Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Wind in the Willow
Topic Started: Nov 17 2010, 06:29 PM (3,979 Views)
Fiori
Member Avatar
The Fiorious One
[ *  *  *  * ]
((Marty J. Lovett and Joshua Krakowski continued from Life's a Beach))

Jesus... Who'd of thought finding a place to chillax would be so damn HARD?

Joshua Krakowski hadn't a clue just how long he'd been walking for with Marty slung over his back. It felt as if it had been three, four, or maybe even five hours since they'd left the beach. And as of yet, Joshua just couldn't find anywhere worthwhile to take five.

He'd been hoping that they'd come across a building of some description, like a shack or something. Somewhere with a roof over their heads and maybe even a nice bed to rest on. God knows how much Joshua missed sleeping in one of those... With some fluffy pillows, a comfy duvet, the works. He'd cut his own arm off for a soft bed right about now.

Well, no point moping about it... God, I wonder how the others are doing?

He turned back to observe the others to see how they were doing. Weary and tired from the look of it... Come to think of it, so was he. Roofed Shelter or not, they had to find a spot to kick back and relax before somebody dropped dead from exhaustion.

*Sigh* Damn. I guess we could just...... Hey wait, what's that noise? It sounds like... A stream, of some sort.

Sure enough, it was a stream of some sort. A long, thin stream which suddenly blocked their path. The would-be rocker was about to consider trying to find a way around it, or maybe even wading through it when he spotted a large willow tree further along. One which seemed to provide both ample cover and a temporary place of refuge... PERFECT!

Motioning the others to follow, Joshua quickly made his way over to the tall willow and laid his friend gently at it's base, making sure to not let his head fall back and slam against the tree or something stupid like that. It'd be incredibly annoying for him to have gone all this way only for Marty to then break his neck because he hadn't been careful enough. He seemed fine now... Still out cold, but fine nevertheless. The fact that he was actually still alive was enough to put a smile on Joshua at that moment. He'd done it! He'd actually done it! He'd found Marty, alive and... Well, unconscious. But after hearing about Daniel Vaughan's horrific death on the first announcement Joshua was more then glad to know that Marty hadn't met a similarly horrific fate.

Still, now THAT problem was taken care of, all he had to do now was find out why his friend had been hit over the head with a crowbar in the first place. There had to be SOME reason as to why that girl (Michelle or somethin'?) would have done such a thing. Chances are, they probably freaked him out or something. Marty always was a bit skittish, especially around girls. And with all the crazy crap going on with the collars and everything, it wouldn't of taken much to cause the poor guy to panic...

Anyway, better start asking some questions.

He stood up from where he'd laid Marty and turned to the others, scratching his head as he considered what to ask them.

"Hey, uh, sorry about freakin' out earlier. Its just I... Lost some good friends of mine the other day." He said, the memories of the announcement and the tragic events surrounding it returning briefly to haunt him. "So I was kinda worried when I saw Marty get hit over the head and everything... What exactly happened back there anyway?"
V5 Characters

Brian Zhdanovich - Homestead
Ruby Forrester - Shopping Mall
Jenna Rhodes - Hotel

Deceased V4 Characters
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Fiori
Member Avatar
The Fiorious One
[ *  *  *  * ]
The would-be rocker listened with great interest as Aston began to explain what had led them to hit Marty over the head like that.

As it turned out, Joshua's guess about what had happened was more-or-less right on the money. Marty got scared, everyone began to panic, and before any of them knew it BAM! Somebody decided to take things into their own hands and shut the poor guy up. He began to feel somewhat embarrassed as he recalled how he had reacted to the situation by running in and waving a gun (Well, a small crossbow pistol thingy anyway) around like some lunatic. He was actually kind of surprised things hadn't gotten worse after his little overreaction.

"Yeah, I can see that happening actually... Marty always was a bit jumpy whenever he's worried about something. He's a good guy most of the time, y'know? Its just he tends to get a little... I dunno, paranoid whenever things get rough..."

