Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Sorry, Mom. Sorry, God.; Day 2 (Night) - THREAD CLOSED
Topic Started: Oct 8 2010, 11:49 PM (4,801 Views)
Hollyquin
Member Avatar
A friendly clown welcomes you to LOCAH. It seems he would like to be your guide.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
[[Hayley Kelly continued from Break Up and Break Down]]

It was a long trip.

Hayley couldn't lie and say she hadn't expected that. She had looked at the map before she'd headed out, after all, and seen that her destination lay quite far away. About as far away as the residential area she'd been too lazy to walk to from the greens. In other circumstances she probably would have groaned and kvetched for as long as doing so would prevent her from having to walk that god-fucking-far, but hey. Times change. Circumstances change. Lame as that is.

She had no idea how long the distance was, in miles, but she did know one thing for certain- by the time the beach came into view, the sun had set completely.

Hayley silently thanked God or Buddha or whoever that they'd made it to the beach when they did. The last bits of light had been leached away, and had they still been traveling they would have been in real danger of a sneak attack. As it was, some part of Hayley's mind acknowledged that they still weren't safe, but at least they were somewhere. And the ocean itself inexplicably made her feel a little more at piece.

She pulled off her bloodstained boots- they're not even worth trying to save at this point, really- and left them on the ground before stepping barefoot into the sand. She curled her toes in the soft sand. It was a comforting feeling. She let herself wear a real smile for a moment. Then she turned to the real issue at hand.

Gotta get all this blood off me. It's gross, and besides that, I'm gonna look all kinds of serial-killer-ish to anyone who runs into me. I mean, after the announcements tomorrow I'll be fucked either way, thank you oh-so-much Danya in advance, but at least maybe people who don't know my name won't think I've been off beheading people. That fact no longer got any sort of reaction from her. The kid she killed didn't matter, the kids that were upset at her for what she'd done, did. So...the ocean. That's water. I can wash in that. But...

Oh, fuck it. Whatever. Oh, yeah, the viewing public's gonna love this.

Sorry, mom. Sorry, God.

Hayley took a couple of steps forward. She dropped her bag in the sand, and after a few moments of concentrated effort, managed to release her vise grip on her sword, letting it drop as well.

She shook off her hat. She pulled her goggles off, over her head. She pulled her dress over her head, and dropped that in the sand, too.

She immediately kind of hated herself for the choice in underwear she'd made the previous morning. Her bra and panties were a matching set, black with red bows, so at least she wasn't going to be embarrassed by wearing clashing clothes on television, and she was actually rather grateful for the color combination- the blood that had soaked through her dress didn't show at all. There were bigger problems, like how the entire ensemble was mostly lace, and how much of it was see-through, and, most paramount to her at that moment, how the backside of her panties was entirely covered in ruffles.

I'm on SotF, I just beheaded a metalhead, I'm covered in blood, and I have ruffles on my ass.

Hayley allowed herself a moment of silence for the death of the small amount of dignity she'd had remaining before continuing to walk forward.

The island was lacking in man-made light sources. Hayley could only imagine that parts of the island were pitch black at this point. But here, where nothing blocked the light of the stars and the moon, and where the sand reflected the light like newly-fallen snow, everything seemed to be glowing. Hayley's white-white skin was no exception, and as the pale moonlight touched her she looked more than anything like a ghost making her way towards the ocean.

Her feet touched wet sand, the highest point that the waves touched. She knew she was going to have to be careful here. Go too deep in the water and BANG, no more head for Hayley. She took a couple more steps forward, feeling the water wash over her feet, then over her legs...

When the water was just under her knees, she lowered herself, slowly, carefully, into it. When a wave passed, the water would just skim over her shoulders. There she sat, letting the salty ocean water wash the blood from her skin. The water was cold, and she was cold, but at least I'm a little more awake now, right? Nothing I can really do, anyway, any water I'd find would be cold.

Hayley sighed. My second night on Survival of the Fittest and I'm basically naked. Hello, logical continuation of my life, right? Honestly.

She thanked God or Buddha or whoever for the water, and for the darkness.
Edited by Hollyquin, Oct 9 2010, 12:00 AM.
being meguca is suffering

[V5] ALIVE:
[x] Aidan Flynn [B???] // Passing slowly though the vector, damp with fog, the bog that grows the former business sector...
[x] Chitose Saionji [G???] // 公園に千歳は本を読む!

[V5] CONCEPTS:
Winston Evans aced the last English test and would like to point out how gorgeous your shoes are.

Those Who've Known - V4
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Hollyquin
Member Avatar
A friendly clown welcomes you to LOCAH. It seems he would like to be your guide.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hayley blinked at the splashing behind her but didn't otherwise react at first. The horrible killer instinct she'd picked up at the fun fair (she almost snorted, thinking the phrase fun fair - yeah, buckets of fun that was seemed to have dissipated for now. She felt calm here. Safe. The spell on her had broken the moment the sword had left her hand.

She knew Kyle was here, of course. She'd walked the whole damn way with him, after all. She didn't take her dress off for him, but she didn't feel the need to send him away, either. There was a long list of people who'd seen Hayley naked, or close to it, and there was an equally long list of people who could see Hayley naked without her giving a flying fuck. Kyle happened to be on the second list. Hayley frowned. See, if everything'd happened the way I wanted it to on this fucking trip this EXACT thing would've happened, except with a lot less blood and a lot less fear for our lives. And we'd probably be on a lake or something. And I'd probably just be legit naked. So yeah it would be kind of different. But, you know, still.

So when she heard the splashing she knew it was Kyle, but she didn't turn to look at him until he was already right there. She smiled slightly. Really, she was happy he was there, even though in all honesty she felt like she'd be more likely defending him. She hadn't even noticed if he had his own weapon. She did notice now, however, that he was currently shirtless. I approve. I'd approve harder if he was pantless, too, but, you know, probably not the time to suggest that?

Pantless isn't a word. Ugh, isn't the water supposed to be waking me up?

"Hey. Do you... um... need help washing your back or anything?"

Hayley laughed. Legitimately, laughed. It was just sooo the dorkiest thing Kyle could have possibly said at that moment, and it was completely adorable. He's so flustered! It's cute, though. I'm used to him getting all wordy when he's nervous though. This is new. Maybe I, like, broke his brain or something. Her laughter quieted and she smiled up at him, wider than before. Trying not to laugh again. Hoping he wouldn't take the laughter personally.

"I could maybe use your help not freezing to death in this water?"

She pulled him down to her, to her height in the water, so the two were side by side. She did not perform the tackle-makeout maneuver she'd been thinking would be perfect for this moment. Maybe later. Instead she curled up close to him, wrapping her arms around one of his, taking advantage of his body heat. She looked out into the distance.

Apologize, the waves told her. Hayley decided that when the ocean tells you to do something you best fucking acquiesce.

"I'm...sorry."

[V5] ALIVE:
[x] Aidan Flynn [B???] // Passing slowly though the vector, damp with fog, the bog that grows the former business sector...

