Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
House of the Rising Sun; Day 4: Private
Topic Started: Nov 14 2010, 06:23 AM (5,602 Views)
xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
((Helen Wilson continued from Faraday's Cages))

Helen recieved the note from Winnie, and read it three times before passing it on, her heart thudding. Why was it that they seemed to attract rescue attempts? Not that she was complaining particularly about that, she would give most her limbs to escape this island (and then dedicate the rest of her life to stem cell research with the intention of growing new ones), but still, it made her uneasy. There was always a nagging voice in the back of her brain saying if you find somewhere good to hide then you'll be fine, just stay out of trouble, but she would probably be smoked out. Also, the countering part of her brain was telling her to enjoy herself, these were probably her last few days, yes, but why not go out with a bit of a bang, as Ethan Kent had done?

She had impressed herself with her ability to accept her fate. Helen had never given herself much credit for being a strong person, always assumed that she'd be the first to crack under a high pressure environment such as... batshit crazy island where half her classmates were out to kill her.

Staring at the contraption on the floor, she couldn't figure out if she felt more excited or fearful. It this went wrong they would probably all by killed. If this went right, they might all be saved. One of them was going to have to sacrifice themselves to get the information across, probably, the minute they started blurting information as to the island's location across the broadcast they were sure to get their collars blown. Immediately, and without telling anyone, she felt herself back down from that task. She needed to think of a way to get out of having to do it. If no one volunteered themselves what would happen? Would they draw straws? Decide it on the roll of a dice?

The time in silence gave Helen too much time to think. She thought about Liz, and wondered how she was getting on. Had anyone else managed to disable their collar with her help? Had she made it to the tunnels? She thought about their own mortality. She wondered what kind of information would be revealed, and a tiny part of her almost hoped that it wasn't anything useful so that they wouldn't have to sacrifice someone. To try and distract herself from her thoughts she started reading the book that she'd brought on the trip with her. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. It was difficult to get into and required a lot of concentration, which made it a terrible choice for a camping holiday, but a brilliant choice for their current situation when she needed to switch off. She found a pen in her bag a scrawled a quote on the wall, wanting to leave her mark for prosperity.

Strength is just an accident arising from the weakness of others

Bored of reading, she had a turn on the bicycle. When bored and tired from that, and after realising that it was just another opportunity to think, she got off and watched Dave and Izzy play noughts and crosses for a while. She retrieved a notebook from her bag (which she had been hiding so that it wouldn't get used for noughts and crosses) and wrote something on a bit of paper, something that had been bothering her for a while. It had first occurred toh er on the bike. This she showed to a couple of people in the room, wondering what their thoughts on it were. Because the truth was, she reckoned she probably would have tried.

"If Danya had promised a free ticket off the island in exchange for killing Liz, would you have done it?"
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

shiny shiny V5 concepts (now with clickies)
Phoebe Cho - I shall be playing Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor. Wizard!
Harry Hanley - I've got Hershey's at half price today! Get 'em quick before I have rehearsal!
Lor Van Diepen - I'm gonna make a video later. About running. Does that sum me up enough?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
Suddenly everything seemed to happen at once. She had been reading, the silence and general scent of productivity in the air had led her to storm through her book and she was more than two thirds of the way through. She had written more quotes that she thought were pertinent on the wall, just underneath the first.

"The silence driven away by the stamping of our feet flowed back again from the recesses"

"We penetrated deeper and deeper into the heart of darkness. It was very quiet there"

When Roland and Kitty walked in, her heart had begun to thud, and she feared that the game might be up. Their collars would explode and they would be in the same state as poor Ethan propped against the outer wall. But they appeared smart, and they said nothing, and Kitty held up a notice to them suggesting that they talk with paper. Helen was slightly affronted as she'd being doing that anyway and wanted credit for her own idea. But she knew that she wanted friends rather than enemies and hid the transient thought from her face, instead writing something in her own notebook.

Great minds think alike!

Just then there was a flurry around the computer, as it appeared that there was success. Their afternoon's work had accounted for something. Helen's eyes widened, and she focussed on staying calm. It would be no good now if everything were to go up in smoke because the pulses of a bunch of teenagers in a camera free hut all suddenly rose for no reason. Their discovery would die along with them. Helen watched Feo write some stuff down, presumably the stuff of their dreams. The information that would lead to their rescue and the end of the whole program. The saving of future generation. And she had been a part of it. Helen felt pride bubble in her throat. It was now even more important than ever that she didn't die. She needed to stay alive until rescue came. How she was going to do that without appearing cowardly, after all Ethan had already given his life for their cause, she didn't immediately know.

Helen turned a page in her notebook, and walked up to Feo. She scribbled two words in large letters and pointed them in her direction.

