Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
But I Might Die Tonight; Open, Early Evening Day 4
Topic Started: Nov 23 2010, 02:27 AM (3,903 Views)
ZombiexCreame
Member Avatar
it was a graveyard smash
[ *  *  *  * ]
((Josie Vernon continued from It's hard to walk tall when you're small

Note: There will be a bit of time advancement in this post as I try to get up to the speed of the early evening of day four.))

More walking. A lot of the same. Josie's legs hurt a little from all the travel. She wasn't used to this much walking -- never was much of an athlete. A few times as she walked, she wondered why. Why was she traveling so much? Why was there any purpose to this? Why couldn't she just sit still and wait for whatever to happen. Que Sera Sera, right? Whatever will be, will be. But, as much as she would much rather sit around and rest, the thought of Janet's corpse floating somewhere upstream didn't sit well with her. It just made her want to flee and never again see bloated, drowned body of that poor girl. Done and wasted over a vibrating dildo.

Josie kept close to Sierra, her eyes constantly darting around to make sure no one was following them or creeping in the nearby shadows. Lucky for her, no one ever approached them. She considered this very lucky because neither Josie or Sierra were well-equipped to deal with any attackers. It almost made her want to meet up with Omar down the line. Forget that he was a murderer and assume that he was well in the head. Assume that he still loved Sierra and considered Josie a friend. He could protect them with that stolen gun of his.

No! Josie immediately shied away from that thought! She didn't want Omar to do the protecting. Josie was the protector, and it was her self-appointed duty to keep Sierra safe. She wouldn't let herself go on without Sierra. She couldn't..

Alone once again, the two girls followed the river southward. There was a large mountain just ahead, and Josie thought it would be the perfect place to hole up for awhile. Better than that wood-less forest or some building were immediate escape would be utterly impossible. The mountain was undoubtedly large, and she was sure that there was somewhere to hide. Somewhere to stay with Sierra, just the two of them. But... other company wouldn't be bad either. As long as they weren't the dangerous, psychopathic-type. As much as Josie disliked most company in the past, she would gladly welcome it now. She felt so alone, as melodramatic as it sounded.

Hours passed. The ground beneath the girl's feet began to slowly roll into hills, and those hills became rocky ledges. Just ahead was the mountain, several trails leading deeper into the depths of it. With a glance in Sierra's direction, Josie took her hand and wandered along the dirt path.

More walking. The sun was setting, so Josie stopped in a sunken area surrounded by trees and rocky hills. The path was just to the right of her, so there wasn't much possibility of her getting lost up her. This area was safe from immediately view, so that, combined with the darkness, should guarantee an okay place to rest. A mild rest, anyway. Josie doubted she would sleep more than five minutes tonight, but she would try. She needed her strength if she was going to protect Sierra. The girls passed few words amongst each other, and as the sky grew darker around them, Josie laid her head against a tree and shut her eyes. Just a short rest, and she would spend the rest of the night keeping look-out. She couldn't protect Sierra if she was asleep. She could.. She couldn't.. She..

--

Birds singing, a breeze softly whispering through the branches of the overhanging trees, the sun twinkling from above, and the crackling of something bursting to life. It reminded Josie of a radio. Had she left her radio on when she fell asleep? She raised a hand to lazily rub her left eye, which smudged the remainder of her eyeliner. She should really start to remove her makeup before bed! It's bad for the skin. She looked around, almost startled at her surroundings. This wasn't home, it was.. it was..

"Ladies and gentlemen, as of this, the third announcement, a further twenty-three of your peers have bitten the dust. Outstanding, kiddies. Simply outstanding."

Josie blinked as it all came crashing down. And, really, she realized that she never truly believed she was back in her bedroom. As much as she wished it, she knew all along that she was here. This island was her reality. She sat back to listen to the announcements. It didn't mean much to her, as sociopathic as that sounded. Sure, it saddened her, and she had attended school with most of these people, but she wasn't close with nearly anyone. The only person she could possibly care about was right here beside her.

