Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Late Dawns and Early Sunsets; [Late Day 3, OPEN]
Topic Started: Nov 6 2010, 12:05 AM (3,587 Views)
Hollyquin
Member Avatar
A friendly clown welcomes you to LOCAH. It seems he would like to be your guide.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
[[Jasper-Declan MacDermott continued from Pearl and Destiny]]

They'd gotten separated. Who knew how, but they had.

They'd been walking, that was certainly so, walking- where? Jasper-Declan didn't know. He wasn't paying much attention to direction, to the map, to the compass- he paid attention to the slowly setting sun, but only to admire the orange tint it gave their surroundings. But they were walking, the three of them together- him and his newfound friends allies, George and Carly. Walking away from that...situation, for lack of a better word, back at the warehouse. I wonder, perhaps, if George felt that same sense of...of being ignored, as I did. That spoiled feeling, perhaps it wasn't only myself. Or perhaps it was and I just wish for someone else to share the feeling to make myself feel a tad bit less...

Pathetic?

No matter.

At any rate.

They were walking, essentially forward, forward, ever forward, and suddenly they found themselves in a town. A small town, a...he cringed even thinking the word quaint town, but it still was not anywhere Jasper-Declan wanted to be. Towns meant people, likely lots of people, and people, in a game like Survival of the Fittest, meant conflict and danger and possible/probable death. Though the sense of loneliness that had been nagging him practically since he'd started in this game, since he'd felt that keen sense of rejection from the boys on the beach, or more probably, since that moment he'd realized he was going to die-

He shook his head. Not allowed to go down that path again.

-despite all that, he didn't want to be anywhere near anyone else. George and Carly, they helped. The presence of people who...didn't necessarily like him, that was too much to ask, but at least trusted him, at least needed him, that helped a lot. Gave him another reason, a good one, to keep himself alive.

He was thinking about that- and he was thinking about the sunset lights on the town's rooftops, and how different the architecture was from that back home, and just where were they, anyway? and where were these people who lived here, all dead now, perhaps? had they had to leave, were they forced from their home by the terrorists and Danya? or perhaps they were simply all killed-

And sometime during that train of thought, George had disappeared.

No, disappeared was the wrong word. Disappeared implied that they had no idea where he had gone. Presumably he had wandered off on his own, gotten distracted by something and gone off to investigate. The question was, what to do about it? Too much time spent wandering in this town would undoubtedly result in some discovered problem-in-progress, and Carly was certainly in no position to defend herself. So they agreed to wait for a bit- wait for George to come wandering back.

He did not. And so what could they do but move on?

They wandered some more, not stopping but with no destination in mind. Jasper-Declan ate a few crackers during the walk, at some point remembering that eating is in fact an important human function, but was otherwise quiet. He couldn't think of much to say, and anyway his mind was quite busy taking in the surroundings.

Those surroundings changed every moment. The town fell behind them and eventually disappeared into the distance as they found themselves on some sort of road. Most people would follow the road- in any other circumstance that would only be logical- but Jasper-Declan would not do so. Roads led to people. And so he veered off absent-mindedly to the right, grateful that Carly, at least, didn't question him.

And now the light was truly fading, the last reds disappearing from view, replaced with cold blue. He watched the light disappear on the horizon, fascinated, and even more fascinating was the starlight that followed. The sky outside the city lights...it's truly an inspiring sight.

The same could not be said for their more immediate surroundings. Jasper-Declan realized, looking around, that he had stumbled into a wasteland of tree stumps, a sad graveyard of sorts. He felt truly upset for a moment, upset that something that was likely once beautiful was now long since dead and gone, and he wore a pained expression. But that moment passed quickly, and he put it behind him- the sky was more than enough in the way of beauty, and besides, the ugliness of this place would make it unattractive to others.

He turned to Carly. It was truly very dark, and Jasper-Declan supposed this was as good a place to stop as any. Perhaps it was a good time to get some sleep- did he need sleep? He didn't feel tired, not in the least, but it occurred to him that he hadn't slept in days. Perhaps sheer adrenaline kept him awake, adrenaline or insomnia, but to him these days just felt so short.

The nights, though, ran long. Strange for summer, but what wasn't strange nowadays?

"Is this an agreeable campsite for the night...?" he asked politely. After all, she, at least, would likely want to rest.
being meguca is suffering

[V5] ALIVE:
[x] Aidan Flynn [B???] // Passing slowly though the vector, damp with fog, the bog that grows the former business sector...
[x] Chitose Saionji [G???] // 公園に千歳は本を読む!

[V5] CONCEPTS:
Winston Evans aced the last English test and would like to point out how gorgeous your shoes are.

Those Who've Known - V4
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Hollyquin
Member Avatar
A friendly clown welcomes you to LOCAH. It seems he would like to be your guide.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
It was really very dark.

It was strange, how heavily that was weighing on Jasper-Declan's mind. Perhaps it was simply because this was the first time he had really stopped to rest- perhaps because this was the first time he was truly surrounded by the darkness, without the comfort of his flashlight (it would only attract unwanted attention here, he reasoned). Or perhaps it was just dawning on him exactly how dangerous this situation was. Not that danger meant anything to him. Danger was a word- he could understand its meaning without feeling it, as a sociopath can understand what 'love' is on an intellectual level while never feeling it himself. Jasper-Declan had never felt like he was in danger, had never felt pain, had never felt afraid.

