? So Ema started thinking again. The fourth gunshot had definitely been different to the first three, but going by the difference in sounds in Call of Duty, and common sense with regards to the passage of events, Hayley had been the first to shoot. But that wasn't to say she'd instigated the situation, especially considering that the mystery other person apparently had a gun of their own, and probably a bigger, more dangerous-looking one.

She was halfway through wondering if it had been a pre-emptive strike when the trio emerged from the trees, into a vast field of stumps. Ema had been here before, a few days previously, and knew straight away that they must've been going North, not South. Which put them further from the presumed location of Alex and friends.

Before Ema had a chance to catch up to Hayley and Kyle and bring the realisation up, another group came into view. She couldn't tell why, but they seemed to be agitated. Some shouting, a lot of less audible conversation. Hayley came to a stop, using one of the taller stumps for cover. Ema followed her lead, and hid behind a similarly large ex-tree.

"Well, This has been a wonderfully eventful day so far. What should we do? They could be friendly, or, you know, probably not. I mean...it's day five."

Good point. By now, the majority of people would be either out for blood, or expecting everyone else to be. Most of them would've already had a brush with combat, and be wary of anyone that wasn't in their own little group. Just strolling up to them, armed to the teeth as they were with two blades and a handgun, definitely not a great plan.

Getting the jump on them might help. They might have more guns. If not, extra food's always good.

By now, that voice had been meeting less and less objection. Ema certainly agreed with the utility of the idea, if not the morality. She turned to Hayley, replying "I didn't see if they were armed, but... best to play it safe, right? Don't give them a chance or a reason to murder us dead."

That was a vague enough response. Didn't imply she was starting to see other students as sources of supplies and firepower outright, at least. Hayley and Kyle could take from that what they would.
Every time you fall asleep you die. Someone else wakes up in your body, thinking they're you.
You are alone and trapped in your own mind, the world around you is your lie.
Soon you will be nothing, you will never again hear sounds, never again see colours, never again be anyone.

Riley Moon appreciates that Action Needs an Audience, but it's hard not to watch. Hair Status: Bubblegum Pink
Parallel with: The Heavy Weapons Guy

The Past

Arscapi
Member Avatar
Anonymous Capybara
[ *  *  *  * ]
What happened? What happened is, Alex threw her hands up in the air. I dont know what happened. I know that when I went to sleep Roman was alive and there were five of us and when I woke up Jessica and I were here and Roman was, she choked fighting back a sob. So you tell me Jason what happened.

Alex turned and looked back towards Roman and sighed. Her first day on the island shed come across a dead body and wanted to bury it. She would do no less for her brother. Kneeling on to the ground she began digging.
V5 characters
Kaliska Day

V4 Characters:

decoy73
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"What happened? What happened is ... I don't know what happened. I know that when I went to sleep Roman was alive and there were five of us and when I woke up Jessica and I were here and Roman was ... so you tell me Jason what happened."

Fantastic. He made things worse. Jason swore inwardly as Alex started digging. This "trip" had been one disaster after another. As he looked over the scene, he thought he saw someone in the distance, but he couldn't make out if it was actually somebody or just a trick. Jason just shook his head at his, what? Bad timing? Awkwardness? Complete inability to articulate anything inoffensive?

"Alex, I ... I don't know what to say ..." Jason now felt like a genuine prat. He moved towards Jessica. "Welcome to the worst week of our lives," he mumbled.

V5 Characters

V4 Characters

armeggedonCounselor
Member Avatar
D--> I need a towel
[ *  *  *  * ]
((Kyle Portman continued from Make/Break.))

Kyle was mostly silent during the long walk. He noted the direction they were going, and that it wasn't where they wanted to be. More pressing was the gunman behind them. Plus... if he was being honest with himself, he didn't really care about the others they were supposed to be finding.

Which was kinda terrible, but whatever.

So he wasn't surprised when they emerged from the forest and into the clear cut portions of the island. Were he a more sane person, he would probably find the clear cut forest upsetting. Were he a more sane person, of course, he probably would have left Hayley by now. Bonds of affection didn't really matter here, where the question was how well you knew the people you spent every day with. And the answer was always, "Not very well."