The only name that caught her utmost attention was Omar Burton's, and it took her a moment to figure out if was a killer or a killed. The way Danya stated it, it almost sounded as if.. Omar was dead. Her throat tightened a little, and she slowly looked over at Sierra. Dead? She'd almost be more relieved if he had ended up killing someone. Then she could at least have another nail to pound into his coffin. Another piece of proof that he really was a killer. Was that something appropriate to say after his death? Probably not, but Josie didn't care.

However... Omar hadn't killed. He had been killed, which meant he was no longer around. Which meant Josie wouldn't have to watch out for him, which meant she wouldn't have to pretend to look around for him, which meant.. She stole another glance in Sierra's direction. There was nothing to say, and she felt no pity for Omar. Sure, he had been a nice guy and everything. She rather liked him; he treated her right. But on this island? Josie preferred him dead. And now he was. No grief, no guilt, no pity. He was dead. Josie didn't care.

[I'll edit more into this when I actually get Sierra's reaction.]

The sun was setting, or at least dipping lower into the sky. Josie couldn't believe she had spent a better part of the day, resting here at the mountain. She had barely moved from her spot, only a few times to use the bathroom. Sierra didn't want to move, which was absolutely understandable. Josie had been the perfect best friend after Omar's death was announced. She patted Sierra's hand, dried any tears, and lent her shoulder in the most literal sense. It just felt so fake. Because, while Sierra's feelings of grief pained Josie, she didn't really care that Omar had died. It was just another problem dealt with early. She wouldn't have to deal with some future confrontation, because, as anyone knew, Josie wasn't one to just let things sit quietly with Omar. She would have accused him of being a killer, and if things escalated from there, she would have gladly let it. She just wanted to see Sierra safe. Did that mean she wanted to see Sierra sobbing and solemn? No. But sacrifices had to be made.

She had to pee again. "Bathroom break," she told Sierra, standing up and briskly walking behind the nearest tree. She did her business and peered back at that sunken area where Sierra sat. She should go back immediately, it would do no good to leave her there, but.. It wouldn't hurt to see what was around the area, right? Then again, it was getting dark.. She would have to be quick about it, or she'd never find Sierra.

Josie was met with an eyeful of hills, mountains, and trees. It was really rather pretty, but nothing worthy of note. Nothing dangerous that could impede her process. Just.. a mountain with not a soul on it. But.. wait. Was someone out there? She saw something glimmer for a moment, and squinted her eyes to see. No, it wasn't a glimmer.. It was something glowing. An orange-ish glow, just hovering there. As her eyes adjusted a bit, she realized the glow was attached to a cigarette, which was attached to a person. Not wanting to attract much attention from this person in the dark (who knows if they were armed), Josie turned around and quickly tried to make her getaway. But, not being a graceful person, she slipped on a wet pile of leaves and went down on one knee. This type of thing only happens to people in movies! Not teenagers trying to stay under the radar from other teenagers!

But Josie couldn't force herself to say anything. She knew that the figure was probably aware of her presence, and it would be dangerous to just stand here and do nothing/say nothing. But.. she couldn't force words out of her throat. Not a, "Howdy neighbor" or a, "I'm not armed." She just stood there, biting her tongue, eyes squeezed shut. Like a little girl pretending she didn't exist.

She really had to get back to Sierra. But her legs wouldn't move either.
Posted Image

Dawson Demarke: School Cafeteria♥
♥Soon to come: Francis Scodelaris♥
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ZombiexCreame
Member Avatar
it was a graveyard smash
[ *  *  *  * ]
Josie realized that she had her eyes clenched shut. She was still leaning on one knee in the moist leaves, her eyes shut tight and her lips zipped into a tight line. She was still a little child pretending she was invisible. Pretending that the person in front of her wasn't there. Pretending that she WASN'T begging to the gods for this person not to kill her. But she wasn't met with bullets or a slice to the jugular. She was only met with silence and darkness. And that scared her more than bullets or blades or tazers or whatever the hell.