[V5] CONCEPTS:
Winston Evans aced the last English test and would like to point out how gorgeous your shoes are.

Those Who've Known - V4

Hollyquin
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hayley leaned into Kyle, the feeling of his arms wrapping around her calming her down even further. Something about the combination of the soft sound of the waves washing up on shore, the reflection of the moon on the water, the presence of her boyfriend...she felt safe. Relatively, at least.

Ignoring completely, for the moment, that she was mostly naked.

Thank God or Allah or whoever that I'm with Kyle and not like any other boy in this school, they'd be ALL OVER me right now. Not that I can blame them, I'm hot as fuck, but still. Like. This probably isn't the time. Not that there ever will be a time.

She frowned.

Fuck, if I die here, I'll have died having not fucked anyone for like...two months! Fucking Christ. That's not even, like, right. I do not approve. God I hate this game...

"I don't think you have to be."

She blinked. It had taken Kyle a moment to collect his thoughts, and she, lost in hers, was surprised when he responded. The response itself...didn't really surprise her.

"I think that, in this case, your explanation was the truth, most importantly, and it was a good reason."

Hayley made a point of not meeting his eyes. He's so willing to believe me. Just like Alex and Maddy were. They want to think that's the truth. What the hell am I supposed to say? "Yeah well I may or may not have subconsciously invented that reasoning so the rest of you wouldn't think I was a fucking psychopath?" That'll go over well with the others. Especially Charlene, seeing as she's such a big Hayley fan already...fuck, why am I thinking like this? That was the reason. I told the truth. I need to stop trying to convince myself that I'm a crazy when I don't have any proof.

No proof? Really? You're willing to go quite far to maintain your delusions, honeybee.

Shut the fuck up, you.

She didn't respond. What was there to say? He trusted her. Whether that trust was misplaced...wasn't something she wanted to think about.

Instead, she looked up and kissed him.

[V5] ALIVE:

[V5] CONCEPTS:

Those Who've Known - V4

Hollyquin
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hayley was...she didn't want to say content, since then she'd be pretty much dooming herself to something awful happening in the next few minutes, but it still seemed like the right word. She took a moment to splash her face with the ocean water- clearing off the small amount of blood that had dried there, along with the last of her pathetically smudged eyeliner- and took a deep breath. She was content, content to watch the ocean, cold and quiet as it was, content to let the water do all the work in washing the blood from her skin, content to lose herself in the arms of he-who-would-(unfortunately)-be-her-last-love.

...Well, she was content until she started thinking about it like that.

Not willing to let her thoughts linger in that direction, she kissed him again. Harder, this time, with a tinge of last-chance desperation behind it. This time it wasn't him she was trying to distract. She needed to distract herself. Pretend for a little while longer that they weren't both going to die very, very soon, pretend for a little longer that they were on a goddamn camping trip and they'd just sneaked out for a romantic swim in the moonlight. Hayley was generally really really good at pretending and she damn well was gonna take advantage of that.

Maybe take advantage of a couple of other things, too.

Oh, whoa, hold on, brain, remember that 'not a good time for this' memo you got a few minutes ago? It meant that this is not a good time for this.

Her mind could say whatever the fuck it wanted, but Hayley's body had made up its mind.

She pressed into Kyle, pushing him down as far as she dared, getting as close to on top of him as she could without actually pushing him in the water. It felt good, somehow, acting like this. It felt normal. It felt like she was regaining a tiny bit of control in this really, really uncontrollable situation. It felt like a damn lot of other things that Hayley wouldn't have chosen to relate to her audience, though given her choice of action it was pretty obvious. One hand tangled in his hair, the other hand skimmed over his bare chest, and dammit, she was in her element.

Pathetic as that is. Whatever, how perfect is this, though? Like, in books that go like this doesn't the couple in love survive? Well, unless they fuck, then they're screwed. Literally. Haha...hah...wait, that's horror movies I'm thinking of. This is like, some young adult fiction bullshit. The couple in love always lives. Well, at least one of them does. Oh whatever with my fucking thoughts right now-

"...Hayley?"

She froze.

Hayley, maybe just a bit reluctantly, separated from Kyle, trying to wrap her mind around the voice she'd just heard. It's...how'd she find us? Where has she been? Is she okay? Has she fought anyone? Did she get a decent weapon at least? Is someone helping her? Is someone protecting her? And a smaller voice, further back in her mind- Why'd she have to come NOW, of all times?

But all that was overpowered by one thought, simplistic as it was.

Ema.

Ema's here. Ema's okay. Ema's alive.

Ema. Emaemaemaemaemaema-

She stood and ran for the voice, quickly spotting the figure on the sand, another ghost in the moonlight. Even in the pale light that hair burned orange, and Hayley could have cried out from joy at the sight of it. She was prepared to keep running, hug the hell out of her ex-girlfriend, possibly knock her into the sand out of pure enthusiasm, but suddenly she remembered a couple of things.

I'm soaking wet. I'm wearing basically nothing.

That was never more true than now, seeing as the scraps of fabric she still had on were made even more see-through by their dampness.

...And I was just all over Kyle. Could she see that? ...She definitely heard it.

...And now we genre-shift to fucking soap opera.

She was right in front of Ema now. She didn't reach out to her. If she was right about what Ema had seen, or heard, and if she knew Ema- and she was pretty sure she did- there was a verbal beating waiting for her. Hayley didn't really care.

"Ema...you're alive. I was...so worried..."

Hayley's bloodied sword lay in the sand nearby, the metal glinting way-too-obviously in the moonlight. Hayley resolved to ignore it for as long as was humanly possible.

The whole 'yeah I'm like naked in the ocean with my boyfriend who is totally not you' thing is bad enough without the whole 'oh and I also decapitated some boy' thing.

...God, this is my life, isn't it?
Edited by Hollyquin, Oct 11 2010, 12:58 AM.

[V5] ALIVE:

[V5] CONCEPTS:

Those Who've Known - V4

Hollyquin
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hayley managed- somehow- to hold back her laughter at the color Ema's face was slowly turning. Pfft...she's starting to match her hair, I swear to god...Still, like, I guess it makes sense. We dated for like two months and we never got anywhere near this and now we're on a fucking island trying to kill each other and I'm like. Naked. But...like...it's so funny... Somehow, though, she managed to stuff it, keeping her visible amusement limited to a small smile on her face. She opened her mouth to speak, but then-

"Who's your friend?"

Oh yeah, this isn't going to be awkward at all.

Hayley looked beside her, and yep, there was Kyle, all tall and shirtless and wet and sexy as hell. Not that that's gonna do me any favors right now...urgh. This is some Degrassi bullshit right here.

"I'm Ema, we, err.. Hayley and I used to, uh... we used to date, last year, actually..."

AWKWARD AWKWARD AWKWARD AWKWARD AWKWARD

"Yeah, er, I thought you two had met?" Lies lies lies. Hayley knew damn well the two had never met, hell, she'd made a point of ensuring the two never crossed paths. The sure to ensue drama had steered her away from trying, not that that was working out particularly well for her now. "Uhm, Ema, this is Kyle...my boyfriend. Kyle, this is Ema, my best friend." She put some emphasis on the best friend bit in order to not linger on this whole boyfriend-meets-ex-girlfriend awkwardness, not that she expected that ploy to do much.