The other group was the target of Hayley's recently uttered question. With an objective eye and calm mind, Kyle stared at the other group from behind the stumps.

After Emma's very... safe response, Kyle sighed slightly. "I think we should pick our battles carefully. You're the only one with a ranged weapon worth anything. Then again, from a cursory look, I don't see a firearm among them. It is possible that we could take them."
V5 Character(s)

Hollyquin
Member Avatar
A friendly clown welcomes you to LOCAH. It seems he would like to be your guide.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
"I didn't see if they were armed, but... best to play it safe, right? Don't give them a chance or a reason to murder us dead."

Wait, was Ema...basically agreeing with Hayley's current immorality streak? That was...unexpected, like. She'd kind of been counting on Ema, at least, to be all you know we really shouldn't be shooting people in the face, it's kind of uncool. Somebody had to, yeah? You couldn't have a group of three kids who were all completely okay with face-shooting, that would make them...the bad guys. But we're not the bad guys, I mean, we're high school students! We can't be villains, we're too...I dunno, young. And too awesome. And on Survival of the Fittest. Are there bad guys on Survival of the Fittest? Hayley knew, of course, that the answer to that one was an obvious yes. She'd been watching the show for years, after all. Well...well, whatever. We're still not bad. We're not, like, Maxwell Lombardi status. We're trying to protect each other, right? That's just...logical.

I just want us all to live. I know that's impossible but fuck if I'm not gonna try.

She looked at the three. Didn't recognize any of them, not that that was a surprise. They didn't look like party kids, and with the exception of some outliers (present company definitely included), those were her friends. They seemed distracted. Their mouths were moving, and she could hear voices, but she couldn't make out words. Something was happening. But what?

Does it matter?

It probably didn't, but Hayley was weirdly curious.

"I think we should pick our battles carefully. You're the only one with a ranged weapon worth anything. Then again, from a cursory look, I don't see a firearm among them. It is possible that we could take them."

God, he was so calm about these things. Clinical, almost. It was so hard to keep feeling morally wrong about these things when it was so obvious that her companions were totally with her on this whole "lets just kill people, why not" deal. Well, that was easy for them to feel when they weren't killing people, she supposed. They'd left that burden on her.

Not that you mind.

I should mind, though. I should be pissed, I should be all 'if you really want to kill them, kill them yourself'. But I don't want them to have to kill anyone. Like, I...I dunno, it's not bothering me now, but the first time, I broke down. I don't want them to have to break down. I want them to be safe and happy and all that crap and this is the only way I really know how to do that. With all this blood knight bullshit.

You sure you're not just enjoying this?

Shut up. Okay?

Maybe a little.

She scanned the other three again. Their opposition. Their targets, even. They were students, like her, but that didn't matter. They had families and friends, but that didn't matter. They were people, too, but that didn't matter either. Survival of the Fittest. If I don't know them, I'm not gonna think about them. Pretend it's a video game, yeah? Get a kill streak, all that? Damn, that's cold even for me though...fuck. Well.

"I killed someone back there," she blurted suddenly, unable to contain it anyway longer. "Because she was there and because I wasn't planning on missing the guy she was with. I've killed three people. I'm sure I'm on everyone's hit list right now, and I'm pretty fucking sure the whole wait-and-see-if-they're-friendly thing isn't actually gonna work, you know? Anyone who knows my name is gonna take me down. And, like, I love you two. Both of you. And I don't want to see you die, or get hurt, or any of that. And I know at least two of us are going to eventually, but that's besides the point, cause right now, we don't have to. If you think you'll live longer without me, then go. I'm not gonna make anyone stay with me just because I'm a selfish bitch and just because I'm afraid of being alone, dying alone on this fucking island. If either of you wants to leave after this, leave. But as long as you're with me..."

She paused.

"...I know I've said this before, but. As long as you're with me, I'm not gonna let you die. And I'm not gonna make you kill anyone, either. That's all on my...heart, mind, soul, whatever you want to call it. It's all on me. I'm the girl with the gun. Either way, get ready to run. Whether or not you're coming with me, we might just have to."

Hayley shut up, looked out from behind the tree stump, and took aim.

The boy was probably the biggest threat.

Is that sexist?

Whatever.

And fired.

