Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Gods Hate Us; Celeste's Death
Topic Started: Nov 25 2010, 11:57 PM (3,279 Views)
selphie_trabia
The faceless fear
[ *  *  * ]
((Meredith continued from http://s10.zetaboards.com/SOTF_V2/topic/7298468/3/))

A day had passed since Meredith took her bath in the stream and when she'd had her moment with Thea and Evie. The rest of that day seemed rather dull and hazy in comparison.

She returned to the mirror house to get some fresh clothing. More importantly, she'd picked up one of the longer shards of mirror and wrapped the base with one of her shirts to form a shiv. She'd tested the edge with her fingers and it had sliced through her skin quite neatly. As soon as she was done, she'd realised that she had no bread or water and no way to replenish them. She headed for the tunnels soon after, seeing them as a way to keep out of sun, and had spent the rest of the day sleeping. She hadn't gone far into them, since she didn't want to get lost.

She was awake now and thinking through the day's events. Even now, she still wasn't quite sure what had happened between her and Evie. She remembered hitting Thea with the baton, remembering how good it felt that for once in her life, all eyes were on her and nobody else.

Was she evil?

The beast wanted to eat. It had made a game to get its food. Feeding the beast had felt so good. She'd never experienced a rush quite like that before.

Was she evil?

Meredith wasn't sure. She felt a little guilty that she didn't feel guilty at all. Thea deserved to be hit. Hitting Thea had made her smile. Hitting Thea felt right.

Was she evil?

Meredith didn't have an answer, but she wanted to feel that beautiful feeling again. Besides, she wouldn't be evil if the person getting hit this time fully deserved it just like Sofia, Evie and Thea did.

Somewhere further down the tunnels, she heard a voice call out for someone. She recognised it. Celete Beaumont.

Meredith grinned and walked towards the source of the sound, her weapon at the ready.
Edited by selphie_trabia, Nov 28 2010, 07:06 AM.
Old v4 player.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

selphie_trabia
The faceless fear
[ *  *  * ]
Meredith sidled forward until she could see Celeste's outline in the darkness. She'd been walking in a straight line from where she was and her eyes had adjusted to the dark somewhat. She wouldn't have a problem exiting the tunnels later, she thought.

She shuddered, holding her baton in front of her, her shiv neatly tucked away in some part of the jacket for now, point down so that she could grab it by the hilt. Not that she cared if she cut her fingers on it if she had to use it. It wasn't so sharp that it would slice anything open without a proper slicing motion anyway - she'd tested it on some of her other clothes first.

Still, she didn't want to be evil. Maybe this girl would actually do the right thing for once. Maybe she'd write in the notebook. Then, Meredith wouldn't have to kill her. She reached into another pocket with her left hand, pulling out the ring-bound "Sandman's death" notebook and holding it out in front of her.

"Welcome. I am Pandora Black. I've been trying to keep the records of the beast's game. Would you, perhaps, like to write a letter home?" she said, a faint smile on her face.

She held the book out in front of her, pushing it towards Celeste. As she did so, her fingers clutched her baton tightly.
Edited by selphie_trabia, Nov 28 2010, 10:34 PM.
Old v4 player.

selphie_trabia
The faceless fear
[ *  *  * ]
((Ooc: Sorry took me so long. Having some busy days at work.))

Meredith looked at Celeste and sighed, a slow, wistful sound. “I have implements of writing, so you need not use your own. Since you cannot see in this darkness, I can lead you out of these tunnels in exchange for a bite of your bread and a sip of your water.”

Her hand hovered momentarily over the hilt of her shiv, fingers just touching the cloth part. It would be so easy. So easy right now to cut into the other girl’s face, but Meredith knew that the girl hadn’t damned herself yet.

Besides, she had a duty to perform and the girl hadn’t quite said no, even if she had smiled. She hadn’t rejected Meredith, just voiced some frustrations. She didn’t deserve to die. Not yet.

“Will you come with me? What is your name? I doubt it is on the lists of the dead since you seem to be alive right now.” Meredith whispered.
Old v4 player.

selphie_trabia
The faceless fear
[ *  *  * ]
Meredith looked at the other girl, just staring for a moment as she considered Celeste’s counter offer. Her fingers tickled the makeshift hilt of the shiv in her coat. The little blade was calling out to her, begging her to end the other girl’s pain right now, while she still could.