She turned back to Ema specifically, given that Kyle was fully caught up on the events-at-hand.

"So, like, I've been looking for you with Maddy this whole time! I got really fucking lucky and woke up by the groundskeeper's hut and Maddy was RIGHT THERE and we were just all, like, oh shit, let us go forth and adventure and find us some Ema Ryan! And some other people, obviously, and we ended up running into Alex...you know Alex? Alex Campbell? We ran into him down at the greens, and he was with this girl Charlene and this guy Jon, but he was being a dick, so he left-" she realized she was probably putting in too much detail as it was and so left out the shooting- "and then the greens turned into a dangerzone so we were like ohhh shit and we ended up at the fun fair, which was, for the record, in no way fun, and that's where we found Kyle, and then-"

Fuck. The run-on sentence cut off as Hayley took a breath and realized she'd forgotten that she was going to have to tell big fucking lies here. She'd just found Ema, she didn't want to scare her off already. Lies of omission are still lies but...eh. Oh well. Truth's all gonna come out in the morning anyway.

"...and then we were going to stay there for the night, but I wanted to go off on my own, and Kyle wanted to come with. So we came here because...because I wanted to wash up. Can't be all gross just because people getting all stab-happy, right?"

She grinned a fake, fake grin. Better to have her think that I came out here to fuck my boyfriend than to have her think I'm a murderer.

She's going to know in the morning either way.

Whatever. Give me a couple of hours of peace. Enough to sleep, maybe, that would be awesome. Deal with the drama and bullshit in the morning.

Whatever makes you happy, honeybee.

"So...yeah, we're all clean now. I figure we're all in desperate need of sleep, and here seems like a good place, so..." Hayley realized a possibility and frowned. "Assuming you want to stay. Uhm...please stay? I...don't want to lose you again." I must look REALLY pathetic right now. That aside, it was clear that she was now being nothing if not honest. "We could take shifts, make sure we all get at least a little sleep. We're meeting up with Maddy and Alex and Charlene at the groundskeeper's hut in the morning. I left all my clothes there, so I can get some new ones..."

She realized a little late that she'd revealed a bit too much. Her dress was obviously out- it lay with her sword, also soaked with blood and now sandy in addition. She was going to have to make her way to the hut mostly naked. In broad daylight. Fun times lay ahead! Fuck, if nothing else, best distraction technique ever. But for now she was going to have to distract Ema from the slip-up she'd just made.

"...I'm sorry about all this, by the way," she said, motioning to herself, scratching her head a bit sheepishly. "I...wasn't exactly expecting company."
Edited by Hollyquin, Oct 12 2010, 11:34 AM.

[V5] ALIVE:

[V5] CONCEPTS:

Those Who've Known - V4

Hollyquin
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
You know, this is going almost well. In a really fucking awkward kind of way.

Hayley had to resist a literal sigh of relief when Ema didn't question the reasoning behind her actions, or why she just didn't put her old clothes back on, or any of that fun-to-explain stuff. The other girl was...quiet, too quiet, almost as though she had thought through the possible reasons of Hayley's awkwardness and general failure at lying and had simply decided she didn't want to know, or just didn't really care.

Yeah, Ema's smart, she's gonna know something's up, but...

But tomorrow she'll know for sure. She won't trust you.

She won't trust me if I tell her now! How the fuck do you think she's gonna sleep if she finds out now that I killed someone?!

Think she'd rather find out now from you, or tomorrow from Danya?

She couldn't respond to that, even mentally. There was no answer.

"You could borrow some of mine until then... if you want, that is, I mean...yeah."

Hayley blinked. There's a distraction if I've ever heard one.

"You brought your clothes with you...? Damn, girly, you must be exhausted. I left all my crap back at the hut, didn't want to carry around more than I had to..."

The phrase more than I had to made her remember her backpack. Remembering her backpack made her remember her bread. Remembering her bread reminded her that she was still really really hungry, but since her bag was with her bloody sword and dress- hell, it was bloody itself- she decided against it. Best to ignore her hunger for now. It could wait until morning.

"I think I'm alright for now. Maybe in the morning?" She decided to leave out the fact that she normally slept naked. Ema was tomato-like enough as it was.

"If we do sleep here, I'll keep watch. I'm not tired."

Hayley looked over at Kyle in surprise. "How are you not tired?! We've already been up for like. Probably thirty-something hours now? Unless you slept on the first night, cause I know I didn't." Despite her shock, Hayley was not one to look a gift horse in the mouth. No use complaining at extra sleep. I'm SOOO tired. There's no way it's earlier than, like, midnight right now- though she had no way of knowing it, she was about right in her estimation- and if I'm gonna not pass out tomorrow I need to sleep.

Hope Kyle will be okay, though...

She followed Ema over to what was apparently their chosen campsite, which did, admittedly, look pretty comfortable. Hayley was about to complain that she didn't particularly want to sleep in dirt- she had just washed, after all- when Ema produced a blanket and towel. "You might want those," Ema said, yawning, prompting Hayley to yawn as well. She smiled appreciatively, spreading the towel out on the ground and curling up on top of it, getting cozy under the blanket. Oh man, I'm gonna sleep like a baby. But then, frowning suddenly, she looked up at Ema.

"You can fit too, right? Come on, it's so comfortable. I can't even."

[V5] ALIVE:

[V5] CONCEPTS:

Those Who've Known - V4

Hollyquin
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The whole thing was totally easy.

This wasn't a big deal. Right? Sleeping in the same...uh...towel as your friend? That was normal, right? Well, nothing else about the situation as a whole was normal, but sleeping with a friend was normal. For girls, anyway. She'd had a million sleepovers with Maddy and sometimes one of them would forget a sleeping bag or an air mattress was broken or something and they'd slept in the same bed. Totally no big deal at all. They'd just slept. And the fact that Hayley's clothing was practically non-existent or that Hayley and Ema had dated or that the tension in the air could be cut with a knife or that Hayley was in no way over Ema-

Hold that thought, okay? Just hold it.

It was normal and easy and no big deal. Obviously.

She curled up under the blanket, next to her friend, her mind blanking, barely conscious of the arm that draped across her shoulder...

Time passed.

Hayley Kelly's mind had an unusual way of working. Her dreams were a sympathetic mind's way of spicing up what was, by her standards, an absurdly boring mind. Her dreams were frequent, colorful, unusual, and she regretted waking up from even the bad ones. Even those- the zombie apocalypses, the demonic dreamscapes, and yes, even the dreams of being on Survival of the Fittest- were more interesting than her everyday life. Anything was, anything would be. Normalcy was the worst thing in the world, and any escape from the mundane was an escape. No matter how awful that escape was.

Now, with her situation anything but mundane, her sleep was dreamless.

