Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
CHARACTER OF THE MONTH - NOVEMBER '10
Topic Started: Nov 25 2010, 04:45 PM (3,533 Views)
Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Notes:
* You must have a good reason for your nomination. We're not asking for dissertations, but 'Cuz he's mai favrite' is not going to stand.
* Try to nominate on merit as opposed to simply people you like or RP with. This is about acknowledging good writing, not a popularity contest.
* There is no reward for winning except praise.
* Winners will not be eligible for nomination in consecutive months.

THIS IS NOT POLITICAL. Please don't start making it that.

Ciel's characters are ineligible this month.
Posted Image
SotF: Mini - SCdoes a-rolling! - PV3 Prologue ongoing!
Draw Thread! - Pathfinder! - Writing Thread!

Adequate summary of my personality
V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

T-Fox
Member Avatar
N-Nopony! Ah was talkin' to nopony whatsoever!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Sorry about how crappy these are, or if some of the explanations don't make sense. Turkey Coma. HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

1. Liam "Brook" Brooks: Written by MK Kilmarnock.

Alright. I've been reading all of MK's characters, and as much as I love them, Brook really stands out this month. In his current topic, you can just feel what he's going through. Happiness turned to terror in the blink of an eye. Rick really handled this transition extremely well, and Brook is definitely going through some serious development as a character. Beautifully written, I can't stress it enough. I mean, seriously. His disbelief is obvious here, and the worst part is that Jason is the one that pulled the Trigger.

2. Peter Siu: Written by Solomir.

And not to neglect the other side of this equation. This spot was a toss up between Peter and Tiffany actually. However, I finally decided on Peter, because while he is playing himself through as the calm, collected person who knows what to do (the first aid, his suggestions on where to go), it's his internal thoughts that really make the character. Sure, we know what's going on in his head, but the other characters don't. I think when you look at Peter with that in mind, combined with his abrasive yet selfless demeanor, it blends into an incredible mix that is fantastic to read. You're really outdoing yourself with this one Joe.

3. Maxwell Lombardi: Written by Fioriboy

Okay, I'll admit I was extremely late to the game in starting to read Maxwell. I saw all the reviews of him being an asshole that everyone loves to hate, and honestly, I didn't bat much of an eyelash. Boy, was I missing out. Normally, I'm not the biggest fan of villain characters (hence why I tend to not write them). Fiori's writing is INSANE though, and you can tell just how little he cares about anything but getting home. Seriously, if anyone hasn't read this character yet, please go read him now. His latest topic shows him having just killed someone in cold blood, yet his only real concern is cleaning himself up a little. You can just see how desensitized he has become to what's going on, how focused his is on his goal. As far as villains go, no, as far as characters go Maxwell is completely worth the read. Awesome job Fiori.
Coming soon to a deathmatch near you:
Garry Brooks - Swave Countryboy
Jade Aurora - Tomboy Drummer
Jasmine Tolle - Pacifistiic Artist

Memories of those past:
Spoiler: click to toggle

What is wrong with you people?!

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alright, so as usual, I see it fit to place my nominations!

1. Peter Siu, as played by Solomir - It's really difficult to explain why Peter is a good choice for CotM without just re-glossing over what Travis said, but I'll do my best to be unique. What's just happened in the swamp is pivotal for the development of Peter, Brook, Jason, and to an extent, Tiffany (death is a development, right?). So far, we've gotten to see one side of Peter: the side that valiantly flies in the face of the spirit of the game. He's an average joe (pun intended) highschooler with a realistic sense of goals and views who's been trying to make do with what he's given, but now with his world being turned upside down, we'll have to wait and see where he goes. The mere potential at this cross-roads coupled with the first few steps Peter has already taken make him a great candidate for CotM of November '10.

2. Feo Eleri Smith, as played by Fri'Chickenisha - I think it would be safe to say that Feo is currently one of the most underrated characters on the island. I had heard almost nothing about her until happening onto the thread The House of the Rising Sun'. I'll try to give a spoiler-free version of this evaluations for those who haven't read, but would wish to: the events unfolding in this thread alone qualify Feo for SOME recognition at least, and because all throughout the touching scene she fails to qualify for our other awards, I feel Feo is a deserving candidate for CotM of November '10.

