Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Carpe Noctum; Day 3
Topic Started: Oct 12 2010, 01:37 AM (4,907 Views)
Anderson
Survivor
[ *  * ]
((David Anderson continued from The Outsider))

He hadn't quite curled up in a ball, but the shooting he witnessed on day 1 had sent David Anderson into hiding after a fashion. Call it "landing on a hot stove", but he'd decided to stay away from groups for a bit. It probably didn't help that he'd royally freaked out even after throwing up at the sight. He'd never had a panic attack, but somehow that seemed like an appropriate occasion.

This had led to him skulking and lurking in the tunnels on and off, hiding in them or near the various entrances. You could usually tell if people were coming and take a measure of them before they got to you, after all. And that had enabled him to stay more or less alone for the last day, with at most passing contact with people.

But David was a "people person", and the boredom got to him quickly enough.

At least I'm not talking to a volleyball. Yet.

The cries of Leila got his attention, and David emerged from some niche or another.

"Need some help?" He raised his hands in front of him to show he didn't mean any harm. "I heard someone...hit their foot?" He thinks that's what he heard, but...echoes being echoes, it's better to ask.
Characters:
David Anderson (deceased)
Tyler Franklin (deceased)
Bill Davis (not dead yet...but soon!)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Anderson
Survivor
[ *  * ]
(OOC: Tiny post as well; ****ing RL)

David nearly shit himself. Nearly. Not quite, however: He could tell that he had been heard, but not spotted. He could also tell that the group was not friendly.

SHIT!

The first group he'd run into, on day one, had been friendly enough...until the shooting started. This group, on the other hand...

Fight or flight? Flight. Definitely flight.

Not stopping to check what weapons they had, not stopping to find out, David turned and ran. Hard. Fast. Right into a wall.

"Shit." David looked at his hands in the dim light, bloodied from his sudden, unexpected stop. He could tell that they hurt...he could tell there was bleeding, and he could feel that he'd scratched up his face. He knew he was a mess, but his heart was pounding as he tried to scramble back to his feet to run...and slipped on some sludge on the floor.

I'm going to die, I'm going to die...

He knew, intellectually, that his thoughts might be an overreaction...but he also knew that he was in at least some amount of trouble...and his panicked reaction was making him flail all the worse.
Characters:

Anderson
Survivor
[ *  * ]
"Jennifer? Jennifer? Please tell me you're still in here."

It took David a few moments to process just what was going on around him: People getting shot, him running, thinking he was going to be killed, when he was just trying to help...you name it. The whole time he'd been on the island was just so damn surreal it wasn't even funny. And now? Now he was facing someone looking for their long-lost love...or something like that.

Truth be told, David wasn't sure...he was low on food (even with the junk food he'd brought along for the camping trip, he was running low) and water (those bottles weren't going to last him forever). The whole situation was getting less and less pleasant...and now there was a bit of random murder that he was running into. This was not a good day.

"Who...who the hell is Jennifer?!?" David hollered back down the corridor once he caught his breath. It's not like he cared, but...he was at least hoping to get whomever-it-was to go away. Hoping, that is, but not likely succeding, he knew. And amid the dark, dank mess that the tunnel was, and not being entirely "with it" (but at least knowing he was out of it, which was a start)...

Oh, I've got a bad feeling about this...
Characters:

Anderson
Survivor
[ *  * ]
David stared at Nick for a moment, considering what he'd said.

He lowered the sword grudgingly. "Look," he said, "Perez. Dark hair, Spanish descent or whatever. Armed with an icepick - hopefully. Unless maybe you stole it off the ground or something - and she's with a guy who I don't know how he isn't dead yet. I saved that kid's life, or what's left of it. And if you like yours," - Whoa, too far... "You can just tell me if you've seen them and go wherever to die in peace. Sound good?"

"I haven't met any Jennifer Perez. Haven't seen her or heard her name yet." David's heart was beating a bit more quickly amid the verbal barrage. "I don't have an icepick, either. Look, I don't know where the girl you're looking for is...so why don't you just put the sword down and we can both walk away."

David forced himself to take a deep breath. "Look, we're all under a lot of stress..."

And why am I trying to calm things down here, again? Right, not dying. Not dying is good.

"...but I don't know where Jennifer is or whether she's alive or dead or anything. I wish I could tell you more, but I don't know."

David's heart was beating loudly enough that he could really hear it in his ears...between someone getting killed not too far away and the sight of that sword, nothing was acting to calm him down.