She awoke to find herself as close to Ema as she could have managed, her body having unconsciously apparently pressed into hers. Ema's arm was still around her. She had no way of knowing if Ema was awake- she couldn't see her face- but...she didn't move an inch.

Might as well enjoy this moment. It's not gonna last much longer.

Five minutes of peace, and then, static.

Hayley sat up immediately, reaching for her bag, which Kyle had thankfully moved nearby. She spared him a quick look, seeing that he was still awake and alive, before returning to the matter at hand.

"Do you kids know what makes Uncle Danya happy?..."

She dug through her bag for her cigarettes. She was going to need one in a minute.

"Things like... fine cigars, roast dinners, quiet nights in with Mrs. Danya... those things make Uncle Danya happy. But what also makes Uncle Danya happy is when his beloved students are game for the competition."

She retrieved the pack, plucking a cancer stick from within- counting and finding she had been doing a damn good job of rationing thus far- and returning the pack to her bag, searching for a lighter.

"Ladies and gentlemen of Bayview secondary school. You are making me a very happy man indeed. Not content with your fantastic showing across day one, you decided to not only match but exceed yourselves!"

She paused, lighter in hand.

"The second day of our little competition saw twenty-one students bite the dust, buy the farm and shuffle off their mortal coils! Kids... my hat is off to you."

"...Holy shit."

Twenty one?! God, how many is that now? Like...forty? Jesus fucking Christ...

Twenty one students. Twenty one more chances for Maddy or Alex or Dutchy or Isabel or Jay to die.

On the bright side...it wasn't just me. ...Wow, terrible human being much?

She lit the cigarette.

The announcements went about as well as she could have hoped. This time, more than last, she took mental note of the names that Danya spoke. She recognized a few, though none well enough for her to mourn them. Eve, for example- she had a baby, right? Damn, that's...that's really awful... She almost laughed at the mention of Jonathon- serves him fucking right -but for obvious reasons, she no longer felt like doing anything like being happy.

"Eleventh to die was one Steve Barnes, who found out that Hayley Kelly losing her head meant him losing his..."

"Ha. Ha."

Hayley's voice was bitter.

"Danya needs to learn that puns are the lowest form of humor..."

She took a long drag of her cigarette and blew the smoke away, drawing the blanket close to her. Not looking at Ema. She wouldn't. She couldn't.

I can't do this.
Edited by Hollyquin, Oct 13 2010, 03:10 PM.

[V5] ALIVE:

[V5] CONCEPTS:

Those Who've Known - V4

Hollyquin
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
"You killed him!?"

Hayley didn't want this. Didn't need this. Couldn't do this. Not right now. Not ever.

You knew this was coming. You had time. You could've thought about it all night if you wanted to. But what were you expecting when you killed him? That all of your friends would just not give a shit, be all like, oh it's okay, it's just Hayley, I'm sure it's no big deal? What the fuck? Unless you're a fucking idiot, and maybe you are, that would explain a lot, you knew this was coming from the second your sword hit that boy's neck. What was his name? Steve? Not that you care.

Shut up, okay? Shut up. I know. I'm stupid. I shouldn't have waited. I just wanted everything to be okay for one night at least, you know? One fucking night, and I got it.

And was it worth it?

Yeah, it fucking was. So shut the fuck up. And don't act like you know how I feel.

Of course I know how you feel, honeybee. I am you.

Fuck you. Just...fuck you.

Real mature. You're the one who can't deal with the real world right now. You're the one who can't deal with the nasty, icky, gross thoughts she's having and you're the one who has to act like it's someone else having those thoughts for you. You're sad, you're pathetic, and you're not cut out for this game.

If you're gonna be a killer, fucking own up to it.

Otherwise, go ahead and off yourself now. It'll hurt less.

Hayley hadn't moved yet. Her cigarette was burning slowly, wasted, and she sort of cared but she didn't really because she had plenty left and anyway if she took a pull right now she would look like she was ignoring Ema but she already looked like she was ignoring Ema and she was so glad that Kyle was there because this was impossible, unlivable, undoable alone, hell it was undoable either way but at least this way she could pretend that not EVERYONE hated her even though she was pretty sure everyone hated her including Maddy and Alex even though they were being nice probably because they didn't want her to go crazy and kill them too and Kyle probably hated her too but he was being nice out of some sense of duty or something and now Ema would hate her too but what was she supposed to do this was for their own good all of it all of it all for them she couldn't she wouldn't she loved them this was for-

She realized she'd been holding her breath.

Inhale.

Exhale.

"Why didn't you tell me before?"

Quieter. Less anger. More...hurt. Hurt again. So much hurt, everywhere, everyone, hurt.

You did this. I did this. Me.

She noticed she was shaking and took a long drag of her cigarette to at least keep her hands steady.

"Why... why did I have to hear it from... him?"

Quieter still. Him. Danya. King of the island at least in his own head.

King Douchebag.

King Asshole.

King Motherfucker.

And I lied to her and HE told her the truth. He's more honest than I am. Beyond horrible. Me, beyond horrible. God...fucking...dammit.

She shook her head, mainly to reassure herself. Of what? Who knew. No one knew, least of all her. She found herself speaking, somehow, her voice shaking like her hands still were and her words coming from somewhere she didn't know.

"I wanted a night. One night. One more night of peace, one more night to pretend that we're not here, one more night where you wouldn't hate me and where the rest of our fucking school wouldn't be afraid of me and where I could pretend that everything was okay. And...and I knew you'd find out, and I knew I should tell you, but I didn't want you to leave, and I...I don't know."

Her excuses sounded weaker and weaker as they were spoken.

"I don't know. I'm an idiot. I know I'm an idiot. I...I'd seen a body, and then he...Steve came out of nowhere, and I was so afraid he was going to hurt us, so I...attacked first. I didn't mean...I didn't want...I'm not playing."

Keep lying, honeybee. You've always been good at it.

Not even the energy to yell at herself remained.

"I just want to keep everyone alive. You... both of you. Maddy, and Alex, and Jay and Dutchy and Isabel and anyone else you guys want to keep safe. We're all supposed to die here, but...I'll protect everyone for as long as I can. I'm not that strong, but I can try, and I will never, ever let anything bad to happen to you."

Her voice got stronger as her words became honest.

"If you want to leave now, I'll understand. Lies of omission are still lies, so I lied to you. I...that was stupid. I shouldn't have done that. If you leave, I...I'm glad I got to see you, at least. Glad I got to...spend one night with you."

Something like a blush. Really? Now? Oh, I'm sure Kyle is loving this.

"But I don't want to let you go, because if I hear your name on the announcements, I...won't be able to deal with it. I need to be there to make sure you're safe. I don't want to...end up alone."

Selfishness all over.

"So...please stay. I promise, it's all the truth from here on in."

Don't make promises you can't keep.
Edited by Hollyquin, Oct 13 2010, 09:37 PM.

