Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
But I Might Die Tonight; Open, Early Evening Day 4
Topic Started: Nov 23 2010, 02:27 AM (4,040 Views)
Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(David Meramac continued from Fountain of Youth)

If you run hard enough, you cease to think.

It was a truth David Meramac had learned when he was very young, when his mother had left and David had been with his father--his poor, sweet, damaged father, his father who'd given him the jacket David wore even now.

This is my father's jacket. He's safely away from here, maybe watching me on screen, wondering what's gonna get me, who's waiting, why am I even trying I'll just get beaten or shot or stabbed, they'll break me like they break everyone, I can't escape there isn't any-

The thoughts would bubble and boil, threaten him, threaten to remind him of how weak he was and how little power he had over his own destiny (they gave me a box of FUCKING KLEENEX) and he would run harder, run until his legs twitched with effort, still each breath clawed its laborious, painful way into his throat and until his legs turned to jelly beneath him and he could run no more, and then through the haze of pain he would begin to think again.

The mountain was the latest in his attempts to erase thought from his brain. There was a trail, of course, but David had foregone the trail--there were places (rocky, miserably, treacherous places) where he could scramble his way up, cutting at his palms, skinning his knees, feeling already-weak legs tremble with the new demands he'd place on them, and in this sense of inadvertent, reckless danger he could forget, for a little while, that he was going to die.

Until the announcement came on, and David, scrambling his way up around a copse of loose shale, froze. It was the wrong time for an Announcement--he'd figured that out by now. So...

So...

Someone's been interfering with their collar.

In the past few days--in the course of struggle and violence, in the course of fear and terror and the unflinching sensation of despair--David had almost forgotten about the thing around his neck, the construct that threatened him, the construct that constricted him and kept him here. His concern had been on the other students. But...

But if they didn't have a reason to be here...

We can get out.

David's muscles quivered a final time, and he slipped backwards, scraping his hands and fingertips, jarring his shin once he got back to relatively stable ground. The pain meant nothing, however; it was an idle distraction barely worth his consideration or thought.

"We can get out?" he said aloud, and hope blazed in him with the force of a wildfire.
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

Tara Behzad: "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

Alex Tarquin: "No more masks."

V5 Players

V4 Players
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The little flicker of hope David had felt faded a little when he heard a voice: more specifically, a shout. "MAX CROWE OVER HERE!" someone yelled from what sounded like surprisingly nearby, and at once David hurled himself to one side and threw a hand over his head. Like Cody, like them, chopped up, shot, gunned down, hurt.

Didn't want to think about that. Not right now. Not when he could get the hell out of this god damn place.

Besides, that guy sounded friendly. And so far the killers David had come across weren't particularly craft.

"D..." he started, and then he remembered. They weren't trapped anymore. There was a way out of this god damn place.

"DAVID MERAMAC OVER HERE!" he yelled back, scrambling to his feet. "Is...is everyone over there okay!"
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Everything's okay.

For some reason the phrase weakened David's resolve even further; his arms flew out and wrapped protectively around himself, as though trying to conserve warmth. The moment he'd heard the other voice call "everything's okay!" he'd seen in his head the fight over by the fountain; he'd seen Cody Jenkins fall as gunfire boomed around them.

Everything was not okay.

But the fact was that he was useless on his own; that all he could do was keep running and struggling to avoid death. And if there was a way off the island? If there was a way for him to avoid death altogether, to escape? If he was going to find this "Liz Polanski" and survive, he was going to need help.

He swallowed, and made his way in the direction of the voices. They were little more than dim, distant shapes when he finally came into view, but he ignored his mounting fear and, with a faint shudder, called, "O-over here."

