Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
High Tides and High Hopes; A late night, an early morning. [Day 3 -> Day 4]
Topic Started: Nov 1 2010, 04:22 AM (1,304 Views)
Solomir
Member Avatar
Nanotech Engineer
[ *  *  *  * ]
((Tiffany Baker continued from Morning Comes Slowly))

It was another long day of walking. Long hours interspersed with the barest traces of communication. The sand shifted slightly under their shoes; some crept up the sides and slipped into the empty spaces between sock and insole. Every so often, someone would stop to empty the buildup of sand grains back onto the beach. Tiffany would try to smile reassuringly at William whenever she caught his eye, but his general response was a possibly a hint of a smile overshadowed by a somber frown.

The tide was low, the waves lapping gently against the beach.

When the sun hit its apex, William decided that it was a good time to stop for lunch. They only had a few things left over from their snack stores, and some tea that William had assured her to be safe to drink. They shared the food for a few silent minutes, before William broke the silence with some quiet musing about Peter.

Tiffany didn’t know how to respond to his question. Tiffany had always felt that she had been anything but subtle about how she felt about Peter. At least some cheerleaders had noticed and made some light teasing of it.

((Uh, I'll add more here in a bit))

((Placeholder for nighttime events, as they’re not plot relevant and I don’t have time due to DZs))

After that night came another long day, which was heralded by Danya’s updates to the student population on the progress of the game. It was a nightmare being added onto the ones she’d had throughout the night. Just hearing about people, friends, being callously murdered by their peers made her sick.

It was another long day of walking. The two kept closer to the tree line as the sandy beach gave way to rocky outcropping overlooked by steep cliffs. At some point, they moved inland, as rocky terrain was far more difficult than the twig and leaf covered dirt of the forest. They had some long hours of silent walking, broken occasionally by some light conversation about their route.

The beginnings of twilight began to descend on the travelers before they knew it. William hadn’t seemed to have anticipated this because he started scrambling to gather firewood. Tiffany had done her best to help, but she just didn’t have the eye for finding large enough pieces of wood. Of course, William didn’t tell her that she wasn’t doing it right, but she could tell that the branches she could find weren’t anywhere as big as what William put on the woodpile.

A word that Tiffany would not repeat rang through the evening sky.

Reflexively, she whipped around and narrowed her eyes at William. She would have admonished him; if they were back home in St. Paul, there would be nothing stopping her. Except they weren’t home. On some level, Tiffany understood how much stress it was for William. He had to worry about keeping her safe, about watching out for killers, and even about just building a fire and shelter for them each night.

William seemed to catch the sudden outburst before it could continue. He muttered an apology, one that he didn’t need to say because Tiffany already understood. He returned to his work of finding and breaking the pieces of firewood, while Tiffany did her meager best to help.

They took a break, as the sun started to dip below the horizon. William showed her the map and they discussed their plan for the next day quickly. Tiffany didn’t have much to add, so she responded mostly with silent nods. Afterward, they gathered up all the wood and transported it over to where William had already marked out the spot for their fire. He hadn’t wanted to start one so close to the low bushes in the woods; they were more dense on this side of the island and there hadn’t been a clearing nearly as open as the last night.

Tiffany watched as William hunched over and started prepping the fire. She probably should learn how to do that so she could at least help the next night. Standing around was sort of pointless in comparison. Maybe she was supposed to be keeping a look out for other people approaching. Of course, the only reason that she had that idea was because she heard someone calling out over the light crash of the approaching tide.

Tiffany turned around to where she thought the voice came from. It wasn’t a familiar voice, but Tiffany had heard it before. Kari Nichols, from the school orchestra. They had shared a class in US History back in their Junior year as well. Tiffany had been amazed watching Kari work magic with that colorful puzzle cube; Peter had no talent with those whatsoever.

The idea that Kari might be dangerous hadn’t really crossed her mind. After at least a day of not seeing anybody but William, the prospect of finding more people to band together seemed like a hopeful prospect. She waved her arms at the girl on the beach, directing her over their way.
V5

B036: Benjamin Ward: "Sh-shut the fuck up. Or I'll k-kick your ass."
B047: Marcus Leung: "Let's start by staying calm."

V4

Rest in peace

B004 - Peter Siu: "We're all fuck-ups."
G006 - Tiffany Baker: "Will you stay with me, until I wake up?"
G027 - Marybeth Witherspoon: "The cameras are pointing here, not there."
B115 - Tony Russo: "I'm sorry...."
G087 - Rachel Gettys: "I detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Solomir
Member Avatar
Nanotech Engineer
[ *  *  *  * ]
Kari came over warily and joined them at their small fire. The sight of the large gun slung over Kari's shoulder was definitely a concern for Tiffany, but that concern faded when Kari made no move to draw the gun on them as she approached. William seemed a little on edge, but he made no aggressive action. Tiffany trusted him to handle the situation well.

The three sat around the fire, just talking like they weren't on an island of death; it was a refreshing change from the quieter and more somber nights of the last two days. Their spirits rose with the tide, as the conversation shifted to light-hearted and nostalgic things. The waves lapped gently against the beach, beating a rhythm in time with the crackle of their little campfire and the clicks of Kari's puzzle cube. Eventually, the dark of night took over, and sleep followed shortly afterward.

William was up way before Tiffany and Kari were. She knew this because he had been up early in the previous mornings as well. His attempts to wake up Kari were enough to stir Tiffany from her sleep, and she was just about to wipe the sleep from her eyes when he turned his attention to her. She quickly packed any loose clothes into her daypack and went to join William in watching the sunrise. The announcements were something she wasn't looking forward to, but it wasn't something she could escape.

The speakers screeched to life, like the previous mornings. Danya's voice rang out from behind her, where the speakers were hidden in the trees. Tiffany listened to each name called out, silently mouthing a prayer for each of the dead. There were a few names in particular she prayed for: Max Neill, the former student council representative and anti-bullying advocate; Dominic Stratford, who she had helped her on the first day of the island; Samaya Boen-Hillstrand, a girl with whom Tiffany loved to sing with in the Madrigals. The killers too, were in her prayers. All of them including-

Peter.

Tiffany's breath caught in her throat. That wasn't right. There must've been a mistake. Peter wouldn't kill anybody, especially not a ruthless murder like Danya had said. There must've been a mistake. Maybe it was an accident, or someone forced him to do it-

She was still reeling from the news, trying to figure out what had gone wrong, when William grabbed her arm and dragged her across the damp sand of the beach. He yelled something back at Kari as he ran, and Tiffany thought she might've heard some loud beeping coming from somewhere. That wasn't important. She needed to find Peter, to find out what had happened; he wasn't a murderer and she was sure of it.

As she ran, she prayed as hard as she could that Danya was wrong, and that when she found the man she had fallen for, that he would still be able to turn to God's forgiveness.

((Tiffany Baker continued in March to Your Death))
V5

B036: Benjamin Ward: "Sh-shut the fuck up. Or I'll k-kick your ass."
B047: Marcus Leung: "Let's start by staying calm."

V4

Rest in peace

B004 - Peter Siu: "We're all fuck-ups."
G006 - Tiffany Baker: "Will you stay with me, until I wake up?"
G027 - Marybeth Witherspoon: "The cameras are pointing here, not there."
B115 - Tony Russo: "I'm sorry...."
G087 - Rachel Gettys: "I detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Beach: East · Next Topic »
Add Reply