[V5] ALIVE:

[V5] CONCEPTS:

Those Who've Known - V4

Hollyquin
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Brain waves. Brain, dazed. Her mind wasn't in the right place right now. Her mind wasn't in any place, really, her mind was in itself and that was wrong wrong wrong but that made no sense, what made sense?- nothing, this was Survival of the Fittest, logic was far from necessary and the only thing true and clear in the world right now was that the world was coming undone and the most important things were falling apart, unraveling, love and friendship and desire and everything all of it all of it was leaving her because she'd done it, she'd killed someone, she really had and she deserved everything she got now and all the judgment Ema might have and all the harsh words she'd be sure to speak she deserved every single bit of it and more and-

Inhale.

Exhale.

She felt strong arms around her, and leaned back into them.

Maybe he doesn't hate me, at least.

Her cigarette was quickly approaching its last moments of life, and she sped the process up by taking one last pull. She retrieved another, lighting it with the smoldering remains of the first and sending that first flying towards the sand. Another pull.

Inhale poison.

Exhale smoke.

She was shaking a bit less now. Ema was quiet. Why was she quiet? She should be yelling at me. She should be running away. She should be...should be something.

That would be best. You won't have to lie to her again.

Yeah...

And you don't have to think about killing her when the time comes.

She shoved that evil thought out of her mind. That wasn't her. Would never be her. When the time came...

I don't know. Someone will probably kill her or me or both of us before the time comes so does it really matter?

Don't be so pessimistic.

It didn't matter, because Ema was going to leave. That was the obvious choice. Hayley was gonna be a target now, along with anyone who was with her- surely Kyle had realized it too? why was he staying, then? I wonder why he trusts me, I wouldn't- and even though she was strong enough to protect Ema, Ema would probably be better off with another bodyguard. One who hadn't killed anyone. Probably the best idea for both of them would be sending them off together without me but...damn would that be fucking awkward. But Ema...she can find someone else, I know she can, she doesn't need me, not the way I need her-

"Of course I'll stay with you."

Hayley blinked.

What?

She was standing now. Hayley stood up too, since it seemed like the thing to do, helping Kyle up. He looked...sick? Is he okay? He really should have slept last night...I really can't afford to be carrying dead weight around...

Wow, cold much? Who are you really worried about here? Kyle? Or Ema? Who matters more?

She knew the answer, but even mentally it was hard to say. She hugged Kyle, mainly out of guilt.

"I mean, you're not planning on losing your head in my direction, right?"

She laughed. It was still a bit bitter, but there was something real behind it, too.

"Besides, what would I do with myself all alone? I think I'd rather stick with someone for better or worse, than just go all hermit-y."

Trying to pretend she wasn't freaked out like ten seconds ago. Strategy! Wonder what she's really thinking, though. Wonder if she forgives me. Wonder if she will, ever.

Another pull of her cigarette. Her hands weren't shaking anymore. Her voice was a little stronger.

"Well. If that's settled...we've gotta get going. Groundkeeper's hut is open again, so that's where we're meeting Maddy and Alex and Charlene. I...I have less stuff than you, so I can help you carry it, if you want?"

Some part of the background of her mind suddenly remembered she was still mostly naked. Now in bright sunlight.

Well. That's my life, now isn't it?
Edited by Hollyquin, Oct 14 2010, 12:58 PM.

[V5] ALIVE:

[V5] CONCEPTS:

Those Who've Known - V4

Hollyquin
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
So this is going almost well.

Other than all the buried resentment and extreme awkwardness.

Hayley gave a half-smile- an actual, legitimate half-smile as opposed to the twitchy kind brought on by near nervous breakdowns- and grabbed her bag, taking another pull of her cigarette as she did so. Food. Food is good. She'd only managed to stuff down a couple of crackers and some water the day before, and so she was practically overcome by ravenous joy at the discovery of her baguettes, completely unharmed and begging to make close personal friends with her stomach. She ripped off a decent sized piece, returning the rest to her bag, chewing happily.

"Ya'll should probably eat something too. Like, sleep is important, so is noms. Oh, and water. We can do that while we move, though, so...yeah," she ended weakly. She put her bag back down for the moment and gave Ema's the once over.

Ooof. Heavy. Heavvvvy. I'm gonna like pass out or some shit if I try to carry that around all day...

That is in fact what you get for trying to be a nice person. What are you going to do if you're attacked? How are you going to defend anyone carrying that shit around? You're going to be useless. Even more useless.

Shut up. If we're attacked, I drop the bag. Duh. Urgh, must of been hell on Ema carrying this around...

"Why'd you decide to take all this with you, girly?" Hayley asked, alternating between pulls of her cigarette and bites of bread. "You shouldn't need it. I probably should have brought a change of clothes with me but like...eh. I shouldn't bitch, sleep would have been mad uncomfortable if we didn't have your blanket and towel and shit. I should be thanking you."

Her cigarette finished, she flicked the butt away and took a large bite of her nearly-finished peace of bread, looking over at Kyle. He seemed to be offering her clothes. ...Pants? The hell am I gonna do with those, live in them? The thought seemed unreasonably bitchy even to her, but the truth was Kyle was an average-sized boy and Hayley was a tiny, tiny girl. She took the pants out of politeness but could immediately see that they weren't going to work.

"Thanks, Kyle, but...I don't think this is gonna happen." A thought struck her. "Maybe a shir-?"

BANG.

Birds went flying from the trees like in a bad movie while Hayley jumped, dropping what remained of her piece of bread and starting a mental tirade of R-rated language.

Fucking shit cocksucker motherfucking fucker cunt fuck SHIT.

Who the FUCK is shooting us?

It was an assumption- Hayley knew that- but this was Survival of the Fittest. It was a perfectly reasonable assumption, and one that might save her life. A moment's pause was enough to show that none of the trio had been shot, and no one was running out of the trees at them, but the gunshot had definitely been from nearby and some shit was DEFINITELY going down.

Shit's getting real, again. Fuck, can shit please stop getting real for, like, five minutes...?

Hayley grabbed her sword, shiny and clean (When'd that happen...? Must've been Kyle, I guess), and turned back to the other two. Loathe as she was to leave them without her protection...she needed to know what was happening. How was she supposed to protect Ema otherwise?

"Stay here. Both of you. Unless...unless you feel like you need to run, then run, I'll try to find you, okay? I'm gonna...gonna go see what happened. See if...anyone's hurt. I'll try to be back real quick, okay? Don't worry about me, honeybees, I'll be fine..."

And having managed to keep her voice from shaking again- even having managed another smile- she ran off into the trees, after the source of the gunshot. After whatever it was that could hurt her, could hurt Kyle, could hurt Ema. After whatever it was she needed to destroy. Had she been alone, she would have ran away, but as it was...

That's what she kept telling herself, anyway. Kept repeating in her mind.

This is for Kyle. This is for Ema. This is to protect them.

But still, there was that tiny voice in the back of her head, whispering seductively...

A gun. Imagine what you can do with a gun...?
Edited by Hollyquin, Oct 16 2010, 04:20 PM.

[V5] ALIVE:

[V5] CONCEPTS:

Those Who've Known - V4

Hollyquin
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Run, run, before you're well done, girly.

Hayley ran.