She slowly opened one eye and stared back at the other girl. It was mostly dark, so Josie couldn't really tell who it was, let alone make out most of her features. But it was a girl, like her. Not that that mattered. Gender obviously wasn't a factor in who would kill and who wouldn't.

The staring contest was still on, apparently. Josie very slowly got off one knee and brushed off her clothing, not letting her eyes waver from the form of Kimberly. Not even once.

"Joze?!"

Josie cringed and something was tugged in the depths of her little heart. Hearing Sierra crying out for her made her feel bad for leaving her behind, even if it was for a slightly-extended bathroom break. Josie peered behind her very carefully and then turned to look back at Kimberly. "Shit," she whispered, too frozen to start backing up. She didn't want to make any sudden movements. Just running off could get her hurt. Josie couldn't protect Sierra if she had a bullet hole in her spine.

But finally the other girl spoke. Thank God, because Josie doubted that she would do so. She was never a very act-first person. The girl called her over and claimed that she wouldn't hurt Josie. Josie didn't immediately think, "Alright, she seems okay enough. Durrr, she'd never hurt me!" but she didn't exactly run for the hills either. She decided to go closer to the girl but keep a very firm clutch on her paranoia. She needed that paranoia. It kept her sharp.

Josie walked closer to Kimberly and nervously fidgeted with one of her snakebite piercings. She didn't even realize she was doing it, and as she walked into the presence of this mysterious gal, Josie dropped her hands and cautiously said, "A talk? I don't mind, but.." She offered a weary smile. "You heard that girl calling out for me. I don't want to keep her waiting.. She might wander off and get lost or something." Josie went quiet, afraid that she was blathering. What the fuck did this girl care if Sierra got lost and wound up on the dark side of the mountain?

"I'm Josie Vernon. It probably doesn't sound too familiar, since I haven't been on the announcements or anything..." More blather. She would have shut herself up, but the announcements did it for her. It wasn't announcement time, it was far too late. So why...?

The announcement was very strange. Josie could barely piece the parts together to try and figure out what happened. It seemed so distant from her own reality, this situation that wasn't supposed to happen. She sort of expected this whole Survival of the Fittest thing to go uneventfully. Kids kill each other, one person left, done. She'd never seen the show herself, and thus, she had no idea that escapes were attempted each season. That was dumb of her. Of course kids would try to escape! Who wouldn't? Well, Josie wouldn't, but she wasn't exactly the brightest crayon in the tool shed. See?

But then some Mr. Kwong came into the picture. A teacher! A teacher that was very much alive and well. Josie had him for a class once, but only for a few months. After she realized how difficult the coursework was, she dropped it, but it was still quite shocking to hear his voice. Hear his voice say such ridiculous things and... apparently blow a boy's collar. My god.

Josie shook her head. "Jesus Christ." She peered back and could almost see Sierra through the trees. It was too dark to see, but she could swear there was another figure there. Someone else?! Josie looked over at Kimberly and motioned her head to where Sierra was. "We can keep talking, but I wanna make sure Sierra is alright. Is it just me or is there someone else over there?" she asked. Her protective instincts were burning through again. She had to get to Sierra, but she was also weary of this smoking girl.
Posted Image

ZombiexCreame
Member Avatar
it was a graveyard smash
[ *  *  *  * ]
Josie couldn't peel her eyes away from that second figure near her best friend. She squinted and squinted, but her eyes never adjusted too well to the darkness. She was just sure that there was someone else, and there was no way of knowing if this person was merely having a friendly chat or holding Sierra at gun point. The paranoia was eating Josie alive, and it took everything inside of her not to turn around and ditch the calm girl that stood at attention in front of her. Josie attempted to take a deep breath, but it just got caught in her throat, resulting in a cough. Good Lord, was she panicking? Josie never panicked. She was supposed to the calm and collected one. She was supposed to be quiet and composed and slightly menacing and intimidating. But now?

