Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Day of the Dove; Day 3 : Sunset. Open
Topic Started: Oct 10 2010, 08:45 PM (4,156 Views)
xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
((Helen Wilson continued from Bats & Rats & Blind Cave Salamanders))

She had never gotten around to building a sandcastle. Instead, Helen had spent her time trying to shake off the people she'd met in the tunnels, and then run what she reckoned was south, based on the sea and her map. The forest had been good to her for a while, and she'd managed to find a spare loaf of bread in the duffel bag of a corpse (she didn't know who the corpse was, purposefully not looking at it) which was promising. Since then, and since the few snatched hours of sleep amid the trees, she'd been walking steadily. Trekking was probably a more technical term for it.

Helen had decided on this; the best way to survive was to keep moving. She had, dully, accepted that she was probably going to die, and as a result, the last day or so had been a lot easier on her. There had been two lots of announcements since then, one had woken her up just as she'd escaped from the crazy tunnels lot, the other had been as she'd trekked through an area of relative desertedness on the southern side of the island. She'd been trying to keep a wide berth of the funfair; somehow that seemed a place where psycho's would hang out. Horror movies weren't often set in abadoned fairgrounds for no reason.

There was something worse, though, her iPod was starting to run seriously low on battery. The charge indicator in the top right hand corner had started out on green, around noontime yesterday had slipped into orange, and was now deep into the red section. Turning it off sadld, Helen wrapped the headphones around the device and slipped it back into her back; she would have to go music free for a bit. That was probably a good thing anyway, better to be able to hear if someone was sneaking up on her, so she could turn around and... stab them in the stomach with a glow stick.

Coming into sight of the greens, she had spied Dave, Isabel and Charlie, all of whom seemed very comfortable in each other's company, which filled her with jealousy. She hadn't found anyone she knew yet, not that she knew properly anyhow. At any rate, they looked safe, sunbathing as they were in the warm orange glow of the sunset. It was an unusually beautiful evening, and Helen paused before they saw her to take a picture of them, dark shadows against a fiery sky. A good one for the collection, though she doubted the camera would ever find it's way home. Shrugging, she went up to them, trying to look as unimposing as possible.

"Hi..." she said softly. "Can I join you?"
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

shiny shiny V5 concepts (now with clickies)
Phoebe Cho - I shall be playing Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor. Wizard!
Harry Hanley - I've got Hershey's at half price today! Get 'em quick before I have rehearsal!
Lor Van Diepen - I'm gonna make a video later. About running. Does that sum me up enough?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
They let her sit with them; Helen had never felt so relieved.

Plonking herself onto the grass on the other side of Dave, Helen took a moment to rearrange herself until she was relatively comfortable, allowing a smile in spite of herself. It was strange how she'd never met any of these people before. Charlie, Dave and Izzy. Normal names, relatively not crazy looking people.

"Uh, well I'm called Helen," she said, starting to answer Isabel's questions. How had she spent the last three days. That was, in fact, a very good question. They'd gone quickly considering that she'd spent most of it on her own, trying to avoid what she was certain were madmen all with a vengeance to kill her. "I spent the first day lost in some tunnels with a bunch of people, the normal ones of whom I lost and then I ran away from the crazy ones. Then walked here, all the while depleting my iPod of battery..." she said the last bit mournfully. It was only day three, and she was already without music.

Though perhaps it was a credit to the relative peacefulness of her journey so far that a red battery was her only real problem. She turned to face her three schoolmates properly, trying to remember their names.

"So it's Dave, Charlie and Izzy?" she said hesitantly, pointing to each of them in turn. "Funny how you can go through high school and never learn some people's names," she added softly with a shrug, picking a blade of grass from the gorund and rolling it between her fingers like a cigarette.
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

Phoebe Cho - I shall be playing Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor. Wizard!
Harry Hanley - I've got Hershey's at half price today! Get 'em quick before I have rehearsal!
Lor Van Diepen - I'm gonna make a video later. About running. Does that sum me up enough?

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
Letting out something that she vaguely remembered as being a laugh (she hadn't laughed in three days, and couldn't remember going that long without ever before in her life), Helen lay back on the grass and settled the back of her head in the palms of her hands. She felt... strangely content. As if she coud just about forget the world she was in. Izzy seemed the most friendly of the three, she felt strangely put out by the other two, but she forced herself to be fair. These were, after all, unfortunate circumstances to be meeting people in.

"Sounds like my attempts at the clarinet," she said good naturedly, taking off her glasses to clean them as the last rays of sun bounced off the flecks of dirt that had been obscuring her vision. "Problem was I was actually in the band," Helen added lightly, cleaning the other lens and attempting to drop the glasses at arms length back onto her face. When they fell a couple of inches to the left of her head, she picked them up, rearranging herself into a sitting position, legs sprawled in front of her.

Seconds later, Tyler appeared from somewhere. Shading her eyes to get a better look at him, she watched as he asked to join their party. Helen glanced at the others, not really feeling that she had the authority to formally invite him to join them, she had, after all, been there for all of ten minutes, whereas it appeared that the other three had spent the best part of the last three days together. Helen shrugged her vague seal of approval to the others, wanting to make some kind of gesture at least.
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
The kid, whoever he was, didn't seem to be overly bothered by their complete and utter lack of acceptance. Helen was relieved that she'd shown up when she had and apparently not looked too scary, and also felt a small amount of pride that she hated herself for. Still, her inner child was going they liked me and not you, neener neener neener! In their ignoring of the boy, Dave turned and asked her a question.

