Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Calculations
Topic Started: Oct 6 2010, 06:39 PM (3,342 Views)
Blastinus
Member Avatar
That's Just Crazy Talk
[ *  *  *  * ]
(Madeleine Smith continued from Wants and Needs)

As she walked further into the woods, Madeleine replayed the confrontation with Jonathan Jarocki in her mind over and over. She could have avoided killing him, that was certain, but what would have happened then? He was running towards them, and once he had cleared the truck, the whole group would have been exposed and vulnerable. And yet, there was that nagging feeling that if she had got him in his leg or arm instead, then he would have been stopped regardless without any loss of life. But then again, would he have lasted long with a bullet in any part of his body? This island didn't appear to have anything resembling a hospital.

Ultimately, Madeleine decided that there was never any right answer to the situation, and she was lucky that the only person to be hurt was the man himself. That wouldn't allow her to sleep any better, but at least she could lay the topic to rest for now. Even if everyone in her group had left her, at least they were all alive and well. That she could feel good about.

Frankly, if that's all I'm depending on for good feelings, I'm glad that Danya didn't give me a razor.

So wrapped up was she in her guilt and cynical thoughts that Madeleine didn't see Rosa laying out a change of clothes until she was nearly upon her, at which point she had already stirred up some leaves sitting on the forest floor. With a yelp of surprise, Madeleine darted behind the nearest tree, in a motion practiced through semesters of attempting to avoid people. She had grown to be quite proficient at this sort of thing. Not that it would help much, given that her bags were still poking out from beside the tree she had chosen, as it wasn't exactly that wide. Still, it was the thought that counted.

"So-sorry if I b-bothered you..." she said, peeking out from the side of the tree. "L-Listen, I'll just be over here, okay? I just...just need to sit down for a sec." She couldn't quite place who the girl was, but she recognized her as one of the Fiametta siblings. As usual, Maddy's mind was giving her a huge prodding to leave right then and there, but she was getting used to ignoring those. If she wanted to get anywhere on this island, she would have to assert herself, along with also keeping herself in the shade, and not next to that tree trunk where there wasn't any shade and she'd burn to a crisp. That was another thing on her mind.

I hope she isn't laying out those clothes to change into them. Fiametta's going to get sunburned worse than me in that little amount of clothing.
V7 Kids
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Blastinus
Member Avatar
That's Just Crazy Talk
[ *  *  *  * ]
So this Fiametta girl wasn't hostile. So far so good. But all that meant is that she probably didn't have anything good. Maddy wasn't putting much stock in the idea that somebody would be not trying to kill people, especially now that a good deal of time had gone by. Still, if she wasn't going to be trying to kill her, that was just fine, because she really needed to rest. Putting her bags down and sliding down to a seated position with her back to the tree, Maddy took out her sketchpad and a spare pencil and began drawing a weirdly-shaped tree.

Rosa shouted something about changing, and requested that Maddy not turn around, and the artist was fine with that. However, as she began drawing the tree's outline, something occurred to her: what if she wasn't changing at all, and was just tricking Madeleine into putting her back to her? She could be sneaking up with a knife or something or running off into the bushes, and the artist wouldn't know until it was too late to do something about it. Madeleine listened closer, and while there appeared to be a rustling sound of some sort, she was certain that it could mean anything. She shrugged, and continued drawing.

Time passed, not a whole lot of time, but it seemed a whole lot longer. Madeleine had barely drawn anything before setting her pad down. The rustling continued...

Maybe a quick peek. Just a peek won't hurt.

How wrong she was. It was fortunate that Maddy only saw Rosa from the side, because if Rosa had been looking over at Maddy's tree when her face had slowly slid out from behind, she probably would have been utterly offended. As it was, Maddy drew her head back and held back another yelp. She could feel her face flushing red, and she buried it in her hands to hide it, despite the apparent lack of anybody watching.

"Done!" Rosa shouted, and Maddy stood up and walked out from behind the tree, breathing slowly to calm herself down. Now that the outfit was on the girl, the artist could see precisely what she was going for, and she had to admit that it wasn't a bad tactic. Distracting the male opposition with scanty attire and good looks seemed like it had potential to work, but she'd reserve judgment on it until she actually saw it in action. After all, Maddy was wearing a short-sleeved shirt and slacks, and she still had succeeded in killing somebody, though it was best, she figured, to not mention that unless Rosa asked.

"So, uh...I'm Madeleine," she said. "I-I'm not playing at all. W-what about you?" She wasn't quite sure what to say to the girl, and she had been somewhat flustered by what she had seen, so she didn't even have her standard social tact. She prayed that Rosa didn't think that she was weird.
V7 Kids

Blastinus
Member Avatar
That's Just Crazy Talk
[ *  *  *  * ]
Apparently, Rosa and Madeleine were not alone in this part of the woods. This didn't come as much of a surprise to the young artist, who had learned through experience that if you talked to someone long enough, someone else would find you. Still, all things considered, she could have done much worse than bumping into Harun. She'd seen him every now and then, and he seemed shy and polite, much like herself. Even as he spoke, he showed his normal traits, using the end of his elaborate gun to scrape in the dirt at his feet. Madeleine would have smiled at this normally, but given that she had other things on her mind, she instead simply relaxed, and focused on the man behind Harun.

