Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Lord's Mercy; private!
Topic Started: Nov 29 2010, 12:43 AM (2,373 Views)
xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
((Maddy Stone continued from These Three Remain))

Naoko Raidon had just killed somebody. She'd been watching. He had stamped on the girl's inhaler as she died from an asthma attack, and then, as she lay dying anyway, shot her at close range. From behind a rock that struck jagged against the orange sky she'd had a clear view of what was going on, able to see even if she was too far away to hear. Anger was bubbling inside her. She hadn't known Allie well, they shared a class or two, but Maddy had always considered her to be a nice person, a good person. More specifically, she knew her as someone alive. You arrogant-

Maddy stood up, exposing herself to him. She was ankle deep in slushy sand but didn't really care. Also, she was unarmed. Things were starting to blur, she couldn't remember losing them, only she was fairly certain that they were in the Swamp somewhere, seeing as that was the only structure she had passed between there and here. At about four o clock she had come upon the spot she had woken up in. It was amazing, really that she had recognised it, she probably wouldn't have if it weren't for the random belongings scattered around that she hadn't even noticed were missing, even before she went crazy. Three hair elastics that she knew were hers, a bracelet sating F.R.O.G on it that she picked up and dropped purposely four times before slipping it back in her pocket; whatever her letter to Peter might say she wasn't entirely sure. But she was comforting herself with the fact that she wasn't entirely sane either.

Also in the muddy ungrowth was her camera. It had been fairly top of the range in it's prime, but was four years old and an outdated model. She'd been planning to recieve a new one for her birthday the forthcoming September. Which was probably not going to happen now. It had been hard, but Maddy felt that she was finally coming to terms with her own imminent death, unless by some stroke of luck she managed to hide. But she would be smoked out, that was how this game worked. The first couple of days, when she'd hung around with people and had conversations, she had learnt all this. Little tips on keeping yourself alive. And the people that had given her them were dropping like flies. Jackie was dead. Gun wielding Daniel Blessing was dead. The actions of Rachel meant that several more people were dead. They were all having an effect. And she was hiding behind rocks, glaring at Raidon.

Technically, she knew he hadn't hurt her. It wasn't him that had killed Charles. And yet, somehow, she blamed him. He had caused the gradual downward spiral that brought her here now. And he had to pay. Suddenly, as adrenaline coursed through her, she ran at him.

He was only about ten metres away from her. She ran from the inland side, her fists bared, hair flying out around her, a slight look of insanity in her eyes. Behind Raidon was the wide open sea, against which the sun was setting furiously, blazing orange in the sky. The sea was no longer flecked with diamonds; it was flecked with gold. Maddy had barely a second to reflect on this before she had reached him, grabbing the gun from his hands and throwing it away to one side, far enough away that neither of them could realistically grab it. This is going down bareknuckle. I want you to feel the pain that I feel, I want to see you die. I want to see the light leave your eyes. A great big bushy beard!

"You didn't. Even. Know. Her." Maddy said confidantly, even though really she had no idea. She needed a weapon, she realised all of a sudden. He was so much stronger than her. Fumbling in her pockets, she found something that had lain forgotten for the past four days. Her rosary. Pulling it out, the deep yellow light bounced off it, she didn't think it had ever looked so beautiful. In a split second, she made the decision, and looped the chain over his neck.

Coming to stand behind him, she pulled tighter, all inhibitions lost. The string of beads, alternating cut class, blue turquoise and deep brown wooden, were constricting around his neck. Maddy squeezed her eyes shut; her heart was pounding in her chest and tears began to seep from the corners of her eyes. The magnitude of what she was doing began to dawn on her, and she began to pray.
"The lord is my shephard, I shall not want. He maketh me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters." In the blackness that her closed eyes brought her, Maddy could feel herself floating away. Her own voice seemed distant, but the prayer was loud. "He leads me in the right paths for His name's sake."
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

shiny shiny V5 concepts (now with clickies)
Phoebe Cho - I shall be playing Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor. Wizard!
Harry Hanley - I've got Hershey's at half price today! Get 'em quick before I have rehearsal!
Lor Van Diepen - I'm gonna make a video later. About running. Does that sum me up enough?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
He was weakening. The struggles were getting fainter, fewer and farther between. She was winning, against all odds. She was going to get her revenge for whatever it was he had done. Still she murmured the Lord's Prayer out loud, unaware that the same thought was going through Raidon's head. It was pertinent, and suddenly she had a craving for the green pastures of Minnesota. For the fields and little farms that you could see out the window whenever you flew over America. She always thought it looked like the entire country was made from arable land, cows dotted about the place like dolls. All the people in those little toy ranches; real people who were alive, who weren't strangling their classmates to death in the Lord's mercy.

I wish I was one of them.

The sun glowed off her cheeks; it was still warm, almost gone now. Just a sliver remained above the horizon, an ending to another day. Maddy watched the sunset, weeping freely now for everything that she had lost. For Charles, for maybe Peter, for America, for Minnesota, for Saint Paul. For Bayview, her home, Church, ice rink. All the places she spent time, and all the places she might never see again.

"And I shall dwell in the house of the Lord the whole night long."

Security and eternity.

There was a brief second of silence, when it seemed that everything was coming to an end. Nothing but the waves, crashing against the shore. She could almost be alone. Standing solo on His planet, absorbing the beauty that He had created. It was peaceful. The struggle was almost over.

Then the beads snapped.

