Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Selfish
Topic Started: Dec 4 2010, 01:51 PM (3,489 Views)
Casey the Undead
Member Avatar
Let's go where eagles dare
[ *  *  * ]
((Rena Peters, continued from It Knows Nothing of Whim))

The farther and farther she got from the tunnels, the less real everything seemed. Rena wasn't sure how long she'd been running, but her feet had stopped hurting a while back, even if her lungs still burned. She had stopped once to swallow some water, but since then had been keeping a steady pace in...whatever direction it was she was going in. She wasn't going to stop until she absolutely had too, until the tunnels were nothing but a hazy memory.

If she didn't look down at her feet, it was like she really had only stepped in water.

That'snotwater.

There was an unfortunate downside to not looking at her feet, however, which Rena became aware of when she kicked a tree stump, flipping over it in the process. Her face skidded along the dirt, and pain flared in her cheek, before it was overtaking by the throbbing of her feet, lungs, and throat. She pushed herself up, warily, her head spinning slightly from dehydration. Her fingers fumbled around her pack for a minute, trying to find out how she could reach the water inside of it.

It was then that she realized that she was not, in fact, alone.

She glanced up at the two other boys. Her head was still spinning, making it rather hard to distinguish who they were. "Uh...hey." Her voice cracked. She tried to swallow, but it just made the the pain in her throat explode. Water. Need water. Need water-

Her eyes caught something else. The color drained from Rena's face.

This boy still looked like a boy. She couldn't decide if that was worse or better.

It poured out of his skull, flooding the ground next to him. The same thing she'd been running from had wound up where she'd stopped.

"It's following me."

Rena squeezed her eyes shut. It's not real. It's not real. You're seeing things Rena. It's not real.

She didn't dare open her eyes. If she couldn't see it, then it wasn't there.

"It's just a game. It's not real. None of it's real."
It's hard to get ahead when half your friends are dead!

V4 Characters:

V5 Characters
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Casey the Undead
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Rena kept her eyes closed for as long as she could, barely registering the other voice. He was explaining something to her. Did...did he kill that kid?

What kid? There isn't a kid. It's not real. It can't be-

BEEP

Her eyes flew open, and she jolted slightly from the sudden noise. It had come from...her neck? What?

Rena looked at the boy who was nearest to her, wondering if he had an answer, and then to the other one, who didn't seem to really be interested in her sudden arrival at all.

Her heart picked up pace as the announcements continued. He was blowing collars. Because of Liz...Liz. God, did Rena know Liz? Or Alex Rasputin? Wasn't he a killer? Why couldn't she remember?

Or better, why couldn't she forget? Why couldn't she just pretend that there were no announcements. That the boy in the tunnels, that the boy here were just...figments of her imagination? Why did it have to be real?

The boy who'd been talking to her was yelling. He knew them. He must have. She slammed her eyes shut. Not real. Not real. Not real. Make it go away.

She opened them again, turning to the boys. What was she doing? Crying? Again? Was that all she was capable of? I cried in the library. I cried when I got..when I got shot. I cried in the tunnels, I'm crying now. No. Crying isn't going to make it go away. Nothing will. It's real.

She took a shuddering breath.

Ridley. Raine. They tried to help me. They tried to help me and I ran away. They could be dying now, for all I know. They helped me and I ran.

The other boy didn't seem to be helping either. My whole life, people have been trying to help me, and I've just freaked out and cried. It's time I repaid the favor, isn't it?

She pushed herself off the ground, staggering slightly. She knew that she probably would be crying again by the next day. But right now, it didn't matter. She had made a decision, and she was going to stick to it for however long she could.

"Uh...excuse me? Sir?" She walked towards the boy who'd been talking to her, cautiously. "I...I'm sorry." Awkwardly, she put a hand on his shoulder. "Thank you...for asking about me, I mean. I'm fine. I...were they your friends?"

She paused. No wonder I've never helped people before. I'm terrible at it.

"I'm Rena. And I'm kinda useless." She laughed, somewhat bitterly and weakly. "But, uh...if you want to talk...I can listen."

She nodded, turning to face the other boy. "So...who are you two?"

Her eye caught the dead boy again. She shuddered.

"And...what happened?"
Edited by Casey the Undead, Dec 30 2010, 06:17 PM.

V4 Characters:

V5 Characters

Casey the Undead
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Garry. Garry and Sunil. Rena wished she could say that she knew them from around school, but really she was coming up blank. It was beside the point anyways, considering the circumstances. For one, she agreed with Garry wholeheartedly that Danya was a bastard, despite the fact that the collars detonated had only happened on the announcements to her. She did not recognize the names, was not sure of the faces- as far as she was concerned, they barely existed at all.

Which didn't change the fact that they were dead. They were somebody's sons, someone's friends. Garry's friends.

No matter how long she stayed around death, she still had no idea how to deal with it.

This had the upsetting side effect of her not knowing how to deal with killers, one of whom she was now standing next too. The issue was that Rena always expected killers to be like the villains in old movies and cartoons. Crazy, ugly, hunched over people with twirling mustaches and diabolical laughter. People who captured damsels in distress and tied them to railroad tracks. She always thought it would be easy to sort the good from the bad.

But Garry was a killer. And he didn't really seem all that evil. Which was really frustrating, really, because Rena both wanted to trust him and was afraid of trusting him all at the same time.

But he said it was self defense. And it wasn't like the body, which she still refused to look at for fear of vomiting yet again, was...gross or anything. At least, what she glanced at wasn't too bad. Except for the blood thing. But even that wasn't enough to make her faint.

Maybe I'm just getting used to it.

Rena, doing what she did best and shoving that thought aside, turned her attention to the other boy, who'd said nothing but his name since she showed up. Sunil. He wasn't being very helpful, but he looked harmless enough.

She glanced back and forth between the two boys for a minute, doing her best to keep the dead one out of her sights. She took a deep breath, making up her mind. She needed people to help her. People who she could trust. Right now, the only other people she could trust where...somewhere. She didn't even know if they bothered following her. She didn't even know if they were okay.

She swallowed, trying to fight back the threatening tears. No more tears. Time to figure this out.

"Okay. I...I believe you, Garry. I mean...about the...you know." Don'tlookdon'tlookdon'tlookdon'tlook.

"I...uh...I guess what I'm trying to say, not to sound rude or anything, is that I'm not really comfortable being this near a de-" She croaked slightly on the world, swallowing before continuing on. "Dead body."

She breathed slightly.

"But it's nice to meet you?"
Edited by Casey the Undead, Jan 3 2011, 07:15 PM.

V4 Characters:

V5 Characters

Casey the Undead
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Garry and Sunil were in the same mindset, it seemed, neither wanting to be around the boy any longer. Garry moved out first, adding that if they didn't want to follow him, they didn't have too. Sunil grabbed his bag and moved next, only he motioned for her to follow.

And now came the decision that Rena was incredibly terrible at making. Stay or go? She'd followed Ridley practically across the whole island, looking for Raine, and then, suddenly, she'd left. She still hadn't really figured through that in her head, but at the time the idea of running seemed so...natural, that she just followed it.

Following Ridley had seemed natural too. It'd seemed right. Finding Raine, even leaving them with the body in the tunnels, it had all seemed to be the smart choice at the time.

And right now it felt right to follow Garry and Sunil.

She followed Sunil, idly wondering where they were going, and truly wondering if she would regret the choices she made later. Or if it really mattered if she did.

((Rena Peters continued elsewhere.))

V4 Characters:

V5 Characters

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Register for Free
« Previous Topic · The Felled Forest: North · Next Topic »
Add Reply