3. Tabi Gweneth, as played by Greg the Anti-Viking - Yes, I have nominated Tabi once again. I skipped out on her last time in an effort to give somebody else a chance, but this month decided to include her once more. Why did I do this? Because if there was ever a third deserving candidate for this month's award, then that third spot is Tabi. The girl hasn't accomplished a whole lost just as far as her actions are concerned... and that's the point. What Greg's done is taking a high school girl, no less ordinary than one you used to go to school with (or are still going to school with), and having her cope with the terrors she's facing. Yes, we all do that, but if you want to read the tale of a slow struggle to find resolve and inner strength, then she's a good place to start. Tabi's feat of showing us how entertaining a character can be to read without performing a lot of actions makes her a great candidate for CotM of November '10.
V6 Tributes

Spoilers, Ricky didn't win V5

Things We Say

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Dang. Two posts in and my top two are already taken.

Well, here goes anyways:

Feo Eleri Smith, by Sunny. Feo is an awesome character, plain and simple. She managed to be involved in some genuinely touching moments, and, given the characters involved, that's saying a good bit. Feo is a really well-rounded character, with charm, assertiveness, and enough bite to always be fun. Plus, she was involved in an actually tasteful sex scene, which takes immense talent. Sunny deserves mad props.

Liam Brooks, by MK Kilmarnock. Ricky's characters are all great, plain and simple. Brook has reached a special level of awesome this month, though. His reactions in the tunnels, his range of emotions during his brief meeting with Tiffany, all of that combines for some of the best writing we've seen this version. I've always liked Brook, but now he's one of my clear favorites. Great job, Ricky. Keep it up.

Eiko Haraguchi, by Solitair. Eiko is an amazing character, because she manages to pull together some of the more difficult to RP character elements masterfully. She's a foreign exchange student, and shows very strong aspects of her original culture, but still has a very detailed personality outside of it. She's a bit of a manipulator and schemer, but is at the same time a sympathetic character who you can actually get behind. This month in specific, her reactions to some very tough situations have been spot on, and she's been a joy to read. I look forward to seeing where she goes. I'd like to give nods Eiko's frequent threadmate Peter Siu, who has been an excellent read since the start of pregame as well as throughout V4, and is, I see, getting the respect he deserves in the other nominations.
V7:
Juliette Sargent drawn by Mimi and Ryuki
Alton Gerow drawn by Mimi
Lavender Ripley drawn by Mimi
Phillip Olivares drawn by Ryuki
Library Vee
Misty Browder drawn by Ryuki

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
START THE NOM

Liam Brooks by MK Kilmarnock. Poor thing, from the betrayal in the tunnels up into Everything's Nature to Fall this boy's had a bad run but he's just so sympathetic. His writting in Fall is great, spanning a large range of emotions as he sees the girl he's always loved and then dropping down to the lowest low when he realizes his best friend was the one who did her in. Every transition feels natural and is somehow gentle. I really feel his horror and I feel for him.

Feo Eleri Smith by Fri'Chickenisha. Allllriiiggght, I know I shouldn't nom someone I've been with since the start of the game but I think she really really deserves it. She's tough, but she has those little insecurities that become clear once you look deeper into her, but those insecurities just drive her further more. Her emotion was fantastic in the scene I was in with her and she is always entertaining. She seems like a person you'd really find out in the real world and though I don't always expect the reactions she has, they always make sense. Her determination mixed in with her saddness made for a really touching read. A+.

Leila Langford by Hallucinogenic. I like strong girls, I really do. Leila's always been fun to read but I think she went the extra step this month. She started out in the tunnels with the boys where she made off with a weapon and she was a fantastic bitch. Though all the while you could feel hints of her concern for her best friend which really paid off when it came down to the beautiful death she had a hand in. It was nice to see her soft, but when she needed to straighten up and buckle down, she's capable of that too. There are a lot of different facets to her and for that reason I'm thowing her some nom love.
things

Brackie
Member Avatar
personification of adhd
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Okay, I shall nominate here and some people should actually nominate this time round :C

1) Liz Polanski: How many people can honestly say they have written a character that has had such a huge effect on SOTF? Okay, now narrow it down to how many honestly new people to SOTF can say they've done the same thing? Now I'm not gonna nominate Liz on that basis alone, but because of the way that betsy really springs forth with the wide range of emotions that Liz is going through right now. This is a girl who's gotten someone killed, royally fucked up the game and nearly everyone involved in it, and could probably almost do anything right now.

Yeah, I've run out of reasons really.