BANG

BANG

[V5] ALIVE:
[x] Aidan Flynn [B???] // Passing slowly though the vector, damp with fog, the bog that grows the former business sector...

[V5] CONCEPTS:
Winston Evans aced the last English test and would like to point out how gorgeous your shoes are.

Those Who've Known - V4

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(Gmining with permission from Decoy and Arscapi.)

Jessica silently volunteered to keep guard. She didn't support the idea of burying Roman any more than she supported burying Warren. It was just a waste of time and energy. However Jessica kept her mouth shut for the most part. It made her no less of a human to stand guard. Feeling nothing for the dead was not bad, not really. If she were to laugh at them, mocking their deaths with a tiny chuckle then yeah, that wouldn't be right. However, just not showing any remorse for the dead was -

... something was in the distance. Was it an animal? No, couldn't be. It was getting dark but the shadows still formed. It wasn't right. Didn't feel safe. Jessica wasn't sure though. She had to be sure.

That's when she heard it. A voice. The silence that enveloped the Felled Forest had proven to be an advantage, because Jessica could make out a voice from beyond. That was just it. A voice that she could not recognize, but a voice nonetheless. Empty. Without any direction other than "up ahead" What was it saying? Wait, no, she shouldn't be worried about that! Someone was coming up. Jessica took a step to the side and looked around. It took a moment. She spotted the tree stump. There was someone behind it... was there? It was hard to tell, but she could see something pressed up behind it...

Hayley Kelly popped out of her cover, and Jessica knew exactly what was going to happen. She lifted her rifle.

"Guys, you -"

Jessica liked to believe that she was alert. Not many things escaped her. She could hear things from a good distance away. She could just feel when someone was looking at her. It was just genetics at work. She never thought she would have any use for that... but she had proven herself wrong before. What happened next was surprising to her. For the first time in the past few days, despite constant hesitation and indecision, Jessica Pentangeli took charge.

Things slowed down. Everything was clear. It became obvious that there was more than one person back there, but from where Jessica was standing she could only get a clean look at one of them. The advantage from that very spot was that Jason nor Alex could fire back - it was the perfect spot to ambush someone. The disadvantage? Jessica had made a clear line of fire. Distance wasn't that far off, and while the target had some bit of cover, actually popping out from behind a tree stump had pretty much diminished that cover. As Jason fell, as globs of dark blood flew out like an exaggerated fountain, as the recognition of her own impending doom surfaced -

Jessica took that shot. Didn't even hesitate. She thought it would be harder, the first time she actually shot purposefully.

The ringing in her ears was louder but Jessica could simply feel the noise. It was loud, louder than she ever expected. It was a tranq gun but it sounded more like a canon! She kept the gun steady though, she assumed it would meet her intended target. Assumed because Jessica was on the move before she had a chance to check. There was no time to check whether she hit, that was the last thing on her mind.

Her mind ran. Three bags. Two guns - one lethal, one non-lethal. Jessica had one of those guns. Alex had the other. The third bag, the mystery one that Jason had, was flung to the ground when Jason was digging. Provisions. There could be another gun in there for all she knew. Jessica leaped. Her mind was moving at a mile a minute, everything blurred together as she leaped over Jason.

Jessica just realized. She had forgotten about Jason. Maybe he was still -

She looked back but only for a second. Then she swiped the bag up. He was... lost. Nothing she could do.

Bags in tow, Jessica spun around and went to go grab Alex. Alex was still on her knees. Jessica was panicking! Had she not noticed? It happened right in front of her! She looked like she had seen a ghost though. Maybe she was in shock? Jessica quickly ran over - She couldn't let her die, not now, she made a promise to herself goddamn it! They had to forget about Roman! Roman was gone too! There was nothing they could do for him! Didn't she know? Her heart was pounding furiously.