The woods weren’t thick here, right by the beach. The trees were spaced out enough that running wasn’t an issue, particularly considering Hayley’s current state of fucking adrenaline-rushed-as-shit. If that’s even a phrase, which it’s not. It occurred to her eventually that she was running after a sound that had long since past, a loud sound that could have easily echoed and fucked up her perception of where it had actually come from. Of course, by the time she realized this she’d already gotten pretty damn far into the woods.

Fuckkk, I have no idea where I’m going, do I? Running on stale bread and fumes and adrenaline...I need an energy drink or some vodka or some shit. Gah.

She realized suddenly that she still had some vodka in a flask back in her bag. Suddenly she felt much better.

She stopped running and tried to stop her mind from running its...mouth? Brains don’t have mouths though. WHY AM I THINKING ABOUT THIS?, which obviously was an exceptionally difficult task for one Hayley Kelly. After a few moments she managed to open her mind enough to hear, really hear, the world around her.

It was quiet. TOO QUIET. God I’ve always wanted to say that. SHUT UP, BRAIN.

Birds chirping, oblivious to the game they’d found themselves living around. The wind blowing through the leaves. Footsteps.

Footsteps?

Footsteps. Coming from back the way she’d came.

“Fuuuuuuuuucker...” she couldn’t help but mutter to herself. The louder and more colorful curses occurred, thankfully, in her head. She headed back in that direction, slower this time in an effort not to be so loud, though the adrenaline pumping through her legs screamed faster, faster, you idiot, you’re running out of time...

She was, in fact, running out of time, though she couldn’t yet know that.

"Stay back! I-I-I-I'll shoot! I-"

Hayley paused, confused. The voice was a definite, but she couldn’t see anyone yet, and the voice didn’t seem to be pointed in her direction. Obviously this was the gun-wielder she’d heard earlier (unless there was a second person with a gun lurking around, not something she wanted to think about) but who was he talking t-

Kyle. Ema.

Danger, Will Robinson.

She panicked for a fraction of a second only before realizing that this was her goddamn chance. They needed her, needed her to save them from crazy-guy-with-a-gun, needed her help, and she felt good about that. This was something she could do, something she wouldn’t regret, something anyone would understand! She was gonna be a motherfucking hero right now, pull off some white knight shit, come riding in on...uh...her feet with fucking Excalibur and save her princess and...uh...my prince? WHATEVER, let’s go, Hayley, really awesome things don’t happen themselves.

She moved towards the voice. Slowly. Quietly. If he really did have a gun and he heard a branch snap or some shit behind him he’d swerve and BANG and no more head for Hayley. She did want to run but oh fucking well, self preservation is pretty cool.

"T-This isn't what it looks like...I swear, I swear..."

The fuck is he talking about. This isn’t what if fucking looks like? Pointing a gun at someone is generally what it looks like, honeybee.

Hayley was quite annoyed that whoever this boy was seemed to be trying to ruin her soon-to-be-created hero cred by playing the victim. He was ruining her buzz.

Wait. Buzz? Hero or not I should NOT be getting this hype about, like, killing people.

Fuck, what is this game doing to my brain?

No time to think about this now. Not unless you like watching your friends die.

She gritted her teeth, not sure what to be annoyed at- her ever-irritating inner game voice for making her feel like a bad person all the damn time, or her moral center (such as it was) making her feel like...well...a bad person all the damn time. Either she was going to feel guilty about this, or she wasn’t. Either she was a bad person, or she wasn’t. Hayley was never a fan of dichotomies and this was in no way an exception. At any rate, she kept moving. Hero or not, bad person or not, she wasn’t about to let anyone get shot.

She saw him. His back, at any rate. Close, pretty close, anyway, clearly holding- she would have whistled if she wasn’t trying to be sneaky, it was a pretty, pretty gun and she wanted to have it shut up Hayley that’s not the point you’re not killing him for the fucking gun are you sure yes I’m fucking sure and he was definitely pointing it at someone. He could see the beach beyond him and- yes, he couldn’t see their faces but it was unmistakeably Ema and Kyle. She moved closer. Slowly. Her hand tightened around the hilt of her by-now-beloved weapon.

"Hey! Drop it! Drop the knife! I-I'm not joking! Don't just stand there! Drop the knife! Your whore girlfriend's gone and cut someone's head off! That bitch, s-she-”

Oh, no. Nooooo. This cocksucking MOTHERFUCKER.

Hayley was used to being called a whore. Used to being called a bitch. In normal circumstances, she’d laugh, say something suitably bitchy and cutting in response. These were what you would call ‘abnormal circumstances’ and Hayley Kelly was gonna have to cut a bitch.

Literally.

She dashed, her feet lifting off the ground, making up the distance between herself and the boy in front of her too quickly for him to react. The feeling was disturbingly familiar. An exact repeat of last time. But no matter, last time she was panicked and scared and being stupid. This time she felt no guilt, not because she was saving her friends, but because she was damn straight pissed off.

"You're - NO ONE'S not going to get me so easily! J-Just-"

She was practically smirking when her sword bit hard into the boy’s neck.

So much for heroism.
Edited by Hollyquin, Oct 18 2010, 02:25 PM.

[V5] ALIVE:

[V5] CONCEPTS:

Those Who've Known - V4

Hollyquin
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
So now that was done, now another boy was dead, now Hayley Kelly had sunk her curved blade into a second neck, felt a second blood spray, a second head lay on the floor, a second red red body had fallen prone in front of her, a second kill would be attributed to her name in the Survival of the Fittest recordbooks.

The main difference this time was that Hayley really didn't give a fuck.

He deserved it.

It was only after the fact that she was able to realize the corpse belonged (Used to belong? Fuck, how does possession work when you're dead? There's laws about that shit...) to one James Mulzet, a boy she had never, ever liked. Of course, being someone that annoyed Hayley Kelly was not grounds for death- if it was most of the world would be condemned- and she wouldn't have damned anyone she hated on sight. Not even- she groaned as she realized she must be on this island somewhere- fucking Annaliese Hansen. Nope, Hayley wasn't out for revenge- what fucking teenage sin was worth killing someone over?

Of course, pointing a gun at someone's boyfriend and ex-girlfriend best friend is not a typical teenage sin. And Hayley would be straight damned if she was gonna get away with that on her fucking watch.

Not to even go INTO how the little fuckhead called me a whore.

Yeah, sucks for you, asshole. Victory for Hayley, mhm, and what, bitches!

She hummed the victory tune from Final Fantasy- in her head, having no desire to make Kyle and Ema think she was crazy or, well, crazier, I guess- and then finally exited her headspace and re-entered the real world.

The first thing she said out loud was something like "Aueughhh."

She was covered in blood. And, like, muscle or some shit. Bone fragments. Ewwwwh... Last time she was too weak to properly comprehend how gross this all was. Hayley wasn't squeamish, not in the least, and she didn't feel like vomiting (this time, anyway), but this is so fucking...ergh...Fuck you, James Mulzet, for making my life gross from beyond the damn grave. I JUST washed. Like, yesterday. Well. Good think I'm already like practically naked, otherwise I'd just be wasting more fucking clothes...