Her heart was beating way too fast, her eyes were freaking out, sweat was forming along her brow, her hands were shaking. Panic. It seemed so foreign to the red-headed girl, and she thought she might completely lose her head.

Kimberly's words brought her back to reality. She said something about just chilling, and Josie managed a slight nod and another deep breath. This breath didn't choke her and, in fact, filled her with a slight sense of calmness. She would be okay. She couldn't go into this situation with a panic-riddled head. Everything would be okay.

Paranoid glance in the direction of Sierra...

Yes, everything would be alright. That thing still hadn't done anything to her. That was okay, but Josie still didn't like it. She didn't want anyone invading her territory. Sierra was her's, all her's!

"You're acting like I go around screaming like a banshee. Sierra and I have been quiet, very quiet. Maybe moreso quiet than you, Josie muttered, her tone carrying its usual dark tone. There was a pause as she examined Kimberly's covered arm. Why was there a towel on her arm? She wasn't quite bright enough to realize that maybe there was a weapon under there, and so she decided to inquire. It couldn't hurt.

"You're right. I don't want to go storming over there. It could end up... badly. I just want to make sure Sierra isn't getting terrorized by some idiot. I'm not letting my little bathroom break fuck up any chance she had at life. She can't protect herself! She's little. That would be like a baby chick fighting a tiger or something." Remember your inquiry, Josie. Ask about that arm. "What's up with your arm?" she asked, trying to sound cool and casual. Kimberly had emphasized it, so maybe there really was a gun in her hand. But why hide a gun underneath a towel? Why not keep it in your pocket or tucked into your pants? Josie decided not to ask, and if Kimberly had a gun, more power to her. For Josie had nothing, not even something that could vaguely be considered a weapon. It was just a birthday card, something she liked to remind herself at any given moment. "Lucky," Josie commented, nodding at her covered-up arm.

"Max Crowe over here!"

Josie looked over at Kimberly and back over at the dark area where Sierra and that figure was. So the figure by Sierra, a boy named Max Crowe, apparently, was armed but not dangerous. He shouted that he was with Sierra, and he was fine. Josie was okay with that, she supposed. She sure as hell didn't want Max alone with her best friend, but she'd make her way over there sure enough. Josie gave a half-grin in the direction of Kimberly and said, "Double-lucky. Two people packing heat. I'm going over there."

It could be a trick. Max could have his gun to Sierra's head or his gun trained in the direction of Josie and Kimberly. He could kill them all without a bat of his lashes. But Josie didn't care. If that was the sad game Max would play with their lives, then so be it. She couldn't stand to be here, while Sierra was over there, possibly in danger. Josie hadn't made a promise for nothing.

Max's after-thought of "I think..." set Josie into a panic. "He thinks?! He thinks what? Is she okay or isn't she?!" Without another word, Josie had started sprinting through the forest and back to the area where she had left her dear Sierra. Upon entering the clearing, her heart beating and her eyes darting this way and that, she realized that there was no imminent danger. Sierra didn't look any different than how Josie had left her, and Max didn't seem like the most threatening guy out there.

She let out her breath in a loud "huff" and took a step forward, roughly pushing Max. She later realized that this wasn't so smart, as he had a gun (apparently), but she didn't care. "You scared me, you asshole! What do you mean 'I think...'? I thought she might have been hurt or, or, or.." She scoffed. "Never mind."

She crossed to Sierra's side, sat down beside her, and looked up into her grief-ridden face. "Are you okay? This guy didn't freak you out, did he? You know I'll tell him to take a hike if he did."

Josie looked up, her eyes staring at Max for a moment before flickering over to the edge of the clearing. She was waiting to see if Kimberly had followed. She wouldn't blame the girl if she had just decided to ditch (Josie WAS being quite loud after she had just claimed she was quiet!), but she felt a little bad for just running off back there, leaving Kimberly behind. But maybe that's what Kimberly wanted. Josie had no clue. That girl was much of a mystery to her. "You.. still out there?" Josie called, staring out into the trees. She would have called the girl by name, but she didn't receive a name.