"Alex?!" Her body had a mind of it's own and she moved to grab Alex by the arm. Alex had a pistol but this wasn't the time to be fighting back. Jessica didn't want to fight back, she did all of the retaliating she could manage! "Alex, get up! Come on!"
V6

decoy73
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((GMing of Jessica Pentangeli done with permission from Ciel))

The Taurus PT99 can hold fifteen bullets in the magazine plus one in the chamber. A 9 millimeter round fired from it leaves the muzzle at 1225 feet per second, or about Mach 2.359. Jason didn't know any of that beforehand. The only reason he even had any idea of what happened was when Jessica yelled "Guys, you - ", and the momentary push he felt as he was thrown onto the ground as he heard two deafening cracks, the wind knocked out of him. He tried to speak, but only one word came out as the pain hit:

"Oooowwwww." He looked around. Tried to reach his sword by his right hand. Couldn't do it. Saw the red.

Wait. My shirt is blue. Did I get any blood on me when I cut ... shit. The growing red stain said it all as he looked at his chest. He'd been shot.

"Aaaggh." He grunted. He was done for. Where had it all gone wrong? Had it been when he'd let Evie go? When he'd broken down and cut off Alex's arm? Or had it been just bad luck? Fact of the matter was, it had nothing to do with any of that. It had been a matter of inches and seconds. Just like in Survivor, although that was never going to come for him.

"Bollocks." Crack Didn't feel anything (although that was because it was by Jessica at whomever shot him, so it didn't matter anyway).

"Alex?! Alex, get up! Come on!" Jessica had been able to react. He had to tell Jessica what he had. It wasn't like he had much time left. He couldn't really feel the ground under him.

"Shit. Alex, Jessica. Don't forget the ... sword. It could help. Also, back of map ... listed everyone who's got a kill. Uurgh ... get out of here." Jason wondered whether he could have made any better choices, if he should have looked for Alex from the get-go. Didn't matter. It wasn't going to do anything, unfortunately, there was no damage control for this one. He chuckled to himself as everything went swimmy. She was actually pretty cool. Definitely deserved to win this thing ... okay, not fair. Other than Maxwell Lombardi, Reiko Ishida, Clio Gabriella and Danya, he really thought that everyone in Bayview deserved to win, and they were all pretty good people. "Get out of here, survive this thing, and tell Danya ... to ..." he coughed "... go fuck himself."

And with that, his eyes closed, almost as if going into a nice deep sleep, hoping that Alex and Jessica (okay, and everyone else in the class, no matter how much of a git he had been on the island) would make it out okay, except this time, he wasn't going to wake up ...

The tribe has spoken for

MALE STUDENT #16 - JASON CLARKE: ELIMINATED
165 STUDENTS REMAIN

V5 Characters

V4 Characters

Chib
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
The events that followed were the sort that would usually go in slow motion in a film, with hindsight. But for Ema, in the very centre of it all, everything went terrifyingly fast. Kyle said something to the effect of "We could take them.". Apparently this overrode her own "Play it safe.", as she would soon become very aware of.

First, though, the obligatory dramatic speech. Had Ema realised what it preceded, she'd have done something. She wouldn't have just sat there, listening intently, ignoring the context that should've seemed all too obvious.

"I killed someone back there," Good start, had Ema convinced it was an apologetic confession, not a warning. And, oh god another diatribe. Not much of it went comprehended, though, the tally of three went without saying, then suddenly "And, like, I love you two. Both of you.". The next half of the speech was lost on Ema from that point on, being too hung up on what Hayley had meant by that. She snapped back to reality soon after, to the harsh sound of gunfire. Two shots. Which she would later learn were brutally accurate.

Personal safety took a back seat to shock, and Ema likewise took to her feet, yelling "What in the bloody hell are you doing!?". Then a third gunshot tore through the air. Not realising it wasn't aimed at her, nor how unlikely the dart was to go far enough astray to hit her, she dived to the ground, regretting the lack of awareness instantly.

Ordinarily, she would've panicked, perhaps thrown her sword - dead weight when fleeing from gunfire - aside and fled. Ordinarily she was that easily shaken. But something told her to wait. The trio had cover, one of them had a gun. They didn't have to run away, she didn't have to hide from the danger when it was probably just as afraid of her as she was of it.

The epiphany got dangerously close to "We could win this fight game.", before Ema shook the thoughts from her head, instead, in a more hushed tone than before, asking her companions "Now what?", assuming either was still there...
Every time you fall asleep you die. Someone else wakes up in your body, thinking they're you.
Soon you will be nothing, you will never again hear sounds, never again see colours, never again be anyone.

