Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
I Swear I Won't Shoot
Topic Started: Oct 11 2010, 08:51 PM (2,934 Views)
Moth
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
((Gloria Benson continued from Bat & Rats & and Blind Cave Salamanders))

Gloria sat on her duffel bag, well away from the water, tensed up a bit as she heard the new announcements, heard the names of the dead. Swallowing in panic, she held her gun closer to her chest, making sure to aim it away from herself. The last thing she needed was to accidentally shoot herself in the heart.

Then there were the danger-zones..."Key."

Key...was she on the key? Panicking again, Gloria looked around for a few second before jumping off of and unzipping her duffel, pawing desperately through it until she found her map. Oh God, please no, no, nonononono...! Hands shaking, she unfolded her map, nearly dropping her gun several times--she was trying to do all this while maintaining a firm grip on the weapon. Again, the irony nearly made her laugh...a gun had killed her father, now a gun was probably the only thing that could keep her alive. At least she could defend herself from farther away...Dad would be devastated if he saw this.

"Keykeykeykey..." GLoria muttered to herself, eyes wide as she perused the map. Sweat was starting to gather on her forehead, strands of hair sticking to her face as she leaned closer to the map, nose to paper. ...No key. She was on a Beach, not Key. "Thank God...Thank you, God, Dad!" Gloria sobbed, collapsing face-down onto the map, sobbing. Shoulders shaking as she wept, her tears started to stain the map.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Moth
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Gloria looked up sharply, gasping a bit--she hadn't heard anyone approaching. A very bad thing to do in this game, in this place--that'd get her killed faster than anything, wouldn't it? Nervously, she tightened her grip on her gun, hand trembling a bit, but she didn't lift it or aim at the other person. Maybe they, like her, were just scared and hoping to see a friendly face...Gloria knew that she would hate to go to a group, begging for help or companionship, only to be shot dead.

Or chainsawed.

Or blown up. Or--well...killed.

The other person was talking now, drawing Gloria out of her musing.

"...hurt or something? I think I have a medkit or something, but apparently they don't heal you instantly here, despite this all seeming like a video game, am I right?" A pause, and then before Gloria could even register what he'd said--"Joke. Totally a joke. Uh, I'm Micheal, if you're not crazy. If you are, I'm...someone else."

Okay...that made her smile a little. The tiniest of shy smiles appeared on Gloria's face, and she shook her head, sobs quieting ever so slightly as she hiccuped. Wiping her face on her sleeve, she shook her head. "D-Don't...don't th-think I'm c-c-crazy...n-not yet," she admitted. The girl was thinking that after a few more days here, in this situation, she might, though. "N-Not hurt...s-s-cared, 's'all..." she stuttered. The grip on her gun loosened somewhat. Michael didn't seem to be a threat...he seemed nice.

Wow. Gloria was trusting him right off-bat...I must be going crazy already...but it wouldn't hurt to have friends. "M-My...my n-name's Glori--"

"You two alright?"

She jumped again, and once more her grip tightened--she forced herself to calm down, she didn't need to be this jumpy. Some will wanna kill me...others are friends. Gotta tell the difference. Can't go insane on my friends, that's not nice... Gloria nodded, still wiping at her face, staring at the branch in the newcomer's hand. Was that his weapon? That'd hurt if he swung it at her head... "'m...'m f-f-ine..." she stuttered. "N-No...I-I'm just...j-just 'not h-hurt...'" she amended.

This was definitely not fine.
Edited by Moth, Oct 18 2010, 03:50 PM.

Moth
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Still wiping her face, Gloria tried to smile again at the first boy's talking of games and HP and the like. It was a funny thing to be thinking about, treating this like a game, but--wait. It really was a game, wasn't it? A scary, dangerous game, but a game. (For a second, Gloria thought of that story, the one about the man who hunted humans because animals had lost the thrill. It disturbed her to think of it then, and even more now.)

Maybe this was how he dealt with trauma. Gloria cried and generally fell to pieces, this boy treated it as a video game with HP and MP. If he was killed, would he even be afraid right before? If it were a game, he'd just get up with one less life...Gloria shook her head again, sniffling. No, that was stupid. That was a terrible way to think of it. It'd make you careless.

The other guy seemed more serious about it though...But--
"I suppose you already heard, but Nick Reid killed someone. Thing is, I could have stopped him."

But he was only scaring her more. "Wh-what?" she hiccuped. He looked upset now, and kept talking, but she didn't hear most of it--some weird sort of roaring her ears. Maybe it was stress getting to her even more. She suddenly had to fight the urge to vomit.

"... now two people are dead. Despite everything I tried, I couldn't protect anyone, couldn't prevent anything."

Stop it, stop it, stop it...

"I just want to help but... I can't do it alone."

"What?!" Gloria squeaked again, tightening her grip on the gun even more, making her hand hurt and her knuckles white. She stared up with wide eyes, feeling her stomach start to hurt. Was he implying..? "Y-You're recr-re-recruiting p-people aren't...ar-aren't you?" She shook her head rapidly. "B-But I ca-can't do...d-do anything--I-I wanna st-stay in a...a-a group, but..." She lowered her head, staring at the gun. She didn't want to be turned away, she needed company...but this guy had seen someone kill another, right? He might see more. Michael might've missed any deaths, but...Oh, this was so messed up.

"I do-don't know what...to d-do a-anym--more..." she whimpered, lifting her gun up into view.