Here Josie sat with two strangers in the vicinity, both with guns. Josie had nothing except her own best friend, too riddled with grief to do anything except be. It wasn't looking so stellar.
Posted Image

ZombiexCreame
Member Avatar
it was a graveyard smash
[ *  *  *  * ]
Another male voice split through the quiet air like a blade. Josie Vernon looked around, but she didn't see this David Memac fellow, although his name sounded familiar to her. She'd seen him around school a few times, but it wasn't enough to judge whether he was dangerous or not. Judging by the tone of his voice, merely yelling out his name and asking if everyone was okay, she decided that this David fellow was probably okay. And if she was allowing this Max kid to grace her presence, she might as well allow one more. What could it hurt? It wasn't like she had a lot to lose at this point. Besides, Josie's little team of herself and Sierra wasn't likely to succeed very far. Neither Sierra or herself were armed (unless you count pepper spray as a deadly weapon... unless an attacker is allergic to pepper), so having three people in her little group might up the chances of her survival; especially if both Kimberly and Max had guns. Maybe even that David had a gun.

Josie waited but Kimberly never appeared. Was she still back there? Had she booked it down the mountain, her mind fresh with the resolve to never run into Josie and her lot again? Oh, most likely the latter. That strange girl, nameless in Josie's mind, was gone, and she honestly wasn't sure if it was something worth worrying over. Was she a killer? Was she coming back? Was she off to go kill others or, wore, bring back friends to kill Josie and Sierra? Force the two best friends apart permanently?

She decided it wasn't worth worrying about. If that girl had her own plan, well so be it. Josie didn't want to team up with her anyway. Kimberly had a prerogative, and Josie had... nothing. Nothing except a birthday card and Sierra; neither of which would ultimately save her life. Regardless, if that girl really was coming back with some murderous groupies, all was well. Josie didn't planning on staying in the mountains for very long anyway.

"Okay, now you got to be kidding me..."

Josie furrowed her eyebrows and scowled at Max. "No, I'm not kidding. I don't want some strange guy hanging around and freaking her out. But.." She looked over at Sierra, who had just shook her head no in response to Josie's question. So maybe Max wasn't so terrible after all. She was about to apologize to him, but then he shouted for that David kid to come over.

Josie stared at Max for a hard moment before roughly shoving him again. Okay, so just moments prior she had decided that David sounded pretty recent, and she was alright with having him in their little group, but it was just the fact that Max invited him over. Max. And that grated Josie's nerves. "What are you doing, you idiot?! I don't know anything about David.. You could be inviting over a psycho!" she weakly argued, folding her arms in front of her. She instinctively took a step over to Sierra and stood in front of the sitting girl.

David came into view, but he didn't approach them. He was still pretty far off, the shadows obscuring his physical features. Josie squinted, but she made no moves to approach him and introduce herself with a friendly handshake. It looked like he expected them to go to him, but Josie wasn't that easily duped. She wasn't about to be killed by some boy that Max invited over!

Josie nodded her head in David's direction and hissed out, "You go over there and see if he's... alright. I'll stay with Sierra," she said coldly, sitting down next to her best friend. Sierra was still in a state of mourning, and Josie felt so useless to her friend's situation. She couldn't help her. She couldn't offer comforting words. All she could do was snap at the one (nice) boy that had managed to come her way. Sierra could barely muster the strength to go on in this maddening game, and Josie... couldn't lend her that strength. She was a pretty fail friend, but she decided that there wasn't much she could do. Placing a hand on Sierra's shoulder, Josie whispered, "It'll be ok. We'll get through this."

What would a good friend do?