She then began to go on about the possible aftereffects of the injury inflicted against his friend. Which, from the sound of things, weren't so good... Joshua wasn't exactly sure what the exactly happened when somebody had a concussion. They get a bit dizzy, maybe suffer from amnesia... Something like that? She then also noted the possibility of brain damage, which caused Joshua to gulp in fear. He remembered hearing about this kid in one of the earlier games who got hit over the head with a stick or something and ended up becoming a massive serial killer. Went on to kill several people before finally getting taken down by the top player. The idea of that kind of thing happening to Marty worried Joshua more then a little... Then again, the idea of Marty not waking up at all was something Joshua didn't even want to think about.

He paused for a moment to take all the information in before Aston began speaking again. "Do you mind...if I have a look at him? Just to check the extent of the bruising and damage and stuff?"

"Huh? Oh yeah, sure. Go right ahead..." he said, shifting out of the way to give Aston some room to do whatever she needed to do. Joshua couldn't really tell himself how bad the injury was. He didn't think Marty looked THAT bad, but then again he wasn't exactly the best person to ask for medical advice. Hell, he was probably the worst person on the entire island to ask for advice about pretty much anything medical related other then putting a plaster on someone.

The short goth girl (Anna something?) began to suggest the idea of using willow bark to help out Marty, only to then immediately dismiss the idea as being silly. Which was a shame, because Joshua was actually beginning to like the idea of using the tree to their advantage. It would have been worth a shot anyway...

"Do you think he's... he's alright?"

Joshua shrugged. "I... I dunno man. I ain't a doctor or anything. I HOPE he's alright and stuff, but like you said. He might be suffering from brain damage or somethin' from all I know..." he replied, turning and referring to Aston. In all honesty, the idea of Marty being permanently changed chilled Joshua right to the bone. He couldn't imagine what life would be like if his best friend in the world became some kind of deranged maniac just because some bitch decided to whack him over the head with a frickin' crowbar.

Speaking of bitches, Michelle began to explain what had happened from her perspective. He didn't really hear anything he hadn't already picked up from Aston, but from the sound of things Michelle seemed at the very least to regret having done what she did. At least, Joshua ASSUMED she regretted doing it. She never outwardly admitted it...

"Nah, its cool... Can't say I really blame you" he joked, trying to inject some humour into the sombre situation. "Its this island man. This fuckin' island... It messes with your head, y'know? Makes people do things. TERRIBLE things. Like, killing people and torturing 'em and stuff... Jesus, who'd of thought anyone back at Bayview would have the balls to DO such a thing? Hell if I know... Hell if I know...

"What happened here?"

The hell?!?

"Is this man dead?"

The would-be rocker turned his attention to the newly arrived figure. Namely the (in)famous Rachel Gettys. Joshua remembered her back at Bayview... Always going around preaching Christianity like it was going out of style or something. Being something of a mix between being agnostic and Jewish, Joshua himself never really understood what the whole fuss was about. So what if not everyone believed in the same religion, or any religion whatsoever. Its not they're harming anyone... Besides, if god DID exists, Joshua was sure that he wouldn't be that picky when it came to deciding who goes to heaven or whatever.

This of course, was all irrelevant at that point in time. And whilst Joshua was surprised at Rachel's appearance, he couldn't help but have a feeling that something wasn't quite right. He couldn't put his finger on it, but something at the back of his head told him that he'd heard Rachel's name being mentioned at some point in the past... Maybe one of the girls mentioned it in a conversation or something?

"Hey Rachel. Uh, no, he's just kinda unconscious at the moment..." He replied, not particularly sure how to react to her sudden arrival. And before Joshua even knew it, ANOTHER person popped out of the bloom and started offering assistance. In a cool Australian accent as well.

Wow... What the heck are the chances that TWO people came across her hiding place at the same time? Seriously though, its actually kinda creepin' me out...

Not knowing how to react to the new arrivals, all Joshua would muster up was an awkward "Uh..." in reply to the Aussie running across the steam in his direction.
V5 Characters

Jenna Rhodes - Hotel

Deceased V4 Characters

Fiori
Member Avatar
The Fiorious One
[ *  *  *  * ]
"That's Rachel Gettys. She's killed. Twice. We're all in fucking danger here. Get everyone to move away quickly, and I'll stay and hold her off. If you wanna stay here, you can, you have a gun of some sort and you look like you stand a hell of a better chance than the other two girls and your unconsious friend there."

Joshua almost froze on the spot. It wasn't until that point that he remembered where he had heard Rachel's name being mentioned... Namely twice during the announcements as the killer of Theo Behr and Edward Belmont.