Moth
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Realizing what she had done, Gloria held the gun even closer to her now, though she didn't lower it out of sight again. Letting out a panicked squeak and holding the weapon to her chest, she looked between the two men with fearful eyes. This was bad. Very bad. Michael sounded nervous, rambling his video-game speak, and the other guy--

"Don't you ever shut up?"

Gloria ducked her head, shaking again. Oh God...Oh God!

"God damn it, this is fucking life and death! This isn't some fucking video game you can just save and quit! These are peoples lives we're talking about, not character sheets and dice rolls."

She'd been thinking something similar, but with less swears. Still, that didn't mean one had to go insane, yell about it--it was a coping mechanism, that was all...That was all, no reason to get angry! Lowering her head further, Gloria moved her hands away from her chest and over her ears, pressing hard, the gun still in one hand, aimed up in the air. Stop it...stop shouting, people will hear us...

The thump of the bag hitting the sand made her jump, and she fearfully lifted her head, praying that the noise meant his tirade was over. It seemed to be...he didn't look ready to scream any more, and he was speaking more quietly now. Gloria couldn't hear what he said with her ears covered, and as she carefully lifted her hands away from them, she only caught one word: "pills."

"...Pills?" she whispered, voice catching in her throat. Was that why he was angry? He needed pills, he was a split-personality, he was crazy?! It was a possibility..a nasty one, at that. Gloria swallowed hard, trying to calm down her heart--her chest was starting to feel a little tight. Okay...okay, if he got angry easily because of lack of pills, or sickness...it was best to not upset him further, right? Maybe not a good idea to travel with him, but...

"D-Don't..." she whispered again. "D-dont be m-mad...w-we won't...we-we'll do what...wh-what you s-sa-say, so...s-so please don't hu-hurt us?!" The last few words came out in a hysterical cry, tears starting to flow again. "Don't hurt us! D-Don't hu-hurt--don't wanna die--d-do wh-what you w-want!" She'd go anywhere he wanted to--at first. If he became horribly dangerous, she'd run...shoot him in the arm, the leg, somewhere non-lethal, and run away. She'd take Michael and they'd run.

Moth
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
He was...leaving? Gloria lifted her head, swallowing her fresher sobs as Alex spoke. He wasn't going to do anything to them? Relief flooded Gloria's body, and she nearly collapsed. Leaning against her duffel, the hand holding the gun dropped onto it, and she just stared in shock at the man who had just a minute ago shouted, threw down a heavy bag--it didn't take much imagination for her to suspect he'd have struck one of them with it.

"W-Wait--!" she called out as he walked past, but her voice was too soft. Softer than usual, for a second, Gloria wondered if she truly wanted him to have waited. And even if he had...What would I say? That I wanted to go with him if it meant staying a group? ...That I'd go with anyone? Just a while ago she'd been planning to leave him, to take Michael and go, hadn't she? This game wasn't letting her think straight. She was confused, tired, sore...terrified.

"Stay out of the announcements," he'd said. Announcements. Gloria looked back at her gun, letting out a noise somewhere between a laugh and a sob. She'd heard them, heard the names, one of which was very familiar...

"O-One..." she whispered, head bowed. "O-One of th-the names I heard...w-we were f-f-friends, I t-think." She looked up at Michael, wiping at her tears without taking her glasses off. "M-Met at p-pr-prom...we w-were both sh-shy, an-and no...no partners...S-So we talked..." Head bowing again, Gloria swallowed. "I--I ga-gave him a.. a r-ride home, and...I'm n-not good with m-men, so...s-so I was su-surprised...that I wan-wanted to s-see him again." A tiny, humorless smile came to her lips. "H-His name was an--announced. W-We'd just m-met, you know?"

Why was she telling him all this, she wondered. Sympathy? Need to have company in mourning? Why?

"I--I wonder..i-if he had...h-had a group. Or w-was alone...I-If I w-was there...I coulda used m-my..." Could she? Could she have though? Lifting her head up again, staring at Michael with teary, wide eyes, she nervously held her free hand out, shaking slightly. "Can...c-can we g-go together? St-strength in numbers...w-we can have e-each other's backs. T-til..." She tried to smile again, thinking if she spoke like him, it'd show she wasn't crazy, evil, or really willing to play the game. "Til f-final boss...a-and ending cut-scene?"
Edited by Moth, Nov 22 2010, 06:06 AM.

Moth
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
For a few moments before he replied to her proposition, Gloria was tensed up, somewhat curled in on herself in nervousness. What if he refused? She didn't know why he would possibly, but the thought was still there. He had the right to say no. Had the right to smack her for the idea, or...or kill...maybe--

But her fears proved to be unfounded, and Gloria relaxed, smiling a bit more in sheer, unadulterated relief. She let out a tiny laugh, the first genuinely-happy sounding laugh she'd uttered during her whole stay here. That was progress! A few tears slipped out of her eyes, and she reached under her glasses to wipe them away. "I...I d-don't know wh-what th-the tanks and D-D-Dps is...but okay..." She reached up, holding the hand that didn't have the gun out, intending to shake his hand.

"W-We'll pr-prote-tect each o-other...ri-right?" she pressed on. "M-My d-dad used to b-be a po-police-man....I-I've an...an idea 'f h-how to u-use this...I--I'll be th-the best t-tank ever, y-you'll see!"

Moth
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
[[OOC: Nothing more to add but Gloria Benson has continued in No Crying Allowed.]]
Edited by Moth, Jan 4 2011, 06:48 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
« Previous Topic · The Beach: North · Next Topic »
Add Reply