Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Not What I was Expecting; Pm Private~
Topic Started: Nov 11 2010, 02:15 PM (1,802 Views)
Jonny
Member Avatar
You hate kings and you think kings are really stupid. They are petty, bossy tyrants and are really full of themselves and are basically awful in every way.
[ *  *  * ]
(Julian Avery continued from Walk Away)

On a page in a notepad, in a pocket in a daypack on a boy's back, upstairs in a hall of mirrors on an island, there was a list. It was a list of names. Boys' names, girls' names. Some of them had tally marks next to each other. Two, three, four, five of them. The boy had crossed the first name out, but none of the others. Not yet. Keep looking down the list until you get to the third-to-last name. Do you recognize it? It is the boy's name. It is Julian Avery.

Julian Avery, who was actually a little disappointed with how Danya had announced his murder. Really, Danya? No mention of the casual sadism? Disappointing shit. Danya had instead started talking about Julian being out for justice and shit. Now it was like, the moment someone saw Julian and he wasn't riding on a white horse with a billowy cape, they'd be all This is bullshit, I was lied to. And then all of a sudden it comes down to fisticuffs, because dealing with that level of disappointment and betrayal is pretty damn hard.

So Julian had managed to sneak into the upstairs of this place a while back and gone to sleep for the night. It seemed like as safe a place as any to camp out, since it was indoors and fairly out of the way. And besides, with all the mirror around here? If someone wanted to try and kill Julian in his sleep, they'd first have to figure out which one was the real Julian. And so, safe atop his fortress of illusion, Julian had set himself down to rest for the night (murder tends to get you all tuckered out).

And now he was awake, and there were some people downstairs. Threats? No, probably not threats. Probably not in the conventional sense of the word, probably not a duo (trio? He could make out two voices but maybe someone was just being shy) of hardened killers itching to become tally marks next to Julian's name. Probably just a pair (threesome?) of scared folks trying to find a building where they weren't going to get murdered.

Which didn't actually make the situation any better. Not necessarily. Because there was a damn good reason Julian had been avoiding contact with those who hadn't murdered anyone yet. Namely, there was pretty much nothing good that could come of it. Maaaaybe someone had seen a killer and could try to give Julian a location on them? So hooray, he'd know where Max Lombardi had been two days ago and could accordingly use some science and shit to extrapolate his current position.

Way more likely, though, was that something terrible happened as soon as someone innocent saw Julian. Julian, the killer. Julian, the- holy shit, he just moved his arm, is he pulling a gun on us, we need to take him down right now right now right now. Julian, the- oh Christ he's just too scary and we need to run away, run away really loudly and really blindly in a way that leads us into somewhere dangerously and gets our terrified asses killed. Would that count as a kill for Julian? He's looking for some tally marks, you know.

But now this neat little plan of avoiding non-killers had failed. Two (three?) people down there, no exits up here, one of them even talking about how she'd just found a set of stairs. Fuck. Time to make an introduction. Be personable, and all that. Start taking a few steps down the stairs, not too quiet not too loud, and poke your head out so you can get a good look at your new friends.

"Sup?" Julian looked the two (just two) over, hands and his pockets and a calm expression. Oh, that dashing rogue. "Alex and... Jess, right?"

Be nice to these girls, Julian. They seem sweet and they are probably scared and they really do not need any of your bullshit right now.
Jeremy Franco is alive. You can write a better ending, goddammit.

Charlie DuClare is dead. And nothing was easy anymore except to smile.
Julian Avery is dead. Courage was the man with a gun in his hand.
JJ Sturn is dead. Fuck it, all good things gotta come to an end.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jonny
Member Avatar
You hate kings and you think kings are really stupid. They are petty, bossy tyrants and are really full of themselves and are basically awful in every way.
[ *  *  * ]
Hmm. No cowering, no hasty flight, no weapons hurriedly raised with a desperate attempt to defend themselves from that terrible terrifying boy. Unexpected. Maybe not in a bad way? But still not something Julian had planned for. Maybe he oughta cut these girls some slack, maybe it was just that not everyone was being as OCD about knowing who had bodycounts as he was. Maybe it was that they did know what he'd done, but... for whatever reason, they weren't bringing it up? Eh, no. No for whatever reason about it. Starting a conversation out with some variation of So I hear you're a murderer who does murders is gonna be incredibly uncomfortable. Nobody could be blamed for trying to steer the discussion to a nice safe topic like I enjoy not getting murdered, do you also enjoy this activity? So it looks like it's gonna fall to Julian to break the ice on that one particular uncomfortable front.

Awkward.