Except, she couldn’t because the girl was so cheerful and kind. She hadn’t taunted Meredith. Hadn’t called her a loser or insulted her. She’d simply made a counter offer, one that Meredith couldn’t refuse.

She’d taken Meredith seriously.

Meredith swallowed and forced her head to nod. She tore hand away from the shiv, that ever present temptation, and held it out for Celeste to shake.

“Very well.” She said, “I will do as you ask, for a loaf of bread and bottle of water. You will follow me closely and hold onto the edge of my cloak. Do not let go. I have no wish for you to disappear into the darkness. Hades is big and the labyrinth is deep. I will not find you if you disappear."
Edited by selphie_trabia, Dec 5 2010, 07:14 PM.
Old v4 player.

selphie_trabia
The faceless fear
[ *  *  * ]
Meredith nodded, listening to Celeste’s chatter. It didn’t bother her. Everyone was scared. The harsh reality of the past four days made Bayview and St Paul seem so far away, like a distant memory that didn’t matter.

But Meredith remembered. She sympathised.

She used the same strategy when she was in Bayview.

Talking staved off the fear.

“I speak as I always have. It is then as it is now as it will be until my flesh and bones are cold in the heat of the sun.” She said simply, "We have been forsaken and thrown into the realm of nightmare. The beast hungers for our hatred."

Making sure that Celeste was following her, she turned a corner, knowing that it would lead the pair deeper into the tunnels. Meredith had time to explore the tunnels. She’d kept a small map of them in her head, but mostly, she kept a map in her notebook. She consulted it now.

“I listen to the words of the dead uttered by the mouth of the beast in the morning. I do not go to his lair.” She continued as she checked her map, making sure she knew where they were going. “I closed the eyes and covered the face of the burned boy who stared at the stars from the steps of the black palace. This book is my mission. It will be taken to the place of shallow lives that lies beyond the nightmare.”

She made two lefts, then a right. Then paused and turned to face the girl behind her. If they were to search for this friend of hers, they would end up searching quite methodically combing the tunnels until there was not a part of it that was left unexplored. Hopefully, their search would bring up Celeste’s friend.

“Where did you lose your friend in Hades?” she asked.
Edited by selphie_trabia, Dec 9 2010, 06:42 AM.
Old v4 player.

selphie_trabia
The faceless fear
[ *  *  * ]
((ooc: Apologies. Was busy.))

Meredith stiffened when Celeste began to shout. She hissed at the girl.

"Do you want to attract the shades of Hades? Keep your tongue still lest they come for us both." she murmured.

At the girl's next words, Meredith gave a shiver, whirling around on the heels of her boots and whipping her coat out of Celeste's hands. She didn't want the other girl to leave her, not this girl who had accepted her at face value, who wasn't afraid. Her fingers inched towards the hilt of her shiv. If she killed the girl now, then Celeste would never leave Hades.

Meredith shook her head, there were other, pressing matters at hand. She had made a promise.

"I will take my payment now, please. One loaf of bread and one bottle of water. Then I will lead you and your friend out of Hades. Would that I could trust you, but the actions of others have left me wanting."

She glanced over at the remainder of the tunnel and whispered, "Pay me not and I will strike you dead where you stand. Or perhaps I will simply disappear and let you and your friend wander Hades until the beast builds its lair here. It is your choice."

She stared at Celeste, daring the other girl to respond.
Old v4 player.

selphie_trabia
The faceless fear
[ *  *  * ]
((ooc: Really sorry for holdng you two up. Holidays made me very busy.))

Meredith looked from one girl to another, wincing at Celeste’s swearing. The swearing didn’t hurt, but the fact that Celeste didn’t trust her did. Then again, she didn’t trust Celeste. Half her pay for half the work was fair enough to ask for, wasn’t it? If Celeste had given it to her, she would have followed her to the ends of the earth.

Celeste did not.

Perhaps she was not as good a person as Meredith thought she was. Perhaps the game was changing her. The beast was clever and twisted.

“I am glad that you have found your friend.” She said simply, “You will follow me. If you get lost, I will not look for you.”

Her fingers brushed the shiv once more, she tightened the muscles in her fingers, forcing them open and refusing to let them grasp the sharp knife. She pulled her hand back down to her notebook.

Celeste certainly needed more observation and Meredith didn't want to kill her, not even to purge the beast's corruption.
Edited by selphie_trabia, Jan 4 2011, 08:12 PM.
Old v4 player.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Tunnels · Next Topic »
Add Reply