2) and 3) Rena Peters and Raine Schwarz: Now HERE are two vastly, and I mean VASTLY underappreciated writers. While you can say that chibinashiashiashi (>.<)'s posts are a little on the skimpy side, that's okay. You can say that CaseyNuge's posts are a little on the "generic" side, but that's okay. But what you NEED to know is that, as of their most recent posts in "It Knows Nothing Of Whim", these are two girls that are worn down to their wits end. One girl has finally snapped, and the other has finally broken down. You can tell there was a very good reason that chibi wanted to save Raine when she was rolled, and honestly, I couldn't have seen a more worthy person to save at the announcements (except someone who my character was in a thread with XD) than Raine Schwarz. A handler that truly cares a lot about their character, and I mean TRULY enough to grovel to that extent, and then go through with their promise and write one of the most moving scenes in v4 that isn't a death scene really deserves even this slightest honor.
Edited by Brackie, Nov 28 2010, 01:11 AM.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I can't sing but I wrote you a song

Wrong notes but the melody's so clear

When I'm lost, I'm still close to gold

cause I found my treasure in you

storyspoiler
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Ethan Kent:

Yeah, he's dead. Yeah, he was a jerk. But he was an excellently-written touching jerk, and his death hit me like a motorcade on the I-57. He kept narrowly missing my CotM noms, but this time…yeah, he pulls it off. I've been rereading him, and he's easy to underestimate as a character--but take another look. He's complex, compelling and rich.

Aston Bennet:

So I'm doing something I really shouldn't do--I'm nominating Aston quite a lot on potential. I've liked how Inky writes her a lot--her narcissism is amusing and not a little bit tragic in this situation--but she hasn't "done much" until This Post (http://s10.zetaboards.com/SOTF_V2/single/?p=8696956&t=7305501), and suddenly I'm reading "Wind In The Willow" raptly and hoping it will update soon. Inky, you've done a job with a unique character, and damn, now I enjoy reading her more than ever.

Third person is Tiffany Baker.

It was between Peter Siu and Tiffany Baker this month, but Tiffany Baker wins by a nose, off of Solomir's amazing deathpost--Peter Siu will live to be nominated another day.

Tiffany, I've been following ever since the beginning. Her first post, The Worst Gun In The Game, was striking--how many characters get a nice gun on SOTF, and immediately, without hesitation, throw it away? But then she'd need to hurt people, to kill people. Tiffany couldn't accept that. That was wrong, even if it was easier. She had been taught many times that it was worth doing the right thing no matter how easy it was to not. Tiffany's not a ninja, a killer, or a self-proclaimed hero, but she's one of the best people on the island; striking because, until the end, she's loyal, good, and true, and I believe it. There's no manipulation in her innocence, in her fierce goodness and her ability to believe in people. And her relationship to Peter Siu, and her love for him, right to the end, is actually heartbreaking, in every serious use of the term.
Edited by storyspoiler, Nov 30 2010, 11:34 AM.
--------

Alice Boucher was a liar.
Liz Polanski played with fire.

And who the hell is Radio Asuka?

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
If this doesn't get more involvement, I'm going to discontinue it. Not exactly much point with minimal contribution. It doesn't MATTER if you haven't read everyone or have nominated someone before. If you have really enjoyed a particular character, nominate them, otherwise COTM is gonna die a death pretty soon.
Posted Image
SotF: Mini - SCdoes a-rolling! - PV3 Prologue ongoing!
Draw Thread! - Pathfinder! - Writing Thread!

Adequate summary of my personality
V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4

Casey the Undead
Member Avatar
Let's go where eagles dare
[ *  *  * ]
1) Liam Brooks by MK Kilmarnock - There's not much to say that hasn't already been said, but I'm going to say it anyway. Brook is, plain and simple, a wonderfully written and almost tragic character. You can really relate to what he feels during his betrayal, and he's a very real and poignant character.

2) Morgan Leftowitz by Greg the Anti- Viking.- Oh Morgan. Morgan is a character that almost never makes me stop giggling. His bumbling upon seeing Jen Romita nude is both hilarious and adorable, as is his attempted mug camouflage. His somewhat bumbling nature is endearing, and I love him to death. Really an enjoyable character to read.

3) Liz Ploanski by Storyspolier- I'm not going to lie, I never even thought about Liz until after the recent announcement. After hearing about her collar tampering, my curiosity was piqued, and I went to go check her out. And I was blown away. Liz is really ranged character, and well written and everything, but the true power of Liz is that she is one of only a handful of characters who have me on the edge of my seat waiting for their next post. Liz is a part of something huge this version, and I can't wait to see her story played out to it's full climax.

(Also, come one, lets get some more CotM noms! This took me a while to come up with, but everyone has at least one favorite character, and we really should honor them- and their fantastic writers!)
It's hard to get ahead when half your friends are dead!