"Oh, You played in the band, Helen? How'd that one end?"

Helen smiled, vaguely fond memories flooding back to her.

"They realised I couldn't really play very well and encouraged me to find interests elsewhere," she said with a shrug. The story wasn't entirely true, in actuality she'd just stopped going when she herself had realised she wasn't very good and there were new freshmen playing at a standard several grades above her. It was a pride saving thing. But nobody here needed to know about her utter lack of ability to be less than perfect at anything. Plus the false story was funnier. "It was fine though-"

Just then the boy they had previously shunned started stalking his way towards the noise behind them, which Helen had been trying to ignore, worrying (in a not very serious way) that Izzy, Dave and Charlie would actually kill this one based on their dramatic decline of acceptance levels. The boy had a tire iron; Helen was relieved he hadn't felt a need to bring it out previously. He was walking slowly. Helen watched him for a couple of paces then turned back to the other three.

"I cannot begin to describe how much I hope there's noone in there..." she said wistfully.
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
Despite the sudden flurry of activity and excitement, Helen yawned. There were two mains reasons people yawned, they were bored or they were tired. She suspected hers was the second of the two. It was late in the day, she'd barely slept the night before seeing as she'd been alone in the woods and suspicious that someone would come and stab her while she slept.

Charlie and Dave were doing a pretty good job of putting into words what she wanted to say but couldn't quite muster up the articulation to. At the same time, Isabel was trying to tone things back, something she also agreed with, she was already starting to feel at home with these people and she'd been with them for all of half an hour or so. Currently the situation had a strange comedic air to it, Tyler brandishing a tire iron as a girl who was hiding terrified behind a bush, apparently too scared to come out, not that Helen could blame her. If she were on that side of the tree she'd be scared too.

"Actually," Helen said mildly to Tyler, immediately wishing she hadn't, though, as she was woried he might turn that tire iron on her for talking back to him. He didn't look entirely stable. Also, she didn't like his tone. Implying that they were stupid or something? She was going to study pre-med at Stanford! Then she was going to study medicine and be a doctor. No you aren't. You don't have a chance in hell. No, shut up brain. She was fairly certain that she was more intelligent than him, and yet he dared to talk down to her? Be calm. Be calm. Kill them with kindness. "I haven't met anyone so far that has tried to kill me. I think you'll find that this early on most people aren't actually on a wild, gun swinging rampage. And you'll find that ordering people about," she indicated the bushes, "will generally turn people against you. And those people are more likely to kill you." Did that sound like a threat? Helen had always found that if she threatened someone they laughed in her face, so this would be interesting.

She blushed slightly, not used to talking for quite so long at once, and looked down, picking at the grass.
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
Sleeping was, Helen was starting to feel, the best bit about being on the island. Usually, she found sleep frustrating, a time that was better spent doing other things, but now, the more she slept, the less she had to think about what was happening. Also, if she was killed in her sleep, well she felt that that was the best way to go. Quick and painlessly. Still, it took her a while to drift off, her head resting on her duffel bag and a hoody as a blanket. Memories of the kid and his tyre iron were flittering through her head, she could see it now, it crashing down upon her with sheer force... that would not be a painless way to kick the bucket. She watched the scared girl for a bit, looking peaceful at last, and Helen was grateful when Dave covered her up.

Waking up was one of the worst things about being on the island. Naturally, one's friends getting killed, one's friends becoming killers, and facing psychos with tyre irons were worse, but that slow realisation that actually you weren't at camp, but on an island full of crazies, that was a pretty crap way to start any day. Especially when the usual wake up call was that voice. Those words. That list of the dead and the ones that did it. It was sickening. Helen sat up stiffly, stretching out her back and reaching for a bottle of water in her pillow bag, realising that the glow sticks had been digging into her back all night. She still hadn't come up with a good way to kill anyone with glow sticks, and the resentment at having drawn such a crap weapon came back all over again.

Everyone else was starting to move. Isabel was upset, Helen looked at Charlie; she'd only known her for a very short while, less than twelve hours if her watch was indeed still keeping correct time. She wouldn't know what to say, knew nothing about her, knew nothing of what she might have been through already. Current suspicion was that the announcement had something to do with it. Helen was very acutely aware that her experiences on the island so far had been very mild in comparison to most, and she had no idea what a lot of people were going through. At least you know that you're ignorant in terms of life experience. Surely that's gotta count for something?

It unnerved her that they had no plan, and yet still they all stood up and walked. Perhaps this was the way to do it? To walk without aim? It had kept her alive for more than three days now after all, wandering aimlessly. She scrambled to her feet, realising in the process that she was beginning a muggy headache from sleeping on the ground and not for long enough, and she attempted to start walking and root around in her bag for paracetamol simultaneously, spilling half the bottle in the process.

"Fuck," she said, hoarsely, the first word she had spoken all day. She stopped, and down two tablets quickly, jogging to catch up with the others. "Right! Lets see where it takes us! I'm up for that!" she said as brightly as she could catching up to them.

((Helen Wilson continued in Faraday's Cages))
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
« Previous Topic · The Greens · Next Topic »
Add Reply