A good friend would stand up, pump her fist in the air and declare war on that Julian Avery kid, or whoever the fuck he was. A good friend would not eat or sleep until the offending cause of Sierra's pain was dead and rotting. Josie considered herself a bad friend because she didn't have the strength to kill Julian Avery or even think about killing him. She didn't even have anything to kill with, just.. it was dumb. How could she be so dumb?

Besides, Julian Avery didn't need death. He needed.. well.. a thank-you. Omar probably went psycho, and he probably harbored a few delusions about Sierra being a goddess, and he'd sacrifice anyone who got in her way. And then when everyone was dead, he'd sacrifice Sierra and them himself, and it would be the most fucked up version of Survival of the Fittest... In a perfect world, at least. Any way Josie looked at it, Omar probably would have caused more harm to Sierra than not. And he was probably better of dead, and Julian Avery was better off alive. Unless he was out to kill everyone Sierra ever loved, but that was a pretty stupid mission. Sierra didn't have any deep emotional ties to Julian, or not that Josie was aware of.

So yes. She was a bad friend. Not that there was anything she could do to change.
Posted Image

ZombiexCreame
Member Avatar
it was a graveyard smash
[ *  *  *  * ]
Max was telling Josie to relax. He was telling her that David sounded like anything but an island psycho, but what did he know? Did he have experience or something? Was he a Survival of the Fittest fanatic? One of those crazy kids that wore SOTF t-shirts to school and watched the different seasons of episodes on Megavideo in secret? "Okay, go over there and talk to him. If he shoves a weapon in your eyeball, don't say that I didn't warn ya. Island psychos... Ha!" She laughed bitterly and watched Max as he turned away and went over to David.

What an idiot. What an absolute and complete idiot, going over to that strange boy... But really, why was it idiotic? It wasn't really, Josie was just feeling particularly defiant. David was probably okay, Max was probably okay, everything was just damn peachy! It was just the light twinge of paranoia ebbing at the edge of her mind, nibbling on wires of sanity and logic and reason. She just wasn't sure.. Part of her wasn't really sure if anyone was out there killing at all. How did she know? She hadn't seen any bodies except for that drowned girl, and, to be completely honest, Josie could barely remember her name anymore. Was it Janet? Or was it Ema? Ema was the other girl, right?

Ugh, it was useless to think about.

But the point was, the only corpse Josie had the pleasure of seeing had been an accidental drowning. She hadn't seen the real serious stuff that she'd pictured, nothing that would cause her to shield her eyes and wimper under her breath. Was her paranoia justified or could she do well with letting her guard down a bit?

Realizing that maybe it would be okay to relax for a second, Josie let her shoulders slump as guilt sunk into her pores. Poor Max, she had been such a self-righteous bitch. She wanted to apologize, but he was gone, off to talk to David.

Josie was tempted to follow him, but her pride wouldn't allow that. Plus, she didn't want to leave Sierra's side. If she left Sierra, even for a minute, who knows what other crazies could arrive? Last time she left Sierra, that Max moron showed up, and she didn't need anymore Max's. Josie laughed at that thought. Who was she kidding, Max wasn't so terrible - she didn't even really know the guy. She was bitter, so so bitter.

Sierra stood up and stretched, but Josie merely gawked up at her, her hands wrapped around her knees. "Going somewhere?" she thought to herself, but Sierra spoke before Josie could open her lips. She wanted to get moving, and Josie agreed with her. They had been in the mountains for quite awhile, for such an uncomfortable while, and it would probably be best to leave and go somewhere else. "I don't want to stay either," Josie admitted, her eyes glancing back to where Max and David were standing.

"Where thould we go, though?"

And the red-haired girl shook her head, running a hand through her unwashed locks. She could only imagine that she looked like hell. Her carefully applied makeup was probably streaming down her face in greasy globs, her porcelain skin was pecked with acne marks, her hair chunky and unappealing... She wanted a bath, a mirror, some makeup, but Josie had none of that. Well, she did have makeup, but she didn't give two shits about it here on this island. Who the fuck cared about what you looked like in such a twisted game? And if you did care what you looked like, no one else would.