Madeleine wasn't very familiar with Rashid, but she knew from other people about his joking nature in regards to his religion. She had actually been fascinated to hear of that, and had wondered what he was like in person. Evidently, she was going to meet him in person, and she wondered whether the game had affected him at all.

At that moment, she realized that Harun had asked about how she and Rosa were doing. "Oh, uh...I-I'm okay, I guess," she said, absentmindedly straightening out the rolled-up sleeves of her blouse. "Listen, d-don't take this the wrong way, but...uh..." She struggled for the right words to say. "Are...are you gonna use that?" She gestured at the weird gun/sword thing that he was currently scraping back and forth across the ground. Ever since he'd walked up with that in his hand, she'd been concerned that her own gun was currently folded up in her bag and unloaded, putting her in a vulnerable position. Still, she trusted Harun, and the tone of her question had been fairly friendly. She was just curious, that's all, and wasn't in the mood for a fight.

I hope that he's as friendly as I figured, otherwise we could be in deep trouble, Fiametta and I.

As Madeleine stood tensed, waiting for Harun's answer, the second announcement began to blare. She was expecting to be on it, of course, but she had other things on her mind, like whether or not she'd be dead in the next few seconds.
V7 Kids

Blastinus
Member Avatar
That's Just Crazy Talk
[ *  *  *  * ]
It would have been downright stupid of Madeleine to say that the two boys' reactions to the announcement came as a shock, but when Harun raised his gun and pointed it directly at her, she gave a start and raised her hands defensively nonetheless. Both of them seemed to be on the verge of doing something drastic, and she didn't blame them. After all, she was a killer, self-defense or not. The only thing she could do now, given that she was at gunpoint, was explain herself and hope that she made it out of this confrontation alive. Otherwise, all that she did on this island would be utterly pointless.

With her shaking hands raised in front of her face, for all the good that would do, Madeleine cowered down and said, "I-I didn't want to do it. He was...he was shooting at me and my friends and I...I shot back. I was just trying to protect them!" This wasn't entirely true, as she had mostly just been acting with her own life in mind, but it was better to let that detail go unannounced.

Sure, why not lie? After all, you just killed someone. What's a couple lies compared to that?

Madeleine quickly shook her head to clear those thoughts away. "Please believe me," she said, raising herself up a bit, but keeping the hands up to let Harun know that she wasn't hostile. "I would...I wouldn't ever murder someone. I promise you that!" And with that, she stood there, whimpering softly as she waited for the man with the gun to decide her fate.
V7 Kids

Blastinus
Member Avatar
That's Just Crazy Talk
[ *  *  *  * ]
For a moment there, when Rashid had shouted at Harun to shoot her, Madeleine's heart had sank, and she had closed her eyes for the inevitable. Those eyes quickly snapped back open, however, when Harun suddenly went off on his friend, cursing him out for a number of offenses which had apparently transpired between them. The artist blinked in confusion, and at that moment, she noticed that Rosa had slipped off, either during the time when Maddy was begging for her life or a little while afterwards. While she was happy that Rosa was safe, it occurred to her that this meant that she was alone, in the middle of a forest, with a couple of properly paranoid men who appeared to be on the cusp of leaping at each others' throats, let alone hers.

I'm sorry gentlemen, but I can't let myself die that way.

And so, even though this probably would run counter to any attempts she had made to make herself trustworthy, Maddy took this opportunity to run as far away from the two men as she could. It was common sense, really. Even if Harun claimed that he trusted her, he wouldn't be comfortable putting his life into her hands. It was far better for everyone's sakes that she simply went elsewhere and attempted to hook up with someone who she knew would trust her. Even Vivien would do in this circumstance, though the thought of having to rely on him for the rest of the game did not seem appealing to her at all.

Got to find this Anna Chase person. If that man wanted me to find her, she'll probably be a safe person to ally myself with.

And how do you know that? Besides, even if she was a safe person when Whatsisname knew her, what's to say that she hasn't succumbed to suspicion and fear as well?

I have to believe that she hasn't. If everyone's insane or afraid, then I'm going to be dead sooner or later. Someone has to still be listening to reason on this island.

With those conflicting thoughts running through her mind, Maddy ran as far as her legs would carry her, with the uncomfortable realization that if nobody had a sane mind anymore, if everyone was eventually going to snap like that man who she had killed, then she would have to kill again, and again, and again, just so that she could survive. A part of her was relishing that thought, and her hand was itching to reach into that purse and grasp that weapon once more, but that was perhaps even worse. The idea of her getting used to murder, or maybe even enjoying it some day, terrified her more than the thought of dying.

(Madeleine Smith continued elsewhere)
V7 Kids

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Woods: Inland · Next Topic »
Add Reply