Raidon fell away from her and she fell in the opposite direction, landing flat on her back. Was that the end? She looked up at the sky; the first few stars were beginning to appear. If she knew what they were, perhaps that would help the relevant authorities to find them. But as she glanced over and saw that Raidon wasn't actually quite dead yet, she realised with a sinking heart that even if they came tomorrow, it might be too late. The stars smiled at her.

You know, they call Machete in some parts of the island. They fear me.

"Amen," she murmured, closing her eyes.
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

Phoebe Cho - I shall be playing Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor. Wizard!
Harry Hanley - I've got Hershey's at half price today! Get 'em quick before I have rehearsal!
Lor Van Diepen - I'm gonna make a video later. About running. Does that sum me up enough?

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
A shot ripped through her ankle. This isn't happening. Her heart stopped beating for a second, and her brain switched off, yet she could hear herself moaning from far away. Her mind was a cavern, and the world was locked outside of it. But inside the cavern there was fire, a fire that threatened to eat her alive the second she acknowledged it. Which after a few seconds she did.

Then she screamed. Louder and harder than she had ever screamed in her life, more than she believed that she could. It was a cry of pain, of loneliness, and of utter incapability to do anything. She felt helpless, worthless.

He murmured something. Something that sounded like a... prayer? Damn. You. Damn you to hell.

Then he shot into her other ankle. For the first time in her life Maddy appreciated the metaphor that was 'blinding' pain, it tore through her system, coming in pounding waves that hit her every time even more acutely. She wanted to die, there and then, and it was several seconds before she realised that she was screaming. There has to be someone nearby, someone that can help. Pleading with God for her life. If only she could survive this, she would go to Church every day, including on a Saturday. She would go and help that Liz kid who had a death sentence on her head, even if it was at cost to her own life. Anything to make the suffering stop. Please.

She had to get away from him. He was the one causing it. Turning with great effort to one side, she began to crawl away. It was futile, she screamed as sand got into her wounds and tore through her blood. Within seconds he was on to her, kicking her back over until she was staring again at the steadily darkening sky. The sun was almost gone now. She struggled against him, determined to survive. I will break free! Still she screamed; the swampland wasn't far away, surely there was someone around to hear her. Someone who might be her saviour.

He straddled her then, a knee pinning each arm to the ground. Closer to him than she had ever been to any guy before. She could smell him, and it threatened her perhaps more than the gun in his hand did. A shot in each wrist. Somehow, pinned, she felt simultaneously closer to the situation and far away, she couldn't quite bring herself to accept that it was real. That this was real. That she was really going to- I can't even think it...

The pain was her whole world. Nothing existed but it. It was the fire in her cavern, but it had engulfed her in it's grip and was refusing to let go. There was nothing she could do. She was utterly helpless in every sense of the world. Forcing her eyes open, she was just in time to see him point the gun again, this time towards her abdomen. He barely flinched as he pulled the trigger, saying something that she was too far away from to hear. Too far away from to feel.

It wasn't so much that she was numb. She could feel the bullet pierce her abdominal wall, pierce the soft organs underneath that were never supposed to be exposed to the harsh air. It was cold, so cold, but pain was a sensation that was too far gone. It required a higher sense to perceive, it required the ability to think, and that was something she had lost when she'd lost her hand.

Coughing, some frothy blood came up with it, slowly meandering down a cheek that was already stained with tears. On the second cough she managed to retain enough in her mouth that she was able to spit it at him. The effort cost her a lot of energy, for all she knew that was minutes from her life, and as she fell back, her breathing shallow, her eyes fell closed and she didn't even know if the blood had touched him.

There was a shuffling noise, and Maddy became slowly aware that she had been released. She could get up and run. Perhaps someone would help her to live, they would put pressure on her wounds and the US Army would parachute in seconds later. She would be airlifted to an island hospital, and island closer to them than any of them would have thought. The top surgeons there would stick her back together, she would learn to use prostheses. And she would spend the rest of her life in God's service.

Madison Rose Stone opened her eyes.

Still he was the only one around. He watched her, waiting for her to die. She had to get a message out, she had to let her parents know that she was okay. That she was going to be with their Lord now, and that she would see them there. Her head turning to one side, tears drying on her face leaving it crusty and old, she tried to make eye contact with a camera, knowing that they were on the other side of it. Someone would have told them that their daughter was dying and someone would have made them watch. Knowing that they were there made her feel safe. Thousands of miles away, but they were going to be with her as she passed away.

"Tell Peter I'm sorry." she said in strangled breath. "No, give him this," she remembered the letter. Indicating her left jeans pocket with her bleeding stub of an arm, hand hanging off it loosely attached by a few splinters of skin and muscle. A few drops of blood found their way onto the paper. "Please," she said pleadingly. "Please give it to him."

He has no reason to give Peter your letter. As if he would care.

Why had the rosary beads snapped. Naturally, the string wasn't strong enough, but why had they snapped right then. Just as he was about to die. Just as the cards were turning ever more strongly in her favour, he had to go and draw a royal flush. But surely; surely her Lord hadn't abadoned her at this late hour, after so many years of love and service. She had, despite occasional rebellion, been a good Catholic. Were eighteen years of loyal faith going to be turned by two days of doubt and the seeds that doubt planted?

As I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep.

God didn't want me to die a killer. She closed her eyes for the very last time.

If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

The last splinter of sun sank below the watery horizon.

G033 - Maddy "Machete" Stone - DECEASED
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Key · Next Topic »
Add Reply