"Yeah, that's pretty much it. This place seems pretty safe, so y'all and hide out here long as you need, but, ah..." I do murders. Would you like to hear about the murders I do. There is just the one murder so far but it was a pretty good murder and I think more murders will be on their way if I have anything to say about it. "Aight, full disclosure."

"I got me a sword and a handgun that I-" pivoted a little so the girls could see them hanging from his belt, see what he was talking about, "- here, can you see 'em? But I ain't planning on drawin' 'em, so uh, guess you don't need to worry on that front? Sword was my assigned weapon. Gun was something I took off Omar Burt after..."

This pause lasts for an eternity.

"After I killed him. So if you're all of a sudden feeling less than thrilled about staying in the same building as me, I get that." So who's gonna leave, provided they are less than thrilled? It would probably have to be Julian. It would probably be a bit of a dick move if he went and stayed now. I am a murderer, pleased to meet you, now get out of my murderhouse. Or else I will

They'd just let him pass by, right? It wasn't like, well... no, there was definitely a rifle here, so that might have just... just... cost him his life right there. That might have just doomed him to a firefight because they weren't gonna let him go now that he'd confessed to a fucking murder and he didn't even show any remorse look at how he didn't show any remorse look at how nonchalant he was, he seemed like the kind of asshole who wouldn't even cry at his mom's funeral so let's just sentence him to death right here right now. There, Julian will die and the matter is settled. But, uh... cheer up because... well... there are worse things that could happen, right?

There are worse things that could happen, right?

Jonny
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
He's good.

Who's good? You're good. It's you, Julian. Nobody else here she could be talking about. No, don't act surprised. Don't wonder how she could think such a- don't even try that shit. You know exactly why she's saying you're good. Omar was a bad guy, right? He killed Warren. Warren did nothing wrong. Maybe Jessie here was best friends with Warren, maybe she saw the murder go down. Omar was the bad guy. You killed the bad guy. You slew the monster. Makes you a hero, right? That's what heroes do. Adam Dodd killed some bad guys. Bryan Calvert killed some bad guys. And now you. And now people will like you and praise you. And now the island is a safer place because of you. And now you should just keep saying that, keep saying that, maybe enough times that you'll actually believe it.

Alex has the right idea. She's gonna get the fuck out because that's just what you do when there's a killer in the room. An unrepentant killer, to boot. Right? He didn't say he was sorry about it. Didn't say it was an accident. Didn't try to weasel his way out of the responsibility- oh, how brave that boy is! He would never hold his peace just because he was scared to death of what hell the words would bring down on him. Right? Yeah, of course. So tell them the rest, before they're gone.

Tell them, Julian. You can do it, champ. Start from the top. Tell them,

I lied to him about who I was, so that I could get close enough to stab him without worrying too much about his gun. I listened to him tell me why he'd killed Warren. I listened as he talked about the girl he loved, the girl he was gonna make sure won this game. I listened to all of that, I told him I believed him, and then I stabbed him through his stomach. He didn't fight back. He didn't have time. He just fell back and I stood there not giving a shit. I told him he ought to start repenting for what he'd done. He started to call me out on my bullshit, so I cut his throat. I don't think I left anything out. If you've got any questions, I'm up for answering them.

Oh, hey, look. They're already gone. Funny how that happened.

Thank you. Last thing she said to you. Words of encouragement. Words of hope, in a manner of speaking. Maybe that was why you held your silence? Didn't want to break her heart. Didn't want to pull off the mask and show her that the hero was just another monster. It'd have broken her and you know it. She gets to be happy now. She gets to believe that heroes exist. That she met one. Yeah, no, that made sense. That was why you didn't tell her. That was a perfectly good explanation. That was

Complete bullshit. And you know it. You had your chance. You were so pissed off at Danya when he announced you as a hero. You thought how could he? You thought I'll fix that mistake! You thought, way back when you were coming up with this plan in the first place, that anyone you met from now on would either try and kill you or run like hell. And you thought this was right and proper. And you told yourself that, yes, you would live with the consequences. You would rally your forces and you would spread moral truths. You would watch as they all ran away from you, and you would nod wisely because you knew it had to be that way. And then one didn't run. And what did you do.

You could've made her run. Easy. So easy. Killing Omar was so easy. Being a monster was so easy. And admitting it to yourself, to him, to all the boys and girls watching at home, that was easy too. And yet, right now, one girl, too damn hard for you to manage. How come?

Aww, hell. If you think you're gonna get an answer, you're obviously talking to the wrong guy.

(Julian Avery continued elsewhere)
Edited by Jonny, Jan 14 2011, 07:15 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
« Previous Topic · Hall of Mirrors · Next Topic »
Add Reply