Riley Moon appreciates that Action Needs an Audience, but it's hard not to watch. Hair Status: Bubblegum Pink

The Past

Arscapi
Member Avatar
Anonymous Capybara
[ *  *  *  * ]
Alex ducked instinctively when the shots rang out and then everything happened at once. Jessica was shouting at her and she knew that she was right, that they should get out of there. She really didnt want to leave Roman, out there in the open like that. Then she glanced over at Jason and watched in horror as his blue shirt started turning red and all the color drained from his face.

Jason, she cried not believing she was about to lose someone else she cared for. She turned to rush towards him when Jessicas voice broke through her scattered thoughts.

With a long last look of regret at her brother, she scooped up Jasons sword and stood.

Leave us alone, she screamed and then twisted her body, the sword held out in front of her, and heaved it at the figures in the distance in one fluid motion. Not bothering to see where it landed, she ran up to Jessica, caught her by the hand, and continued away from this horrible place.

((Alex Jackson continued in Where House? Jessica Pentangeli continued elsewhere))
Edited by Arscapi, Feb 6 2011, 11:45 PM.
V5 characters
Kaliska Day

V4 Characters:

armeggedonCounselor
Member Avatar
D--> I need a towel
[ *  *  *  * ]
Kyle was not surprised by Hayley's news that she had killed somebody back there. It made sense as to why they were running away from someone with a gun. Even less surprising was when she sat up and took aim at the smaller group. Kyle felt terrible about it- they had been three, which was good. Two shots fired, then one returned. Hadn't been expecting return fire.

Now what? Now they wait to see who stayed and who left. Who lived and who died, and then... what their spoils would be. Killing for supplies, for weapons... was it more noble than killing to win? Who knew.
V5 Character(s)

Hollyquin
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
BANG

"JESUS BLOODY CHRIST-"

Hayley saw, at the same moment she was squeezing off another two bullets in the direction of the boy who was going to be dead several seconds later (she figured), one of the girls. Holding a rifle. Pointing it at her. A lot of thoughts went through her mind in that instant, such as they're unarmed my ass and I really maybe should have noticed the big-ass gun and I should think these things through and yeah that was sexist, should've gone for her. Most of her thoughts at that moment, however, were dominated by loud, mostly incomprehensible cursing.

This was perfectly normal.

She hit the ground the moment the second bullet left her gun, praying silently it would be enough.

And it was.

She'd dodged the bullet. Literally. Or more likely, the other girl had missed. Hayley quickly looked at her companions, making sure the projectile hadn't gone off course and hit either of them. But no, they seemed to be fine and not dying. Which was good. She waited a long, silent moment broken eventually by a whispered "Now what?" from Ema, which she didn't answer for another long, silent, increasingly tense moment. Eventually she couldn't help herself any longer. She popped back up, as little as should could, gun at the ready, peeking over the tree stump-

They were gone. The two girls were gone.

A bubble of laughter escaped Hayley's lips, and she could only hope the other two would interpret that for what it was (nerves and relief) rather than what it probably sounded like (psychosis). But really- she'd been in a battle of life and death and survived. Came out victorious, even. 1-0, right? Victory was clean-sounding and appealing and good and she'd achieved it. She couldn't help but feel a weight lift off of her, and a dreamy sort of happiness settle in. She tried to shake it off- she wasn't supposed to be happy about this, it was supposed to be a necessary evil and she should feel guilty guilty guilty- but the adrenaline rush (or at least she'd blame it on the adrenaline rush) was keeping a smile on her face. She turned to give Ema an overdue reply.

"Well, girly. Now I think it's time to see what's left."

She stood, stretching dramatically because why not, and strolled over towards the scene of the crime, pausing for a moment to notice a dart sticking out of the trunk they'd been hiding behind. The fuck is this...a tranquilizer? So I wouldn't have died even if she had hit me...heh. Bugging out over nothing as usual, Hayley Kelly, As she continued to walk she noticed something on the ground, metal shining in the sunlight. What are you, then...huh.

Hayley picked it up, examining it from all angles. It was...a sword. A really weird sword. A hook sword.

Oh fuck, that is too cool! Why's there only one, aren't these things supposed to come in pairs? Like, we could do some massive Jet and the Freedom Fighters shit right now if I had another one...

