Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The collars
Topic Started: Nov 9 2010, 06:26 PM (2,473 Views)
Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I was more thinking, in the event a character decided to make the attempt after being rolled, would there succeeding at the disarming the collar delay the roll, at least for that day?
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

Tara Behzad: "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

Alex Tarquin: "No more masks."

V5 Players

V4 Players
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Probably not. Making an attempt after being rolled already means there's nothing extra to lose, unlike in normal circumstances, and if there was a potential benefit to it then there'd be no reason for every handler to not make every one of their characters try to escape as soon as they're rolled, since the risk/reward would be highly skewed.
V7:
Juliette Sargent drawn by Mimi and Ryuki
Alton Gerow drawn by Mimi
Lavender Ripley drawn by Mimi
Phillip Olivares drawn by Ryuki
Library Vee
Misty Browder

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It also comes off as incredibly cheesy because a character wouldn't know they were slated for death, and thus attempt to disable their collar at that moment. So, for IC and OoC reasons, I'm also throwing a no-go.
V6 Tributes

Spoilers, Ricky didn't win V5

Things We Say

Ghost Of Ravenstar
Member Avatar
Armed and Unsafe
[ *  * ]
I'm curious. How much work has been put into the design of the collars, from an OOC perspective? Is there some schematic sitting on a hard-drive somewhere among the staff, or are things decided on the fly?
#B051: Gavin Hunter - Equipped with oh gosh a whole lot. "Well, we break for two months and I'm now suddenly in high definition..."

[08:46] Ghost of Ravenstar: I love the AF2011-A1 as it fits Gavin's perceived personality so damn well.
[08:47] Alex: Overcompensatory, unnecessary and appeals to what someone who watches anime obsessively would perceive as "cool?"
[08:47] Ghost of Ravenstar: BINGO!!!

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ooh, I can field this one!

There is not a direct schematic because the actual technology for bomb collars of the size and style featured in SOTF doesn't exist. There is a direct list of what triggers collars (and at what degree; for example heat at less than start-to-damage-the-collar temperatures won't make them blow because kids end up in fires sometimes), as well as what varieties of tampering create what results. Basically, there's a big ol' list of precautions the terrorists took, and the actual functioning of the collars (along with their rough construction) is all mapped out.
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder

Ghost Of Ravenstar
Member Avatar
Armed and Unsafe
[ *  * ]
Thank you for that information. I'm very glad there are concrete rules in place here, but I do still have a small issue that I'd like to bring up. The things I've learnt about the collars seems to be working at cross-purposes to the rest of the game.

Specifically, SOTF encourages realism. Players are encouraged to think with a realistic mindset. However, the collars do not react in a realistic fashion, so this mindset is effectively more dangerous than if we all just treated the collars as if they were magic. Removing them is more a game of 'guess what the staff didn't think of' then anything else. This seems rather counter-productive and against the general idea of the setting to me. I'm not saying that I can't live with it, I'm just pointing out what appears to be a conflict in priorities that could do with revaluation at some point.

I admit that I'm not a long-term player (yet) and that I haven't really done much archive binging, but these are the conclusions I've drawn from everything that I've seen so far. If I'm wrong about any of these points, feel free to correct me.
#B051: Gavin Hunter - Equipped with oh gosh a whole lot. "Well, we break for two months and I'm now suddenly in high definition..."

[08:46] Ghost of Ravenstar: I love the AF2011-A1 as it fits Gavin's perceived personality so damn well.
[08:47] Alex: Overcompensatory, unnecessary and appeals to what someone who watches anime obsessively would perceive as "cool?"

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
SOTF encourages realism within the confines of the world. Like any fictional world, it has its own set of guidelines and rules, some of which differ from the real world. Certain things are required for the game to function, which cannot exist in a realistic setting (things like the collars). This is roughly similar to the non-existence of The Hunger Games and Battle Royale in the universe: it exists to make the game as a whole functional and not absurd.

The staff chose to extrapolate functionality of the collars off of similar extant technology. Like most speculative fiction, there's some guesswork involved, but there's also a basis on actual technology. Basically, declaring escape to impossible doesn't seem particularly fair, since there are probably many ingenious techniques that could stand a good chance of working, in both a realistic world and in the SOTF world. By allowing handlers to take that risk (which is, of course, entirely their choosing--nobody is ever forced to try to escape), we allow handlers greater plot agency.

More than that, some things about the collars can be extrapolated from how they have functioned in the past, and from how they relate to the game at present.

In short, realism is important, but realism is also relative. Just like staff doesn't go around rolling to determine when characters fall ill, or determining the exact effectiveness of any given attack, we also set out rough guidelines for the collars and allow handlers to explore within those bounds. Honestly, even with any current issues, the collars are far more realistic than the typical portrayals of firearms, aiming, disease, starvation, and any number of other game issues.
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder

Ghost Of Ravenstar
Member Avatar
Armed and Unsafe
[ *  * ]
That all makes sense to me, and I'm grateful that you took the time out to explain it to me. I'm quite a nitpicky person by nature, and it sometimes get the better of me. I do have one legit question left over, however.

As I see it, everything about the collars is realistic within the universe that it takes place in. However, that also means that the principle they operate on is not necessarily exclusive to their construction. If somebody with sufficient in-character technical or scientific ability were to examine them in an ideal situation, would their training allow them to make logical deductions on how they work based on the different scientific principles that would exist to support a device like the collars? Like, say, how a transmitter capable of performing it’s job across the island in all weather conditions would work, or what kind of explosive the collars contain?

Okay, maybe that was a bit over-complicated. I hope it still comes across as comprehensive.

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
That makes sense! If someone had access to a collar in ideal conditions, they likely could reverse-engineer it (in fact, some of that got done by STAR during V4). They might be able to figure some things about the components out by examining them, too, though they would only have theoretical knowledge of what exactly is in the collars without having them on hand. The know-how necessary to roughly figure out the collars, under ideal conditions and with functional specimens to test, would be at approximately the level of a PhD engineer or two (the terrorists are known to have at least one MIT-educated PhD engineer on staff, presumably more), and the collars have thus far not been captured by outside agencies. The exact method of their functionality has varied version-to-version with redesigns, as well, so the world on the whole is still largely in the dark about them.
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder

Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The island is hardly an ideal place for studying transmitters and explosives, and the average high-schooler shouldn't know explosives or transmitters and junk that well.
V6 Characters

V5 Characters

Ghost Of Ravenstar
Member Avatar
Armed and Unsafe
[ *  * ]
I'd say that answered all my questions very comprehensively. Perhaps I'll have more later on, but for now I'd say everything has been covered. Thank you.

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
No problem! I'm always available to answer questions. :)
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
« Previous Topic · Support/Suggestions · Next Topic »
Add Reply