Oh jeez... Okay, stay calm Josh. She doesn't seem to be tryin' to kill anyone JUST yet. Probably best to keep it that way...

The others began to whisper to one another, Anna suggesting to take Marty upstream whilst Michelle asked Aston if she could have her crowbar back. Whilst Joshua nodded his approval for Anna's suggestion, he couldn't help but notice that Rachel was observing them the whole time...

"Psst, guys. I think she's watching us..."

"You people and your mutterings, I come not to kill, but to save, so you can relax."

The living anachronism almost jumped in fear after hearing that, half-expecting her to strike at any second. Which she didn't of course. If anything, she seemed to be a lot saner then he first realised. If anything, Joshua was beginning to suspect that he might of been wrong about her after all.

Sure, she's a little bitchy now and again, but that doesn't mean she's an instant psycho or anything!

Then she began a speech about they were going to get off the island via Heaven... Or, something along those lines.

...Nope, I was right the first time. She's nuttier then a fruitcake. Figures...

He gave Ben a funny look when he began to speak to Rachel as if he didn't already take the hint that she had a screw loose. Maybe he was pretending to believe what she was saying in order to get on her good side? That made a lot of sense actually... Humouring her and playing along so that she doesn't try to get all divine retribution on their asses.

Then again, maybe Ben Powell was just being an idiot. Either way made sense.

"Uh, yeah! That sounds great Sarah, I mean, Rachel! But um... Me an' the girls already kinda have a plan of escape ourselves. Thanks for the offer though! I mean, REALLY thanks!" the wannabe rocker said, putting on the cheesiest smile he could handle given the situation. It wasn't often that he came face to face with a complete psychopath who'd committed blatant murder on more then one occasion. Sure, he saw R.J shoot a girl in the chest, but that was different. R.J was acting out of self defence, which Joshua saw personally... Rachel, on the other hand, only claimed that she had done her kills out of self-defence. And considering that she 'defended' herself twice in a row, Joshua was more then a little sceptical.

Oh, don't forget to wink!

Sure enough, he turned his head to Aston and the others and gave a 'subtle' wink.

Jesus, where's the goddamn Batman when you really need him!
V5 Characters

Jenna Rhodes - Hotel

Deceased V4 Characters

Fiori
Member Avatar
The Fiorious One
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well, so far so good. Rachel wasn't trying to bash their brains in JUST yet. Which considering her kill count and mental state was probably a good sign...

Only problem now was that Joshua didn't really know what to do next.

Thankfully though, Aston seemed to have a much better grip on the situation then he did, ordering Michelle and Anne to take Marty downstream and away from Little Miss Wacko without even breaking a sweat. He would have objected to having his best friend moved without his permission if it wasn't for the fact that, well, to be honest he totally agreed with her. Plus, given the circumstances complaining over something as trivial as that would be a LITTLE stupid...

Man, wish I could order people around like that...

However, as his two companions picked his friend up, Rachel as it seemed decided to leave on her own accord anyway. After telling them that something wondrous(?) was about to happen in a couple of days first of course...

"Stay alive, and may His blessings fall upon you."

"Uh, yeah, seeya!" Joshua replied, waving goodbye to the disappearing figure of Rachel Gettys in the distance. Just smile and wave Josh... Just smile and wave.

.....Okay, she's gone.

"Phew! Man, that was a close one huh?" he said, wiping a bead of sweat from his forehead as he did so.

"I'm... Guessing this means we don't have to move Marty then? I mean, the occasional nutball aside, I kinda like it he-"

Uuugh...

The would-be rocker stopped mid-sentence, his heartbeat freezing as his ears picked up the undeniable noise of someone groaning. A weak, painful groan at that. Not wasting any time, his eyes quickly darted about the area for the cause of this noise, his crossbow pistol raised in case of some ambush. Aw crap, not again! Who is it this time?!? What if it's Sarah Atwell? Or that British dude Maxwell? Or... Oh god, what if it's a zombie! Holy shit, what if theres zombies on the island!?!

Wait, zombies don't exist... Right? Besides, that noise came from Marty's directio....

.....Marty? Is that...

Sure enough, the source of the groaning noise came from none other then his close friend and compadre Marty, who at that very moment was slowly but surely awaking from unconsciousness....