Keeping the sword in hand, she made her way over to the body. She looked down at him- it. It, the corpse, whatever. Yup, dead all right. She wrinkled her nose a bit- this wasn't pretty, though she was getting a bit desensitized at this point- and then looked pointedly away. If she looked for too long she was liable to feel guilty and I kind of wish I did feel guilty but at the same time I really don't want to because that's gonna make my life on this island really difficult...ah, hell. She moved her eyes to the area around the body instead, looking for supplies, bags, whatever the fleeing pair had left behind, and she found...absolutely shit-all.

"Ah, fuck," she cursed, though good humor still infused her voice. "They must've taken everything. Ah, well, you know, none of us have eaten much, we should be fine on supplies for a while. The only thing I really need restocking on is cigarettes..." Just talking about it made her stomach rumble. She took a moment to take a quick swig from her water bottle and realized that she could probably do for a refill of water too. I'll figure it out. No big deal. "This sword's pretty sweet, though. Better than a knife," she said, looking at Kyle.

Of course, the deal right now was she kinda had to face the music.

Hayley faced the other two. Took a deep breath.

Hope this works.

"So. Sorry I didn't...discuss this with you guys ahead of time. I just feel like it's time to face the music, you know? It's day 5. There's a ton of killers out there and I don't know who most of them are. Better safe than sorry. Play to win. Insert another obvious cliche here, yeah? I think we can do this, I really do. I mean, yeah, later'll be an issue, but we can think of that we're not dead at endgame, right? We're three attractive, intelligent, and well-armed teenagers! We're perfect. Everyone else, at this point, is kind of...obstacle-ish. If that makes sense. I know I probably sound like I'm at least a little insane right now but dammit, Survival of the Fittest calls for temporary insanity sometimes.

In the real world, this is insanity. In Survival of the Fittest...it's playing to win."

[V5] ALIVE:

[V5] CONCEPTS:

Those Who've Known - V4

Chib
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
...what a strange time to be laughing. What would anyone have to laugh about in the middle of a firefight, unless they were, to quote a certain Percival Cox, coo-coo pants. Or maybe the targets had fled or something. That would make more sense, Ema was pretty sure Hayley hadn't gone off the deep end just yet.

Turns out hitting the proverbial dirt - more like grass and sawdust really, but that's a digression - was a waste of time, because just as soon as the one with the rifle returned fire, a mere single shot, she and her still-standing friend scarpered, leaving the downed boy where he lay. Ema assumed from that that he was either dead, or irredeemably about to be.

So why did that seem comforting to her? She told herself it was because it meant he didn't suffer, or at least not for long. She wasn't sure it was true, though.

"Well, girly. Now I think it's time to see what's left."

But of course, to the victor go the spoils, and all that jazz. Doubtful they'd leave anything dangerous behind for the probably-deranged-in-their-eyes Hayley to grab, but there might be extra food or water if they'd neglected to grab the boy's daypack. Ema took a few moments to straighten herself up, still residually cautious about showing her head above the treestump, and followed behind Hayley and Kyle to see what loot they'd be raking in.

"Ah, fuck,"

Nothing good, then. Just a weird-shaped sword.

"They must've taken everything. Ah, well, you know, none of us have eaten much, we should be fine on supplies for a while. The only thing I really need restocking on is cigarettes..."

Ema shook her head, bringing an open palm to her face, but didn't say anything. Of all the times to be addicted to anything, it had to be here and now.

"This sword's pretty sweet, though. Better than a knife,"

Made sense, Kyle gets first refusal when all he has is a knife, compared to a big-ass scimitar-kinda-thing and a handgun. Though, switching for something that looked a lot lighter and easier to handle did appeal. Still, Ema didn't mention it. She felt like mentioning "What the actual fuck, why did you just start shooting?", but she didn't do that either.

Helpfully enough, Hayley felt like bringing the subject up herself.

Now maybe she was easily lead on, and somewhat aware of the fact, but the more the other girl spoke, the more Ema found herself agreeing, ceasing to argue with the voice of... brutal reason? that had been telling her the same thing the whole time. The flattery and optimistic phrasing certainly helped, too. That small, seemingly-reasonable, voice still argued, though. "It's still murder, you can't just justify that by some warped Nuremburg Defence." "And what other options are there, then? Lay down and die? In winning, the deaths get to be for something, they get to be for me going home!"