She almost laughed. So I'm mostly naked and covered in blood. This is, like, some snuff film shit right here.

Cautiously, trying not to show any signs of weakness while simultaneously trying to not to touch the corpse more than was absolutely necessary, Hayley bent down to remove the boy's daypack from his person- not quite managing to disguise her revulsion enough to avoid cringing as the body bent in a not-attainable-in-life position. She retrieved the water bottles from the daypack and unhesitatingly poured them on herself, one after the other, a bullshit shower for bullshit times. Since the blood was fresh, she managed to make herself something-close-to-clean.

"What is it with you and heads?"

Hayley looked up at Kyle and Ema for the first time, blinking innocently. I must look like a fucking psycho right now. An adorable psycho though. But like, they've gotta understand, right? They'd probably be dead right now if it wasn't for me. And indeed, neither of them looked angry with her. Ema looked sick, in fact it appeared she'd just thrown up- poor girl...not that I can blame her -and Kyle looked...angry, but somehow not at her. He was nearly as blood-splatted as she was. Why is that? Why him and not her? Weird.

“Well. Stick with what works, right?” She laughed weakly. “I wasn't really thinking about it. It just...I had to do something. Quickly enough that he wouldn't have a chance to shoot me. Or you. Logic, right?”

Her voice was so dang calm it was freaking her out a little.

“Now there's gonna be an even bigger target on my back but hell if I don't have a good excuse this time. Not like Danya's gonna make it sound that way but still.”

But still, I'm not playing. Right?

She was almost surprised that her inner voice had no response to that.

Hayley then finally finally FINALLY turned her attention to a matter of much importance to her. To the gun that had dropped out of the now dead body's (she refused to think James's, refused to even chance feelings of guilt) hand. It hadn't traveled at all, really. It was a little bloody, but she hardly thought that mattered.

A gun a gun a gun I have a gun. Holy shitting fuck. It's so...pretty. Who thinks of guns as pretty? Damn, I really am insane. But oh well, fuck it, I HAVE A FUCKING GUN.

She put her sword down for the moment- somehow it was so much easier than last time- carefully picked it up- accidentally shooting herself right now would ruin her fucking day so hard- and admired it for a second. She realized after a moment that she had no idea if the safety was on or what- she'd never held a handgun before, after all- and, keeping her hand tight around the gun's grip, searched through dead-boy's bag with her other hand, locating the manual. She skipped straight to the word 'safety' and, comparing the gun she held to the diagrams, discovered that the safety was off. Her heart skipped a beat as she once again realized exactly how close they had all been to death, but she flipped it off for now. Reaching back into the boy's bag she found two things that could only be clips, magazines, whatever the hell you wanted to call them. She put those in her bag along with the manual, figuring she could read it on the walk back to the groundskeeper's hut.

Armed and dangerous.

Hayley's eyes flicked back to the body for a moment. So much red red blood. Gross. Centered around- huh. That was weird. There was blood still leaking steadily from where dead-boy's head had once been, but there was a spot in the middle, too, another spot where the bloodstains seemed to center themselves. Another wound? From-

Flashback.

In the heat of the moment a girl can't be expected to notice every damn thing.

Step by step. Step, step, step, forward, forward. Pathetic, stuttered sounds from a dead boy's mouth.

Step, step.

Silent as an undug grave.

More words. Words from a dead boy's-

No, not a dead boy's, words from the living.

"YOU SHUT YOUR FUCKING MOUTH!"

That was Kyle. She knew that voice so well but she never knew it to lose its temper that way, to scream, to be so full of such anger that surely it would rip something in two. Someone. Someone?

Step, step.

A shape moved with her. Forward. Perfectly synchronized, not that either knew it at the time. Dead-boy was meat in a fuckin' death sandwich. Om nom nom.

Somehow, it felt good. She wasn't a bad person.

Or at least if she was, she wasn't alone.

Hayley looked up at Kyle and realized for the first time that he was holding a knife. It was bloody.

What do I say? What's the right response to your boyfriend trying to preserve your honor by stabbing the shit out of someone? Like, normally I'm pretty sure that's uncool, but this is Survival of the Fucking Fittest. And said shit-stabbed-out-dead-boy was kind of pointing a gun at him.

“Thanks,” she said with a small smile. She retrieved her sword from the ground. It was bloody now too, obviously, but whatever. We have water, they're cleanable.

“We should probably get going, though. Someone else could've heard the gunshot. And besides, we're supposed to be meeting the others, right?”

After a moment of thought she approached Ema.

“And you should take this.”

She proffered the sword. Some part of her was possessive towards the thing but hell, it's not like I named it or anything. And I've got a gun and she doesn't have anything as far as I can tell.

“I don't think I'm gonna need it anymore.”

[V5] ALIVE:

[V5] CONCEPTS:

Those Who've Known - V4

Hollyquin
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
"Can we wash up a little bit before we leave? I feel sullied and unusual."

Yeah, that made sense. Why had she just poured all this water on herself when the fucking ocean was right there? Hayley had felt weirdly like everyone involved was going to want to go, leave, now. Maybe it was just her who didn't want to be here anymore. The more she stood here the more she had to look at Jamdead-boy's body and the more she had to worry about her own sanity. But yeah, there was no harm in staying for a while more, right? Wash off a bit more. Ema wasn't bloody, but she was a little...urgh, not clean regardless, and Kyle was just a mess. So, washing. Cleaning. Staying a little longer. Giving Hayley time to think.

Yay, thinking. Just what I want to be doing right now.

She nodded in agreement after handing the falcata off to Ema, following the two, slowly, behind them, stopping for a moment to pick through her bag for a cigarette. She lit it.

Inhale.

Exhale.

She also found her flask and, in a moment of weakness and probably not-smart-ness, took a swig.

Oh, sweet, sweet vodka, my dear friend, I love you so.

The warming sensation traveled down her throat and suddenly, magically, everything was a little bit less awful. Now, not even Hayley Kelly, lightweight extraordinare, could get drunk off of one gulp of vodka, but the combination of her still mostly empty stomach, the cigarette, and, most of all, the sheer comfort the taste gave her, the sense memory of parties and friends and sex, all of that was enough to make Hayley feel better for a few glorious seconds.

And just as quickly, the feeling was gone.

Her throat and her stomach still felt warm, though, as she walked down to the water with the cigarette still in her mouth. Inhale. Exhale. She let the water run over her bare feet. She stood her ground. She realized she was still holding the gun, still wearing her bag, and backtracked a bit, placing the first in the latter and leaving both in the sand.

Walk forward, again. Step step. Inhale, exhale.

...What's wrong with me?

That was definitely the question of the hour.