"Marty? MARTY!"

Joshua dropped his gun onto the floor as he rushed over to his friend's side, a wide and hopeful smile appearing on his face as tears began to swell in his eyes.

For the first time since he'd arrived, Joshua was beginning to feel lucky again.
V5 Characters

Jenna Rhodes - Hotel

Deceased V4 Characters

Fiori
Member Avatar
The Fiorious One
[ *  *  *  * ]
Darkness...

Thats all he could see at that moment in time. Well, for the past couple of hours to be exact.

At least, as far as he could remember, there was nothing but darkness. From all Marty knew, he could have been dreaming the whole time. Well, if he HAD been dreaming, he certainly didn't remember a single thing about it.

Come to think of it, he couldn't really remember much at that moment in time, as his eyes slowly opened and the world around him seemed to be nothing more then a dizzy faze. All he could think of right there and then was the fact that was currently experiencing the worst headache he'd ever had in his entire life. It was as if the back of his head had literally cracked open like an egg, spilling all its contents all over the floor behind him.

...Okay, that's an image I know i'm going to regret coming up with.

Thankfully, the back of his head hadn't been split open. It was bruised and somewhat battered, yes, but apart from that it was more-or-less intact. Didn't make his splitting headache any less painful though...

His blurry vision slowly cleared over time, as did his hearing. He could vaguely make out shapes and voice now. There were several people standing around him, talking to one another. He couldn't tell who (or what?) they were, but he guessed that they might of been talking about him. Well, possibly talking about him. Its not as if he was the centre of attention or anything... Then again, the fact that he couldn't remember the past couple of hours didn't help matters.

The last thing he could recall was lying back in his pink tent after going for a whizz for the thirteenth time in a row. Other then that, it was all a complete blurr. Had he fallen asleep or something? Is that it? Because it felt like he'd been asleep for a HELL of a long time then. He certainly didn't remember going to sleep anyway... He remembered being very awake before his memory cut off.

Besides, one thing he was aware of right now was the fact that his tent was missing. And that there was some greenish blob above him cutting his view from the sun. And that he wasn't lying on a sandy beach anymore... The evidence was pretty damn conclusive of the fact that he'd been moved without himself even realising it.

What the heck happened? Did he sleepwalk into the middle of the woods or something? Did a bunch of people kidnap him whilst he was still asleep? Was he... dead?

No, he definitely wasn't dead. Dead people as far as Marty was aware of didn't have headaches...

His vision and hearing cleared up a bit more now. He could tell that he was underneath a tree of some description, and that the people around him were talking about... something. He couldn't tell quite yet. He recognized some of the voices though. There was Michelle, saying something about being happy. He could tell Ben Powell's voice from his Australian accent. And there was also...

...Wait, was that?

No way, surely...

"J... Joshua?"

His friend, who at that very moment was by his side, couldn't have been more relieved.

"Marty! Oh man, I knew you would pull through in the end!"

"Josh? Whu... What happened? Where are we?"

"Oh god... Don't tell me you've got amnesia! Oh shit, I was afraid of this happening! Look, my name is Joshua Krakowski. And YOUR name is Marty J. Lovett. We're friends, okay! We were..."

"I don't have amnesia Josh. At least, not severe amnesia anyway..."

The shorter boy slowly helped himself up, only to fall back onto his backside again. He was awake, that enough was clear. But he was far from stable enough to stand on his own two feet again.

"Last thing I remember, I was laying back in my tent waiting for the next announce..."

Then it all came back to him.

The island. The announcements. The gunfire. Jimmy freaking out in front of him. He remembered then where he was and what was going on around them.

And the fact that his best friend Joshua was standing right in front of him finally hit.

"Joshua... You're okay!"

That was more then a big enough cue for the taller boy to wrap his arms around Marty and give him a friendly bear hug, nearly choking his best friend after their prolonged absence.

"Oh man, I never thought we'd ever see each other again! I-I mean, after Daniel died, I almost lost all hope y'know? But now... Oh Marty!"

"Hey hey, its cool... Its cool... Now, uh, would you mind letting go of me for a second. I think you're slowly choking me to death."

The would-be-rocker let go almost immediately, his face going red when he realised that everyone had been watching them the whole time. Jesus, I hope they don't get the wrong idea or anything...