And Ema was moderately sure the winners met Danya at the end, even if it ended in failure, taking a run at him was a rather appealing prospect. If only to say she'd tried.

The problem, of course, was responding. In her lost-in-thoughts few seconds, the expressions running across her face had been on autopilot, showing plenty of half-agreement, half-conflict. It was probably clear she was in agreement on some level, and decrying Hayley as an uncaring monster on another. Time to pick a side and articulate the decision.

"I, eh..."

Ema instantly regretted speaking up first, and not waiting to let Kyle say something. Taking his lead would have been a hell of a lot easier to do. Taking his lead would've been cheap and cowardly, too.

"You're... you're right. If we just roll over and die now, everyone that's died so far, it's been for nothing, right? Sure whoever survives longest deserves to go home, but... that whoever should be one of us, someone who's at least given it thought, and regretted it, and... and isn't just some axe-crazy whacko, right?"

So many "right?"s, so much hoping for reassurance. Ema hoped she didn't come off as indecisive, or a liability at worst. She never had been great at speeches, and that had probably been the longest thing she'd said uninterrupted for the last five days.

She just wanted to get home. And if that wasn't possible, she wanted it to be someone that deserved it, in more than just a survival context.

The Past

Hollyquin
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
[[OOC: Skipping Dete with permission, to get this thread rolling and such.]]

"You're... you're right. If we just roll over and die now, everyone that's died so far, it's been for nothing, right? Sure whoever survives longest deserves to go home, but... that whoever should be one of us, someone who's at least given it thought, and regretted it, and... and isn't just some axe-crazy whacko, right?"

Those were literally the most beautiful words Hayley Kelly had ever heard in her entire life ever. Well, not literally, since she'd heard better things before, probably, and not literally because words couldn't really be beautiful, but they sort of could, like if you were a writer or whatever, but none of that mattered right now because the point was, her ex-girlfriend best friend wasn't about to crucify her. Hayley loved those moments where she wasn't being crucified, they were colorful and warm and full of awkward UST, or at least that was her life right now, here on Survival of the Fittest.

Hayley's brain was a confusing place.

...Anyways.

"Exactament! Oh, Ema, honeybee, thank you thank you thank you, I could just about kiss you right now-" Wait, that was actually the worst thing she could have possibly said and all three of them knew it. She stopped dead hah, not yet thank you mid-thought and started over. "Or not. Anyway, I'm just...glad you see my point, yeah? I mean, I've killed four people. Four. People have gotten the death penalty for less. If I die now, what was the point of any of that, really? I'm just trying to get home- or get one of us home, at least," she added hastily, realizing how bad that sounded on its own. "There's just no real non-shitty options here, unfortch. Nothing much I can do about that..."

She shrugged and looked back down at the body, not waiting for Kyle's response. After all, she wasn't worried about him. He was more worried about the danger they were putting themselves in by having her as a named killer than at her actually being a killer, and the cat was well out of that particular bag. And he was still here. Hayley let the warm fuzzies take her over for a moment- I know such amazing people though. Sticking with me through all of this...- before allowing them to dissipate for good. Looking at the body helped with that. Flies were beginning to land already. Ewh. And...what was that?

Another body. Oh, joy. She hadn't spotted him before, given that he'd already been dead, but now that she was noticing the flies, they were landing one this one too. Apparently the girls she'd chased off were killers themselves, or maybe the boy she'd just killed was. That made her feel at least a little better, not that she was having much of a guilt problem.

"So, we ought to get out of here, yeah? It's gonna be dark pretty soon," Hayley said, nodding towards the sun, which was dipping towards the west- she'd estimate it was 5 PM or so. "I don't really want to sleep here with dead boys Senior and Junior, in all honesty."
Edited by Hollyquin, Feb 6 2011, 04:03 AM.