V4 Characters:

V5 Characters

T-Fox
Member Avatar
N-Nopony! Ah was talkin' to nopony whatsoever!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
((Seriously. BKA, BDA, and CotM are incredible incentives to strive to write better, don't let it die guys. Please.))
Coming soon to a deathmatch near you:
Garry Brooks - Swave Countryboy
Jade Aurora - Tomboy Drummer
Jasmine Tolle - Pacifistiic Artist

Memories of those past:

What is wrong with you people?!

Dr. Nic
Member Avatar
How cute.
[ *  * ]
Didn't really want to get involved in this again... but then again, no one wants to see this die.

Liam "Brook" Brooks, as written by MK: Yes, again. Brason!

Seriously though? He is an absolutely wonderful character and Ricky is an absolutely wonderful writer. I like all his characters so far and Brook has, so far, remained my favorite out of all of them. Following him and Jason from the moment they started to their current situation and even being able to have a hand in some of the events occurring, it's simply an amazing read and time well spent.

One thing though... where is Brason? QUICK, SOMEONE WRITE IT.

Jimmy fucking Brennan, as written by Little: Even if it was for only a few posts, I certainly enjoyed writing with Little and have since been following Jimmy quite closely. Despite my misgivings toward most characters who seem to be done for comic relief, I really enjoy Jimmy and am really looking forward to reading his story as it continues. It really does seem like Jimmy only had bad days and days where he isn't kicked in the nuts. Who knows, maybe by the end of his story he'll finally have one good day.

And then he'll die.

And it will have been amazing.

Finally, and this was a bit of a toss up, but I think I'll have to choose...

No one!

Really, I couldn't choose between everyone else I've been reading. It's quite hard to pick between them all, between Jason Harris and Tiffany Baker and Peter Siu and Peter McCue and Carly Jean and... yeah, there are too many to pick from. That's just the names I pulled off the top of my head, there are about six or seven more I wanted to nominate. Maybe I'll edit something in when and if I decide, but for now, I think I'll leave it at just two. Maybe.
Boy #??? - Joshua Edwards
Hanging out somewhere, playing his heart out.
Writer and local retail slave at the comic book store.

Girl #??? - Viktoriya "Vika" Starikova
Floating in the void, unfinished and half-formed.
Hot headed member of the soft ball team, secretly wishing she could fly.

Those who were

Solitair
Member Avatar
Where modesty's ill manners, 'tis but fit that impudence and malice pass for wit.
[ *  *  *  * ]
If it seems like I had to take a while to think of people to nominate, that's not the fault of the writers. It's my fault for being to scatterbrained to remember everyone's high points. Regardless, I've finally came up with a few favorites of mine.

1. Liz Polanski: I don't know if Liz getting her collar to shut down was planned out by the mods ahead of time or if it was all story's idea. Either way, it was a really ballsy scene to pull off and I enjoyed reading it. Liz has always been a standout character in my mind, largely because of the whole beheading incident at the beginning of her story. Now she's gone in a new direction and I can't wait to see what happens to her next.

2. Jimmy Brennan: This guy walks a pretty fine line between being obnoxious and being pitiable. Sometimes it seems like he's only there to get kicked into the ground like Team Rocket, but I kind of feel sorry for him anyway. I want him to catch a break and win something even though it'll probably never happen and, let's face it, he probably doesn't deserve it.

3. Mizore Soryu: I'm nominating based on what I feel are unique characters, and Mizore is another good example. She doesn't seem all that concerned with the game, or at least the fighting aspect, just wanting an opportunity to make something beautiful before she dies. Her story has a detached feel to it, and has a lot of tender, talky bits to it. I happen to like that.

Honorable mention goes to Meredith Hemmings, who's beginning to make me laugh as Pandora Black.
WickedIcon: i just launched a baby wearing a denim jacket and a bowler hat across a hospital, through a window, killing several patients, destroying thousands of dollars of equipment, and finally coming to rest on the body of a presumably dead clown
WickedIcon: this is the best dollar i've spent in several years

chitoryu12I have yet to find gay sex that involves the men punching each other. I must not be on the internet enough

Turning Pages: Read some books along with me, why don't you?

V4:

V5:
Arthur Wells: The Artist ... ... ... ... ?
Rose Matheson: The Sprinter ... ?
Ilya Volkov: The Wrestler ... ... ... ... !

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Please, Clue, you won't discontinue this. Or at least, I don't believe you will.

1. Liz Polanski Mizore Soryu may be one of my favorite characters, but Liz has managed to pose a major threat to the structure of the Game by Day 5. That's quite a feat, at least in my book. Additionally, she's convenient and capable without being unbelievable, and she's clearly going to break the game without necessarily violating it's fundamental tenets. She's belieavable while still being her own character, and while Betsy's characters are always among my favorite, I still like Liz, especially this present game.