Now what?
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

Phoebe Cho - I shall be playing Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor. Wizard!
Harry Hanley - I've got Hershey's at half price today! Get 'em quick before I have rehearsal!
Lor Van Diepen - I'm gonna make a video later. About running. Does that sum me up enough?

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
Helen nodded at Isabel neatly dished out instructions, quite happy to comply. She knew a tiny amount of morse code. Well, she knew S, and O, and how to flash out her name, the latter being a skill that was never going to be useful. When would she ever need to say "Helen" via morse code? It might have been better to learn "We are high school students kidnapped on an island, our coordinates are these" but in fairness, that wasn't something her Girl Scout leader could have predicted. She walked up to Roland, who apparently knew the whole alphabet, and scribbled something down on her bit of paper.

"Hey, if you write down a key for the morse code I can help you write it. I already know S, O, H, E, L and N." Lots of words you could make with that...

This whole thing was starting to make her feel very uncomfortable. What were the odds that someone who knew morse code would walk in just as they cracked into some secret information that they needed to transmit somehow to the outside world. Helen felt her pulse quicken, and she fluttered her hands over the collar on her neck. Was it a good idea, this staying quiet thing? Maybe they should be making normal conversation about the weather and people who had died and jokey ways of escaping, the sort of things they always talked about. They must know where they were, and as it was, they were all being very quiet in an area that was currently not in camera view. If that hadn't ignited their suspicion then she didn't know what would. Unless they were all distracted by Liz. If that was the case... then they probably owed their lives to her. Just as Liz owed her life to her. Maybe.

Life was beautifully symmetrical sometimes.

Passing her scribbled not to Roland, Helen took a glance around at the people in the station. There was her, Isabel who had suddenly become leader. Dave, whom she suspected had a bad history with Roland was stood near Winnie, looking as terrified as she had done when they'd first come across her. Charlie was absent, Helen had seen her leave for a shower with her bag, and become instantly aware with dull feeling that she probably wasn't coming back. Then there was Feo, the one who had orchestrated the whole thing and who had build the contraption and found the information. Really, this was all down to her. Roland and Kitty she didn't know well, she had shared a Home Ec class with Kitty a few years back, and was pretty sure Roland had popped up in a class or two, but they had never really talked. They seemed to know Dave and Isabel and share some awkward Island history, something Helen didn't feel was a good thing.

She took a sip of water, almost enjoying the sudden flurry of activity (she was very near the end of her book, only it was about the most boring book she'd ever read and she wanted it to be over with, even if it was probably going to be the last one before she died, at least she would be a little bit more well read than she had been before).
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
For fuck's SAKE!

Why did they always seem to end up running away from things? Running away from Liz because she'd turned into a time bomb. Running away from the Ranger station because the whole thing had turned into a time bomb (with precisely three minutes left to go). Always running, never peaceful, though perhaps that was the nature of the game. She was kicking herself for not thinking about this sooner; of course they were going to become a danger zone, there were no cameras, and Helen had a feeling that the terrorists didn't like not knowing what was going on. Even as the announcement started, she had a sinking feeling that that was what was going to happen, giving herself a couple of minutes to mentally prepare (she didn't want to actually prepare just in case they were spared; that would just make her look stupid).

Time had passed quickly, and yet oh so slowly at the same time. She'd barely even been aware that it was night, there seemed to have been a lot of light coming from somewhere. Glancing down; there was a torch in her own hand. They were so used to working in the dark that it had become second nature. It might also have stemmed from the fact that she had woken up in the tunnels where it was permanently nighttime.

Still, as everyone realised, and Isabel changed her plan and Dave dragged Winnie away, Helen moved straight for the contraption, and with a sudden burst of strength dragged the exercise bike away from the computer, pulling out the cables attaching it to the process as she did so, a sudden spark of electricity momentarily looking like it might cause a fire (which, she was now realising, might have been a good way to hide what they had done) before frittering away . The cables and wires were yanked from the computer and stuffed them into her bag. Her eyes flicked to the sheets of paper detailing what they had found, and she grabbed a handful of them too, indicating the rest of them to some of the couple of other people who were still only just making their exit. If they were going to get split up (as she had a sinking feeling might happen) they wanted their discovery to make it to as much of the island as possible. Feeling that she had done her part in hiding what they had done, she grabbed her bag and sprinted for the door, pausing for half a second to see where everyone else had gone.

Just disappearing through the debris that surrounded the station, she could see Dave and Winnie, and glancing round at some of the others she could still see, pointed the direction she was planning on heading in, and then started to run, using every little bit of cross country training she had ever had to try and catch up with them.

((Helen Wilson continued in -.-- -.-- --..))
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
« Previous Topic · The Ranger Station · Next Topic »
Add Reply