"So, uh, how's your head?"

"It hurts like a bitch... No idea what the hell happened."

At that moment, Marty turned his head to observe the others surrounding them. He couldn't recognize any of them from before... At least, he didn't recognize them just yet. Temporary memory loss wasn't exactly a permanent side effect, hence the term "temporary". What it did mean however was that at that moment in time, he had no clue why these people were around him. Or why he was here in the middle of the woods.

Or what happened to his god-damn tent!

Still, Joshua seemed to trust these people, so Marty didn't have much reason to worry just yet.

"Uh, hey. Um, anyone care to explain why I've got this throbbing headache? Or even better, how the heck I got here?"
V5 Characters

Jenna Rhodes - Hotel

Deceased V4 Characters

Fiori
Member Avatar
The Fiorious One
[ *  *  *  * ]
"I found you on the beach."

Ahuh...

"Then she came along."

I see...

"Then she came along."

Yeah... But that doesn't explain how I go here, does it?

"You freaked out."

......Ah.

"I... Freaked out a bit."

I think I can see where this is going...

"She almost killed you with a fucking crowbar, and then, your friend here came along and stopped her from doing any more damage."

Well... As much as Marty hated to admit it, freaking out at the first sign of life sounded like exactly the kind of thing he'd do in this kind of situation. That along with the fact that Aston's story explained why he had such a killer headache led him to believe that she was probably telling the truth

"Shit... Guess I ought to thank you for not finishing the job." he said, attempting something of a joke despite his grievous condition. "Now you mention it, I think I vaguely remember something about a trio of girls all talking at once... I dunno, maybe it'll come back to me later or something. Uh, sorry about freaking out and stuff..."

The boy with short hair turned his head as he felt Joshua's firm grip on his shoulder, the would-be rocker giving him a friendly shake. "Hey, its cool man. You don't have to worry about a thing now. These are good people... They stopped some psychobitch from converting us into her weird Christian-knockoff suicide cult thingey earlier. I'm sure we'll all be-"

Suddenly, and without warning, the speakers all across the island suddenly burst into life and began to list out the dead once more. 25 this time... Way more then Josh was particularly comfortable with. The deal with Liz Polaski getting a bunch of kids killed was bad enough without the fact that many more were being killed anyway through more traditional methods.

Damn, poor guys... Shit, R.J. killed another person?!? God, I hope that was out of self defence. It'd be terrible if it turned out that R.J. had turned into just another psych......

"After a day of inactivity, Reiko Ishida returned to her two-a-day program, shooting Rizzo Vitoria and then strangling Carol Burke...."

...Oh shit.

Slowly, Joshua turned back to his friend. Of all the people that had been announced, Joshua knew for a fact that Carol in particular would be one which would hurt Marty more than any of the others. Marty had a crush on Carol after all, and considering the fact that the last time either of them saw one another was back at the prom...

Sure enough, at that moment in time Marty just sat silently there with a shocked look in his eyes. He didn't take note of what was happening around him, or who was talking, or anything. He couldn't honestly care less. At that moment in time, Marty could only think of one thing...

Carol... No, bullshit. Total bullshit. This... No way. I must be hearing things! She's not dead damnit! She can't be dead! She can't be...

He barely registered the slow beeping on his collar. Or the fact that Joshua was tugging on his arm repeatedly. It wasn't until the taller boy literally dragged him to his feet by his collar that he took notice of him at all.

"Damnit Marty, we've gotta get out of here NOW! I'm sorry about Carol, but we can't do anything about it! Now c'mon, lets get the hell out of here!"

Without even waiting for an answer, Joshua dragged Marty along with him as he ran in Anna's direction. Marty scrambled along, not even acknowledging where he was heading. Or thinking about what he was doing as he trudged alongside Joshua.

Quite frankly, if it wasn't for Joshua's intervention he might of been happy to just sit and wait for the danger-zone to finish him off.

Carol...

((Marty and Joshua continued in And As If Things Couldn't Get Any Worse))
Edited by Fiori, Feb 6 2011, 09:59 AM.
V5 Characters

Jenna Rhodes - Hotel

Deceased V4 Characters

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
« Previous Topic · The Woods: Inland · Next Topic »
Add Reply