And then he winced, turned to a camera, and groaned...and mumbled out "I just lost the game" almost instinctively.

Turning from Nick, David shook his head. "Look, good luck finding her, wherever she is, if she's alive." And good luck finding her in the next if she isn't, because we're all probably dead after one fashion or another anyway. This game sucks.
Characters:

Anderson
Survivor
[ *  * ]
You might say that David knew he was in trouble...he knew, but on some fundamental level, he just didn't give a damn anymore. Seeing people randomly getting shot in front of him, throwing up on national TV, not getting a lot of sleep...it wore him out. He was exhausted, just trying to muddle through the game without killing or being killed (as unlikely as that was), and it was wearing on him.

And then, Nick raised his sword hand, causing David to jump just a bit at the sight of it coming up. "Woah..." Dropping his backpack on the ground, aiming for mobility over having all of his stuff on him, and suddenly grabbing his...pool cue up to parry what certainly looks like Nick attempting to bring his sword down on him.

In any other setting, this would be hilarious. Here, however, on this particular island and in this tunnel, it is nothing but the panicked reaction of two teenagers who have just royally crossed a couple of wires in their brain. This is not going to end well for anybody involved, and David knows it all too well: He's out...(-sworded, perhaps?). And so, after that moment of panic, of knowing that this little situation he's in just got way out of control, something hits him:

You only die once. Make it a good one.

And so, as useless as he knows it's going to be, David takes a swing at Nick's sword hand in an attempt to disarm him...or something. He really wishes he knew what he was doing, but there's at least some comfort in the fact that he's not going down without trying to fight.
Characters:

Anderson
Survivor
[ *  * ]
That his swing actually worked caught David by surprise: He had hoped to at best block or distract an incoming shot, not actually disarm his opponent. When he succeeded in doing so, it caused a small smile to emerge on his face as his eyes followed the sword to the ground, and the thought crossed his mind to grab for it, if for no other reason than to keep Nick disarmed.

"No!"

Let's see if I can't end this without having to kill you...

"I'm not the one who..."

His victory, however, was short-lived: The speed with which Nick responded in a furt of blows, surging forward to drive him into the wall, caught him totally unprepared and cut him off mid-sentence. He tried to grab for the sword, but by the time he went for it, Nick was upon him, causing him to drop the pool cue and grabbing him to tackle...

...no, not a tackle.

As Nick put his weight into his attack, David felt his back hit the wall. Then, his head hit it, pinned as Nick grabbed it and braced it against the hard rock. He felt Nick's hands, pushing his head into the wall, and tried to push them off so he could grapple with him and fend him off, only to see Nick's forehead rushing towards his fa...

===============================

To be fair, David Anderson probably got out of Survival of the Fittest lucky: By the time he saw Nick Reid's head coming at his face, his mind didn't even have enough time to register what was about to happen to him. When Nick's forehead slammed into his face, the fragments of his nasal bones narrowly beat the pain signals in the race to his brain, saving him actually feeling the impact. And there being no pain receptors in the brain, David didn't feel a thing as those fragments brought his higher brain functions to a swift, sudden halt. There was no time for pain, nor even for thought. One second he was being shoved into a wall, the next, not only was he not simply being shoved into the wall, he simply wasn't.

===============================

No sooner than Nick Reid's forehead had plowed into his face, David Anderson's body went limp. Pressed against the wall, his eyes stared vacantly forward, his face still showing the surprise of the incoming attack. There was blood, and plenty of it, as it took a while for his heart to stop beating: Blood streamed from his nose and leaked from his eyes while his heart kept beating, covering his chest in blood. Even as his body ultimately slid down to the ground once Nick let it go, ending up in a sort of heap, the blood continued to flow, pooling on the floor around him. His lungs kept breathing as well, driven by involuntary, automatic reflexes that his brain never got the chance to tell to stop.

The fact that his heart kept beating also meant that his death didn't actually register on his collar for a while, and on the live stream from the island, this caused perhaps a bit of confusion and prevented the camera from even cutting away for a few minutes while he lay still on the ground. On the evening highlights, of course, the death registered on the screen 'properly' after a few moments, causing a heated and troll-prone debate on the SOTF forums about exactly when (or, in a few cases, 'whether') he actually died among the more devout fans of the show for a few days.

B086 ANDERSON, DAVID DECEASED
Characters:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Tunnels · Next Topic »
Add Reply