Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Fountain of Youth; Day 3 - 6am start (wait 'til Craig Hoyle enters to post)
Topic Started: Oct 10 2010, 05:45 PM (4,701 Views)
Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(David Meramac continued form Your Cross to Bear)

As David Meramac left the shadows of a building and broke into the sun-filled center of town--and, in doing so, into the midst of a rather tense and jittery group of people--it occurred to him he had developed an awful habit of intruding on people at the most inopportune moments. It was only a vague thought, coupled with the idea that such events never when well for him.

Had anyone died back there?

Night had fallen, they had shielded themselves in the warmth of the fire. In spite of his mental and physical exhaustion, in spite of the terror he felt at every shifting shadow and every random noise, he had begun to calm down. He had begun to feel, if not safe, than at least a little more certain of himself. He was very clearly with good people--Cody, Janet, Imraan...

All of whom might be dead right now. All of whom he had left, fighting in his wake as he'd taken off into the darkness.

His legs continued to burn, as did his throat. He had done nothing but run these past few days, and it showed in the sweat-stained stiffness of his clothes, his sunken eyes, his trembling limbs as he jogged unevenly over the ground, wove his way through buildings and broke out onto a new scene.

Onto new people.

At once he saw on their faces all the malice he knew must have been on their assailant's face last night, imagined the danger was back with him. Luck was on his side as he ran--he saw very few people as he ran, and those he saw were always far away. He encountered only one corpse, and that had been in the dead of night--he knew it only...

Only because he'd stumbled.

He flung himself backwards, feeling the limp body in his hands and hearing gunshots rip out of the darkness and seeing hatred on the faces of those he had run across. No mental function left; as he hit the ground, scrambling backwards, words vomited from his throat. "Don't kill me please don't kill me I'm not playing I don't even have a god damn weapon-!"
Edited by Grim Wolf, Oct 27 2010, 12:33 AM.
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

Tara Behzad: "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

Alex Tarquin: "No more masks."

V5 Players

V4 Players
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Mk's note: Try not to skip people if it can be helped, bud.))

David swallowed.

They weren't going to kill him, at least ostensibly. They had no intention of killing him, if what they were saying was true. And the simple fact was that David had no reason to disbelieve them. Everyone he had run across in the past few days had treated him with respect; it was only those on the outside, those who weren't in a group, that really posed a threat.

People like him...

"I'm sorry," he breathed, forcing himself to his feet. "I...sorry." He hesitated, then stepped closer. "Sorry," he repeated. "I was...was with some people, but we got split up." He looked down at his hands and swallowed again. "There was...we got attacked last night, and I-"

He looked down at the ground, thinking of Cody.

"We got scattered," he whispered.

Guilt surged up in him at the lie, and he forced it down. He couldn't stand to be alone on this desperate island, he need their reassurance, he needed to feel safe.

"Anything I can do to help," he muttered, looking sheepishly at his feet.
Edited by MK Kilmarnock, Nov 2 2010, 03:30 PM.
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(GMing with approval)

Maybe David was just stupid, but for the first few moments he didn't see any threat of violence in the words between Craig and...one of the Kromwalls, he wasn't sure which one. Had he heard the name on the Announcements? Was one of the brothers dead? That would be too horrible, David couldn't even imagine-

What-

I-

What?!

And suddenly there was a gun in the air, and David's mouth went try as he turned around and took two running steps away. They had lied to him, there was going to be violence, someone might die and David would be damned if it was him, he could outrun them all, he would be safe, he would be free, he would be-

And then Trent burst past him.

David didn't see the interchange--didn't see the actual blow struck--but he did see Trent collapse. At once the image of Cody Jenkins interposed itself--Cody falling to the sound of gunfire, as David turned to run.

And to his great surprise David found himself stopping.

Craig and the Kromwall locked arms almost at once, struggling together, and David turned around and grabbed Trent around the shoulders. Had to move, had to move, had to get the hell away but Trent was so god-damn heavy and David wasn't sure he could do it by himself, his arms weren't very strong--

Duncan grabbed the other arm, and David, a flighty relief and gratitude surging up through him. They hurried backwards, not watching the fight, not watching what happened as-

BANG.

Oh God.

He couldn't tear his eyes away from Kromwall, even as he tried to save Craig's life, even as he tried to bandage up Craig's wounds. He and Duncan stopped pulling Trent away; only watched.

Only watched.
Edited by Grim Wolf, Nov 10 2010, 02:14 AM.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
If she'd only used the gun.

He'd seen the situation degenerate. He'd seen the tensions rise, the violence. He didn't think Nik Kromwall was wholly to blame for what had happened, even if he did seem to have been awful quick to use that gun. Maybe, just maybe, David could have stuck around.

But then there was Fiona.

David wasn't close enough to hear her apology, or hear Owen's forgiveness. David was only close enough to see a man charge a killer, and what appeared to be the killer's girl axe the man.

He stared. And stared. And stared.

Blood, brains, ooze. Is that what we look like inside our heads? Humans are disgusting fucking creatures, why would we ever love each other? He began to tremble violently, staring at Owen's cleaved skull; shook all over as he took one step backwards, and then another.

"Jesus," he stammered. "Just...just..."

He had gone close to them. He had gone so close to them he'd almost--

"Oh God," he mumbled, and turned.

He was alone on this island. Everywhere he'd gone he'd found only the threat or reality of violence, and as time had gone on it had only gotten worse. An axe? A fucking axe?

I'm going to die. I'm going to die here. I'm going to get gunned down I'm going to get stabbed I'm going to get my head crushed in or chopped in half they'll leave pieces of me all over this fucking place I'll be in pain I'll suffer I'll-

He picked up speed and took off down the street.

(David Meramac continued in But I Might Die Tonight)
Edited by Grim Wolf, Dec 8 2010, 08:19 PM.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · Town Center · Next Topic »
Add Reply