Still, going someplace with a mirror would be nice. She could tidy up a bit, go someplace where she didn't have to rough it. A building... "Maybe we should check out some of the buildings that the map has on it.. There's like, a lighthouse, a hall of mirrors, uhm.. a parish or something? We could go to one of those," she added weakly, but she could already see the cons. It was different being out in the open: If someone spotted you in the outdoors, you could run. You could hide or take cover or something. But indoors? There was nothing except locked doors and windows, no where to go, trapped. It sounded like a bad idea, and Josie realized this the second she said it. "I dunno, maybe not. I think everywhere's gunna suck," she said with a shrug.

Josie looked over at where Max and David were standing. They were still talking, but there wasn't any fighting going on, so everything was hunky dory. Josie and Sierra could ditch those bozos without them even realizing it, and this was perhaps the better outcome out of many. Max and David would probably fare better without the two females, but Josie still didn't feel quite so good about ditching Max and leaving the two guys behind. It was probably because Josie was bound to run into many other guys or gals, and those guys or gals could prove to be gun-toting assholes with an ego that decided to present itself the moment that a gun came into its possession.

But Max wasn't a killer, and presumably, neither was this David dude. Josie wanted to group with someone eventually, but leaving behind good prospects seemed like a bit of a waste. What if she never met a civil human again? What if everyone from here on out were sociopathic cannibal? Josie didn't exactly believe that to be the case, but it still felt wrong to just leave those two guys behind. She was defenseless after all, and she didn't have trouble admitting it.

"Alright, we'll leave, but let's tell that Max guy first. Maybe we could get him to.. travel with us. You know, travel in numbers. It's probably safer," she added, sounding almost self-conscious. She definitely was self-conscious, but only because her words sounded so uncharacteristically Josie. Josie never talked about hanging out in packs or traveling in numbers or anything. Josie was so solitary and single, and that's why she only had one friend. Because one friend was all that she needed. She didn't need three or five or ten or two-hundred. Just one was fine, and she was fine with that.

But Survival of the Fittest was not her typical social situation, so she reserved the right to nose out of the box a bit. "I'll go get him, and we'll see about getting out of here."

Straightening herself up, Josie left Sierra's side and walked the short distance over to Max and David. She tapped Max's shoulder and nodded politely at David. "Uh, hi. Listen, Sierra and I were going to leave. We've just been in these mountains for awhile, and, I, uh.." Tripping over her words again, no way to elegantly say that she didn't want to leave Max behind because Max could be useful and Josie was anything but useful. Finally, she managed to blurt out, "Travel together? I mean, you, us, and.. Uh." She looked at David. "We could be a .. group, I guess.." Her cheeks were glowing now. This felt so stupid!

She was tempted to turn around and run, but it was too late now.
Posted Image

ZombiexCreame
Member Avatar
it was a graveyard smash
[ *  *  *  * ]
((I'm just going to post since Josie is going to go inactive soon..))

Josie felt relieved when Max agreed to team up with her. He didn't make much fuss about it, and she sort of expected him to make fun of her or tease her for her stuttering, embarrassed request. See, that wasn't so hard! It wasn't hard to make friends and ask people to team up, and for Josie, it really felt like something of a triumph. Maybe everything would be just great for once. A nice guy with a gun, plenty of protection, she hadn't been attacked and no corpses were in sight...

Yes, definitely time to let one's guard down a bit.

Josie managed a small smile and nodded her head. "Okay. Got any plans of where to go next?" she asked, but his focus was elsewhere. He was staring at something faraway, obviously trying to recall a memory or a thought or..

Maria Graham. The name was familiar, and Josie nodded slightly when Max uttered the name. "I know who you're talking about," she responded, brushing a stray hair from in front of her eyes. "We're not super close, but we've been to a few shows together," she commented, remembering some of the rock concerts she'd attended with a few others from school. It was the only time she could ever remember bonding with her classmates. Local band revenues, and Josie would have to say that she was a fan of Maria's music.