[V5] ALIVE:

[V5] CONCEPTS:

Those Who've Known - V4

Chib
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
"Exactament! Oh, Ema, honeybee, thank you thank you thank you, I could just about kiss you right now-"

Ema was taken aback, and automatically pulled a rather quizzical face at the overboard response. After all, she'd said what she'd said because it was the best way to save her own skin. All the time she'd been travelling with Hayley and Kyle, she'd not received a single injury, despite the string of fatal confrontations they'd been involved in. Then again, Hayley herself wasn't to know that. And it wasn't entirely untrue to say she had more than just practical reasons to stick around, and the "kiss you" part certainly appealed to those reasons.

"Oh just admit it to yourself, the original reason you stuck around was 'cause you still want her."

It was at about that point in her train of thought that Ema realised Hayley was still talking. She'd gone off on a tangent, again, so the most important part was probably still to come. Hopefully. She remembered that she still had that unusual expression on her face, corrected to a more neutral look, and paid attention.

"or get one of us home, at least,"
"There's just no real non-shitty options here, unfortch. Nothing much I can do about that..."

As much as it all basically added up to the Nuremburg defense, Ema couldn't argue, it was a position she'd recently taken herself. Just following orders from your survival instinct is a pretty legitimate reason to do anything, and in the history of SotF, none of the winners had ever been held responsible for what they'd done. They were pitied, seen as victims of circumstance. And Ema knew why, now that she'd been forced to agree that kill or be killed was the only winning mentality, first hand.

Again, Ema was forced to stop herself mid-thoughts and pay attention to what was going on around her. She could argue she was safe, for the moment, but spacing out wasn't a habit she wanted to fall into. She looked around. Kyle seemed rather placid, Hayley was investigating the corpse...s, upon closer inspection, there was a second, which had apparently been there the whole time. Made attacking the other group feel retroactively like less of a bad thing to do.

"So, we ought to get out of here, yeah? It's gonna be dark pretty soon, I don't really want to sleep here with dead boys Senior and Junior, in all honesty."

Good point. The sun was going down, and the two bodies would start to smell awful pretty soon. Better to head somewhere nice and secluded, and rest up for yet another day of defying death.

"Yeah, we should really get a move on."

Beat.

"God, this is really our life now, isn't it?"

Wait, did she say that out loud? Oh well.

[When we roll out, feel free to GM Ema leaving too, whoever posts last, so I don't have to make a crappy short post for it.]

The Past

armeggedonCounselor
Member Avatar
D--> I need a towel
[ *  *  *  * ]
((Apologies for the tardiness of this post.))

Kyle barely gave the dead boy a glance. He didn't matter, really. Just one less person between them and victory, right?

Right.

More interesting was the other dead boy. This one was older- covered in flies, although it hadn't started to rot yet.

He turned away from it, to look at Hayley. She was talking about how happy she was that Ema had decided that killing was the only way to survive. Good for her, he supposed. Also, she said they should probably leave, and find someplace to bed down.

"Agreed. It's getting late, and we shouldn't sleep out in the open. What if it rained?"
Edited by armeggedonCounselor, Feb 6 2011, 08:58 PM.
V5 Character(s)

Hollyquin
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
[[OOC: crappy short exit post go]]

Hayley lost Kyle's words- neutral, non-threatening words, words she didn't need to worry about- in light of Ema's near-unconscious observation.

"God, this is really our life now, isn't it?"

Seems that way.

Hayley began to walk, her gun, dearest Vera hanging loosely in her grasp. This was her life. She was the girl with the gun. She'd killed four people. Two with this gun and two with the wicked-ass sword sitting in Ema's hand. She was wandering around on this island with the two people who, under other circumstances, she'd most want naked and on top of her, only instead of trying to fuck them she was trying to get them to be...not dead. Not that I'd mind the former...

This was her life.

It was getting kind of old.

With a quick look at Ema and Kyle, making sure they were following her, she began to walk into the setting sun.

Oh, Maddy...Alex. Where are you...?

[[Hayley Kelly, Ema Ryan and Kyle Portman continued in Without Love, It Cannot Be Seen]]

[[END OF THREAD]]
Edited by Hollyquin, Feb 9 2011, 03:49 PM.

[V5] ALIVE:

[V5] CONCEPTS:

Those Who've Known - V4

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Register Now
« Previous Topic · The Felled Forest: South · Next Topic »
Add Reply