Something about the creeping darkness threatened to change that, if he lingered on it much longer.

So he rerouted his attention, instead pulling a few crackers from his daypack, chewing mechanically. He ran his fingers over his gun absentmindedly- in all honesty he kept forgetting it was even there, in his hand, though it had never left. Still, I hold this weapon...still, this remains my own possession. Still I wonder what I could accomplish, what I should accomplish with a tool such as this. What...what on earth am I meant to do...?

The combination of the darkness and the cold metal in his hand were flustering him. It was a strange feeling. Not one he had much experience with. He was grateful for the interruption when Carly spoke.

"Jasper, has uh, anyone ever told you that you talk kinda weird? I don't wanna sound mean or anything it's just that you can sound kinda robotic when you talk like that and --"

Jasper-Declan had already formulated his response- yes, I have been told that before, but my way of speaking is simply that, my way of speaking, and is not anything I'd be capable of changing...particularly not at a stressful time like this- but he suddenly became aware of the change in circumstance about a millisecond before Carly verbalized it.

"-- hey someone's coming!"

Two someones, in fact, he mentally corrected her, before mentally chiding himself for using a phrase like 'two someones'. There was undoubtedly a figure coming towards them- even starlight was enough to confirm the figure as a reality- but Jasper-Declan was a bit more concerned with the sound he'd heard behind him. It sounded like...well, truth be told, it sounded like vulgarity, and he wrinkled his nose in response. He was used to swearing- being friends with Alex Campbell and Jay Holland would do that to a person- but out of the mouths of those he didn't already care about, unnecessary vulgarity struck him as just that. Vulgar, that is. At any rate, there was certainly someone behind them, and not a particularly civil person, either.

Or intelligent...

He wasn't afraid. What is fear but a reaction to possible future pain, and what is pain? Nothing at all to Jasper-Declan.

He calmly dug his flashlight out of his backpack, his other hand held a firm grip around his gun. Drawing the flashlight, he pointed it at the incoming stranger. It didn't tell him much, and he was mildly disappointed when no name had the courtesy of drifting into his mind at the sight. The boy was tall, black, athletic looking, and Jasper-Declan was sure he'd had a class with this boy at some point, but still, no name. No weapon in sight, though, and that at least was a comfort. He didn't raise his gun- didn't see the need. Instead-

"...Hello, whoever you are. I am Jasper-Declan. This is Carly. We are resting here for the night. If you do not plan to kill us in our sleep, feel free to rest here for a while."

He smiled a tiny, wry smile before turning around. He pointed the flashlight at himself, meaning simply to illuminate himself for the benefit of their other mysterious intruder. And why not? There was no advantage the other newcomer could hold over a boy with a gun. Fortunate, for myself, I suppose.

"...And whoever you are, feel free to show yourself. I do hope you don't believe yourself to be hidden."

[V5] ALIVE:
[x] Aidan Flynn [B???] // Passing slowly though the vector, damp with fog, the bog that grows the former business sector...

[V5] CONCEPTS:
Winston Evans aced the last English test and would like to point out how gorgeous your shoes are.

Those Who've Known - V4

Hollyquin
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Suddenly, complexity.

"I'm Isaiah. Isaiah Garvey. I'm not looking for any trouble. A little rest sounds great right about now."

That name meant nothing to him, though the boy the name belonged to seemed pleasant enough, and certainly didn't strike Jasper-Declan as a threat. Perhaps- in another circumstance- the trio would be able to spend a pleasant night together.

But that was not to be. After all, Isaiah Garvey was not the source of the complexity.

"FUCK YOU JIMMY BRENNAN!"

That was.

Jasper-Declan knew Jimmy Brennan. Well, he didn't know him, so to speak, but he knew of him and had certainly heard him mouthing off in the halls of Bayview. He was exceptionally loud and the vulgarity was entirely in character for him- in fact he was surprised at himself for having not guessed at the identity of their intruder. But Jasper-Declan remembered that Carly had seen Jimmy earlier, and that he had attacked her...

He whirled around just in time to see Carly kick Jimmy where it would hurt.

Jasper-Declan cringed. Not that he'd felt that pain before, but some male instinct told him he really didn't want to be Jimmy right now.

"It's Jimmy Brennan. Jimmy, he like attacked me on the first day, OK? I had to- I had to hit him."

He only nodded.

"So I really think we should get somewhere else to camp tonight, and uh, we should go now, sorry. C'mon, let's go!"

He nodded again. Jasper-Declan was never a man of many words, and now was not the time to change. But before he followed after her, he stopped for a moment to speak to the newly identified Isaiah Garvey.

"...I'm sorry. I hope we meet each other again in good health."

And then he followed Carly, careful not to outrun her.

Strange how I truly wish for his safety...I hardly know him. It would be better for my future, such as it is, if he was taken out, no?

Illogical, but...

[[Jasper-Declan MacDermott continued in She Bopped]]
Edited by Hollyquin, Dec 2 2010, 04:38 PM.

[V5] ALIVE:

[V5] CONCEPTS:

Those Who've Known - V4

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Felled Forest: North · Next Topic »
Add Reply