Back with other people again. Back to the potential of pain and death. Back to fear.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
For a little while, David was left standing where he was, staring at the dim shapes in the distance. The longer he stood there, the more nervous he felt; these people could hurt him, these people could kill him, he didn't need them, he could get away on his own before they-

One of the shapes detached themselves from the mass. David felt his throat tighten and he tensed, his eyes darting here and there like a frightened squirrel. The terrain here looked treacherous and the last time he'd tried to run where he wasn't supposed to he'd messed up his ankle something fierce. Still, it was better than being shot like Cody or hacked apart, have his insides strewn all along this mountain and...

"Hey there!" came the friendly voice which had identified itself as Max earlier. "Nice shirt!"

David glanced down to his ridiculous T-shirt and then, weakly, smiled. "Nice," he muttered. "Yeah." He scratched the back of his head. "Really dumb. All things..." He grimaced and scuffed at the ground with his foot. "Dumb," he repeated wearily.

He ran a hand over his face. "This is...this is probably a really stupid question," he said. "But I've been running since...since we got here, and I've seen some..."

His face had gotten very pale, and he felt the saliva in his mouth intensifying as bile rose in his throat. He didn't want to remember what he'd seen.

"You're not gonna kill me, are you?" he asked.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(Balls, how did I not notice that?)

"I'm not going to kill you," Maxwell Crowe said. "If I wanted to, we wouldn't be speaking right now."

And without really wanting to, David relaxed. Maybe he was just being naive, but he couldn't imagine anyone on the island trying to lure him deeper into a trap; if they'd wanted to take him out, they would have done it. He would have been shot.

Max hadn't shot him. Therefore, Max was okay.

One of the people Max had been standing with came up. It was a girl--Josie, he thought, the one with the ridiculous hair. She wanted to form a group.

"Be careful," David mumbled, rubbing a hand over his shirt. "Last group I was with got...got fucked up pretty bad." He swallowed. "Attacked from the trees. N-not good."

He listened as the conversation continued. He was tired of being alone--he wanted to find Liz Polanski, get this damn collar off, get the hell out of here. Max, however, seemed to have other plans. "Haven't...haven't seen a Maria," David said. Least, not that I can remember.. He was about to suggest they go look for Liz when he heard it.

"Aw fuck."

If they had still been talking, the words would have been too quiet to hear; however, whoever had said them had spoken into a chance lull in their conversation, and so they drifted even into David's ears. With a short yelp, David scampered backwards, looking for cover, looking for anything he could use to-

Wait. Wait. The guy who'd attacked them earlier hadn't exactly been quiet about it. And this guy sounded more scared than anything.

David swallowed. "H-hey!" he called, weakly. "It's...it's okay! These are good people."

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(Reluctantly concurred)

Max ordered the other guy to put his shovel down. The other guy, instead of answering, spat on the ground and turned to go. He could feel the distance between them, taut as a bowstring and exactly as deadly. His eyes flickered about them; he felt the palpable danger.

Here, just like everywhere else, he could die at any moment. Safety and security were illusions.

David's throat felt tight.

Max was already retreating down the mountain. The other two--Josie and the girl Josie was with (Sierra, David thought?) were sitting around, looking tense as ever. David swallowed, trying to clear some of this awful tightness in his throat, trying to feel anything but fear.

That girl. The one farther back. She was shivering, and by the way her arms were wrapped around her it wasn't wholly from fear.

David, feeling the awful emptiness in his belly, focused on it. Hunger, not fear. Shivering girl, not terrified boy. These people were going to help him, and there was safety here; he didn't want them to think badly of them.

Plus, this girl looked as bad as he felt.

"H-hey," he said weakly, pulling off his old leather jacket. "I, um...I don't know if you want it, but-" He shook his head. "Just-here." He handed her the jacket--didn't try and put it on her, he wasn't looking for anything and he didn't want to invade her space.

"Guess we should...guess we should go," he said weakly.

This wasn't the absence of fear he'd been hoping for. But it was better than being alone.

(David Meramac continued in Down the Road, Not Across the Street)
Edited by Grim Wolf, Feb 28 2011, 10:00 AM.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Mountain · Next Topic »
Add Reply