So. I killed some kid yesterday. Steve, his name was, Steve something? Whatever. Doesn't matter. See LOOK that's PART of it even, I can't even be fucked to remember the kid's fucking NAME, that's so wrong. But I felt all bad about that and it happened cause I bugged out or whatever and whatever that might have been a mistake but that was like a thousand years ago in Survival of the Fittest-time so whatever to that. But then came Jame dead-b dammit, JAMES, James fucking MULZET, and like, that made sense, right, I was the Dread Pirate Mother Fucking Roberts, rescuing my damsel in distress and shit, that made sense! Anyone would do that, anyone with the license to kill, fuck, no, it's not permission, it's fucking ENCOURAGEMENT to kill would use it to keep their friends alive, right? So it makes sense I can't feel bad about it, I was just trying to protect them, ANY-fucking-one who isn't a complete pussy would do it, right?

She was rambling. Internally, even. Keep the self loathing at bay. Stra-te-ra-gy. Reality show strategy. Inhale. Exhale.

But then why am I freaking out? Why does the fact that my voice doesn't crack anymore make me feel nervous? Why do I feel like I SHOULD feel so much fucking WORSE for all this shit? I can't even feel bad about that Steve kid anymore, sure maybe it was a mistake and I was freaking out over nothing but it's in the past now and what the fuck am I supposed to do about it now, really, right, and I'm not a bad person, I'm not, I'm not.

So what do I need this gun for? To protect me and them. Why not the sword? Other people have guns, I need one too. Am I gonna kill more people?

That voice was no longer distinguishable. Her voice, herself, was one big internal conflict. There was no good or evil, there was only a lot of really sucky cranial drama. Inhale. Exhale.

Probably. Should I feel bad about it? Is that the right thing to do, feel really damn guilty all the time? Cause I'd get sick of THAT real quick.

Inhale.

Exhale.

Hayley flicked the cigarette butt in the water. The morning air was so quiet she could hear it fizzle out.

She moved slowly into deeper water.

She turned her mind off. It was so much easier that way.
Edited by Hollyquin, Oct 26 2010, 03:06 PM.

[V5] ALIVE:

[V5] CONCEPTS:

Those Who've Known - V4

Hollyquin
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
[[OOC: Apologies for the short post, but there's not much to say. xD]]

Hayley washed.

It didn't take long. Most of the blood had come off after her impromptu shower-fail. It occurred to her that she'd never washed her hair the night before, and as a result it still had some dried blood in it. Ew. She dunked her head in the water, coming up and flipping her wet hair back in a fashion that would have been sexy had she not also been sputtering from the seawater in her nose.

She suddenly remembered how much she hated the beach.

Ffffffffffffff.

She finished cleaning herself quickly and got out of the water, irritated but sort of glad for the distraction. See? These are the times that try men's souls. Times where saltwater gets in your face. Right? Paine understood me so fucking well. She grabbed her backpack, somehow feeling much better with her gun in her hand. Safer.

Is that abnorNO HAYLEY DON'T START THINKING ABOUT THIS SHIT AGAIN. It's probably abnormal WHATEVER, this is Survival of the Fittest, everything is abnormal, what-the-fuck-ever. God, fuck this game.

Kyle wasn't yet done washing, but Ema was, and she was holding the map. In one hand. Hayley almost laughed, remembering how ridiculously impossible it had been for her to let go of her sword back when it was still hers. She looked at the gun in her hand. Weird how I can put this down. Maybe it's just cause I haven't used it yet? But Ema hasn't either and she can't put it down. Hm. Maybe she's just nervous, that would make some fucking sense. I should name this thing. I...

Vera. Definitely calling it Vera.

She giggled to herself.

Ooh, I should figure out how to do that, like, badass gunslinger shit...

She looked down at her gun and, after deliberating a moment and positioning herself over her bag, attempted to flip it. It hit the ground, or rather her backpack, since she kind of knew she was going to fail miserably and didn't feel like getting fucking sand in her brand new gun-named-Vera.

Well, I fail.

She turned her attention to Ema.

"So where do we go from here? Your stuff's at that hut, right?"

"Yeah, that's where we're supposed to go. Meet up with the others and everything," Hayley said, somewhat distractedly. And go explain to Maddy and Alex what just happened...fun. And get some clothes...I could still go get Kyle's but...I dunno. It's so fucking hot, it's kind of nice walking around all half-naked and wet.

...That's what she said.

[V5] ALIVE:

[V5] CONCEPTS:

Those Who've Known - V4

Hollyquin
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
[[OOC: Your wish is my command~]]

"As I'll ever be. I was planning to ditch some weight, but makes more sense to do that when we get there."

Hayley was playing with her gun.

What the fuck am I doing?

That was honestly not the question of the moment so much as the question of the island. Less than an hour ago (had it been? she never had any grasp on time, and not having a cell phone or an iPod to tell her the time was seriously fucking with her) she had cut a second boy's head off and now she was playing with his gun.

The main problem was that that wasn't even what was bothering her.

I'm gonna end up turning the safety off and accidentally shooting myself in the damn foot. What did my parents say? Don't play with your food, don't play with mommy's makeup, don't play with deadly weaponry...heh.

She was in a why is the first adjective I think of 'derpy'? That's not even a word... kind of mood. Her mind was spouting non-sequiturs at an alarming rate and she was finding it close to impossible to focus. Bizarre. It was like telling her mind to turn off had an actual effect. Or maybe she was just losing it.

Same difference.

She put Vera away for the moment and took out a cigarette instead. Inhale, exhale, it almost helped, and it didn't even bother her that the pack was almost half done. There's another pack left, after all. Besides, not like I'm gonna live long enough to run out, right? Hah.

Hayley wasn't sure she believed that anymore. With Vera by her side who the fuck was to say that she wasn't gonna get out of this alive?

Psh, what is this confident bullshit? Having a gun only means you're gonna live if you're willing to, you know, shoot people. INCLUDING your friends, not just assholes who point their guns at people you care about.

Yeah, well, for now I can just shoot the assholes who point their guns at people I care about, right? I can cross the other damn bridges when I get to them.

She returned her attention to Ema. She had in all honesty also completely forgotten her offer to carry Ema's stuff, and in all honesty she didn't want to anymore. She needed to stand up straight to aim. And damn straight she needed her aim more than anything right now.

"So, were you going to get dressed, or are you planning to distract enemies with your boobs?"

Hayley laughed. It was weird, hearing Ema talk like that, but she didn't really care- most of Hayley's other friends talked like that all the damn time and it was kind of comforting to hear.

"Oh, definitely the latter. Nah, like...I don't know, it's too hot out for clothes." She laughed again. "That's such a me-statement to make, damn. But yeah, I think I'll hold off until we get to my clothes. Can't stay naked forever...I guess. Maybe. Perhaps."

With a final grin and a final pull on her cigarette, she flicked the butt away and took Vera out of her bag, her grip tight to keep herself from messing around.

"Alright. We be out!"

And with that eloquent statement she walked into the trees, Ema and Kyle following close behind her.

[[Hayley Kelly, Ema Ryan and Kyle Portman continued in Going Round in Circles]]

[[THREAD CLOSED]]
Edited by Hollyquin, Nov 7 2010, 12:57 AM.

[V5] ALIVE:

[V5] CONCEPTS:

Those Who've Known - V4

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Beach: East · Next Topic »
Add Reply