Unfortunately, she hadn't ran into Maria at all on the island, and she could only recall that the girl's name had been mentioned during one of the daily announcements. She had killed someone, just like Omar... Shaking her head sadly, Josie said, "No, sorry.. I haven't seen her."

Max wanted to find Maria, claiming that he was worried, and for a second, Josie could sympathize with him a bit. If Josie couldn't find Sierra, she would be driven mad with worry and guilt and who knows what else. She decided that, with no other goal in mind, she might as well try to help Max find his friend, even if she was a killer. But if Maria decides to go crazy and murder Max upon sight, Josie would not take the blame, and she would be the first one to run off in the other direction.. with Sierra at her side of course.

"I'll keep an eye out for her. We can look together," she said, managing a small smile.

Suddenly a grating sound reached her ears, and Josie looked around to locate the sound. It was a dragging noise, almost like nails on a chalk board, but not quite.. Someone was nearby, that much was sure. "Someone's nearby.." Josie muttered, slowly lowering herself into a crouch. The noise was getting closer and closer, and she was about to strain her neck with all the movement her head was doing...

"Aw, fuck."

Josie whipped around and realized that the person making the dragging sound was nearby, staring right at him. His eyes were fixed on Max, and in his hand was a shovel. Was that the thing making the noise? Josie could only assume so. She rose up into a stand after realizing several things: Firstly, this boy was aware that Max had a gun, so he wouldn't try anything. Secondly, he only had a lowly shovel, so it wasn't like a shovel-gun fight would prove to be that epic, (although a shovel would beat Josie's weapon by miles), and thirdly, Josie had no idea who this boy was, so who knows if his name had appeared on the announcement?

"Who are you?" she immediately questioned, defensively moving back to stand beside Sierra.
Posted Image

ZombiexCreame
Member Avatar
it was a graveyard smash
[ *  *  *  * ]
Josie crooked an eyebrow at David as he stumbled backwards. He really was an odd fellow... Something pretty bad must have scared him. He seemed like one of those traumatized catastrophe victims. She honestly felt sorry for him, and she doubted he meant harm, but... God, he was a little amusing to watch. In one moment, he trying to find cover, and the next, he was calling out to the stranger and assuring them of the small group's sincerity. Josie sighed loudly, but she decided not to say anything. She didn't want to yell at David for calling out to the stranger with the shovel, but that didn't change her suspicions... Sure, shovel-guy could be a great guy, but he could also be dangerous. She just wasn't sure.

Taking a step closer to Sierra, Josie noticed the panicked expression on her friend's face. She leaned in a touch closer and whispered, "It's okay, I doubt that guy will try anything... Max has a gun and stuff," she mentioned, offering a vague smile that quickly flickered away like a candle in a hurricane. Smiling kind of hurt her mouth a little.

Before the small group left the mountain, Max turned and addressed the stranger in a way that Josie would never be able to. He said it all so eloquently! There was no way that the shovel-boy could take that offensively... If it had been Josie addressing the stranger, she probably would have slipped a few expletives and maybe a glare or two. But Max's proclamation was reasonable: Leave the shovel or leave us. Sounds good. Josie surely didn't want trouble or anything. Hell, she didn't even want trouble to be in a 500 foot radius from herself and Sierra!

Slinging her bag over her shoulder, she smiled at Sierra and grabbed her bags too. "I got our stuff. Don't you worry about carrying anything, Sierra. I know you're tired." She slowly patted Sierra's shoulder and then turned around, following after Max with the heavy baggage of Sierra's and her own.

She didn't mind at all.

She was aware that David had lent Sierra his jacket during their walk off the mountain, and she found that rather sweet. She would have to thank him later because anyone nice to Sierra was a friend in her book.

((Josie Vernon continued in Down the Road, Not Across the Street))
Edited by ZombiexCreame, Feb 22 2011, 01:57 PM.
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Mountain · Next Topic »
Add Reply