2. Maxwell Lombardi Maybe this is because Max killed Simon, but Max continues to impress me. He is a murderous sonofabitch without being unbelievable, and his violent tendencies are clear-cut without being ridiculous.

3. TBD
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

Tara Behzad: "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

Alex Tarquin: "No more masks."

V5 Players

V4 Players

Badb
Member Avatar
Trained for combat by a cabal of hacktivists.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Okay I apologise if these come off as rambling because I'm typing really quickly at 8am while coming off of sickness, but here are my nominees from the last month:

1. Leila Langford, handled by Zeh- Hallucinogenic. Yes, I voted for her last month, however, I honestly do believe that Leila has become a hugely more sympathetic character in the past month, something that she was kind of lacking in before. This thread in particular is a must-read, and has really made Leila grow as a character. Well worth a vote this time around. You done good, Stef. <3

2. JJ Sturn, handled originally by GameMaker, adopted by Jonny. Wow. That's all I can really say about JJ this month. The whole thread with him, Claire and DK was by some of the oldest remaining handlers on the site and man, it showed. However I think the person who shined the most in that thread was JJ, who just hasn't suffered the character changes that most characters go through when they swap handlers; in fact I think Jonny's version of JJ has the potential to be better, if he keeps up what he's doing with him right now.

3. Bridget Connolly, handled by Rocky. Woah, this one was a shocker, wasn't it? Well, I've been reading Bridget since waaaaaaaaay back in the clusterfuck that was D-Day, and while she mostly went under the radar while that thread was going on (and on, and on, and on, and on) now that she's out of it, she's really starting to get some good momentum going, and has had a lot of pretty strong posts, in the group with Sarah, and in this thread right here which, although it's just started, has been really good so far, and I'm really eager to see it continue!

Honourary Mentions go to Claire Lambert and Daniel Kensrue, because I didn't want to nominate all three people in a thread, the awesome tag-team of Jen Romita and Morgan Leftowitz, who- as well as being awesome to write with- have been on a roll the last month, and Carol Burke, who was one of my favourite Pre-Game characters, and has been really good this month despite being slated to die ;~;
V5:
B035 - Ray Gilbert - DECEASED - Guy Fawkes Mask - Too Far Gone
G029 - Zoe Leverett - DECEASED - Machete - To Really Be Alone, To Pick At All the Bones
[/spoiler]
Quote:

[18:10] <Laurels> WWJD? Fuck corpses, apparently

Quote:

[15:16] <Naft> My college once nearly burned down because someone tried to make a bong out of dollar bills and the fire alarm didn't work

Gwbiii
~~PCH0000~~
[ *  *  * ]
With the caveat that i've barely read anything in the past few weeks, and as such all my votes are horribly biased because they're for characters i've shared a thread with, I'm going to go ahead and do my first CotM voting (yaaay)

1. Alice Boucher - Another handler-swap which I think has been done really very well, I loved her in Heartbeat Symphony and the weird Stockholm syndrome and internal conflict about whether to assist or kill her captor and protector is an interesting one.

2. Bridget Connolly - This one feels like I'm cheating a bit, but anyway. Rocky has put a lot of thought and a lot of effort into characterising her and I think it's really starting to show. The reason it might be cheating a little bit is that I've had the privilege of planning and collaborating on the Bridget-related stuff with Rocky and that just makes me love her more.

3. Trent Savage - I know he's spent most of the game knocked the fuck out, but god I feel sorry for him. Stef has written him really, really well and I loved the way he thought about and interacted with Craig, and how he's now reacting to his death and the guilt he feels for it.

4. Aileen Borden - Apart from the fact she's wonderfully written by Kami, I'm just loving her particular brand of snark and exasperation with the people she's found herself having to work with. She might be the one sane person in Aaron's group.

I think honourable mentions are deserved by way, way too many people. If I could put down everyone I wanted this would be a long, long list and would include everyone I've had the opportunity to work with. SO, if you're not mentioned above you probably should be :P
Edited by Gwbiii, Dec 4 2010, 06:56 AM.
G003 - Sarah Xu -"Th-then I-I'll stitch you up."---> 開始
G049 - Mia Kuiper - "lada didi dada di dum dum."---> Anfang
B040 - Richard Han - "YOU WIN THIS TIME, GRAAAVIIIIITYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY"
G094 - Raina Morales
-*snort* pretty cows...---> Began: Bump in the Night || Ended: A New Day
""-Mandarin ""-Cantonese ""-German ""-Spanish

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Polls · Next Topic »
Add Reply