Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Carpe Noctum; Day 3
Topic Started: Oct 12 2010, 01:37 AM (4,793 Views)
Fanatic
Member Avatar
A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other.
[ *  *  *  * ]
((Jason Harris continued from The Only Way Is Up))

Jason was tired. He had tried his best to keep the group in good spirits, but after all the walking he could feel himself becoming cranky. There had been much debate about the announcements. Who killed who, what they should do, whether there was any truth to the calls. They had, in effect agreed to keep tabs on both the danger zones and those mentioned in the announcement and Jason had scrawled a short list of those both dead or killing others in his notebook and he encouraged the others to do the same. Rations were split and everyone kept their eyes and ears open for others that might of passed.

An air of nervousness had swept around the boy since Leila had joined them. Guys he could understand but girls were inscrutable to him. They would play mind games flitting back and forth from flirty to cold without any apparent rhyme or reason. They were natural social engineers and Jason begrudged them a little for it. All his hard work and he simply couldn't compare. Still Leila was in another way a comfort. She possessed that girl smell that all girls did which seemed to calm him outwardly and Jason got to feel that feeling of trepidation every time they accidentally bumped or she giggled slightly at a lame joke he made. He wasn't in love by any stretch, but it was nice to have someone of female persuasion around none the less.

Brook had significantly calmed down and although he seemed to jump at every shadow his face retained what could only been seen as a quiet look of determination. For what, Jason could not say but he was glad Brook had resolved to do something. The only time the facade had broken was when the announcements came across, not once but twice. Brook had listened intently for mention of Tiffany and when they did not come he visibly relaxed.

Maf too seemed to keep an ear out for his girl. Jennifer, if Jason remembered correctly. The gentle giant kept his emotions a little closer to heart though and seemed to move forward with a quiet resignation. You could see the cogs whirring behind his eyes as if he was analysing every situation but any further than that the man was inscrutable, stoic, determined.

Nathan had done his best too, finding the tunnel system then leading them onwards. Jason was sure they were lost but didn't say anything. He couldn't risk the group squabbling. As long as they were safe there was no major problems. He could see Nathan was reaching his limit and a rest would calm everyone. A sleep even more. They would have to set up watches, but with only two directions that shouldn't be too hard. He trusted everyone here implicitly, barring Leila, who he had decided would not take a watch and would be carefully watched by whoever was.

Sliding down the smooth rock face Jason nodded. "Good idea Nath. I think we need a little rest, well I do at least." He paused for a second his hand closing around something thin. A piece of paper. Flicking his torch back on his eyes widened. "Hey Maf. I think you should take a look at this." Holding his hand out he handed the paper to the Fijian.

Jennifer

I don't deserve your company but I hope I can still help somehow. I couldn't leave you helpless if someone tried to hurt you. There's nothing left for me but I'll use that, to stamp out everyone else who has lost their humanity so someone who deserves it can come out on top. I'm sure you want nothing to do with this icepick, but every angel needs their flaming sword.

NR

"I think Jennifer came past here and..." Jason sniffed for a second. "do you smell something rotting?"
Sickness: Partially suicidal... very slightly because of my report, but mostly because Jason is dead. All of my personal issues stem from the fact that Jason Harris did not win SotF v4

William 'Woozie' Wu - "Hey Pheebs, you're amazing babe."

V4
Spoiler: click to toggle
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Fanatic
Member Avatar
A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other.
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just like that the silence and drudgery of the long walk so far burst in to frenzied conversation. The wounding of the foot of one young naive girl combined with the revelation that a loved one was out there caused a cacophony of voices to rain down on Jason's ears, echoing up and down the tunnel. Jason tried to direct his attention to one or two of the voices but gave up almost instantaneously as everyone continued to speak. In all honesty all the tension and lack of action to vent it had been wearing Jason thin and with Leila's ranting about her feet he had finally had it.

Throwing his bag down and unzipping it with a forceful motion Jason glared at Leila. How could anyone be so stupid? "For fuck's sake Leila are you really that fucking stupid? When you could of asked anyone for a spare pair of footwear? Here." Jason pulled his spare pair of flip-flops out of his bag and flung them at the girl. "Take my thongs." This seemed to hush everyone up for a second and he swore he could hear someone stifle a giggle. He paused in puzzlement as his brain processed why this might be the case. "Flip flops, whatever - god, bloody yanks." He was still furious, ineptitude was something Jason did not deal well with. "Seriously you *have* a first-aid kit." Nathan was on the ball though and had already popped open his medkit. At least someone was thinking straight.

He turned his attention to Brook. "and seriously mate, come on it's like a tiny smell of blood, you can't even see it from here. You..." his temper had faded a little and in all honesty being mad at Brook was not something he could do for long. The guy was infuriating at times but he just had that lost puppy dog look that made you pause when you were about to yell at him for something. "Just try to keep it together mate, I know you've got it in you." Jason gave a weak grin before turning to Maf.

His anger now faded he took a deep breath. "Yeah you're right Maf. We should head out and look for her, but we need to hold on just for a second. No use just blindly running about right? We gotta find out where she went, or at least have a general idea, plus everyone's tired. Let's do this the right way, we can't be making mistakes." Maf's vocalisation had seemed to overpower the other complaints just by tone alone and that is why Jason addressed it last. This was what they had to do. In fact he himself had wanted to find Jennifer since having her along might make Maf a little more relaxed. He looked around. His friends were tired and probably just as grumpy as he was. They would have to have something that boosted their moral soon otherwise they would fall apart.

"Ok. So. First things first we should..."

A voice echo'd down the tunnel. Immediately Jason stopped. He pulled the pistol out from where it hung, jammed in to his shorts and whipped it upwards pointing at the newcomer.

"You heard right but just stop right where you are, and show us what you're carrying before you get any closer." Yet another helpful student appearing out of nowhere, tactically speaking they should be killing whoever it is right now but he knew no one could handle that right now, maybe they could just disarm him and send him on his merry way.

Across all of this the stench of something rotting started to overpower him and Jason suppressed an involuntary gag reaction. Looking askew at Nathan he muttered. "We should get outta here."
Sickness: Partially suicidal... very slightly because of my report, but mostly because Jason is dead. All of my personal issues stem from the fact that Jason Harris did not win SotF v4

V4

Fanatic
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
(tiny post to counter inactivity before I post in my normal post order :P)

Jason glanced sideways at Nathan as he spoke his piece. The mystery student was still to come further in to the light and Jason wasn't about to take any risks. He couldn't let his friends get killed, or even injured just because he wanted to believe this guy was harmless. Still no point in provoking the guy either. He kept his gun trained on the figure but eased off the trigger finger and stepped to one side. "Fine Nath," he started before motioning at David, "come through but keep your hands where I can see em mate. We're not going to shoot you unless you try something stupid, got it?"

V4

Fanatic
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Jason whirled around as Brook cried out, just in time to see Leila pull the gun away from his friend. In an instant his gun was up, safety off, pointing at the traitorous little bitch. Squeeze that trigger he thought to himself as he stood stock still. Squeeze the trigger. Brook’s life depended on it. Leila had Brooks gun up now, pointing at the shrieking boy with a shit eating grin on her face. It had all happened so fast. Jason mentally kicked himself. He should of been watching. I should of been watching. Squeeze that fucking trigger. He had a perfectly clean shot, there was no way he could miss at this range but she had her gun pointed at Brook. He couldn’t take the risk. Jason had promised to make sure his friends got out of this and he just couldn’t risk it. What if she shot him? Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck fuck. SHOOT. Jason didn’t say a single word. He lowered the pistol and the look of furious, murderous intent he shot Leila was something he had never done before. He watched as she edged away, moving in to the dark. As soon as she was out of line with Brook his gun went back up, but it was far too late she had gone, disappeared in to the dark of the tunnels.

Jason felt a rage like he had never had before burn through him. He had just be played by a rich bitch of all people. The kind of dumb girl who he always looked down upon and thought ‘if anything at least I’m smarter than her.’ His whole body was filled with adrenaline. Spinning to face Brook he ran over, grabbing his friend by the shoulders. He was inconsolable, the kid screamed as he clawed at his face, desperate to remove all the blood from his skin. “Brook. Brook! Listen to me. Look at me!” Jason yelled, trying to get the boy’s attention. Brooks eyes were wild as if he had seen something he shouldn’t of. Jason had seen it before and it wasn’t good, it usually took hours to calm him down, but Jason didn’t have hours. He’d have to lie. It was for Brooks own good. “Brook, snap out of it.” Jason tucked his hand under his shirt before using it to wipe at Brooks face. Smearing it with the blood he pushed it in to the dirt. “It’s not blood Brook, it’s not blood. It’s just mud - look, look.” He continued as he held up the shirt in the dim torchlight. It was hard to see and Jason hoped that Brook would believe him. There was no way they could catch that sneaky whore Leila if Brook didn’t calm down right now. Jason let the shirt fall away. “Just mud Brook.” He took a deep breath. He wasn’t sure but Brook looked like he was calming down, at the very least the screams had lessened. Jason inwardly cursed. Anyone in these tunnels had probably heard the outburst and were headed this way, things were not good. He turned away, moving up to Nathan and Maf and grasping his friends shoulder. He lowered his voice slightly.

“Nath, this is ridiculous. We’re moving with no direction - we need to be smart about this. Look you go with Maf,” Jason motioned to the new arrival, “take the new guy if you have to, find Jennifer. We’ll meet up at the town. If it’s a dangerzone, the light house. One day ok? We wait one more day there. If no one shows up then we check in from time to time. Leave a message. I’m going to take Brook and get his gun back.” Jason paused once more his mind racing. “It might be a bit stupid splitting up but this needs to be done. Leila could hurt someone, plus I think it would be better if Brook was away if you get in to a fight. I’ll keep him safe. Take the rations, the bags, I have my compass and map on me, we should be ok.” He turned to Maf and smiled sadly. “Find Jen, stay safe mate.”

Jason side-five’d the walking giant as they were want to do and then moved back to Brook and hoisted him up. “Brook, she played you. Breathe deep mate, breathe deep. We’ve got to find her, you’re going to be fine, but we have to go now. It’s going to be fine.” Jason hoped his words were reassuring but he could not hide the urgency in his tone. He motioned for Brook to follow and then took off. They had to find Leila, get Brooks gun back and...

and what?

That scratching at the cupboard door was back, and this time it was getting louder.

With Brook in tow Jason headed in to the dark.

((Jason Harris continued in It's Everything's Nature To Fall))
Edited by Fanatic, Nov 21 2010, 04:37 AM.

V4

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Tunnels · Next Topic »
Add Reply